Page 27 of 38 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast
    Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by elka_sk8 View Post
    Ended up picking up Animal Dreams by Barbara Kingsolver. Loved Poisonwood Bible and so far this one is pretty good too. I actually can't believe no one has ever made a film adaptation of Poisonwood Bible- right?? It would be pretty tricky to do it well I suppose- perhaps for the best.
    I think it would be too tricky -- but some of her other books would make great movies. Flight Behaviour in particular (her most recent), or Prodigal Summer.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
    I've finished Sister Carrie and have moved on to The Young Lions by Irwin Shaw. Even more good times lay ahead for me, I'm sure.
    Whee Irwin Shaw fans! I feel like he's an all but forgotten writer, despite his string of very excellent books a few decades ago - most now seem to be out of print

Quote Originally Posted by elka_sk8 View Post
    Ended up picking up Animal Dreams by Barbara Kingsolver. Loved Poisonwood Bible and so far this one is pretty good too. I actually can't believe no one has ever made a film adaptation of Poisonwood Bible- right?? It would be pretty tricky to do it well I suppose- perhaps for the best.
    I haven't read any of her fiction, but if you like the writing, then Animal, Vegetable, Miracle is really good. It's a year living off the land, a concept that has now been done to death, but she was one of the first and it's a good read.

I'm getting on a plane tomorrow so have been saving the new Peter Mayle - The Corsican Caper - for some light travel reading. Also snipped out the NY Times crossword on Sunday, so should be good to go!

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
    I've finished Sister Carrie and have moved on to The Young Lions by Irwin Shaw. Even more good times lay ahead for me, I'm sure.
    One of today's bargain bin specials: Short Stories: Five Decades

What did you think of Sister Carrie?

I finished the Noa P. book. No one in the book is likeable and I was often by the dialogue, but overall, I thought it was pretty good. I'm not sure why so many reviews talk about Noa being an unreliable narrator, however; she's honest, just closed and secretive. And unlike a lot of the reviewers, I liked the ending, once I thought about it.
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

Saint Smugpawski
    Cutting Down Privet Because Food Prices Are Going Up Next Year
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    What did you think of Sister Carrie?
    I loved it, though it started to feel rather rushed towards the end like he just wanted to finish and be done with it, but I chalk that up to first novel jitters so it's certainly not a complaint. The ending was not a surprise, but again, not a complaint. I would have been annoyed if it DID end differently. I don't want to go on a Dreiser bender so that's why I moved on to Shaw, but I will hit another Dreiser very soon.
    The fastest thing out of New Jersey since Tricky Nicky in a Muscovian handbasket

vCash
    I finished the smallpox book (it was way better than I thought it would be and I learned something, too, but it did take me a while to get through it) and am now into C.S. Harris' "Why Kings Confess" which centers around a secret French delegation sent to London to broker a peace deal between Napolean and Britain. Meanwhile, Sebastien's wife, Hero, is due to deliver their first child in potentially breech birth which has Sebastien seeking help from a midwife whose lover he killed while fighting in Portugal. And their friend, surgeon Paul Gibson is battling opium addition he resorted to to deal with phantom-limb pain in a leg he lost five years ago. I'm really enjoying the concept of of Regency-era Sherlock mixed with historical politics and the illicit affairs of monarchs.
    I'd rather be thought of as absolutely ridiculous than as absolutely boring.

Just me
    vCash
    I'm almost done with the third book of Stephanie Lauren's Bastian Club Novels. Not as happy with these as I was with her Cynster Novels.

Has anyone read The Black Cobra Quartet? Before I invest, I'd like to know how these compare.
    If this is to end in fire
    Then we will all burn together

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    I wanted to like To Rise Again at a Decent Hour (Joshua Ferris) ... but I just couldn't. After the third 4-page description (or 12-page description) of something completely mundane, it stopped being clever and was just irritating. After the fifth one I was done. This guy is waaay too much in love with the sound of his own voice.

Plus I just picked up Medicine Walk from the library and would much rather engross myself in that one. Richard Wagamese hasn't disappointed me yet.

having a nice day
    vCash
    Prancer wrote: "JCO" and "feel-good novel" are contradictions in terms.

So I found out by being desperate enough to read "we were the mulvaneys"
    Roommate loved it of course :-P and requested more of this ilk. Or eech as I would say.
    WHY is this author so popular??
    Have a nice day!

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Nan View Post
    I'm almost done with the third book of Stephanie Lauren's Bastian Club Novels. Not as happy with these as I was with her Cynster Novels.

Has anyone read The Black Cobra Quartet? Before I invest, I'd like to know how these compare.
    I've read a couple of Bastions (agree; rather meh) and a couple more of the Cynsters (some were good, some were rather meh), and I liked the Black Cobra books overall.

Quote Originally Posted by immoimeme View Post

Roommate loved it of course :-P and requested more of this ilk. Or eech as I would say.
    Well, she's a very good writer across the board, regardless of the genre she chooses. And she's very dark, which a lot of people like.
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash

Some of us like to feed our inner Eeyore, especially those of us with a Russian background. The Mulvaneys are waiting on my bookshelf (that's right, not a Kindle, still a Luddite) while I finish the Moscow Saga which makes JCO look like Sponge Bob.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    I saw "Gettysburg" the other day and have decided to read the book, has anyone else read "Killer Angels" by Michael Shaara? And what did you think of it.

Just me
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    I've read a couple of Bastions (agree; rather meh) and a couple more of the Cynsters (some were good, some were rather meh), and I liked the Black Cobra books overall.
    Thanks.
    If this is to end in fire
    Then we will all burn together

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    I saw "Gettysburg" the other day and have decided to read the book, has anyone else read "Killer Angels" by Michael Shaara? And what did you think of it.
    I know my dad liked it (retired Army guy, loves military history). I haven't read it myself, though.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

Liberal Furry
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by zaphyre14 View Post
    I finished the smallpox book (it was way better than I thought it would be and I learned something, too, but it did take me a while to get through it) and am now into C.S. Harris' "Why Kings Confess" which centers around a secret French delegation sent to London to broker a peace deal between Napolean and Britain. Meanwhile, Sebastien's wife, Hero, is due to deliver their first child in potentially breech birth which has Sebastien seeking help from a midwife whose lover he killed while fighting in Portugal. And their friend, surgeon Paul Gibson is battling opium addition he resorted to to deal with phantom-limb pain in a leg he lost five years ago. I'm really enjoying the concept of of Regency-era Sherlock mixed with historical politics and the illicit affairs of monarchs.
    Love that series, it's one one my favourites- I am far too invested in the doings of Hero and Sebastian. In a similar vein, if you can find them- Kate Ross's regency series about Julian Kestrel are excellent too. Sadly, she only completed 4 of them before she died very young in the 1990s.

I am working my way through the Maisie Dobbs series- on volume 9 now- only one more to go before I have to wait a year or so for the next one. I am enjoying the journey through the 1920s and early 1930s. This would make an excellent miniseries if they did it right.
    I know. But I do not approve. And I am not resigned.
    (Edna St Vincent Millay)

having a nice day
    vCash
    I tried "blonde" and some of her short stories. She uses commas like didion used question marks and periods, ie too many too often. JCO is hereby banished from my reading list.

I'll see if library has that "night film" y'all keep talking about.

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    I'll see if library has that "night film" y'all keep talking about.
    Are you into the films of David Lynch and Stanley Kubrik and the like?

It's not a requirement, but I think it would help.

vCash
    Thanks, Cygnus. I've read the Kestrel books and agree that it's a shame Ross didn't live to continue the series. I really like Sebastien and Hero; Harris has developed them well and consistently over the series and the mysteries are always complicated and satisfying.

I've now moved on to totally fluff - a cozy mystery titled "A Dollhouse to Die For" by Cate Price. I'm only about 40 pages in but there have already been enough niggly little errors to irk me (a 24 x 30 inch wooden, fully furnished dollhouse is going to be too heavy for a thief to just snatch off a table and run off with, for one thing). But I need something mindless at the moment and this pretty much fits the bill. I'm clearing my mental palate for next Tuesday when Gabaldon's "Written in My Own Heart's Blood" comes out.
    I'd rather be thought of as absolutely ridiculous than as absolutely boring.

having a nice day
    vCash
    Kubrick fan eys, Lynch not at all. Library did have "night film" and am already almost 1/2 way thru. I like the format used v much. Makes it easier to "play along at home." Feels v contemporary. Storyline holding my interest altho I'm not finding the characters particularly interesting.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

From the Bloc
    vCash
    For light summer reading, I really enjoyed Peter Mayle's The Corsican Caper. It was very short and not heavy on plot, but I do love his writing and the insistence of every character on stopping everything to enjoy a good lunch Highly recommended for a lazy afternoon in a deck chair, or perhaps curled up on a rainy day when you'd rather be outside.

Page 27 of 38 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast