Page 19 of 39 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Nan View Post
    I had no idea this was part of a larger series. Grace Burrowes named The Black Hawk as one of her favorites on her Facebook page and since I enjoy that author's work, I thought it would be a good idea to read something she valued.
    That's actually a great way to find new books, and i'm glad you're enjoying it. Bourne's books are interesting in that the order of publication is not the chronological order of the series; Adrian actually first appears in a Gothic romance she published more than thirty years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by zaphyre14 View Post
    Have you tried Danelle Harmon? She used to live near me and I see that she has a new book coming out - and that her older ones are being ressued. I find them to be pretty much the stereotypical Pirate Romances but they can be fun, if you're in that mood.
    I have. No luck there either...

I bought a few novellas today, including one by Diana Gabaldon. Hopefully at least one of them will be good

vCash
    Which Gabaldon?
    I'd rather be thought of as absolutely ridiculous than as absolutely boring.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by zaphyre14 View Post
    Which Gabaldon?
    The Space Between. Apparently it's about Michael Murray and Joan (Jamie's stepdaughter) and is set in Paris.

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by modern_muslimah View Post
    I read Jennie Gerhardt and Sister Carrie when I was in high school and college and I loved them both. I loved his style. I found it to be gritty and realistic, which I loved, especially at that age.
    Another Naturalism fan? Wow. I don't come across many, even among lit majors.

Quote Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
    I also love Faulkner and think that Fitzgerald is the most overrated American author.
    I neither love nor hate Faulkner (I have that reaction to most literature) but for novelists, Fitzgerald would be around the top of my overrated list.

Quote Originally Posted by Nan View Post
    I had no idea this was part of a larger series. Grace Burrowes named The Black Hawk as one of her favorites on her Facebook page and since I enjoy that author's work, I thought it would be a good idea to read something she valued.
    Burrowes also really likes Judith Ivory. I don't think I've ever read Judith Ivory, so I can't endorse her myself, but I know Burrowes is a fan.

And Joanna Bourne's books are definitely read best in order. You have a treat in store .
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

Just me
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    Burrowes also really likes Judith Ivory. I don't think I've ever read Judith Ivory, so I can't endorse her myself, but I know Burrowes is a fan.
    I saw that the other day and made a note of it on my wish list, but I'm trying to keep my finger off the "confirm order" button for at least a couple of weeks.

And Joanna Bourne's books are definitely read best in order. You have a treat in store .
    It seems I've already jumped into the middle feet first. I'm not having any problems keeping up with the storyline so far, wish me continued luck in that.
    If this is to end in fire
    Then we will all burn together

vCash

But which order - publication or chronological? I vote for the latter.

I've read Ivory and was not impressed - maybe I picked the wrong one? I know that Sherry Thomas is a big fan and IIRC, Beguiling the Beauty was inspired by Beast.

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    do people not like dreiser? as awesome as i thought an american tragedy was, sister carrie was even better. i think because i felt so sorry for clyde.
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Zemgirl View Post
    But which order - publication or chronological? I vote for the latter.
    Chronological for sure, as the story makes the most sense that way.
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

vCash
    Another Naturalism fan? Wow. I don't come across many, even among lit majors.
    When I was younger, I did. I'm not sure if I would read literature in this genre now. It isn't because I dislike it but I think I, in general, I tend to go for lighter fare now (at least when it comes to literature).

Quote Originally Posted by my little pony View Post
    do people not like dreiser? as awesome as i thought an american tragedy was, sister carrie was even better. i think because i felt so sorry for clyde.
    I have to admit that I'm surprised too. I found Sister Carrie to be so gripping.
    "If people are looking for guarantees, they should buy appliances at Sears and stay away from human relationships."~Prancer

Saint Smugpawski
    Cutting Down Privet Because Food Prices Are Going Up Next Year
    vCash
    OK that settles it, Sister Carrie is next in line for me. I found a sweet little jigsaw puzzle app for the Nook, that counts as reading, right?
    The fastest thing out of New Jersey since Tricky Nicky in a Muscovian handbasket

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    . I found a sweet little jigsaw puzzle app for the Nook, that counts as reading, right?
    then can you knit me a tea cozy?
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    You people are killing me. I was a biology and archaeology major in college and grad school. All you English majors are making my eyes twitch talking about literature. I don't like tame romances and Gabaldon pissed me off and I refuse to donate any more money to her. She's a royal bitch. We don't like each other very much.

I have a kijillion books on my nook and on my bookshelves, but if I'm not hooked by the end of the first chapter, it's gone. And, most of them don't have a decent hook. It's so hard to get published, yet so much boring crap seems to make its way through the system. I don't do boring. I don't do angst, especially teenaged angst. I don't do handwringing. I hate stupid characters and bad plotting. I despise long introspective navel examinations. I have nothing to read with a kijillion books.
    Last edited by rfisher; 04-27-2014 at 01:22 AM.
    Those who never succeed themselves are always the first to tell you how.

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    ask southpaw where to get that jigsaw puzzle app

Saint Smugpawski
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by my little pony View Post
    ask southpaw where to get that jigsaw puzzle app
    I moved on to the Netflix app and I'm finally catching up on my long list of documentaries that I never watched. I just watched one about Diana Vreeland that rfisher would probably enjoy. Or she can take up tea cozy making.
    The fastest thing out of New Jersey since Tricky Nicky in a Muscovian handbasket

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    I moved on to the Netflix app and I'm finally catching up on my long list of documentaries that I never watched. I just watched one about Diana Vreeland that rfisher would probably enjoy. Or she can take up tea cozy making.
    The Diana Vreeland documentary sounds good. Does it stream?

Oh duh. Of course, since you mentioned the app.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

Saint Smugpawski
    vCash
    You'll love it IA, def watch it. It's called The Eye Has To Travel.

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rfisher View Post
    You people are killing me. I was a biology and archaeology major in college and grad school. All you English majors are making my eyes twitch talking about literature. I don't like tame romances and Gabaldon pissed me off and I refuse to donate any more money to her. She's a royal bitch. We don't like each other very much.

I have a kijillion books on my nook and on my bookshelves, but if I'm not hooked by the end of the first chapter, it's gone. And, most of them don't have a decent hook. It's so hard to get published, yet so much boring crap seems to make its way through the system. I don't do boring. I don't do angst, especially teenaged angst. I don't do handwringing. I hate stupid characters and bad plotting. I despise long introspective navel examinations. I have nothing to read with a kijillion books.
    You know, somehow this post made me think of my favorite poem by my favorite Naturalism writer (and the one who is usually the most disliked of them all), Stephen Crane:

A man said to the universe:
    “Sir, I exist!”
    “However,” replied the universe,
    “The fact has not created in me
    A sense of obligation.”

Not sure why that came to mind, but there you go.

I moved on to the Netflix app and I'm finally catching up on my long list of documentaries that I never watched. I just watched one about Diana Vreeland
    That video display is pretty damn awesome for such a cheapie tablet, isn't it?

Saint Smugpawski
    vCash
    Yes the video is great on this little gadget, and it's a lot more comfy to watch educational flicks on than my laptop.

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    I don't have a tablet and I only watch select educational flicks. About killer whales or archaeology. I can't be bothered with other stuff. Well, I do watch dinosaur stuff but it depends on whose stuff it is. I don't do national geo. They make it up, not that others don't, but they're the worst.
    Those who never succeed themselves are always the first to tell you how.

Saint Smugpawski
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rfisher View Post
    I don't have a tablet and I only watch select educational flicks. About killer whales or archaeology. I can't be bothered with other stuff. Well, I do watch dinosaur stuff but it depends on whose stuff it is. I don't do national geo. They make it up, not that others don't, but they're the worst.
    There's a set of dinosaur puzzles available for purchase in the jigsaw puzzle app for $1.99.

Page 19 of 39 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast