Page 4 of 38 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    ^ The movie was absolutely wonderful. It could have gone horribly wrong, turned into a lowest-common-denominator teen flick, but it was handled beautifully.

I haven't read the book yet -- but it's on my list, because of how good the movie was.

INTJ
    vCash
    The movie version of Perks totally lived up to the book, which I don't say often. They managed to not turn it into a syrupy teen chick flick.
    "Beautiful things don't ask for attention." -The Secret Life of Walter Mitty

vCash
    Gone crazy. Be back soon.

having a nice day
    vCash
    "Black House" is continually swooping us via airborne mode around the town from character to character. I guess it's relevant to something upcoming in the plot but right now it's nothing but an annoying literary device that uses too many words.
    Have a nice day!

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    I got Double Down because Princess told me to.

It better be good.
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

vCash
    The Perks movie was wonderful, I agree. One of my favorite movies of the last several years, really.

vCash
    I got Lost Lake today from the library after placing a hold on it. I liked a couple of other books by Sarah Addison Allen including The Peach Keeper and The Girl Who Chased the Moon. So I'm hoping this book will keep my attention. Lately, I haven't been able to focus on any book long enough to finish it.
    "If people are looking for guarantees, they should buy appliances at Sears and stay away from human relationships."~Prancer

vCash
    Last night I stayed up way too late finished the Rot & Ruin series (Fire and Ash is the last book) and thought it was the best book of the series. The ending was satisfying without wrapping everything up too neatly. Though, really, did EVERY character need to be paired off at the end? Couldn't SOMEONE remain single? I mean, it's YA, but come on....

But I guess if that's my only snark, it wasn't too bad, then.

Re-registered User
    vCash
    I finished Lilith's Brood (Octavia Butler) last night. I loved the first book, liked the second, and enjoyed the third section almost as much as the first. I read one review on Goodreads where the person gave the book one star, because they hated every single character in the books, but found it so compelling they read it in one sitting. I can see that happening. This is way out there alien SF, and at the same time it is character driven and beautifully written. If you like the kind of book that constantly makes you think about how you might react in the same situation, I'd recommend it even to non-genre readers.
    ‎"You emerge victorious from the maze you've been travelling in." Oct 21,2012- Best Fortune Cookie Ever!

vCash
    Thanks to the poster who recommended "The Aviator's Wife." I read it yesterday--yeah, I had a lot of time on my hands--and found it engrossing, obviously. I find it a bit odd to read an historical novel where the details may have been spelled out elsewhere but the author needs to fill it out with imagined conversations, etc. Still, I enjoyed it and it makes me want to read other bios on the Lindberghs, which was one of the author's stated goals.

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    Um, for those who like "skating" novels, here's one for you http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/trai...=2940148856832

This would add another couple of Ls to JWeir's trip to hell. Definitely X rated.
    Those who never succeed themselves are always the first to tell you how.

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    I finished Chris Hadfield's book last night, An Astronaut's Guide to Life on Earth. I so wanted to love this book ... but just couldn't.

The over-riding messages of the book can be boiled down to three things: "Be prepared." "Work hard at whatever you do." "Treat every job as though it's the most important job in the world." All laudable sentiments ... but it didn't really take a whole book to explain them.

Part of the problem of course is that we've been spoiled by all the documentaries, YouTube videos, and Tweets and photos that actually showed what life on the ISS was like. Reading about it in in plain prose is pretty pedestrian by comparison.

I still love Commander Chris and think he's amazing, particularly his zest for life and his commitment to making science and space exploration understandable and accessible. But the book ... not so much.

vCash
    I read Rachel Caine's "Working Stiff" yesterday - the first in her Revivalist series, concerning a certain secret drug that can reanimate corpses is corrupting the world. I actually found the plot pretty believable and the heorine is an ex-soldier with skills to get herself out of some situations that would normally have the hero rushing in to save her. She still does some incredibly stupid things to keep the plot rolling along but I enjoyed the story. I think I've already read the second one so now I need to find out what else has come down the pike.

The I started Jame's Patterson's "The 8th Confession". It's the only one of the series that I skipped somehow and it's a fast breezy read before I plunge back into my historical mystery binge.
    I'd rather be thought of as absolutely ridiculous than as absolutely boring.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    I'm behind the times here, but I finally got around to reading The Help and I can't put it down, even after seeing the movie and pretty much knowing how it's going to go. I'm going to have to see the movie again too - I originally saw it on a plane, so not optimal conditions for enjoying it.

Also recently finished the latest Lincoln Lawyer novel by Michael Connelly and was sadly disappointed. It wasn't bad, just wasn't as good as the other ones in developing characters - even the lead character felt flat - and the crime wasn't particularly interesting either. It just plodded along as expected with no twists and turns or surprises. Sigh, I was so excited to read that one.

Liberal Furry
    vCash
    I recently finished "the Holy and the Broken" by Alan Light- a history of the song "Hallelujah" and how it grew from being an obscure song on a 1984 Leonard Cohen album to being one of the most recorded and covered songs in the first decade of this century. It's unusual to have a whole book about one song, but this is one of the songs that can carry it. It has led me to look up the various cover versions that I hadn't heard before. (KD Lang is still my favourite.)
    I know. But I do not approve. And I am not resigned.
    (Edna St Vincent Millay)

having a nice day
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rfisher View Post
    Um, for those who like "skating" novels, here's one for you http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/trai...=2940148856832

This would add another couple of Ls to JWeir's trip to hell. Definitely X rated.
    Lol love the cover! Synopsis definatellllly uh-hmmmm! First review hilarious. Good find whee!
    Have a nice day!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessLeppard View Post
    I liked that book as well. The movie, however, looked horrific and I haven't seen it.
    Count me as another who highly recommends it. It's one of the best book-to-film adaptions I've seen. The author of the book also wrote and directed the movie, so it's very true to the original.

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    I got Double Down because Princess told me to.

It better be good.
    Okay, it was good.

I followed the election pretty closely, so the overall story was familiar, but the details...oh, the details. My absolute favorite moment out of many was when Romney's top adviser had to excuse himself to throw up during Clint Eastwood's...er, appearance at the RNC and a bunch of Romney's other aides were running around in circles waving their arms screaming "CUT HIM OFF! CUT HIM OFF!"

In Game Change, all my sympathy went to McCain, and here, it went to Romney, who came across as a really decent, intelligent guy who just can't say things quite the right way and was so exhausted he couldn't think straight. I've seen a lot of rants about how both books are liberal screeds out to promote Obama, but I hope that isn't true, because Obama doesn't come off all that well in either book, at least not for me. His two strongest personality traits appear to be a big ego and impressive self-control. You do need at least some of both to run for President, but neither he nor Romney come across as men who like other people much and neither of them really seem all that suited to the political life. Bill Clinton now--love him or hate, there is a political animal through and through.
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

vCash
    Prancer, did you get annoyed by the 'big' words in the book? The N.Y. Times reviewer seemed ticked at the use of obscure words.

Mine is finally in at the library. Excited to get it.

vCash
    I did not notice that the vocab was particularly difficult?

I, too, enjoyed the RNC chapter. Things were going sort of okay for Romney in spite of the 47% comment and then, blam, empty chair and people barfing.

Epic.

Page 4 of 38 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast