Page 17 of 38 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast
    having a nice day
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessLeppard View Post
    I don't remember hating or loving Catcher in the Rye. Now I'm going to have to reread it. Dammit.
    I would send you my PRINT COPY but alas I threw it in the trash long ago. Because it IS trash.
    IIRC that's the only novel I ever threw in the trash. Because it wasn't recycle-worthy; it was *trash* pure and simple.
    Have a nice day!

Saint Smugpawski
    Cutting Down Privet Because Food Prices Are Going Up Next Year
    vCash
    My new gadget is here and any trace of buyer's remorse that was angsting away at me the last couple of days has gone the way of Catcher in the Trash Can. This thing is just what I wanted even though I swore I would never buy it.
    The fastest thing out of New Jersey since Tricky Nicky in a Muscovian handbasket

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    If all you want is a reader and not a tablet, the Kindle Paperwhite and the Nook Glowlight are both excellent options If you want a tablet, you might want to test a variety, as I think there are better options than either the Nook or Kindle.
    I'm a B&N member and buy most of my physical books there, but I bought the Kindle Paperwhite. I didn't realize there was a Kindle app that you could use on the Nook and I'm not big into messing with formats. I was afraid that, if B&N went out of business, I might not be happy to have a Nook.

I'm glad I bought the Paperwhite instead of the regular Kindle. I definitely think the Paperwhite is easier on the eyes. My coworker wants to trade her Kindle in for a Paperwhite. Since she likes to read in bed, I think her husband wants that trade-in as well.

vCash
    Came across this today and thought it was relevant to the discussion on the benefits of e-reading.

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
    My new gadget is here and any trace of buyer's remorse that was angsting away at me the last couple of days has gone the way of Catcher in the Trash Can. This thing is just what I wanted even though I swore I would never buy it.
    I totally love my Nookie.

Quote Originally Posted by Allskate View Post
    I'm a B&N member and buy most of my physical books there, but I bought the Kindle Paperwhite. I didn't realize there was a Kindle app that you could use on the Nook and I'm not big into messing with formats. I was afraid that, if B&N went out of business, I might not be happy to have a Nook.
    I think that's a legitimate concern, too. I think B&N's demise is inevitable; it's just a matter of time. And for a while there, it looked like they were going to get out of the gadget business, so that was a fear. But then I decided that at the rate technology becomes obsolete, it really doesn't matter, as I will probably get a new gadget every few years anyway.

The Kindle app works on the Nook tablet; I don't think it works on any of the other devices. I don't buy many ebooks from Amazon, but they do have a lot of freebies.

Quote Originally Posted by Allskate View Post
    Since she likes to read in bed, I think her husband wants that trade-in as well.
    I started reading in Night mode in bed and now read in Night mode most of the time. I was really annoyed when I realized that Night mode wasn't available with all publications. It isn't even available any more on the Nook tablet in general. Overdrive still has it, so all my library books can be read in that format. My husband thinks Night mode is the best thing ever--that, and no more teetering piles of books on my nightstand.
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

having a nice day
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Zemgirl View Post
    Came across this today and thought it was relevant to the discussion on the benefits of e-reading.
    " The UN estimates that around 6 billion people have access to mobile phones today (compared to the 4.5 billion who have access to a toilet)"
    There ya go, what's more important-phone sh*t or sh*t sh*t?
    I tell yas what, I'd not like to try ta be wipin' my azz with a mobile phone eh. A printed book, well, now, *there's* something of comfort!
    Have a nice day!

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    So ... yesterday was World Book Day. How did I miss that?!? (I found out when I went to the library after work, though, so it's all good.)

Saint Smugpawski
    vCash
    Today I bought Sister Carrie, Brave New World and Venus In Furs from the El Cheapo bin.

THAT'S IT, I'M DONE I REALLY REALLY MEAN IT THIS TIME.
    The fastest thing out of New Jersey since Tricky Nicky in a Muscovian handbasket

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis@BC View Post
    So ... yesterday was World Book Day. How did I miss that?!? (I found out when I went to the library after work, though, so it's all good.)
    It's always April 23rd, because that is the day that Shakespeare and Cervantes died. And as Irina Bokrova of the UNESCO said of the day:

"Our goal is clear – to encourage authors and artists and to ensure that more women and men benefit from literacy and accessible formats, because books are our most powerful forces of poverty eradication and peace building. "

Bring on the cell phones.

Today is Poem in Your Pocket Day.

THAT'S IT, I'M DONE I REALLY REALLY MEAN IT THIS TIME.
    There, there, Southie. It will be all right.

Have you read Sister Carrie before? You will have to let me know what you think. One of my favorite professors was a Dreiser scholar, so I read a lot of Dreiser in college. Most people can't stand Dreiser.
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

Saint Smugpawski
    vCash
    Have you read Sister Carrie before? You will have to let me know what you think. One of my favorite professors was a Dreiser scholar, so I read a lot of Dreiser in college. Most people can't stand Dreiser.
    No, I haven't read that one yet. I read An American Tragedy and enjoyed it. My co-worker, with whom I share identical tastes in books and films, absolutely LURVES Sister Carrie so I consider it a very safe 99 cent bet.

I passed on the 99 cent copy of Winesburg, Ohio. For now.

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    No, I haven't read that one yet. I read An American Tragedy and enjoyed it. My co-worker, with whom I share identical tastes in books and films, absolutely LURVES Sister Carrie so I consider it a very safe 99 cent bet.
    If you liked An American Tragedy, you will probably like Sister Carrie--not that the story is the same at all, but it's Dreiser's style and Naturalistic themes that turns a lot of people off.

Winesburg is a pretty good deal for $1; you should give in one last time.

I think I will go poke through the bargain bin.

Saint Smugpawski
    vCash
    Winesburg is a pretty good deal for $1; you should give in one last time.
    I just gave in one last buck for The Octopus by Frank Norris and the formatting looks like such ass that I don't think I'll be able to read it.

vCash
    For those of you who read historical romance and historical fiction - have there been any new releases and authors that have impressed you? I'm looking for new-to-me authors and having very little luck.

Saint Smugpawski
    vCash
    For those of you who read historical romance and historical fiction - have there been any new releases and authors that have impressed you? I'm looking for new-to-me authors and having very little luck.
    I picked up The Last Telegram in the El Cheapo bin, but haven't touched it yet so I can't tell you whether it's worth the three bucks I spent on it or not.

Just me
    vCash
    Who have you already read?
    If this is to end in fire
    Then we will all burn together

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Nan View Post
    Who have you already read?
    It's a long list I figured it would be more effective to just see what other people have enjoyed recently (and thanks, Southpaw - I'll look into that).

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    I just gave in one last buck for The Octopus by Frank Norris and the formatting looks like such ass that I don't think I'll be able to read it.
    Norris I am still trying to get over McTeague.

If you call B&N and bitch about the format, they might give you a refund. They've done it for me (but always say it's because I am a very, very good customer).

I'm up to six books from the cheapie bin. I totally blame you for this.

Saint Smugpawski
    vCash
    I'm up to six books from the cheapie bin. I totally blame you for this.
    If you buy the Peter Criss autobiography they'll start recommending the Vin Diesel biography to you. Uh, not quite B&N, but thanks.

I freaking LOVED McTeague!

Just me
    vCash
    It's a long list I figured it would be more effective to just see what other people have enjoyed recently (and thanks, Southpaw - I'll look into that).
    Since the beginning of the year, I've read Grace Burrowes, Georgette Heyer, Ashley Gardner (Jennifer Ashley), Josephine Tey, Prue Batten, Bernard Cornwell, Lorraine Heath, and Sharon Kay Penman among others. Maybe there is a name there you haven't tried.
    If this is to end in fire
    Then we will all burn together

vCash
    Norris I am still trying to get over McTeague.

I freaking LOVED McTeague!
    All I remember about McTeague was the giant tooth and thinking "wtf" the entire time I was reading it.

Page 17 of 38 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast