Page 3 of 39 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

vCash
    To Tick off another box ("the main character was a real person") in my challenge, I'm reading "Jane and the Man of The Cloth" by Stephanie Barron. It's the second in her series featuring Jane Austen solving mysteries set in the locations of her now-famous novels. It's written in diary format, in the rather florid style of of the times and concerns the Austen family (Mom, Pop, Jane and her sister, Caroline, going to stay for a time in Lyme. On the way, they suffer a carriage accident, Caroline is injured and the family spends the night at the nearby Grange. The Grange's owner is a solitary, mysterious and somewhat sinister gentleman who both fascinates and repels our gentle Jane. I'm not far enough into it to know what the actual mystery is but the gothic touches are amusing and I'll see where it goes.
    I'd rather be thought of as absolutely ridiculous than as absolutely boring.

vCash
    Kwanatic - if you're a fan of long lingering looks at luscious lips and pecs, you'll enjoy Divergent. Artemis is right, there's a great story there, it's just lost at times. How did you feel about Mockingjay?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dbell1 View Post
    Pat - I LOVED those two books in the Gamache series. I actually read The Beautiful Mystery before any other books in the series. Then I started at the beginning and reread it later while waiting for the last book.

I remember reading Valley of the Dolls when I was 10. Probably not kiddie lit?
    Um no, but then neither was Harold Robbins, Sidney Sheldon.......many others.

Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    I started reading adult books when I was about 12.

Yeah, like that. I even remember reading that one.

I read some really filthy stuff between 12 and 18--like, stuff I would consider filthy even now.
    Isn't that when you're supposed to read stuff like that?
    Gone crazy. Be back soon.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Must be so different for kids now with all manner of movies easily accessed, and the entire internet at their fingertips.

Re-registered User
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Evilynn View Post
    Got about 5 pages left of Winter's Bone and then I think I'll continue with Ted Chiang's The Lifecycle of Software Objects.
    Ted Chiang has written some of my favourite short stories. I'll have to check this one out.

Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    I read some really filthy stuff between 12 and 18--like, stuff I would consider filthy even now.
    It brings back fond memories of The Wolf and the Dove by Kathleen Woodiwiss.

I stopped by a local thrift shop and found a lovely trade paperback of Octavia Butler's Lilith's Brood. I actually exclaimed "Score!" when I found it!
    ‎"You emerge victorious from the maze you've been travelling in." Oct 21,2012- Best Fortune Cookie Ever!

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rjblue View Post
    It brings back fond memories of The Wolf and the Dove by Kathleen Woodiwiss.
    I read a lot of Kathleen Woodiwiss.

But that's not what I'm talking about when I say filth. Those books were just mildly slutty. Some of the books I read were, um, way beyond that kind of thing.

Sometimes I look at my kids and wonder what they're reading on the internet; then I think, "Well, it can't be worse."

It was all very educational in its way.

Congrats on finding the Butler book. I don't particularly like SF, but I do like her work.
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

Re-registered User
    vCash
    Yeah, I also read The Harrad Experiment and Mandingo, but those are not good memories, like Woodiwiss.
    ‎"You emerge victorious from the maze you've been travelling in." Oct 21,2012- Best Fortune Cookie Ever!

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    I'm reading EARTHQUAKE:THE DESTRUCTION OF SAN FRANCISCO (or The San Francisco Earthquake, not sure what the correct title is), and I think it's really gripping. It was published in 1971, so it would be interesting to get an updated version, but still--if you thought the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina was bad, the aftermath of the earthquake was . People really were no better in the past; they may have been worse.
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

vCash
    I started reading adult books when I was about 12.
    My father wanted me to know about everything and gave me "adult" reading material, himself.
    We would discuss it.

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    My dad was a high school English teacher. We had all the required reading books in the house, so I read them all, usually years before they came up in class. Which worked out well, as it meant the first time I was able to read them for pure enjoyment, and the second time for "literary" reasons.

vCash
    Kwanatic - if you're a fan of long lingering looks at luscious lips and pecs, you'll enjoy Divergent. Artemis is right, there's a great story there, it's just lost at times. How did you feel about Mockingjay?
    Oh jeez, it's not like Twilight is it? I don't want to be tricked into polluting my brain with another story like that.

I liked Mockingjay until the very end. I just feel like it ended in a rush, like someone was standing over Collins as she typed screaming, "Wrap it up! Wrap it up now!!" I liked the psychological struggle Katniss had to deal with in Mockingjay. She bends nearly to the point of breaking throughout the whole book, but she never fully breaks. I liked that aspect of it. It made it a bit more realistic to me...but yeah, the last 30 or 40 pages were a disappointment. Too many things happened too fast and hardly any of it was explained. I felt like I blinked twice and was at the end without knowing what the hell happened. I'm much more a fan of the first two books...

vCash
    Not as bad as Twilight. I don't think anyone in the Divergent series sparkles. Although Tris is cranky most of the time, at least when she's not gazing at "Four".

I liked Mockingjay more on the second read. Guess I was expecting the character assassinations to happen.

Just finished The All Girl Filling Station's Last Reunion by Fannie Flagg. Loved it. I laughed out loud several times. And cried at the right spots.

Now wondering what to read next. There are way too many choices...

vCash
    Just finished The All Girl Filling Station's Last Reunion by Fannie Flagg. Loved it. I laughed out loud several times. And cried at the right spots.

Now wondering what to read next. There are way too many choices...
    Dayum, I'd forgotten about Fannie Flagg. I'll have to check this one out. yes indeed........so many choices.
    Gone crazy. Be back soon.

Poster of Pet Vines
    Guess: StirRapidly+Anti+LargestHumanOrgan
    vCash
    I just read "Hollow City: The Second Novel of Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children" overnight.

It's a fun series. quirky in all the right ways.
    Sit vis nobiscum.
    Vah! Denuone Latine loquebar? Me ineptum. Interdum modo elabitur

vCash
    On reflection, after reading the Flagg book, I've decided I'm not a fan of a big plot twist in it. I won't spill it here, but if anyone else in the thread reads the book, PM me or spoiler text it and I'll reply with my complaints.

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by slicekw View Post
    I just read "Hollow City: The Second Novel of Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children" overnight.

It's a fun series. quirky in all the right ways.
    I'm looking forward to that one eventually -- but I had to return the 1st book to the library before I'd finished it so have to get that one back first. What I read of it I really liked.

vCash
    Having finished with Jane, I'm on to Ashley Gardner's 5th Capt. Lacey mystery, "A Body in Berkeley Square." She certainly doesn't waste time getting into the murder, at least. The body shows up on the first page. I confess though that Lacey's obsession with Louisa, his former commander's wife and the man arrested for the first-page murder, is becoming tiresome. He has other options, I like the way the secondary characters are fleshing out as the series develops and it's also nice to have a Regency setting with characters who aren't all titled aristocrats.
    I'd rather be thought of as absolutely ridiculous than as absolutely boring.

vCash
    I loved Miss Peregrine's Home and plan on buying the second one with my next paycheck So excited!

vCash
    Finished "The Perks of Being a Wallflower", a book I started last night around 10pm and finished around 2:30am. It's quite short (220 pages or so) and it's structured in a letter-writing format, expanding on the diary-stylization of Bridget Jones and presaging the blog post format (book published in the late 90s). The protagonist is extremely sympathetic and engaging--painfully sincere, quiet, bright and well-meaning. His yearning for companionship touched me.

vCash
    I liked that book as well. The movie, however, looked horrific and I haven't seen it.

Page 3 of 39 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast