Page 14 of 38 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    Haven't read one since I was a kid, but I do remember reading the whole series and enjoying them. The narrator is a little boy, and his brother is somewhat of a con artist (The Great Brain) and they get into all kinds of adventures - takes place in Utah around the 1890s. The originals had lovely illustrations too.
    I LOVED the Great Brain books. There was a sort of wry, gentle humor in the author's voice as he looked back on all the wacky stuff his brother got them into, that I enjoyed.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

vCash
    I just finished Grasshopper Jungle. The first two thirds is really good, and then it all falls apart. I didn't even mind the love triangle, because it was different. (the main character suspects he's bisexual) However, the obligatory "teenagers who have sex out of wedlock must get pregnant" meme is in there, and then the whole battle scene, which the book had been building up to, falls flat.

And also, even though they figure out how to defeat the six-foot tall praying mantises (really! ), they......don't. Um. Okay.

I'm wondering if that will be changed in the movie, which is already in the works. And I'm wondering if they will take out the bisexuality.

Oh, and the book is not for pearl-clutchers. The language is pretty profane but realistic to teenagers, imho.

vCash
    Reading The Circle and really like it. Not a fan of our protagonist, but it's a very interesting concept.

Just me
    vCash
    I've read several of Robin Hobb's trilogies (Farseer, Liveship and Tawney Man), but that was a couple of years ago. I recently came across the short story Words Like Coins and it prompted me to open up the first book of the Rain Wilds Chronicles. I'm finding this a slow go at the beginning and I wonder if anyone who has already read this series can give me any encouragement to keep reading.

Do I just need to get back into the proper mind-set or is this whole series slower than the other ones?
    If this is to end in fire
    Then we will all burn together

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by genevieve View Post
    I finished Alif the Unseen last night (yes it takes me weeks to get through a thoroughly engaging book these days), and am sad now. The ending was a little too tidy and slightly half-baked, but the story was so grand that it would be hard to have an ending that completely satisfies. Tonight, if I can get off work in time, I'll be going to see author G Willow Wilson interviewing another author I'm not familiar with - hope there will be some speaking from Wilson on her work as well. She's had more renown for her work in comics, especially having created the first female muslim superhero, but I hope she returns to fiction literature as well. I really loved the way she presented different manifestations of muslim faith and culture, incorporating fantasy elements and modern technology, and a compelling central everyman character.

NOW what do I read?
    IA with you about the ending of Alif. I would love to see it made into a movie but I'm sure if that will happen.

I abandoned To the Moon and Back. It was was too slow for me. It also had a lot of stories, which distracted from the main story. Some authors can handle multiple plot lines very well and others just fumble them. Mansell is in the later group. So I saw the trailer for Gone Girl on YouTube last night and it made me finally to start to read the e-book that has been sitting on my e-reader/tablet for over a year (yeah, I know, you all probably think I've been sitting under a rock for the past couple of years). Hopefully, I'll be able to stick with it.
    "If people are looking for guarantees, they should buy appliances at Sears and stay away from human relationships."~Prancer

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by modern_muslimah View Post
    IA with you about the ending of Alif. I would love to see it made into a movie but I'm sure if that will happen.
    oooh, that would be great - but I am not sure Hollywood is ready for that (or that they would handle the material well even if a film were greenlit). Perhaps Wilson's profile will be raised enough in the comics world that an indie director could take it on?

My thoughts on the ending:

Spoiler

And the event I was going to tonight now has someone else on the bill in place of Wilson. Could still be an interesting discussion, but I'm not sure if I'll make the extra effort to get there now.
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
    I never thought I'd get on board with the e-book thing, but here I am and I'm reading more than I had in a long time because of it. I'm sure the authors are happy to take my money.
    Me, too. Ever since I got my Nook a few years ago, I've been reading so much more! I like traveling with just one small gadget instead of having to carry so many books. Plus I can read trashy stuff on the subway without fear of judgement

I got done with the Song of Ice and Fire series! I am feeling accomplished, relieved and a little lost I've been reading them forever!

Spoiler

I'm a little excited to leave Westeros behind. I have Burial Rites by Hannah Kent up next.
    Adelina Sotnikova is the 2014 Olympic champion!

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
    I resisted the idea of reading on a gadget for a long time because no goshdarnit, I'm a purist and paper books are the only way to go!
    It has been most amusing to watch all you Luddites sneak up on the bandwagon over the years.

PL is still holding out, but I figure that's because the better zombie books are the only ones that make it into print.

I thought I would hate reading on my phone. It's not my favorite thing, but it's not nearly as hateful as I thought it would be and does nicely in a pinch. I cannot, however, imagine writing a book on my phone. But that's apparently the Next Big Thing.

I have been reading annotated bibliographies--very long, detailed annotated bibliographies (well, some of them are very long and detailed).
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    I still don't own a Kindle or a Nook. I do read on my phone when I don't have a real book with me though.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Books on a Nook or Kindle are real books. They just aren't physical books. At least that is what I keep telling my mother...
    Creating drama!

having a nice day
    vCash
    I now *own* -for a quarter- an oversize paperback of "the secret history." That's a better deal to me than *thinking* I own one on an e-reader thingie.

"The secret history" is pretty good so far-irony, $50 words, $20 words, inadvertent humor, fairly sharp writing, etc. I'm v glad I found it.
    Have a nice day!

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    oh my god i love the secret history. based on these threads, iirc people either love it or hate it.

i cant believe southpaw went electronic. i didnt think anything not of the eisenhower administration was allowed in her apartment. im so sad. im still reading tangible books. i dont think my eyes can stand any more screen time.
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    I believe we've talked about The Secret History here, great book. I own the real copy.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    A lot of the books I read are either out of print and only available electronically, much cheaper electronically, or were never even published in print. So I'm very happy with my e-reader (reading on my phone is a last resort).

Quote Originally Posted by jeffisjeff View Post
    Books on a Nook or Kindle are real books. They just aren't physical books. At least that is what I keep telling my mother...
    My grandfather refuses to read paper books now that he has a Kindle. He'd rather have adjustable font sizes, a lightweight device, and the ability to buy online and get the books immediately. Now I'm trying to figure out what to recommend to him - he's almost finished reading Dorothy Dunnett's books, and that's tough to follow.

Quote Originally Posted by immoimeme View Post
    I now *own* -for a quarter- an oversize paperback of "the secret history." That's a better deal to me than *thinking* I own one on an e-reader thingie.
    Why is it only thinking you own it? A lot of ebooks are now DRM-free, and they're in better condition than many used books. So long as there is no disaster/apocalypse that will leave us without power for an extended period of time, e-books are no less real than paper ones. And they take up less space.

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    The word is PRINT. You own a PRINT copy. You prefer to read in PRINT. You like the smell of ink and paper you get with PRINT. You like to turn the pages of PRINT copies.

Do you people not spend all day reading annotated bibliographies of MLA citations that differentiate between Print, Web, Electronic Resources, Ebooks, Digital Files, and a million other forms of information?????
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    T

Do you people not spend all day reading annotated bibliographies of MLA citations that differentiate between Print, Web, Electronic Resources, Ebooks, Digital Files, and a million other forms of information?????
    i believe that activity is in the book of revelations
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

vCash
    PL is still holding out, but I figure that's because the better zombie books are the only ones that make it into print.
    I have read a couple of books on my iPad. But I didn't like it.

Your students use something other than web sources? So jealous.

Liberal Furry
    vCash
    I am reading the Maisie Dobbs mystery series (on the third right now), and am really enjoying them. They are set in the 1920s and early 30s- a period I love- but they all (so far) refer back to mysteries during World War 1. I like the characters, the setting and the writing, and the way the author emphasizes how the War defined a generation (Maisie served as a VAD). As mysteries they are not the most complex- the first was more of a novel than a whodunnit and the second I had figured out long before Maisie did, but overall they are a good read- especially if you are interested in the period.
    I know. But I do not approve. And I am not resigned.
    (Edna St Vincent Millay)

Saint Smugpawski
    Cutting Down Privet Because Food Prices Are Going Up Next Year
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by my little pony View Post
    i cant believe southpaw went electronic. i didnt think anything not of the eisenhower administration was allowed in her apartment. im so sad. im still reading tangible books. i dont think my eyes can stand any more screen time.
    My eyeballs went the other way - they're so accustomed to screen time that they don't like words on paper now. So it wasn't really my choice to go all Buck Rogers, my eyeballs had a stronger union and they won the fight.
    The fastest thing out of New Jersey since Tricky Nicky in a Muscovian handbasket

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by my little pony View Post
    i believe that activity is in the book of revelations

Page 14 of 38 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast