Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by olympic View Post
    I like the fact that Taylor Swift is involved in a pic w/ a US skater: She has a huge bevy of followers that might wander over to figure skating and get hooked. Maybe, we can start filling up arenas the way that Japanese fans do (getting ahead of myself, I know)
    Hopefully, I highly doubt it though. I think what the US needs is for someone to be dominant internationally and be able to win a lot of World Championships and maybe interest in the sport might be renewed. Or maybe have some big drama or rivalry... that non- figure skating fans will be interested in.

vCash
    You know, I was at the Newark, NJ SOI stop last night and while it was a good crowd by current standards, it really hit me that if they can't even fill up a smaller arena in one of the most densely populated areas of the country in an Olympic year, featuring Olympic champs, the sport really is in some serious trouble.

I compare that to the gymnastics tour I went to back in 2012 in DC which was about 90+% full in comparison IIRC.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RD View Post
    You know, I was at the Newark, NJ SOI stop last night and while it was a good crowd by current standards, it really hit me that if they can't even fill up a smaller arena in one of the most densely populated areas of the country in an Olympic year, featuring Olympic champs, the sport really is in some serious trouble.

I compare that to the gymnastics tour I went to back in 2012 in DC which was about 90+% full in comparison IIRC.
    I think it partially has to do with the success of both teams. The US figure skaters were pretty lackluster (besides Meryl and Charlie) and there wasn't that much hype surrounding them. If you compare to gymnastics, gymnastics was everywhere. On top of that, they won the team gold and Gabby won the all around. The media was all over them (and McKayla's meme), and because of that, everyone knew who the members of the Fierce 5 were.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smarts1 View Post
    .......The media was all over them (and McKayla's meme)..........
    Ashley had a meme too.

vCash
    Here is a new article about Gracie: Olympian Gracie Gold keeping spins, blades sharp with 'Stars on Ice' http://www.twincities.com/entertainm...es-sharp-stars

This portion is very interesting....

"Frank and I do want to work on a triple axel and we definitely would like to play around with -- it seems silly when women talk about it -- but a quad toe-loop," says Gold, adding that it will be fun to work on new and more difficult elements and figuring out, strategically, if she can complete them with enough consistency for them to earn her high scores. "Right now, unless we add in a second triple-triple (combination jump), I'm kind of reaching the technical limit, and that means we really have to enhance the artistic component."
    Not sure about her mastering the 3A soon since it seems she's having problems with her 2A (or maybe it was just the nerves at Worlds). I wonder if in this next quad she'll really be able to do a quad toe-loop though but she does have a good jump technique.
    Last edited by redfiretrees; 04-29-2014 at 07:23 PM.

vCash
    From what I saw and heard from other SOI shows, she's been struggling a lot with her 2A. At our show, she stepped out of her first 2A and I believe she popped the second one?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bronwynsings View Post
    From what I saw and heard from other SOI shows, she's been struggling a lot with her 2A. At our show, she stepped out of her first 2A and I believe she popped the second one?
    Hmmmm... wonder what's happening. Is the 2A becoming a mental jump for her? This might be a stupid question but since I don't really know how to skate and I'm a new figure skating fan...I've read on the internet that triple jumps are supposed to be harder than the double axel is this true? So I wonder why she's having problems with her 2A. Hope she gets to work on it before this new season starts.

vCash
    Well, GG states the obvious - add more difficult elements -and/or- up the artistic merit of her programs to get better. I agree that talking about a 3x when you are having trouble w/ the 2x is a head-scratcher. I've never seen her perform a 3toe solo to have an opinion on whether a 4toe is possible.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by redfiretrees View Post
    Hmmmm... wonder what's happening. Is the 2A becoming a mental jump for her? This might be a stupid question but since I don't really know how to skate and I'm a new figure skating fan...I've read on the internet that triple jumps are supposed to be harder than the double axel is this true? So I wonder why she's having problems with her 2A. Hope she gets to work on it before this new season starts.
    Yes, triple jumps are generally harder than a 2Axel.... however, it would depend on the skater.. for someone with a weak axel the 2A might always be an issue.

If GG is indeed working on a 3A, perhaps it is messing up her timing for the 2A.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyWarhol View Post
    Yes, triple jumps are generally harder than a 2Axel.... however, it would depend on the skater.. for someone with a weak axel the 2A might always be an issue.

If GG is indeed working on a 3A, perhaps it is messing up her timing for the 2A.
    Ah okay. Thank you for answering my question. Hmmm... I read somewhere in this thread that Gracie doesn't have a great axel jump technique though.

vCash
    she's hoping to take at least a couple of online college classes while she prepares for the next figure skating season.
    It's also great for Gracie that she's "going" to college since she said that she plans to take online college classes this coming fall. Well good for her. I believe she's said in an interview that she want to go into the medical field/profession. Can't remember what specialization though...

vCash
    Just a thought, but if the spotlight is glaring into your eye at the moment you go forward into a jump like an axel, it can really mess things up because you go temporarily blind. It is hard to train with spotlights, you just get on the job experience as you go. The spotlights might be different each night or venue.I'm thinking that a jump like 3Toe loop might not be as blinding becauseyou are going backwards. If the spotlight is on your face and not the ice, you can't see your feet sometimes! And can still fall on something simple.
    Quote Originally Posted by redfiretrees View Post

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112