Page 22 of 40 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast
    Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
    The smaller Nook tablet, the 7" screen one. I think it's 7" or thereabouts. I preferred it to the larger one because it's much lighter.
    Yeah, I have the 9-inch and it's pretty heavy. I also have it in a case with a keyboard, which doesn't help. I don't use the keyboard all that often, but there are times when it's a godsend, even though the onscreen touch keyboard works pretty well for short emails and such. It won't replace my laptop any time soon, but it works when I travel and just need something better than a phone but handier than a laptop.

Quote Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
    Prancey, I've read Winesburg. That's how I know there are enticing basements there.
    There were enticing basements in Winesburg? I must have dozed through that part.
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    The last time we had the "smut" usage discussion, someone here (I think it was PL) said that if we were looking for that sort of thing, we should just read Kate Pearce. So I tried Kate Pearce. I wouldn't call that smut, exactly, although I get why others would.
    not me. I have no idea who Kate Pearce is.

I do enjoy some quality smut (stop snickering. It exists. You just have to read a lot crap to find it), though. Should I check her out?

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessLeppard View Post
    not me. I have no idea who Kate Pearce is.

I do enjoy some quality smut (stop snickering. It exists. You just have to read a lot crap to find it), though. Should I check her out?
    Um......it depends on what you are looking for. I think I will PM you.
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

vCash
    When I was about 14, I read a book about a woman having an erotic affair with a black bear. I am not making this up. And that was exotic enough to last me for, oh, ever.
    A real bear or a were-bear?

Anyway, I meant Pregnesia, and I believe that there is enough wackiness in that one that no animals or were-animals are needed

vCash
    When I was about 14, I read a book about a woman having an erotic affair with a black bear. I am not making this up. And that was exotic enough to last me for, oh, ever.
    Engel's? I was tricked into that one by a creative writing teacher. At least I was in my twenties, but still. Not a fun read.

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TygerLily View Post
    Engel's? I was tricked into that one by a creative writing teacher. At least I was in my twenties, but still. Not a fun read.
    Yes! Apparently it won the Governor General's Award and is a literary masterpiece.

I was too young to really get it, I suppose; the main thing I remember is .

vCash
    I don't care how allegorical or well-written it may be, just the reviews are enough to make me shudder and say "ewww. no."
    I'd rather be thought of as absolutely ridiculous than as absolutely boring.

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Nan View Post
    It's all right, a bit of an easy read, not brilliant. It's probably not what most people would call smutty, I just like the word "smut," it's fun to say.
    Are you familiar with Tom Lehrer's homage to the word -- and the concept -- in song? Smut

Just me
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis@BC View Post
    Are you familiar with Tom Lehrer's homage to the word -- and the concept -- in song? Smut

That is priceless! Thank you.
    If this is to end in fire
    Then we will all burn together

INTJ
    vCash
    I needed a new easy read for work so I picked up a book at the grocery store. The cover had a picture of a little boy, description said it was about a boy accused of murder. Get to work and pull it out at lunch and see that it's a harlequin. Whoops. What happened to the cheesy covers on harlequins so you knew what you were getting?
    "Beautiful things don't ask for attention." -The Secret Life of Walter Mitty

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by made_in_canada View Post
    I needed a new easy read for work so I picked up a book at the grocery store. The cover had a picture of a little boy, description said it was about a boy accused of murder. Get to work and pull it out at lunch and see that it's a harlequin. Whoops. What happened to the cheesy covers on harlequins so you knew what you were getting?
    Harlequin Enterprises is a big publishing business and publishes more than serial romances. It was just bought by NewsCorp and will become part of HarperCollins, so those cheesy covers may be a thing of the past, anyway. My library has a lot of Harlequins with Manga covers, which just seems sooooo wrong.

LOL at the "Smut" song. I need that for my mp3 player.

Nook Sale this weekend--no bargain bin deals, but up to half off on current sellers: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/u/nook...s_Weekend_Sale

INTJ
    vCash
    Well... 40-odd pages in and there's a tall, dark, mysterious stranger stirring the loins of the main character. It's just really odd to me that it was kind of hidden by the cover.
    "Beautiful things don't ask for attention." -The Secret Life of Walter Mitty

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by made_in_canada View Post
    I'm trying to think which Harlequin line might use a picture of a kid on the cover without a hero or a heroine, but nothing comes to mind. Like Prancer said, Harlequin publishes lots of stuff, and even within their category romance lines there's a quite a bit of difference between, say, a Blaze, a Love Inspired and a Historical, both in content in the packaging. But I don't recall seeing a Harlequin romance cover with just a child and no reference to the romance in the cover blurb.

That said, I'd rather read a Harlequin romance than a book about a child accused of murder. But that's just me

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    LOL at the "Smut" song. I need that for my mp3 player.
    I highly recommend the whole That Was the Year that Was album. In addition to Smut it has some other true gems like "New Math" and one of the funniest song ever written, "The Vatican Rag."

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis@BC View Post
    I highly recommend the whole That Was the Year that Was album. In addition to Smut it has some other true gems like "New Math" and one of the funniest song ever written, "The Vatican Rag."
    And it's on sale!

I can see this particular device doing pretty well in the smut romance novel market: http://scifi2scifab.media.mit.edu/20...nsory-fiction/

Just me
    vCash
    I just picked up three of Georgette Heyer's books for my Nook at $2.99 each. It's a happy day!

vCash
    I just picked up three of Georgette Heyer's books for my Nook at $2.99 each. It's a happy day!
    Which ones?

Just me
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by A.H.Black View Post
    Which ones?
    Faro's Daughter, Sprig Muslin and The Grand Sophy.

vCash
    I borrowed two library ebooks from the Maisie Dobbs series. I'm enjoying Pardonable Lies, so far. Thanks for the recommendation that I received here.

Robert Gates needs an editor. Duty could be used as a torture device.

vCash
    Faro's Daughter, Sprig Muslin and The Grand Sophy.
    Grand Sophy is my Friend's favorite and I have always liked Faro's Daughter. Enjoy.

My personal favorite of all the Heyer covers - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lady-of-Qual...item1c3fec914a

Page 22 of 40 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast