Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BittyBug View Post
    God help her.
    Why? She did a fantastic job with Johnny Weir.

Quadless
    vCash
    Yes, Weir has certainly been quite successful. Whether that was because of or despite Modlin, I don't know.
    "I miss footwork that has any kind of a discernible pattern. The goal of a step sequence should not be for a skater to show the same ice coverage as a Zamboni and take about as much time as an ice resurface. " ~ Zemgirl, reflecting on a pre-IJS straight line sequence

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by UMBS Go Blue View Post
    Mitty, Polina's HS, held a rally for her today, with Brandi Chastain and Kerri Walsh among the speakers.

http://www.ktvu.com/news/news/local/...n-dream/nc8cS/
    Thanks for posting. I was reluctant to watch this at first because the word "rally" in your description of it made me think of those awful days from my high school career where we were brought into the gym and forced to scream, "WE'VE GOT SPIRIT, YES WE DO, WE'VE GOT SPIRIT, HOW ABOUT YOU?!?!?!?!?!"

This is nothing like that, both Brandi and Kerri's speeches were funny, articulate, and so genuine and sweet (but not too sappy IMO) that I literally had tears in my eyes after watching.

Quadless
    vCash
    Anyone know who will be accompanying her to Sochi as her official coach? I think they're limited to one - can anyone confirm?
    Answering my own question, based on this tweet pic it looks like David Glynn at the very least will be with Polina.

OT but didn't realize that the coaches get all that Olympics swag as well. Sweet!
    "I miss footwork that has any kind of a discernible pattern. The goal of a step sequence should not be for a skater to show the same ice coverage as a Zamboni and take about as much time as an ice resurface. " ~ Zemgirl, reflecting on a pre-IJS straight line sequence

vCash
    OT but didn't realize that the coaches get all that Olympics swag as well. Sweet!
    'swag'

vCash
    Here's hoping Polina will skate two clean programs!!!!!What would the judges do? She's just at the right age (historically) to win the gold!!!

vCash
    Answering my own question, based on this tweet pic it looks like David Glynn at the very least will be with Polina.

Love the pic. I am one of those who likes that over the top sweater-jacket and Polina pulls it off like a model.

I am expecting great things from her in Sochi. Huge talent, too young to know fear - a perfect Olympic situation. Go, Polina!

ETA: If Tara Modlin is her agent, will I get to see Polina in NJ? Tara M seems to be based around my area.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by demetriosj View Post
    Here's hoping Polina will skate two clean programs!!!!!What would the judges do? She's just at the right age (historically) to win the gold!!!
    She's an unknown skater coming into an event chock full of veterans and favorites. Two clean programs should definitely keep her in the top 10 but I can't see her getting higher than 6th or 7th; the field is just too deep this year. In order for her to win gold the event would have to be an unmitigated disaster with basically all of the top contenders falling to pieces.

The best thing Polina can do is have fun. If she turns in two good performances it will help when she goes to worlds next month. With so many of the top competitors retiring, a great showing at the Olympics should sway the judges to bypass some of the wait-your-turn-for-PCS withholding that most newbies are subjected to. Just look at Mirai's PCS from her SP to her FS in Vancouver, then look at her SP score from worlds...if she'd replicated her FS from Vancouver, she might have medaled if not won worlds that year. The judges gave her the green light but she couldn't deliver.

If Polina seizes this opportunity, she could set herself up very nicely for this next quad...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanatic View Post
    She's an unknown skater coming into an event chock full of veterans and favorites. Two clean programs should definitely keep her in the top 10 but I can't see her getting higher than 6th or 7th; the field is just too deep this year. In order for her to win gold the event would have to be an unmitigated disaster with basically all of the top contenders falling to pieces.

The best thing Polina can do is have fun. If she turns in two good performances it will help when she goes to worlds next month. With so many of the top competitors retiring, a great showing at the Olympics should sway the judges to bypass some of the wait-your-turn-for-PCS withholding that most newbies are subjected to. Just look at Mirai's PCS from her SP to her FS in Vancouver, then look at her SP score from worlds...if she'd replicated her FS from Vancouver, she might have medaled if not won worlds that year. The judges gave her the green light but she couldn't deliver.

If Polina seizes this opportunity, she could set herself up very nicely for this next quad...
    Yes, she could set herself up quite nicely!

Aren't both of her programs the most technically difficult, at least of the three American ladies?

vCash
    Was Polina in the opening ceremonies? I didn't see any pics of her there?

vCash
    Go Polina!!!! I have a thing for under-the-radar-skaters, and she is of much better technical and performance quality than both Russian girls, IMO. (That LP isn't a great vehicle though )

vCash
    She may not be in Russia yet? I'm not sure. The ladies singles event doesn't start till a little under two weeks, if you can believe it. It's not like she'd be getting practice ice right now as the other athletes have priority. Of course, the Shibs and C/B don't compete for 1 1/2 weeks as well, and they're in Russia. Not sure. Does anyone know if Polina has actually traveled yet?

ETA: Looks like she was in Germany as of yesterday.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Spareoom View Post
    She may not be in Russia yet? I'm not sure. The ladies singles event doesn't start till a little under two weeks, if you can believe it. It's not like she'd be getting practice ice right now as the other athletes have priority. Of course, the Shibs and C/B don't compete for 1 1/2 weeks as well, and they're in Russia. Not sure. Does anyone know if Polina has actually traveled yet?

ETA: Looks like she was in Germany as of yesterday.
    The Olympics are a once in a lifetime opportunity. Who knows where Polina will be in 4 years and with her Russian heritage, I think it would have been an amazing experience to march in the opening ceremonies. I really hope she did get to march with the rest of team USA.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanatic View Post
    Two clean programs should definitely keep her in the top 10 but I can't see her getting higher than 6th or 7th; the field is just too deep this year.
    If she skated two clean programs, she'd definitely be higher than that.

vCash
    Go Polina!! Any new Polina at the Olympics news?

vCash
    My understanding is that Gracie and Ashley will be meeting up with Polina in Austria. Frank Carroll will be staying in Sochi with Dennis Ten.

vCash
    Bummer that Polina didn't get to march in the opening ceremonies. I know she's serious about going for the gold, but still....
    "Marge, if you're going to get mad at me every time I do something stupid, then I guess I'm just going to have to stop doing stupid things!" - Homer Simpson in the Mr. Plow episode

vCash
    I wonder why she didn't come in for them. It wouldn't have cut her training much. Unless the fed. won't pay for multiple flights and she couldn't afford it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    I wonder why she didn't come in for them. It wouldn't have cut her training much. Unless the fed. won't pay for multiple flights and she couldn't afford it.
    I'm pretty sure that decision was left up to Polina and her team.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    I'm pretty sure that decision was left up to Polina and her team.
    I'm sure it was. It is always the athlete's choice. I just wonder why she chose not to come.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast