Page 15 of 38 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast
    drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    I'm still reading real PRINT books, and love them for the usual reasons - but next time I travel I know I'll want an e-reader. I've lugged books across the world before and the space and weight are just too valuable. I wonder if I'll get used to it.

People who read books on their phones - do you have one of those smart phones that's the size of a small e-reader anyway? I have an iphone and loathe reading dense script on it.
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

vCash
    I have a Galaxy S4 which has a five inch screen. It's not a bad e-reader in a pinch. I can make the font small enough to get a lot of text on the page. Still, it isn't my first choice. I usually read e-books on my tablet.
    "If people are looking for guarantees, they should buy appliances at Sears and stay away from human relationships."~Prancer

Saint Smugpawski
    Cutting Down Privet Because Food Prices Are Going Up Next Year
    vCash
    I have an iPhone 4S and the screen is like 3x2 so it's really small. So small that I drove to B&N earlier to check out an HD tablet even though I swore I would not throw money at yet another gadget.

They're out of stock so now I have to order online and wait a few days.
    The fastest thing out of New Jersey since Tricky Nicky in a Muscovian handbasket

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by genevieve View Post
    I'm still reading real PRINT books, and love them for the usual reasons - but next time I travel I know I'll want an e-reader. I've lugged books across the world before and the space and weight are just too valuable. I wonder if I'll get used to it.
    I too prefer the aesthetics of print but the convenience of ebooks. There is one downside of ebooks for travel, though -- at least air travel in Canada. Transport Canada considers e-readers to be "electronic devices" that can interfere with airplane electronic signals, so they have to be turned off during takeoff and landing. Not just in airplane mode, but completely off. So that's about 30-40 minutes out of every flight where you have nothing to read but the cheezy airline magazine.

vCash
    I've had my Kindle for a few weeks now and can't say I like it very much. I much prefer reading physical books, especially non-fiction books where you might want to quickly look something up in the index. It's also a pain when you want to quickly go back and look at something you read earlier in the book.

I bought the Kindle for the convenience, and I think that's probably how I'll use it -- primarily for travel or for times when I just want something light that contains a bunch of books. Plus, with the Amazon Kindle book deals, I'm sure I'll be buying e-books at times just because they're less expensive. The downside of that is that I already have a bunch of books I haven't read yet and now I'm spending more money and the list is getting bigger.

vCash

People who read books on their phones - do you have one of those smart phones that's the size of a small e-reader anyway? I have an iphone and loathe reading dense script on it.
    I have a smallish phone because I don't like the bigger ones, but even if I did, the problem I have is backlit screens, regardless of size. E-ink is so much easier on the eyes. I think for anyone who reads a lot, having a dedicated device is worth it - the exception maybe being if you read a lot of non-fiction:

Quote Originally Posted by Allskate View Post
    I've had my Kindle for a few weeks now and can't say I like it very much. I much prefer reading physical books, especially non-fiction books where you might want to quickly look something up in the index. It's also a pain when you want to quickly go back and look at something you read earlier in the book.
    Much as I like my Kindle, I wouldn't want to read reference materials on it, and most of what I read for school is printed (books, PDFs that I print). But I read enough fiction to make it worth my while to have the Kindle, even though I have never been able to accumulate any sort of TBR pile

It's not just the deals, it's also the access to so many books that are simply not available in print (or at least not at a reasonable price).

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by my little pony View Post
    i believe that activity is in the book of revelations
    I think it falls under Pestilence. Or maybe that's just some of the students.

Quote Originally Posted by PrincessLeppard View Post
    Your students use something other than web sources?
    Not willingly, at least not at first.

Quote Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
    So small that I drove to B&N earlier to check out an HD tablet even though I swore I would not throw money at yet another gadget.
    When you get your new gadget, you can download the Kindle app. I find this very amusing. I also find it kind of , because now I have those Kindle deals to check out and even MORE books I haven't read yet.

I have an HTC One--not huge, but not small. And I can only read light and fluffy stuff on it--quick reads in more ways than one.

I have no more trouble finding information or flipping back a few pages on my e-reader than I do with a print copy. About the only thing I don't like reading on my e-reader is graphic-intense works, particularly anything with lots of infographics, charts, and tables. It is most annoying to try to read an infographic on an e-reader. But for regular text, give me an e-reader any time, not because it's convenient, but because for me, it's a better reading experience.
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

vCash
    oh my god i love the secret history. based on these threads, iirc people either love it or hate it.
    You may be right...so far the last couple of people went with love it whereas I am (vehemently) in the hate it category. One of my book clubs is reading The Goldfinch this month...I was planning to opt out in part because of how much I hated The Secret History and in part because it is super long. But since I can't make it to book club in June, I would kind of like to go in May, so now I am waffling. I remember at least one person in here found The Goldfinch boring - any other opinions?

Saint Smugpawski
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    When you get your new gadget, you can download the Kindle app. I find this very amusing. I also find it kind of , because now I have those Kindle deals to check out and even MORE books I haven't read yet.
    Yeah, I thought about the Kindle app option when I started reading on my phone, but I haven't used it because so far B&N always has what I've wanted to read so I've stuck with them as my dealer of choice. That's the crap side of reading more again - freaking expensive habit. But then again, an ebook is cheaper than a trip to a diner these days so I guess I can cut back on the pie and coffee jaunts. But then I need something to read while I'm in the diner enjoying my pie and coffee...
    The fastest thing out of New Jersey since Tricky Nicky in a Muscovian handbasket

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Yeah, I thought about the Kindle app option when I started reading on my phone, but I haven't used it because so far B&N always has what I've wanted to read so I've stuck with them as my dealer of choice. That's the crap side of reading more again - freaking expensive habit. But then again, an ebook is cheaper than a trip to a diner these days so I guess I can cut back on the pie and coffee jaunts. But then I need something to read while I'm in the diner enjoying my pie and coffee...
    Are you trying to tell me that you've already read everything on your gadget and don't have a storehouse of books sitting there, waiting to be opened over pie and coffee? Not that I will believe you, but you can try and tell me that.

Probably 90% of what I read on my gadget is library books. You CAN have your books and eat your pie, too.
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Erin View Post
    But since I can't make it to book club in June, I would kind of like to go in May, so now I am waffling. I remember at least one person in here found The Goldfinch boring - any other opinions?
    you might want someone else's opinion, because i liked the goldfinch, not as much as the secret history though. but i was never bored.
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

Saint Smugpawski
    vCash
    Are you trying to tell me that you've already read everything on your gadget and don't have a storehouse of books sitting there, waiting to be opened over pie and coffee? Not that I will believe you, but you can try and tell me that.

Probably 90% of what I read on my gadget is library books. You CAN have your books and eat your pie, too.
    Nope, I have a few unreads and partially reads on the book gadget so there's stuff. Last time I checked my library didn't have an ebook program, maybe they do now I'll have to check again.

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Last time I checked my library didn't have an ebook program, maybe they do now I'll have to check again.
    I'd think you'd have access to one of these through your library: http://www.ilovenjlibraries.org/content/elibrarynj

You would need to download Overdrive and Adobe Digital Editions and that's kind of a pain, but once you get them, it's all pretty painless with the Nook HD. I usually find and check out books on the computer because I find it easier to do searches that way, then download them directly to my Nook later. The only problem I have had recently--and it isn't consistent---is that I often return ebooks early and that seems to confuzzle Overdrive. Everything will work fine at the time, but the next time I try to open Overdrive to read a library book, it will gasp, hiccup and then get stuck in an endless loop, forcing me to reboot. It used to happen every time, but they upgraded recently and now it happens about every three times.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyliefan View Post
    I LOVED the Great Brain books. There was a sort of wry, gentle humor in the author's voice as he looked back on all the wacky stuff his brother got them into, that I enjoyed.
    I loved them, too. The first day of grade five, we were allowed to borrow a book from the teacher's mini-library. I was thrilled to discover a Great Brain book I hadn't read yet! Later, the teacher showed us how to record the books we read in our reading journals and he asked me what book I took so he could have a real example. The title? Me and My Little Brain. The trauma!

Saint Smugpawski
    vCash
    I'd think you'd have access to one of these through your library: http://www.ilovenjlibraries.org/content/elibrarynj
    Thanks, but my library isn't on that list.

I checked in with my library and seems they've FINALLY started the ebook thing, but the selection is really freaking small right now. The fiction titles are nothing I'd want to read. I've been on a big non-fiction kick for a while now, anyway, and there are a couple of titles there that I would check out, but again it's mostly stuff I don't want to read.

Hopefully they'll start picking up the pace and there will be more Southpaw-friendly titles in the coming days.

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    crossing my fingers that the abcs of egg cup collecting makes it to that new fangled format for you
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

Saint Smugpawski
    vCash
    crossing my fingers that the abcs of egg cup collecting makes it to that new fangled format for you
    A girl can dream.

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Thanks, but my library isn't on that list.
    You truly do live in a hellhole.

vCash
    you might want someone else's opinion, because i liked the goldfinch, not as much as the secret history though. but i was never bored.
    I was not bored by The Goldfinch, but I put the book down at Page 317 and refused to read another word. To say that I HATED this book is an understatement. I do not ever want to have to spend 5 more minutes in the company of any of the characters, and I have no intention of ever reading anything else by Donna Tartt. Most over-rated author and book of the last year IMHO.

having a nice day
    vCash
    I finished my PRINTED COPY of "the secret history." Even tho bunny's funeral before and
    after scenes were excruciating to experience. But it ended pretty much like I figured it would. It was a good first novel.

I think I will try her others, especially now that "the goldfinch" won the Pulitzer. On the other hand I have read most of the Pulitzer fiction novels and was wtf whhhhhhy? at some of them. Which ones I mercifully can't recall.

I tried the overdrive thing. The fiction selection sucked. Non-fiction selections sucked more. Plus it was v convoluted process to download the few I did want to read.

The kindle for android app was annoying.

I'm looking for quality not quantity.
    Have a nice day!

Page 15 of 38 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast