Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    vCash
    She looked really beautiful in the short. Scarlet lips and costume offset against all that paleness and blonde hair, the tinkly opening notes of such choice music - trust Frank to package her just right. She looked like Disney's Aurora on ice. Considering that the 3T looked UR and the 2A was tight, coupled with her relative newness on the scene, I was expecting a lower score for her; thankfully, it seems that the judges like Gracie just fine. I enjoyed her program more than Kim's, to be honest.

Let's hope Gracie does well in a few hours time.

vCash
    GG (Jr. National Champion, Sr. National Champion, Jr. Worlds Silver Medalist, 4th at her first Olympics) was the BOMB! The real deal. My God I thought she was going to get the Olympic bronze, but then the fall, but holy smokes she blew me away the most out of ALL the American women!

I simply cannot wait to see what she has in store for all of us USA fans in the next quadrennial, as imho she has more *raw* talent then anybody since Tonya Harding. She's got the goods to be Olympic & World Champion, and she's only 18 years old. Oh my....

vCash
    Congratulations to Gracie on an awesome free skate and her fourth place finish!

vCash
    That was a pretty good performance...made even more so because of having to follow Adelina and all the adulation she received. It would have been easy for her to really falter, but she held it together. Good job.

Clueless American
    vCash
    Congrats to her! I hope she's proud and happy w/her Olympics... she did a great job... hope she'll do even better at Worlds. I went from being kinda 'meh' on her last year to really being a fan of her skating this year. She really has improved so much not only in her skating but her competitive toughness.

vCash
    Frank's Magic Wand rules!

vCash
    Nice job Gracie! You'll get 'em next time.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FSfan107 View Post
    Congratulations to Gracie on an awesome free skate and her fourth place finish!
    So proud of her! All the best to Gracie @ Worlds, too!

vCash
    Gracie has totally blown me away this entire Olympics. She's been so poised the entire event and has really turned her skating and competitive reputation around. A clean and gutsy skate in the team event, fighting for every element in the short program and keeping her composure in the individual long amidst the aftermath of Adelina's skate and that horrible Russian audience. Hope to see her at Worlds where she'll skate well again and bring home some hardware. Go Gracie!
    Last edited by zigzig; 02-21-2014 at 05:22 PM.

vCash
    Very proud of Gracie. Very self-possessed, excellent skate despite the fall. If she had had another year with Frank, maybe she could really have contended. I really look forward to seeing how she develops. And it was so cute seeing her mom and twin in the stands.

vCash
    Gracie has learned to compete in such a short amount of time. I would love to see her on the world podium next month. As long as Akiko and Mao don't 't have a change of heart about not competing in worlds, and you know they will, I think Gracie's chances for a medal this year are excellent.

vCash
    It looks like Gracie will definitely be in a hunt for a medal at worlds. Really great skating from her, though she does need to work on her mental block with that 3F. If she'd hit that she'd have scored over 140+!

I was not much of a fan of Gracie's last season or at the beginning of this season but she's turned me around. She progressed impossibly fast and has really done a great job since nationals. She handled herself very well at the Olympics, much better than I thought she would.

I'm hopeful she'll have two great programs next season rather than a nice one and a doctored Zoueva reject one. I hope she continues to work on her arms (much less samurai-swordy but still in need of some refinement) and her expression/connection to the music. But considering the leaps and bounds she's improved in less than a year, I'm very happy for her.

Anyone else realize she's kinda following Mirai's path with Frank? Disappointing GP before the Olympics, great showing at nationals, great showings at the Olympics and a 4th place finish. Hopefully Gracie will keep her nerves and check and continue to deliver and improve over these next few years. Mirai started off well at worlds following her 4th place finish in Vancouver but never found her stride again...my fingers are crossed Gracie doesn't go that way.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanatic View Post
    It looks like Gracie will definitely be in a hunt for a medal at worlds. Really great skating from her, though she does need to work on her mental block with that 3F. If she'd hit that she'd have scored over 140+!

I was not much of a fan of Gracie's last season or at the beginning of this season but she's turned me around. She progressed impossibly fast and has really done a great job since nationals. She handled herself very well at the Olympics, much better than I thought she would.

I'm hopeful she'll have two great programs next season rather than a nice one and a doctored Zoueva reject one. I hope she continues to work on her arms (much less samurai-swordy but still in need of some refinement) and her expression/connection to the music. But considering the leaps and bounds she's improved in less than a year, I'm very happy for her.

Anyone else realize she's kinda following Mirai's path with Frank? Disappointing GP before the Olympics, great showing at nationals, great showings at the Olympics and a 4th place finish. Hopefully Gracie will keep her nerves and check and continue to deliver and improve over these next few years. Mirai started off well at worlds following her 4th place finish in Vancouver but never found her stride again...my fingers are crossed Gracie doesn't go that way.
    Gracie has more fortitude and willpower than Mirai did in 2010, and came to FC w/ good technique already so I'm optimistic

vCash
    I love Gracie's bitchface! I loved how she walked right past Sotnikova. My favorite things about Gracie gold are her triple lutz and her bitchface. I also like her arms in her layback spin.

Now this little princess schtick she's on has to go, she's gotta do a tango. Or a flamenco. No cute schmamy-muzac "modern" version either, full out fire and passion with actual choreography behind it and you've got a World Champion.

I think Frank will have her practicing triple axels this off-season, he had Mirai doing them in practice and I think that's the money jump at least one or two skaters will have within the next couple years. She did a good job and she has a medal. She has a lot of coming out of her shell to do as a skater still, but it'll get there she came so far this year. Now it's time for a Salome, Frank didn't really get to spend a lot of time on programs with her. What Lori did for Kostner was nothing short of a miracle (for us).

vCash
    Karpenko,

I think you might be on to something; Looking at the robust increase in scores over the past two (2) years, the powerful elements, the jump layouts at Sochi, and the forthcoming Russian onslaught in years ahead, Gracie is probably the biggest foil to Russian hegemony w/ the retirements of Yu Na, Mao, Carolina and Akiko. But she will need to step up her game even further to be a threat and a player:

Element-wise, the 3x is an idea: She was doing them in practice w/ a harness under Ouriashev, but I would say backload the programs a little more (Adelina does her 2x-3t in the 2nd half of the LP). The 3loop is the 3d jumping pass, but maybe she could switch it out w/ her final 2x, just as an example to point-whore.

Choreographically, skate to something like Carmina Burana. It's beautiful music but not princess-y and showcases power. Her skating is 'neater' and more poised w/ FC. I actually like her Skating Skills more than Adelina's and Julia's (but I think the 2 Russians skate w/ a little more heart right now when they are 'on') but FC likes things maybe a little too poised and pretty. So, is FC the guy to unleash her high octane power, increase her jump content that she will need to compete w/ Julia and Adelina and God knows who else from Russia?

vCash
    I love Gracie's bitchface! I loved how she walked right past Sotnikova
    LOL! She wears her bitchface like a wealthy woman wears Shalimar extrait. There was a backstage shot of Gracie and Ashley, and Gracie had on a defcon level 55 bitchface, while Ashley was cooling her bitchface down to defcon 50. Between the two, I was unsure if they were lacing their skates, or making a shiv out a toothbrush.

Gracie looked like she owned the place. Even with one fall, she skated amazingly well this whole competition. She was the one to watch, IMO.

Oh, and those carefully placed pageant smiles? They look so awesomely demented. If I were a skater, I'd be scared of Gracie. She may be kitted up like a Princess, but she's an intimidating figure, and I love it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by leesaleesa View Post
    Oh, and those carefully placed pageant smiles? They look so awesomely demented. If I were a skater, I'd be scared of Gracie. She may be kitted up like a Princess, but she's an intimidating figure, and I love it.
    You guys scare me.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by olympic View Post
    Gracie has more fortitude and willpower than Mirai did in 2010, and came to FC w/ good technique already so I'm optimistic
    If Gracie goes on and wins a medal at Worlds I could see your point. Mirai could have and missed her chance in 2010.

Good luck to Gracie, Ashley and Polina at Worlds. If enough of the truly great skaters sit it out they certainly have a chance to podium.

But they won't be going up against Yuna or Mao of the two 3A's - so hope they make the most of their chances.

I have a feeling that an angry little Julia, if healthy will win Worlds.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MrLucky View Post
    If Gracie goes on and wins a medal at Worlds I could see your point. Mirai could have and missed her chance in 2010.

Good luck to Gracie, Ashley and Polina at Worlds. If enough of the truly great skaters sit it out they certainly have a chance to podium.

But they won't be going up against Yuna or Mao of the two 3A's - so hope they make the most of their chances.

I have a feeling that an angry little Julia, if healthy will win Worlds.
    Regarding 2010 Worlds - Yu Na will not be there but everyone else will be, so theoretically everyone (except Adelina) would move up a spot. However, since they are in Japan, it's just as likely that Mao will slot onto the podium. Plus, Julia already had a bad skate and will likely be ready to fight for a podium spot. IMO, Gracie will have just as tough a time getting on the podium as she did at Sochi. One wild card factor is that Adelina and Julia's marks outside of Russia / Europe will probably not be as high. Ice is slippery.

I do think the US should hold onto 3 spots for 2015, though. Ashley and Polina are pretty solid.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by olympic View Post
    Regarding 2010 Worlds - Yu Na will not be there but everyone else will be, so theoretically everyone (except Adelina) would move up a spot. However, since they are in Japan, it's just as likely that Mao will slot onto the podium. Plus, Julia already had a bad skate and will likely be ready to fight for a podium spot. IMO, Gracie will have just as tough a time getting on the podium as she did at Sochi. One wild card factor is that Adelina and Julia's marks outside of Russia / Europe will probably not be as high. Ice is slippery.

I do think the US should hold onto 3 spots for 2015, though. Ashley and Polina are pretty solid.
    Don't forget Akiko too. I don't believe her when she says she won't skate at worlds. Yeah right. Sell me beachfront property in Arizona too. She will be there and she always skates well in Japan.

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast