Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MrLucky View Post
    I agree -but maybe Frank/Lori did not have enough time this season.
    Hopefully Gracie's choreo will show some originality next season.

I don't think a "Barbie on skates" is going to beat the Russian girls anytime soon.
    I hope so. Maybe she will work with someone other than Lori. Frank is a good influence on everyone, but Lori is not for everyone. I worry she will continue only with her. She has come so far from the boob shimmies, but I think the style was flattening.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Why are people freaking out because of one unfortunate free skate? Has Gracie improved by leagues and leagues under Frank's tutelage or not? How quickly we forget her Nationals performances and a very good showing in Sochi.

Frank has got it right. He was just working with a very unfortunate free skate. It would have been too much to change both SP and FS before Nats. I think we will see even more great improvement over the summer.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    I agree...she blew it big time here, BUT...that was all on her. She let her head get in the way once again.

Gold is heading in the right direction (up), anyway, so long-term I think she'll be fine. No panic necessary.

vCash
    I'm not worried. It's been a long season. It's hard to make sense of any of the skating or placements for the next quad since all the girls were aiming to peak in Sochi, not worlds. In recent memory, it took Yamaguchi, Kwan, Hughes and Cohen three appearances at worlds before they won a medal. Ironically, the more inconsistent US skaters were the ones who medaled at their first worlds: Meissner, Harding, Kerrigan. After Kostner's ridiculous score for that mess, the odds weren't very high for Gracie to medal anyway, no matter what her personal best may be. Next season will be her third full season as a senior and that's when she really needs to emerge as a fierce contender. I sure hope we see those big jumps again though. I sure miss em.

vCash
    I was gutted for Gracie but considering where she started the season (losing to Courtney Hicks in Salt Lake City) she has made major strides. Who knows if she'll end up dominating the next quad - she's certainly worked hard enough to! I just hope she keeps improving and enjoying the process and we'll just have to let the medals fall where they may.

vCash
    Deleted

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fenway2 View Post
    I'm not worried. It's been a long season. It's hard to make sense of any of the skating or placements for the next quad since all the girls were aiming to peak in Sochi, not worlds. In recent memory, it took Yamaguchi, Kwan, Hughes and Cohen three appearances at worlds before they won a medal. Ironically, the more inconsistent US skaters were the ones who medaled at their first worlds: Meissner, Harding, Kerrigan. After Kostner's ridiculous score for that mess, the odds weren't very high for Gracie to medal anyway, no matter what her personal best may be. Next season will be her third full season as a senior and that's when she really needs to emerge as a fierce contender. I sure hope we see those big jumps again though. I sure miss em.
    Well, I think bronze was about right for Kostner. She does skate miles better than Anna or Gracie. I think the two skaters who were robbed were Ashley and Akiko by far. Akiko should have broken 70+ for PCS in the LP. No way should she have been below Julia in PCS. I never understood why the judges always seemed to have a love affair with some European skaters.

Anyways, yes, I'm not worried either about Gracie. She's probably burnt out from competing this whole season. Plus you can't skate perfectly all the time. It's not possible, and all the great champions have shown that to us.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smarts1 View Post
    She's probably burnt out from competing this whole season.
    Competing, moving far from home, getting a new coach, learning how to exchange speed for control, changing Short Programs in mid-season, and being the center of far more media attention than she ever has been before. Small wonder if she's burnt out.

vCash
    But looking forward to her having a full season w/o interruptions

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smarts1 View Post
    Well, I think bronze was about right for Kostner. She does skate miles better than Anna or Gracie. I think the two skaters who were robbed were Ashley and Akiko by far. Akiko should have broken 70+ for PCS in the LP. No way should she have been below Julia in PCS. I never understood why the judges always seemed to have a love affair with some European skaters.

Anyways, yes, I'm not worried either about Gracie. She's probably burnt out from competing this whole season. Plus you can't skate perfectly all the time. It's not possible, and all the great champions have shown that to us.
    I thought Akiko was a mess and marked very generously. I saw so many little mistakes throughout her performance.

vCash
    It's true that she did improve leaps and bounds this season with everything that has happened to her. I guess..I'm just panicking since a lot of the naysayers are already predicting doom and gloom for her that she'll never be international medal worthy in the upcoming quad.

I agree though that hopefully her packaging and programs next season will play to her athletic strengths.

vCash
    It's a mixture of disappointment and frustration that she already blew one chance. But forget "packaging" and all that other junk - she just needs to deliver UNDER PRESSURE. That is all. Do that and she'll be fine, I guarantee it.

I think she has been through a lot this season, so next year is a chance to start over with a clean slate and a stable coaching situation. If she can stay healthy, sky could be the limit. She just has to control her nerves in competition when a medal is within reach, that's all.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RD View Post
    It's a mixture of disappointment and frustration that she already blew one chance. But forget "packaging" and all that other junk - she just needs to deliver UNDER PRESSURE. That is all. Do that and she'll be fine, I guarantee it.

I think she has been through a lot this season, so next year is a chance to start over with a clean slate and a stable coaching situation. If she can stay healthy, sky could be the limit. She just has to control her nerves in competition when a medal is within reach, that's all.
    Well.. true but some of the comments I've read on other sites are more of GLEE that she had a bad FS and that she's not living up to the hype (haters I guess). If you think about it though she did deliver under pressure at the Olympics, most especially during the FS skating after Sotnikova. So I think she has it in her BUT there wasn't a medal close for to grasp there so that might have been the BIG difference. But yes, I agree she has a lot of work to do on her mental game.

I was just able to look at the protocols now. Wow she got great GOE across the board for her 3-3. As someone mentioned in this thread it was really the best 3Lz + 3T of the competition.
    Last edited by redfiretrees; 03-30-2014 at 08:47 AM.

vCash

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Seerek View Post
    Wow. I bet that's the thrill of Gracie's life.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by redfiretrees View Post
    Well.. true but some of the comments I've read on other sites are more of GLEE that she had a bad FS and that she's not living up to the hype (haters I guess). If you think about it though she did deliver under pressure at the Olympics, most especially during the FS skating after Sotnikova. So I think she has it in her BUT there wasn't a medal close for to grasp there so that might have been the BIG difference. But yes, I agree she has a lot of work to do on her mental game.

I was just able to look at the protocols now. Wow she got great GOE across the board for her 3-3. As someone mentioned in this thread it was really the best 3Lz + 3T of the competition.
    Gracie's jumps are great. I don't think that was ever a question. Her ability to deliver under pressure consistently is in question.
    How many clean back to back performances has she delivered at a competition?

I am glad she did not do fabulously at the OLYs or Worlds. I think she will do well with some seasoning. Hopefully in the calm of the post Olympic season, she can approach things calmly and in a well-thought out manner (By that I mean, programs that work for [I]her[I] costuming and make up that is more sophisticated, a little more humility, and a season of following Frank's training.
    DH - and that's just my opinion

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Wow, Taylor Swift really knows how to upstage someone.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    I bet she was super thrilled since I know she's a big Taylor Swift fan. Must be cool for a teenager to be able to hang out with one of your music idols. Well good for her. She's enjoying the perks of being an Olympian.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AxelAnnie View Post
    Hopefully in the calm of the post Olympic season, she can approach things calmly and in a well-thought out manner (By that I mean, programs that work for [I]her[I] costuming and make up that is more sophisticated, a little more humility, and a season of following Frank's training.
    I actually really liked both of her dresses this season (SP and FS). I know a lot of people didn't like the FS dress but I think it was pretty enough.

vCash
    I like the fact that Taylor Swift is involved in a pic w/ a US skater: She has a huge bevy of followers that might wander over to figure skating and get hooked. Maybe, we can start filling up arenas the way that Japanese fans do (getting ahead of myself, I know)

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast