Page 5 of 38 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dbell1 View Post
    Prancer, did you get annoyed by the 'big' words in the book? The N.Y. Times reviewer seemed ticked at the use of obscure words.
    I wasn't annoyed, although I did look a few of them up to be sure that I was guessing the meaning from context correctly . I did wonder why they were using so many; one of them turned out to be a medieval word with a perfectly good modern synonym and I couldn't see any purpose for using a medieval word--they weren't describing a situation that was in any way medieval, even psychologically. But I didn't find the words too disruptive.

I was more annoyed by the pop culture references in the book and sometimes had trouble keeping all the people straight; there are a LOT of people involved in both campaigns and some of them are mentioned a lot without really standing out for doing something significant.

Also, I would never, ever recommend this book to anyone who finds the f-bomb offensive.
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    Also, I would never, ever recommend this book to anyone who finds the f-bomb offensive.
    I don't find the word itself offensive, but I've thought the phrase "f-bomb" ceased to be amusing the second time I heard it -- surely there are less heavy-handed euphemisms available if needed.

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gkelly View Post
    I don't find the word itself offensive, but I've thought the phrase "f-bomb" ceased to be amusing the second time I heard it -- surely there are less heavy-handed euphemisms available if needed.
    I would be perfectly happy to just say ****.

But you see what happens when you just say ****.

If you have a suggestion for another phrase that you prefer, I will be sure to use it when addressing you.
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    I am taking a break from the James, don't have the stomach for it now and am reading Empress Dowager Cixi: The Concubine Who Launched Modern China. Cixi was Chinese equivalent of Catherine The Great, trying to drag her country into modernity and onto the world stage, kicking and screaming. She was also a believer in diplomacy and avoided war as much as was reasonable but once a war was inevitable, she made good decisions.

Another startling similarity with Catherine is that she allowed an inimical mind to educate her heir. In the Imperial Russia, the Grand Duke Paul was brought up by a courtier, Count Panin IIRC, who hated Catherine and everything she stood for. Paul was brought up believing in backward doctrines. Same is true for Cixi's heir brought up by the Grand Tutor Weng.

I don't understand why these powerful and smart women allowed such harmful influences to permeate their heirs' minds. These influences would ultimately almost negate their own achievements.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Double Down sounds interesting and I might just borrow it from the library. It's available as an e-book so I don't have to go out and borrow it. Yay!

I've been listening to Alif the Unseen and I am loving it so far. I'm surprised because I don't usually read fantasy and I'm not use to listening to audiobooks. I tried to listen to Sense and Sensibility but a couple of hours in, I got bored. Alif is keeping me gripped. It's the perfect way to pass my commutes.

I'm also reading al-Ghazzali's Deliverance from Error. It's a thin book but it's a dense book. It's much different from what I expected. He has spent half the book discussing different theological and philosophical groups from the 11th-12th century. I'm more interested in his personal spiritual journey so I'm hoping I get to the part soon.
    "If people are looking for guarantees, they should buy appliances at Sears and stay away from human relationships."~Prancer

vCash
    Finished The Devil Wears Prada. I enjoyed it quite a bit . Having seen the movie first, I now see that it was definitely an adaptation and not true-to-the-book retelling. A lot happened in the book that was completely different from the movie and vice versa.

I've started Cane River. So far my one book a month resolution is holding up!

vCash
    Got about 20 pages into the library copy of Double Down, gave up and bought the kindle book. I think I need new glasses, my eyes were hurting. Plus I can click on all of those odd words to find out the meaning. Loving it so far. I'm in Part II where Romney has decided to run.

Also trying to read This Town: 2 Parties and A Funeral, also about DC politics. Not planned, they just both came in at the same time.

vCash
    Got about 20 pages into the library copy of Double Down, gave up and bought the kindle book. I think I need new glasses, my eyes were hurting. Plus I can click on all of those odd words to find out the meaning. Loving it so far. I'm in Part II where Romney has decided to run. .
    That's where the book gets really

I just read 2/3 of Parrotfish, about a female to male transgender high school student. It's really well written, and some of it seems to mirror what my transgender student went through.

vCash
    Currently reading Wideacre by Philippa Gregory. It's impossible to give any kind of synopsis without some very and spoilers, but anyone here who's read it will know what I mean when I say WTF?????????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!

Put it this way: you all think Flowers in the Attic was bad????

It's also very addicting. I also have The Favored Child and Meridon, the other two books in the Wideacre series, on deck.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    I wasn't annoyed, although I did look a few of them up to be sure that I was guessing the meaning from context correctly . I did wonder why they were using so many; one of them turned out to be a medieval word with a perfectly good modern synonym and I couldn't see any purpose for using a medieval word--they weren't describing a situation that was in any way medieval, even psychologically. But I didn't find the words too disruptive.

I was more annoyed by the pop culture references in the book and sometimes had trouble keeping all the people straight; there are a LOT of people involved in both campaigns and some of them are mentioned a lot without really standing out for doing something significant.

I'm about 2/3 through it and have looked up a couple of words, too. I was right about them based on context. I think at least two were labeled "archaic" in my default Kindle dictionary (which is Oxford) and I'm not sure what the purpose of using an archaic word in a new book is, other than proving how massive your vocabulary is.

It is a compelling book, though. I wasn't expecting it to be as interesting as the 2008 version, so I am pleasantly surprised.

vCash
    I hadn't read a full book in a long time, I lost my reading habit a few years ago, but I'm trying to get it back!

Anyway over the past two weeks I've read two books: "As Esganadas" by Jô Soares and I've just finished "American Rust" by Philipp Meyer. The former probably will be lost in translation unless you read it in its original portuguese, Jô Soares is a brazilian comedian so his writing style reflects that, unfortunately he abuses cliches a little too much for my taste in this book and tends to plug all the historical research he has done in a not very subtle way making it superfluous, it was still a nice read. "American Rust" on the other hand is the very opposite of that, you have all the american stereotypes there, the deadbeat dad, the high school football star fallen out of grace, the kids too smart for their small towns, every one of them and yet the author manages to tell the story in such a way that you never ever feel like he is insulting your intelligence by resorting to commonplaces, all the characters feel like real people, it's just an awesome book, I binge read the last 150 pages today. I can't wait to get my hands on Meyer's latest work.

vCash
    Double Down is finished. Loved it. Romney came off, to me at least, as a decent man with a tendency to put his expensive shoes in his mouth. Ann came off as an entitled, protective shrew. His supporting cast of clownish Republicans didn't help. Loved how bad Chris Christie (my governor) came off, but he redeemed himself a touch with Sandy. Blistering look at how the PACs on both sides tried to buy the election.

Bill Clinton was entertaining. Loved the backstory of how much the Romney team hated Clint Eastwood's infamous chair talk at the convention. Can't wait for the 2016 book.

Not sure what's up next reading wise. I've got too many choices as usual.

vCash
    Double Down is finished. Loved it. Romney came off, to me at least, as a decent man with a tendency to put his expensive shoes in his mouth. Ann came off as an entitled, protective shrew. His supporting cast of clownish Republicans didn't help. Loved how bad Chris Christie (my governor) came off, but he redeemed himself a touch with Sandy. Blistering look at how the PACs on both sides tried to buy the election.

Bill Clinton was entertaining. Loved the backstory of how much the Romney team hated Clint Eastwood's infamous chair talk at the convention. Can't wait for the 2016 book.

Not sure what's up next reading wise. I've got too many choices as usual.
    Screaming and vomiting was sort of how I imagined it, but I didn't think they literally did that!

vCash
    I wondered how the Romney team felt about it, since Eastwood was quite squirm inducing on tv.

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Bill Clinton was entertaining.
    My second favorite story was the one about Bill Clinton holding Obama hostage in a limo while he told stories, holding him by the arm and saying, "Just one more second" while Obama seethed about being late. And then Obama invited other people to join the two of them at their dinner for two because he couldn't stand to be alone with Bill and his rambling any more.

vCash
    I re-read The Great Gatsby yesterday while my students were watching Romeo & Juliet. I hadn't read it since high school, and I really enjoyed it. But I can see why all the juniors (which is when they read it in my school) hated it. I think I liked it in high school, but who knows?

Daisy

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessLeppard View Post
    I re-read The Great Gatsby yesterday while my students were watching Romeo & Juliet. I hadn't read it since high school, and I really enjoyed it. But I can see why all the juniors (which is when they read it in my school) hated it. I think I liked it in high school, but who knows?

Daisy

I wish we would realize that force feeding high school kids books with themes that are beyond their years is not a great idea. They decide they hate it and never pick it up again.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PDilemma View Post
    I wish we would realize that force feeding high school kids books with themes that are beyond their years is not a great idea. They decide they hate it and never pick it up again.
    THIS

vCash
    But then, how do you introduce them to great literature? Not many of the people who say you shouldn't "force" it in high school ever offer good alternatives.

I LOVED literature in high school, but I hated math with a passion. But no one ever says you shouldn't "force" math. Too bad for me, I just happened to have the wrong preference.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

vCash
    Has anyone read the new Jonathan Kellerman book "Killer"?
    pug lover

Page 5 of 38 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast