Page 9 of 39 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
    Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Grannyfan View Post
    Considering how this book ended, I wasn't sure there would be any more. I surely hope so, and I hope we get to see the TV series in the U.S. Masterpiece Mystery, maybe?
    I'm assuming there will be more, the publishers optioned the series to 10 books. I'm also assuming that

Spoiler

Quote Originally Posted by my little pony View Post
    i really dont like the FdL mysteries, but i like flavia and her dad. im always afraid they will run out of money. i think it would be really hard to cast her.and then bind that child up so she doesnt grow up or out.
    The mysteries are indeed rather weak (as they are in the No. 1 Ladies Detective books), but I still love the books for their characters and setting. Not so much the sisters, obviously, though there's no doubt more there than meets Flavia's eyes.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis@BC View Post
    It's on my list too for the same reason. I'll be interested to hear what you think.
    Finished The Swan Gondola this morning. I was pretty disappointed. It was cleverly done (especially the final reveal/twist/I'm not even sure what to call it!), but it just didn't capture my interest. I never felt swept up by it, like I felt with The Night Circus. But that was a pretty subjective response, so maybe you'll like it better.

Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    Over the years I have sought out favourite books from childhood/teen years - some I remember so well, and some have surprised me in what I did and didn't remember about them. One book has been nagging me on and off over the years, not knowing the title or author, and I finally found it this morning (yay internet!). The good news is according to a lot of blogs and comments sections, I'm not the only one with fond memories, and the publisher even reissued it in 2005. The bad news is I wished I'd known the title then and pounced on it, because those editions are now going for $300+ used.

Mind you, there was a soundtrack I really wanted in the same boat for *years* but I kept it in my cart and kept checking back now and then, and one day there it was at a reasonable cost, and I got it I've done that with out of print books too, so hopefully I'll score this children's book before too long.
    No title? No fair! You have to tell us what book it is!
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyliefan View Post
    No title? No fair! You have to tell us what book it is!
    The Fourteen Bears - link is to a blog and if you scroll down to the bottom you can see the cover and some of the charming illustrations - and here is the Amazon listing.

vCash
    The Fourteen Bears - link is to a blog and if you scroll down to the bottom you can see the cover and some of the charming illustrations - and here is the Amazon listing.
    Aww, that looks adorable!
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    Finished The Swan Gondola this morning. I was pretty disappointed. It was cleverly done (especially the final reveal/twist/I'm not even sure what to call it!), but it just didn't capture my interest. I never felt swept up by it, like I felt with The Night Circus. But that was a pretty subjective response, so maybe you'll like it better.
    I'm still waiting for my library to list this one, but I'm keeping a lid on my expectations. And really, I don't expect anything to completely sweep me away the way The Night Circus did.

Another one that's been compared to The Night Circus is Boy, Snow, Bird by Helen Oyeyemi. That one I do have on hold at the library.

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    I've been trying to read The Spymistress and I think I've just given up. I wanted to love it--the main character and her life seem so fascinating--but I just can't get past the author's writing style.

Smithsonian's article about Elizabeth Van Lew is a pretty good read, though: http://www.smithsonianmag.com/histor...755584/?no-ist
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    Aww, that looks adorable!
    it does! i still have most of my books from when i was little, i was hoping i might have one for her
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

From the Bloc
    vCash
    it does! i still have most of my books from when i was little, i was hoping i might have one for her
    Aw, thanks. I do need to check with my parents, who probably have much of our stuff still in boxes deep in the basement, and my sister, who ended up with a lot of our childhood toys when her children were young.

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Sometimes those Amazon listings are insane. There was an out of print CD I wanted a few years ago that was listed on Amazon for $275. Craziness. I eventually got it from eBay for $5.

Is the book really that collectible? Hard to believe if it was reissued in 2005, especially if it was popular. Sometimes the prices on Amazon are deceptively high: http://www.michaeleisen.org/blog/?p=358

Still expensive, but considerably cheaper used at my favorite Better World Books: http://www.betterworldbooks.com/The-...Fourteen+Bears

ETA: Rats, it says out of stock.

But there's one available on Half.com for $133.
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    at abe books, they have the 14 bears for the bargain price of $134
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Yes in some ways the internet is the best thing that ever happened to the book lover, and in some ways the worst. I like used bookstores and enjoy hunting around for vintage cookbooks especially - but now that so many of them are selling online, the deals just aren't there any more. I remember once being in a small shop in a tiny village on the northern tip of the Big Island in Hawaii of all places - I thought I'd really score there, but the prices were outrageous, and sure enough, the owner was behind the counter tapping away on some reseller site.

I still find a few though There's a little summer town not far from here that has two decent shops, and at one of them, I almost feel bad about how little I've paid for the stacks of books I've found there!

Same thing happens to my husband, who is a music collector - he can still find a lot of deals, but shops won't negotiate like they used to, and the big scores are few and far between. Plus, since the masses are all moving to downloads, the market has narrowed to the hard core buyers, usually older, and usually with money to spend on what they want, so sellers can pretty much name their price.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    at abe books, they have the 14 bears for the bargain price of $134
    Saw that There was a vintage cookbook I wanted for years that was always around $200 so when I found it for about $70 I treated myself Ditto a soundtrack - when it suddenly came up for about $35 instead of $150-200 I pounced, but unfortunately it was incomplete - there were supposed to be 2 CDS, and I only got the one. I didn't bother trying to return it because I still wanted the one CD, and I didn't want to go through the trouble of fighting with some guy in France about it.

vCash
    That's the Amazon Canada listing. The US Amazon listing is around $153.00. It's all what the market will bear. When someone comes along and lowballs the price, it will go down.

INTJ
    vCash
    Just finished Before I Go To Sleep by S.J. Watson. It sucked me in despite having to massively ignore the unrealistic amnesia of the protagonist. It's a little gimmicky at parts but it's 1:30 in the morning and I intended to be asleep by 10pm so I guess it isn't that bad
    "Beautiful things don't ask for attention." -The Secret Life of Walter Mitty

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    I have been on my Dominican Republic kick and just finished In the Time of the Butterflies.

I have an equivocal opinion--I liked that the author made the Mirabal sisters very human and flawed, not idealized, even though she said she had mostly filled in the blanks herself and the characters are not truly historical ones. I had become interested in the Trujillo dictatorship and have come to the conclusion that all dictators use the same playbook. It's like Stalin, Hitler, Mao and Trujillo knew each other and had a correspondence or at least attended Dictatorship 101 together.

However, there is something about the style of writing that bothered me, but I can't quite put my finger on it. I suppose the style is a bit self-conscious and does not feel natural. A little bit precious. The book was pretty easy to put down and come back to in a few days--I wasn't absorbed in it. I would give it 3/5 stars if I were feeling generous.

The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao also covers the Trujillo years in the DR but is a much stronger, grittier and powerful work. I'd go for that one if you were interested in reading about the DR or just wanted to read a great, Pulitzer prize-winning book.

Now I am switching back to Trollope and am on the second of the Palliser series, Phineas Finn. I am not so much interested in the politics of the time but do enjoy Trollope's writing and character development.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    I have been on my Dominican Republic kick and just finished In the Time of the Butterflies.

I have an equivocal opinion--I liked that the author made the Mirabal sisters very human and flawed, not idealized, even though she said she had mostly filled in the blanks herself and the characters are not truly historical ones. I had become interested in the Trujillo dictatorship and have come to the conclusion that all dictators use the same playbook. It's like Stalin, Hitler, Mao and Trujillo knew each other and had a correspondence or at least attended Dictatorship 101 together.

However, there is something about the style of writing that bothered me, but I can't quite put my finger on it. I suppose the style is a bit self-conscious and does not feel natural. A little bit precious. The book was pretty easy to put down and come back to in a few days--I wasn't absorbed in it. I would give it 3/5 stars if I were feeling generous.
    I'm biased. . . Alvarez taught creative writing at my alma mater, and she just didn't seem like a very friendly person, although I should say I never did take a class with her. Heard varying reports of her teaching skills. Seemed like almost all the very heavily published profs were kind of crummy teachers, whereas the best teachers (in my experience) didn't publish much. (Hello thread drift: Are colleges/universities for teaching, or are they a place where people can get a paycheck for teaching in a kind of half-assed manner while doing other projects? Nope, I'm not opinionated at all )
    BARK LESS. WAG MORE.

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    Ugh, I've been far too busy/distracted to read much lately. I finally finished re-reading the Harry Potter series that I started MONTHS ago. The fact that I've read them before (more than once) made it so that I could read at a slow pace because I know the story so well I didn't have to go back and reread sections if it had been a while - but that's a double-edged sword, as I also didn't prioritize it. And I'm still reading the fun travelling Brit nurses story from back in September! it's not a long book, and it's an easy read, I just haven't made the time.

So this weekend, I started reading Alif the Unseen, which is already really engaging and I wish I was at home curled up with it on this lovely day. Fingers crossed that I can maintain that enthusiasm and focus when I'm not at work
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LilJen View Post
    I'm biased. . . Alvarez taught creative writing at my alma mater, and she just didn't seem like a very friendly person, although I should say I never did take a class with her. Heard varying reports of her teaching skills. Seemed like almost all the very heavily published profs were kind of crummy teachers, whereas the best teachers (in my experience) didn't publish much. (Hello thread drift: Are colleges/universities for teaching, or are they a place where people can get a paycheck for teaching in a kind of half-assed manner while doing other projects? Nope, I'm not opinionated at all )
    I find it to be true IME about teachers and publishing being inversely related. Have you read her books?
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by genevieve View Post
    Ugh, I've been far too busy/distracted to read much lately. I finally finished re-reading the Harry Potter series that I started MONTHS ago. The fact that I've read them before (more than once) made it so that I could read at a slow pace because I know the story so well I didn't have to go back and reread sections if it had been a while - but that's a double-edged sword, as I also didn't prioritize it. And I'm still reading the fun travelling Brit nurses story from back in September! it's not a long book, and it's an easy read, I just haven't made the time.

So this weekend, I started reading Alif the Unseen, which is already really engaging and I wish I was at home curled up with it on this lovely day. Fingers crossed that I can maintain that enthusiasm and focus when I'm not at work
    I loved Alif! I finished it about a month ago and it was such an engaging and fun read. I hope you enjoy it.
    "If people are looking for guarantees, they should buy appliances at Sears and stay away from human relationships."~Prancer

I'm not going to get into specifics, but it's certainly frozen over.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by modern_muslimah View Post
    I loved Alif! I finished it about a month ago and it was such an engaging and fun read. I hope you enjoy it.
    SOLD!

(Sometimes the instant gratification of ebooks is a dangerous, dangerous thing).

Page 9 of 39 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast