Page 23 of 38 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast

vCash
    I started Kate Quinn's "The Serpemt and the Pearl" last night. It's set in Rome at the time of the Rise of the Borgias and jumps around through several characters' POVs: the country cook fleeing a crime in Venice, a gambler dwarf with deadly skills, the noble bride sold into a sham marriage to become a Cardinal's mistress....It does jump around little too much for my taste but I am enjoying it so far, much more than I liked Quinn's "Daughters of Rome" which I ended up never finishing.

I also started and rejected two other books because they were written in first-person present tense and I just can't deal with that format. So into the swap pile they went, which is too bad because I could have used them on my Historical Mystery Challenge if I could have gotten through them.
    I'd rather be thought of as absolutely ridiculous than as absolutely boring.

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by zaphyre14 View Post
    I also started and rejected two other books because they were written in first-person present tense and I just can't deal with that format.
    Ugh, I know what you mean! If it's just briefly, for effect, I can handle it ... but a whole book? No thanks.

The book I'm reading right now (Boy, Snow, Bird, by Helen Oyeyemi) strayed into 2nd person for a while -- but it was clear it was going to be just a temporary thing and indeed it was over in about a page and half. So I won't hold that against her. (Very good book so far, btw.)

vCash
    My favorite book written in second person (and future tense, as well)

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis@BC View Post
    Ugh, I know what you mean! If it's just briefly, for effect, I can handle it ... but a whole book? No thanks.
    I recall trying to read a bio like that and giving up part way despite the interesting content. I didn't like reading about something that happened in 1974 like it was happening right now.

The other thing I find hard is when writers try to express dialect or accents by writing semi-phonetically. I see that they are trying to make it authentic, but I'd prefer "he said in a thick southern accent" or "he said in broken English" or whatever. There was a novel based on a historic period I really, really wanted to read but the international cast of characters and having to pretty much read every quote aloud to understand it made me give up eventually. I'm not one of those people who reads every word to themselves so I need the words to be in a form my brain understands without having to labour through it.

Maybe I need to find an audio book of the one I really wanted to read - I've never done one, but it might be the only way.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by zaphyre14 View Post
    I also started and rejected two other books because they were written in first-person present tense and I just can't deal with that format.
    I'm not a big fan of first person/present tense, but it's such a staple these days in YA/New Adult that sometimes I make the sacrifice for a good book

Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    The other thing I find hard is when writers try to express dialect or accents by writing semi-phonetically. I see that they are trying to make it authentic, but I'd prefer "he said in a thick southern accent" or "he said in broken English" or whatever. There was a novel based on a historic period I really, really wanted to read but the international cast of characters and having to pretty much read every quote aloud to understand it made me give up eventually. I'm not one of those people who reads every word to themselves so I need the words to be in a form my brain understands without having to labour through it.
    I generally dislike phonetically written accents, dropping in foreign words, and the characters mentally translating something said in a language they speak. But "he said in a thick southern accent", etc. is just so wooden and awkward... I think the best approach is to convey speech patterns via syntax, phrasing and the word choices of the characters. Someone who IMO does that quite well (in romance) is Joanna Bourne.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Zemgirl View Post
    I generally dislike phonetically written accents, dropping in foreign words, and the characters mentally translating something said in a language they speak. But "he said in a thick southern accent", etc. is just so wooden and awkward... I think the best approach is to convey speech patterns via syntax, phrasing and the word choices of the characters. Someone who IMO does that quite well (in romance) is Joanna Bourne.
    Agree - I meant it in more of a "find another way to tell me what they sound like" way. The other day I read an amusing passage from a cookbook to my husband, and prefaced it with "you have to imagine this in Julia Child's voice" and of course that made what I read (in Canadian English ) more meaningful.

But most writers don't have to do that at all - if they describe a character well, even if in just a few words, it's enough to bring them to life without trying to replicate the way they talk on the written page - especially when how each of reader speaks themselves might make it less than accurate anyway.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynn226 View Post
    Robert Gates needs an editor. Duty could be used as a torture device.
    Many memoirs of politicians fit that description, IMO.
    John Major's or Margaret Thatcher's books, are just two examples.

INTJ
    vCash
    Legendary Canadian author Farley Mowat has died. He was an interesting character. I have a soft spot for him because I loved Lost in the Barrens as a child.
    "Beautiful things don't ask for attention." -The Secret Life of Walter Mitty

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by made_in_canada View Post
    Legendary Canadian author Farley Mowat has died. He was an interesting character. I have a soft spot for him because I loved Lost in the Barrens as a child.
    I just posted a thread about this before spotting your post.

I have a copy of Never Cry Wolf that has been read by 18 members of my extended family, and who knows how many friends. Needless to say, it's very dog-eared (appropriately so).

vCash
    Finally got around to reading "Bridget Jones: Mad About the Boy". Ugh, a real chore to finish. I don't mind the shocking the plot twist (I actually thought everything to do with that part quite well written), but I just found the heroine too annoying. Her life (plot twist, notwithstanding) is just too damn easy.

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Okay, book hoarders, the next time someone says "You're buying another book? Don't you already have a ton of books you haven't even opened?" you can quote this:

Even when reading is impossible, the presence of books acquired produces such an ecstasy that the buying of more books than one can read is nothing less than the soul reaching towards infinity. We cherish books even if unread, there mere presence exudes comfort, their ready access reassurance.
    - A.E. Newton

From somewhere on Paperlover

So there.
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    more books than one can read is nothing less than the soul reaching towards infinity
    Hmm, my next tattoo?

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinner View Post
    Hmm, my next tattoo?
    Sounds good to me.

Too bad such a lofty quote has that egregious there/their error .
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

Just me
    vCash
    Yea...what Prancer said.

(not the there/their thing)
    If this is to end in fire
    Then we will all burn together

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinner View Post
    Hmm, my next tattoo?
    A 15-word tattoo? That's gonna hurt like crazy.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    Too bad such a lofty quote has that egregious there/their error .
    I'm going to assume that was a transcription error at the web site level and should not be attributed to the author ...

ETA: the quote is grammatically correct at Goodreads.
    Last edited by Artemis@BC; 05-08-2014 at 04:37 PM.

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    I figured; I'm just annoyed I posted it before I saw the error.

But anyway....YALSA's list of Two Ten Teen Book nominees is out: http://www.ala.org/news/press-releas...p-ten-nominees

Anyone read any of those? I want to get a couple of books for my daughter to read this summer.

vCash
    I think I read The Fifth Wave, but I can't remember anything about it. And Rainbow Rowell is from Nebraska. That's all I got.

Does she like zombies? The Rot & Ruin series is pretty good, and is being made into a film(s) as I type.

having a nice day
    vCash
    Yew meuhn hee saiud in ai theeuck suhthurn auhukceunt.
    At least that's how ah imaigin hit. Course folks tahulk liek thahut rounchere allatime so..
    It doan mauke mee no never min.
    Which might be part of why I enjoyed the sheeit as Tyrone sez out of "requiem for a dream." Completely fascinating and utterly scary as hell. Read it and weep. Wow.
    Have a nice day!

Page 23 of 38 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast