Page 16 of 39 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

vCash
    So I believe I will be moving out of country for a year in the fall, and I want to get an e-reader so I can still read all the 'Merican books I want. Nook or Kindle?

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by immoimeme View Post
    On the other hand I have read most of the Pulitzer fiction novels and was wtf whhhhhhy? at some of them.
    This could be another reading thread on its own--award winning books (Nobel in Literature, the Pulitzer, etc.) that make you go wtf and and have you all as to their success.

I have to admit that I never got the hype for Pasternak's Doctor Zhivago. I think it was more political than literary. Which famous and celebrated works leave you cold? Yes, I know some of you don't get Harry Potter....
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

Saint Smugpawski
    Cutting Down Privet Because Food Prices Are Going Up Next Year
    vCash
    I found 3 ebooks in B&N's El Cheapo $2.99 Bin today that I snatched up, so they should keep me busy for a while when the new gadget gets here. Two WWII novels and a non-fiction about Chanel No. 5, so even though I'm a new-fangled gal I'm still pre-Eisenhower in my heart and eyeballs.
    The fastest thing out of New Jersey since Tricky Nicky in a Muscovian handbasket

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Spareoom View Post
    So I believe I will be moving out of country for a year in the fall, and I want to get an e-reader so I can still read all the 'Merican books I want. Nook or Kindle?
    If all you want is a reader and not a tablet, the Kindle Paperwhite and the Nook Glowlight are both excellent options If you want a tablet, you might want to test a variety, as I think there are better options than either the Nook or Kindle.

I have a Nook because I want to support B&Ns brick-and-mortar stores. I use my tablet mostly as an e-reader, and it's great for that; it's a pretty nice little tablet when I want that, too, but it's more of a great ereader with good tablet functions than it is a great tablet with good e-reader functions.

Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    This could be another reading thread on its own--award winning books (Nobel in Literature, the Pulitzer, etc.) that make you go wtf and and have you all as to their success.

I have to admit that I never got the hype for Pasternak's Doctor Zhivago. I think it was more political than literary. Which famous and celebrated works leave you cold? Yes, I know some of you don't get Harry Potter....
    Pearl Buck. I read The Good Earth for a school thing once and once was enough.

There are plenty of others, but that one popped into my head first.

Quote Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
    I found 3 ebooks in B&N's El Cheapo $2.99 Bin
    Cheap and easy. And the book selection is inexpensive and simple to use, too.
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post

I saw my husband cringe once when he saw a copy in a bookstore (a long time ago when bookstores were more abundant). But he is not the reading type anyway. I have never read it. Another one that comes to mind that is so very acclaimed is War And Peace. Natasha Rostova has to be one of the most annoying characters ever created. You cannot imagine how many unprintable jokes exist about her in Russian and for a good reason. She is just that annoying.

Speaking of school curriculum, I am not a fan of John Steinbeck. The Grapes of Wrath didn't work for me.

As to readers, I watched the ad for the Kindle Paperwhite and it seems that it's too bright of a contrast and might tire out my eyes. But I don't know, may be it's just my laptop screen.
    Last edited by IceAlisa; 04-21-2014 at 03:19 AM.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by oleada View Post
    I'm a little excited to leave Westeros behind. I have Burial Rites by Hannah Kent up next.
    That book was amazing!

I have a Nook because I want to support B&Ns brick-and-mortar stores.
    This is why I love you.

vCash
    IceAlisa, for me, it's The Catcher in the Rye. I HATE IT. Absolutely loathe it. I even read it as a teen, so it's not an age thing. I just wanted to punch Holden in the face and if I read the word "phony" one more time...

Quote Originally Posted by Spinner View Post
    That book was amazing!
    This is why I love you.
    I didn't like it I don't know; I just couldn't get into it and I didn't find the story all that compelling when it had so much potential. I liked Agnes but...I just didn't find it all that interesting or well written.

But I have a Nook for the same reason as Prancer.
    Adelina Sotnikova is the 2014 Olympic champion!

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    IceAlisa, for me, it's The Catcher in the Rye. I HATE IT. Absolutely loathe it. I even read it as a teen, so it's not an age thing. I just wanted to punch Holden in the face and if I read the word "phony" one more time...
    Ha. When I read The Catcher, I didn't speak English well enough to read in the original, so I read the Russian translation. I don't remember which word they used for 'phony' but I don't recall being annoyed and liked the book a lot. Later I read his short stories in English which I loved.

The job of the translator is really important. I've read the same books in Russian, English and French and the translations really make a difference. Sometimes they are better than the original.

from Speedy Death

vCash
    I have the original Kindle that is not backlit. I love it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Spareoom View Post
    I'll second what Prancer wrote about e-readers vs. tablets. As I wrote before, I think anyone who reads a lot is generally better off buying an e-reader rather than using apps on multipurpose devices, but YMMV. Assuming you want a dedicated e-reader - my understanding is that you can get more and better deals for Kindle than for Nook. Since you'll still be using an American account and credit card, you won't have to worry about the extra charges that international readers sometimes face.

OTOH, while both Amazon and B&N use file formats that can't be read on other devices, I think you can read ePUB files on Nooks even if they weren't bought on B&N, whereas you can't read those on Kindle - you would have to convert the files, which in some cases requires stripping the DRM, and I'm not sure how legal that is. If you're buying DRM-free eBooks, it's really easy to convert them using Calibre - I have a Kindle and get some books from Amazon, but I also buy from other websites when possible (or, if buying from Smashwords, you get access to several different file formats and there's no DRM). I hope more publishers and authors will go DRM-free.

As to readers, I watched the ad for the Kindle Paperwhite and it seems that it's too bright of a contrast and might tire out my eyes. But I don't know, may be it's just my laptop screen.
    My Kindle is an older model, but a friend of mine has a Paperwhite, and it's definitely not too bright - it just looks like very white paper But I believe that the cheap Kindle model at the moment doesn't have as much contrast as the Paperwhite.
    Last edited by Zemgirl; 04-21-2014 at 05:39 AM.

From the Bloc
    vCash

I remember having to write a book report on that one in high school. Couldn't make it past the first few pages, so I based my book report on the cover notes and some random quotes I pulled from the middle of it

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by michiruwater View Post
    I have the original Kindle that is not backlit. I love it.
    Me, too. And it is easier on my eyes than print. I can adjust font and spacing and read much longer without eyestrain than I am able to from print. I cannot read anything backlit for too long and I think the paperwhite would be too bright for me, too.

Saint Smugpawski
    Cutting Down Privet Because Food Prices Are Going Up Next Year
    vCash
    I found 3 more ebooks in the B&N El Cheapo bin today, but that's it. I'm cutting myself off after the Peter Criss autobiography and that's final. I mean it.
    The fastest thing out of New Jersey since Tricky Nicky in a Muscovian handbasket

Just me
    vCash
    I found 3 more ebooks in the B&N El Cheapo bin today, but that's it. I'm cutting myself off after the Peter Criss autobiography and that's final. I mean it.
    Do you have any idea how many times I've said that in the last week? Just give in, fighting it doesn't help.
    If this is to end in fire
    Then we will all burn together

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Speaking of school curriculum, I am not a fan of John Steinbeck. The Grapes of Wrath didn't work for me.
    I'm not surprised . But I like some of his other works.

IceAlisa, for me, it's The Catcher in the Rye. I HATE IT. Absolutely loathe it.
    Hear, hear. I hate that one, too. And whenever some guy tells me that's his favorite book (it's always a guy), I automatically move him into the "We will never be friends" category.

Quote Originally Posted by Spinner View Post
    This is why I love you.
    I thought it was my wit, charm and grammar knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by Zemgirl View Post
    OTOH, while both Amazon and B&N use file formats that can't be read on other devices, I think you can read ePUB files on Nooks even if they weren't bought on B&N, whereas you can't read those on Kindle - you would have to convert the files, which in some cases requires stripping the DRM, and I'm not sure how legal that is.
    It's illegal, really, but my interpretation of that (which won't protect anyone) is that I paid for the book, so the publisher and the author have their fair share, and then it's mine. I'm not giving it to anyone else; I keep it strictly for my own use.

The publishing industry could learn a lot from the music industry.

That's not how the publishers see it, but .....what are they going to do? I'm not going to bit.torrent and downloading books for free, after all (although I could ).

And yes, the Nook reads ePubs and other formats as well (but not Kindle), which is another reason I like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    I remember having to write a book report on that one in high school. Couldn't make it past the first few pages, so I based my book report on the cover notes and some random quotes I pulled from the middle of it
    '

The story isn't horrible (although your inner feminist will be enraged) but her writing! Utterly graceless.

Lie to us all you like, but don't lie to yourself, 'Paw.

The $2.99 list changes all the time. You know you want to know what will be there tomorrow.
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

vCash
    It's illegal, really, but my interpretation of that (which won't protect anyone) is that I paid for the book, so the publisher and the author have their fair share, and then it's mine. I'm not giving it to anyone else; I keep it strictly for my own use.

That's not how the publishers see it, but .....what are they going to do? I'm not going to bit.torrent and downloading books for free, after all (although I could ).

And yes, the Nook reads ePubs and other formats as well (but not Kindle), which is another reason I like it.
    My understanding is that it is not so clear cut in some places. But I haven't really looked into it, and I feel that your stance is ethically fine even if publishers might think otherwise.

I considered buying a Nook, but BN didn't appear interested in selling anything to non-US customers. In Israel you mostly see Kindles and Sonys, but e-readers don't support Hebrew fonts at the moment, so they're popular primarily with people who read in English and/or Russian.

After nearly three years with an e-reader, I don't consider 2.99 that good a deal anymore

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by my little pony View Post
    you might want someone else's opinion, because i liked the goldfinch, not as much as the secret history though. but i was never bored.
    Quote Originally Posted by emason View Post
    I was not bored by The Goldfinch, but I put the book down at Page 317 and refused to read another word. To say that I HATED this book is an understatement. I do not ever want to have to spend 5 more minutes in the company of any of the characters, and I have no intention of ever reading anything else by Donna Tartt. Most over-rated author and book of the last year IMHO.
    Thanks both of you for sharing your thoughts. I think that given the respective feelings each of us have for The Secret History, I'm going to give The Goldfinch a pass. The description by emason of not wanting to spend 5 more minutes in the company of any of the characters was exactly how I felt about The Secret History. I will just have to be content with being an infrequent attendee of that book club since I already know I'll have to miss June. Oh well.

Hear, hear. I hate that one, too. And whenever some guy tells me that's his favorite book (it's always a guy), I automatically move him into the "We will never be friends" category.
    I hated The Catcher in the Rye too! Like oleada, I read it as a teenager and still hated it. Probably because I was a good kid and thought Holden was being a total brat. So far I have been lucky enough never to meet someone else who has said that they loved it but maybe the topic has just never come up. Perhaps it's a question I should ask to potential dates to weed out guys.

vCash
    I don't remember hating or loving Catcher in the Rye. Now I'm going to have to reread it. Dammit.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessLeppard View Post
    I don't remember hating or loving Catcher in the Rye. Now I'm going to have to reread it. Dammit.
    Ditto. All I remember about it is that I read it, but I don't actually remember IT at all.

vCash

'

The story isn't horrible (although your inner feminist will be enraged) but her writing! Utterly graceless.
    Quote Originally Posted by Erin View Post
    I hated The Catcher in the Rye too! Like oleada, I read it as a teenager and still hated it. Probably because I was a good kid and thought Holden was being a total brat. So far I have been lucky enough never to meet someone else who has said that they loved it but maybe the topic has just never come up. Perhaps it's a question I should ask to potential dates to weed out guys.
    I admit the first time I read Catcher in the Rye I loved it. I was a freshman in high school. I read it again as a junior and then I absolutely hated it. I'm not sure what happened in those two years to make me hate Holden Caulfield so much but the second time I read it he just came off as petulant and stupid. You know, it might have been because I went to a summer program the summer before junior year with a bunch of real life Holden Caulfields.

ITA. I always strip my DRM off my e-books. I don't think I should pay $10 and more for a license. I never share the books. I just keep an un-DRM'ed copy on my hard drive. Plus, what if a bookstore closes? I bought some books from Sony and they recently closed their bookstore. I'm so happy that I stripped the DRM and made backup copies of the books I purchased from there.
    "If people are looking for guarantees, they should buy appliances at Sears and stay away from human relationships."~Prancer

Page 16 of 39 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast