Page 24 of 38 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast

vCash
    I finished Kate Quinn's "The Serpent and the The Pearl" Saturday evening and it's a darned good thing I'd bought the second volume "The Lion and the Rose" at the same time, because the "ending" of S&P wasn't an ending, just a cliffhanger to get you to the rest of the story. I really hate it when authors do that; it's just smacks of extorting money from the reader. Fortunately, this sotry is good enough that I'd have been really annoyed if I didn't have the next volume on hand and couldn't go straight on to find out What Happened. OTOH, I'm kind of disappointed with L&R because the resolution of the cliff-hanger too less than 10 pages and then the story skipped forward a year and half and the cliff hanger isn't mentioned again. Quinn's portrayal of the Borgia clan is different from any I've already ready, though and the sub-plots intertwine just enough to keep my interest sharp.
    I'd rather be thought of as absolutely ridiculous than as absolutely boring.

Just me
    vCash
    Nook owners, if you like fantasy and haven't read Robin Hobb yet, this is a great way to start:

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/assa...=9780553897487

Assassin's Apprentice (Farseer Series #1), first of a three part series for 99 cents.
    If this is to end in fire
    Then we will all burn together

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyliefan View Post
    A 15-word tattoo? That's gonna hurt like crazy.
    My current text tattoo has 11 words, no big.

vCash
    Ow.

(I'm REALLY not good with pain!)
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

Reality TV's Bytch
    vCash

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    I loved Mary Stewart as a teenager. Her heroines were always smart and were never dithering handwringers. I think I read This Rough Magic about 20 times. RIP Ms. Stewart. Your books were magic.
    Those who never succeed themselves are always the first to tell you how.

vCash
    I just finished Lexicon by Max Barry. I really enjoyed it, once I figured out that it wasn't being told in order. You will figure out the big twist(s) early on as well, but then I'm not entirely sure we weren't supposed to, either.

It was classified as Dystopian, but I don't think that's correct. It's more of an adventure/thriller type book.

vCash
    I just finished The Book Thief and man if that didn't make me weepy! Besides the sad ending, it was also one of those books that I was just sad to finish because I enjoyed it so much and didn't want it to end.

What to read next??

I'm not going to get into specifics, but it's certainly frozen over.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    I figured; I'm just annoyed I posted it before I saw the error.

But anyway....YALSA's list of Two Ten Teen Book nominees is out: http://www.ala.org/news/press-releas...p-ten-nominees

Anyone read any of those? I want to get a couple of books for my daughter to read this summer.
    I read Eleanor and Park which was darker than I expected (given that at the time, I had only read her Attachments, which is more of a romantic comedy. It was a decent read, but I overall, I liked Fangirl better.

I haven't read Gleason's YA book, but I've read several of her adult books, and she is... really hit or miss. The Gardella Chronicles started off a good series, then sort of went off the rails in the final books. A couple of her other paranormal historicals I really liked, but I've pretty much hated everything else of hers that I read.

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by elka_sk8 View Post
    I just finished The Book Thief and man if that didn't make me weepy! Besides the sad ending, it was also one of those books that I was just sad to finish because I enjoyed it so much and didn't want it to end.
    ITA! I didn't even want to start another book after finishing that one because I was pretty sure nothing would live up.

vCash
    Loved The Book Thief as well.
    pug lover

vCash
    I'm the weirdo who couldn't make it through the Book Thief. Kept expecting to be blown away, but I was never hooked.

I'm reading 11/22/63. I'm about a third in and it is so good so far.
    Adelina Sotnikova is the 2014 Olympic champion!

vCash
    I've just blown through my lunch break (and a little past) by starrting Jennifer Lee Carrell's "The Speckled Monster: A Historical Tale of Battling Smallpox" which sounds a lot grimmer than it's been so far. It's certainly a departure from my normal frivolous dreck, though, so I thought some people here might be amused by my change of direction.

Reality TV's Bytch
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by zaphyre14 View Post
    I've just blown through my lunch break (and a little past) by starrting Jennifer Lee Carrell's "The Speckled Monster: A Historical Tale of Battling Smallpox" which sounds a lot grimmer than it's been so far. It's certainly a departure from my normal frivolous dreck, though, so I thought some people here might be amused by my change of direction.
    Hey! I'm currently reading her Interred with Their Bones.

vCash
    I read "Interred ...." a while ago. "Speckled" is much more historical but still pretty readable.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rfisher View Post
    I loved Mary Stewart as a teenager. Her heroines were always smart and were never dithering handwringers. I think I read This Rough Magic about 20 times. RIP Ms. Stewart. Your books were magic.
    Another fan here.
    Thanks for all the pleasure your books brought me, Ms. Stewart.

INTJ
    vCash
    The local symphony had a fundraising book sale. All by donation. I went a little crazy. I found a bunch of 70's paperbacks that seem like light reading for summer with some pretty funny blurbs. And stocked up on kids books for the nieces. Berenstain Bears, Robert Munsch, and Mercer Mayer books. The old awesome ones
    "Beautiful things don't ask for attention." -The Secret Life of Walter Mitty

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    I'm reading Night Film by Marisha Pessl. I'm not sure I like it, but I sure do keep turning those pages; it's the most mysterious mystery I've read in a long time. It's an interesting book; lots of books incorporate things like news articles and such, but she has included what look like actual news clippings and real photographs; amazing how much difference it makes. I ended last night at a creepy photo of a creepy character glaring death at the camera and had dreams about it all night . One thing I don't like is that she italicizes words throughout. Sometimes this makes sense (We were going to go mano a mano) and sometimes it doesn't ("Come in," she said and opened the door wider), but IIRC, there were some weird little affectations like that in her first book, Special Topics in Calamity Physics, too.
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

vCash
    My sister really liked Night Film, but found the ending disappointing. Let me know what you think.

I'm reading the third book in the Fuse series (coming to a movie theatre near you soon), and if you decide to read this series, you need to read them one after the other, because there is ZERO recap in Burn, and I'd read the other two several months ago and it took me a good 40 pages to recall what was going on. I'm sure the intent is that everyone will read them fairly quickly, but that doesn't do me any good at the moment....

vCash
    I found "Night Film" fascinating and it affected my sleep as well. Just a very different book. I'm frequently not satisfied with the ending of books so wasn't too surprised with this ending. She is definitely a thought provoking author.
    pug lover

Page 24 of 38 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast