Page 32 of 39 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 ... LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Zemgirl View Post
    Books are not vegetables, they are not full of good for me nutrients. Therefore, I will not pick my reading material based on whether it's supposed to be good for me or not. What's good for me is to read what I enjoy
    This!

BTW: I have read romances which were better and more satisfying than so-called "serious" literature.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatesindreams View Post
    BTW: I have read romances which were better and more satisfying than so-called "serious" literature.
    Me, too. I'm perplexed as to why some people dismiss romance novels as inherently unrealistic. Sure, some aren't very true to life - but you'd think that nobody ever has a satisfying romantic relationship.

I'll just leave this link, even though most of the books mentioned are not really my favorites.

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatesindreams View Post
    Coming in October:

Elsa Schiaparelli: A Biography
    by Meryle Secrest

It's the first actual biography of her, apparently.
    It will be on my list.
    oh hello there!

thanks
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

vCash
    I'll look out for that, too. Although I can't think of Schiaparelli without immediately envisioning Rosalind Russell's three-eyed sweater in the country house lunch scene of The Women.
    My job requires me to be a juggler, but that does not mean that I enjoy working with clowns.

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    I am reading Frozen Solid, which so far is pretty much your standard thriller about a plot to infect humanity with a disease combined with the "something weird was found in the ice" story, but I must say, if ever I had any desire to go to Antarctica--and I don't think I have--then this book would surely have destroyed every tiny inkling. There are places humans just aren't meant to be.

I am also getting the impression the world is going to come to a catastrophic end any day now, one way or another. If one of the more well-known options doesn't do us in, this book offers several other possibilities .
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

vCash
    Books are not vegetables, they are not full of good for me nutrients. Therefore, I will not pick my reading material based on whether it's supposed to be good for me or not. What's good for me is to read what I enjoy
    Fair enough . . . but what about people who enjoy the "good for me" books? I'm only half joking. Sometimes people talk like there's Serious Literature, which people read only out of duty, and there's trashy beach reads, which people truly enjoy. But that's not always the case.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyliefan View Post
    Fair enough . . . but what about people who enjoy the "good for me" books?
    Well, in that case they are reading the books for pleasure, not out of obligation, so more power to them

vCash
    Me, too. I'm perplexed as to why some people dismiss romance novels as inherently unrealistic. ...
    Especially with certain true life romances that seem less realistic than some fiction (Henry VIII and Anne Boleyn may be one example).

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    I am reading Frozen Solid, which so far is pretty much your standard thriller about a plot to infect humanity with a disease combined with the "something weird was found in the ice" story, but I must say, if ever I had any desire to go to Antarctica--and I don't think I have--then this book would surely have destroyed every tiny inkling. There are places humans just aren't meant to be.

I am also getting the impression the world is going to come to a catastrophic end any day now, one way or another. If one of the more well-known options doesn't do us in, this book offers several other possibilities .
    I want to go to the Antarctic. Maybe I should read this so I'll be better prepared. I just don't want to get eaten by a leopard seal. The orca are too smart to be interested in people (they know we wouldn't be very good food), but seals aren't as savvy.
    Those who never succeed themselves are always the first to tell you how.

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rfisher View Post
    I want to go to the Antarctic. Maybe I should read this so I'll be better prepared. I just don't want to get eaten by a leopard seal. The orca are too smart to be interested in people (they know we wouldn't be very good food), but seals aren't as savvy.
    There are no leopard seals so far. Everyone who is on station is sick or crazy or both, and they all have raw, peeling hands from the lack of humidity. The protagonist is exhausted all the time because she, like everyone else, got off the plane and gasped at the cold, thus giving her lungs frostbite. They have pods for rooms, the food tastes of the chlorine they use to prevent bacterial growth during long storage, the lights are all motion-activated, and it's always dark. And the layers upon layers of clothes they have to wear--how does anyone move? Oh, and they all get one two-minute shower per week, which is a total dealbreaker right there.
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

vCash
    Just finished The Lost Traveller, the second of Antonia White's four novels. I wish she had written more.

Moving on to the last volume of Olivia Manning's Balkan Trilogy which has been on the TBR pile for quite some time now.
    My job requires me to be a juggler, but that does not mean that I enjoy working with clowns.

vCash
    The comments about romance novels reminded me of this, which showed up on my Facebook newsfeed the other day.
    I know I've read a few in the "Women Running from Houses" genre in my day.

http://www.anorak.co.uk/400107/news/...aperback.html/

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rfisher View Post
    I've wanted to go to Antarctica for years, ever since I read Alfred Lansing's "Endurance" about Shackleton's voyage ( and I recommend the book with all my heart to anybody who loves travel/ adventure/ exploration narratives.) I so want to walk on Elephant Island, but only as a "soft" adventure, alas ( cruise? lol)
    Recently saw leopard seals live for the first time ( at a zoo). They look vicious, alien and incredibly impressive.
    improving my ballad- like lines

vCash
    Finish Killer Angels and loved it! It was nice to read a US civil war story that did not involve all that mind numbing, headache inducing, barf worthy melodrama.

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Grannyfan View Post
    The comments about romance novels reminded me of this, which showed up on my Facebook newsfeed the other day.
    I know I've read a few in the "Women Running from Houses" genre in my day.

http://www.anorak.co.uk/400107/news/...aperback.html/
    When I was about 14, I read lots of Gothics, and I figured if I scrolled through long enough, I would find a familiar name or cover. And I did! Three authors and four covers.

It was always so easy to grab one off the rack--the covers always made Gothics obvious.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    Finish Killer Angels and loved it! It was nice to read a US civil war story that did not involve all that mind numbing, headache inducing, barf worthy melodrama.
    This is perennially on school summer reading lists too.

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    You wannabe Polies might find this story interesting: A Mysterious Death at the South Pole. Apparently this death inspired Frozen Solid, although there is a pretty much no resemblance between the stories.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    I'd recommend these two Civil War novels:
    The Black Flower by Howard Bahr, about the Battle of Fredericksburg and the aftermath. It think it was released around the same time as Cold Mountain and got kind of lost in all the acclaim over that one. It's excellent.

Widow of the South by Robert Hicks. Based on a true story about a woman whose home was turned into a makeshift hospital and some of her property into a Civil War cemetery.

vCash
    Gothics were the first "Adult" books I discovered after finishing all the "Young Adult" books in my local library just before I started high school. For some reason, the Gothics were shelved in the corner opposite the YA cases, and when I turned around, there they were. I started with Barbara Michaels' "The Master of Blacktower" and went through the entire case: Victoria Holt, Mary Stewart - still love "The Moonspinners", Phyllis A Whitney, Madeline Brent, et al. The covers didn't bother me, but I did wonder why so many women felt it necessary to flee the house in the dark, barefoot and in flowing nightgowns.

My church summer festival's garage sale had books cheap so I picked up a bunch of Dick Francis mysteries and I bought Evanovich's newest Stephanie Plum at BJs yesterday.
    I'd rather be thought of as absolutely ridiculous than as absolutely boring.

vCash
    Mary Stewart - still love "The Moonspinners"
    Me too, although I confess I read the book after seeing Hayley Mills in the movie.

Page 32 of 39 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 ... LastLast