Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RFOS View Post
    I'm one who strongly tries to resist giving into pressure that goes against my own nature and values and it doesn't always lead to the best social results for me. There are a lot of conventions and etiquette rules that just don't make any sense to me, for example (the wedding and fashion threads for example always make me :run: So many people getting so worked up over the exact way everything "needs to" or should be, for no logical reason that I can see. I guess I try to be logical, probably to a fault sometimes, but I don't give a crap what people wear or if they commit a social "no-no" that doesn't harm anyone. One of my least favorite phrases I've started hearing recently is "No. Just no." As if saying "just no" makes something wrong and there doesn't need to be an actual reason to be so freaking judgmental of others and their choices.
    I honestly can't get too het up about someone lip synching during a competitive performance or not, but when many performance experts (and figure skating judges in this thread) say they don't think it should be done, that sets out a pretty clear idea of what "the establishment" thinks about something. If you want to go against the grain, be subversive, change someone's mind - that's fine but there will likely be negative repurcussions.

If I were skating to vocal music in a competition, I think i'd, rightly or wrongly, work hard to conform and not lip synch or sing. In reality a skater is never going to know if they would have had higher PCS if they hadn't dont it, so I think it's pretty moot.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by antmanb View Post
    I honestly can't get too het up about someone lip synching during a competitive performance or not, but when many performance experts (and figure skating judges in this thread) say they don't think it should be done, that sets out a pretty clear idea of what "the establishment" thinks about something. If you want to go against the grain, be subversive, change someone's mind - that's fine but there will likely be negative repurcussions.
    Sadly, probably true. But I certainly respect those who stick to and stand up for their principles and what they believe is right even when others either don't agree or don't approve of their taking a stand and might retaliate against them, and strive to be that type of person myself. I'm certainly not fully there yet! On a mostly OT note, Chris Kluwe is one of my favorite people at the moment for that reason: http://deadspin.com/i-was-an-nfl-pla...-an-1493208214

Fight the power!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by zaphyre14 View Post
    Look, if I like the music that I'm skating (and why would I pick it if I did't?) and I know the words, I may sing along while I'm skating. And I mean SING, not lip-synch. I don't stop skating just to sing, but if the character I'm portraying can sing AND dance at the same time, then I sure as heck can sing and skate. The judges probably can't hear me, given the size of the rink and the volume of the recording, but frankly, I don't care. I'm having a good time being Lola or Maria or The Grinch or Pippen and I'm going to show it!
    But I think what we're discussing is singing along or lip syncing to the vocals as a choreographed part of the performance, not spontaneously singing along because you like the music.
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    But I think what we're discussing is singing along or lip syncing to the vocals as a choreographed part of the performance, not spontaneously singing along because you like the music.
    I think this is fine for interpretive events but I don't think it has a place in a freeskate.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    That is what I was referring to. I sing along with the music at the rink all the time and have also done so when practising my programs.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    Sadly, probably true. But I certainly respect those who stick to and stand up for their principles and what they believe is right even when others either don't agree or don't approve of their taking a stand and might retaliate against them, and strive to be that type of person myself. I'm certainly not fully there yet! On a mostly OT note, Chris Kluwe is one of my favorite people at the moment for that reason: http://deadspin.com/i-was-an-nfl-pla...-an-1493208214

Fight the power!
    Did you enjoy Surya's backflip in Nagano too

vCash
    I did because her program was so boring. I was actually willing her to do it and she did!
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    In a way. It was gutsy of her to do it and it looks cool, and the surprise brought interest to the program, but since there is a prescribed deduction for it I would have taken it.

I feel similarly about Florent Amodio's use of vocals at Worlds a couple years ago, and he certainly used the music fantastically in that program IMO, but I was mad that he didn't get the deduction when he so obviously violated a rule. I also thought Sotnikova should have received a deduction for her Christina Aguilera vocals last season.

vCash
    great response people - thankyou. i have no intention to lip synch - well not knowingly! i am too busy concentrating on getting onto next transition and element. but for me i am looking forward to the challenge. i usually do tango style or jazz hands lol , so really wanted soemthing a bit different. i have gone with babooshka by kate bush, some of you may not be familiar with the song. i dont think the programme is a slave to the lyrics and i am trying to really skate to the melody and rhythm. i have done artistic with lyrics and those programmes did have actions relating to the words. ( if that makes sense). i know people dont like change - especially some judges - but i am hoping that some judges will welcome the move forward . i too initially was rather against it, but as an adult skater i relish the thought of skating to a track i really enjoy, and hoping it will distract me from the elements that i dread , ha ha - anything to take my mind off the jumps these days !

vCash
    Babooshka would be voidy. Are you going to wear the same outfit as Kate Bush did?

If anyone wants a great piece of vocal tango music to skate to, try this one. I used it for a program before and it works really well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDP_9EqE0Rc

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by toothbrush View Post
    i have gone with babooshka by kate bush, some of you may not be familiar with the song. i dont think the programme is a slave to the lyrics and i am trying to really skate to the melody and rhythm.
    Excellent choice! (although I may be biased because I have used "Moving" for an artistic program ) You can do lots of great contrasts between the quiet verse and the powerful chorus.
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

vCash
    Ha ha. No, no plans on sexy gold shorts and dagger outfit! Late 40's and much fatter now! Not sure what to wear. Got to remember not an exhibition piece. Decisions decisions..

vCash
    For me, eastern sectionals will be only my second skating competition evah. Should be interesting.

Toothbrush, if you need a dress, I like those from this place - they make them semi-custom for you, so you can combine elements from one dress with elements from another if you want to, add beads and etc. as you wish, and they'll do things like make certain bits larger, as needed, to fit, erm... well, to fit my big, erm... anyway, they totally custom adjust the dress: http://www.freidab.com/
    Use Yah Blinkah!

vCash
    I like dresses from figureskatewear.com. I stone them myself to save money. If you call in she will give advice about fitting adult body.

vCash
    Ooh. Will check those sites out for dresses. Need to not go down the artistic/exhibition road for costume. Fancy something floaty. But need to be careful not too long as its a free programme, thanks for the links

vCash
    Ooh. Will check those sites out for dresses. Need to not go down the artistic/exhibition road for costume. Fancy something floaty. But need to be careful not too long as its a free programme, thanks for the links
    As an adult skater, I prefer a dance skirt, rather than a freestyle skirt. And as an adult, you can go with whatever length skirt is flattering on you, so long as it doesn't interfere with your actual skating.
    Use Yah Blinkah!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GarrAarghHrumph View Post
    As an adult skater, I prefer a dance skirt, rather than a freestyle skirt. And as an adult, you can go with whatever length skirt is flattering on you, so long as it doesn't interfere with your actual skating.
    Can children not do so? I guess the fashion police might come out then and say it's a no-no.

vCash
    Can children not do so? I guess the fashion police might come out then and say it's a no-no.
    Children can wear whatever they want too; most wear standard freestyle skirts though. A child in a long skirt is more likely to stand out. Lots of adults wear different things.
    Last edited by Skittl1321; 01-17-2014 at 02:59 PM.

vCash
    well, i have decided to push the boundaries and go for vocals for my free skating programme after dithering over it for a while. going to oberstdorf for adult comp and we are the first group of skaters to work with the new rules. any judges on here ? would love to know what people think about using vocals for freeskating? my coaches were initially concerned that the judges may not like the changes. but i feel for me that skating to music i enjoy will enhance my performance. dont get me wrong i did like my free music , but i dont 'love it' and i picked it myself!
    I'm not a judge, but I have realized that I don't care for vocals in skating music. I think it's harder to enjoy the skater's performance because the lyrics distract rather than enhance the actual skating.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123