Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Congrats to Polina for making the Olympic team-I hope she has a fantastic time in Sochi.

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    She did well. I hope she makes the most of it.
    Last edited by bardtoob; 01-14-2014 at 03:54 AM.

vCash
    I think Polina is my favorite US lady. I hope she continues to improve and has a long and successful career.

[And as a mostly dance fan - I was delighted to see Marina Klimova again with her student.]

vCash
    Polina's mom is one of her coaches, right? Does anyone know why her mom wasn't sitting in the K&C with her instead of Marina K ?

Who's the guy coach sitting with her? He's hot, LOL.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    Who's the guy coach sitting with her? He's hot, LOL.
    Her primary coach, David Glynn.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tak View Post
    I think Polina is my favorite US lady. I hope she continues to improve and has a long and successful career.

[And as a mostly dance fan - I was delighted to see Marina Klimova again with her student.]
    Thanks, Tak, for mentioning the Klimova connection. Yet another reason to cheer for 'Team Polina' (and Team USA)! Polina's mom, Nina, is also a coach but David Glynn, as primary coach, sat in K'n'C, along with choreographer Marina. Frank Carroll is another coach - he works with Polina once a week, accoring to recent NYTimes profile.

By the way, I'm wondering if Polina has ever been to Russia or will this be her first trip? I know that her mom is from the city of Tver, north of Moscow. My husband (who grew up in USSR playing hockey) says that Polina's maternal grandpa was a noted ice-hockey player in the USSR.
    Dick Button Historical Quote of the Month: "Good for you, Lucinda Ruh!"

vCash
    Excerpt from Nancy Armour's article: http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...munds/4441501/
    Edmunds' mother, Nina, grew up in Russia, and her brother and uncle still live there. Though Edmunds hasn't been there since she was 2, and a decade since her mother went back, the family's roots are still firmly in Russia.

Edmunds doesn't speak Russian fluently, but she understands it because both her mother and grandmother speak to her in it.

"I fully understand what they're saying," she said. "Then I respond in English."
    Re-posting link to Polina Edmunds' photo/video montage chronicling skating highlights and fun times at the Junior/Senior Grand Prix Final in Fukuoka, Japan, with Team USA: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9cutTccxpA
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Should Polina wear makeup in Sochi? She wore none (or I could not see any) in Boston. Maybe her part-time coach Frank Carroll will take Polina to Gracie's make-up artist before the Olympics. (Make-up sure helped another Carroll student, Kwan, before the 1995/96 season!)

vCash
    She definitely had make-up on for her programs- you can clearly see eyeshadow and lipstick in both the sp and lp photos. Maybe she needs more dramatic make-up? For a 15 year old, I don't think she does. The programs don't seem to call for it. I thought she looked nice, and age appropriate, and program appropriate. (It didn't look like she had make up on for the team announcement- but why would she need it there? She's young and beautiful without it.)

vCash
    What Skittl1321 said. She looked just fine. Piss off with the beauty terror, seriously.

vCash
    I like Polina. She has so much potential! I hope puberty is kind to her because I really think she could be a serious threat for a medal in 2018. She has the jumps, the musicality and the programs to be a contender. Plus, she seems to be able to handle pressure pretty well (something missing from so many U.S. ladies).
    "If people are looking for guarantees, they should buy appliances at Sears and stay away from human relationships."~Prancer

vCash
    That's OK. I could barely see makeup; that's why I asked. I remember the dramatic change on Kwan when she became Salome at 15 or 16...most folks were delighted. I'm a big Polina fan, regardless. Hey, I started this thread.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Frau Muller View Post
    That's OK. I could barely see makeup; that's why I asked. I remember the dramatic change on Kwan when she became Salome at 15 or 16...most folks were delighted. I'm a big Polina fan, regardless. Hey, I started this thread.
    Salome is analogous with seduction. I'd expect a person to be well-made up to skate to that. Polina's music doesn't require her to look like that- her short is more 'fun' her long I don't really know how to characterize, it's kind of dramatic, but she looks angelic.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    Salome is analogous with seduction. I'd expect a person to be well-made up to skate to that. Polina's music doesn't require her to look like that- her short is more 'fun' her long I don't really know how to characterize, it's kind of dramatic, but she looks angelic.
    I agree about the LP - angelic. The SP is 'hot Latina,' though. Maybe that yellow dress gives her enough color, LOL!

vCash
    I agree about the LP - angelic. The SP is 'hot Latina,' though. Maybe that yellow dress gives her enough color, LOL!
    Maybe it's because she is so young, but I don't see "hot Latina"- I see "fun and dancey". If she was 19 with the same music, I'd expect a slightly different performance quality, and that I would expect to be hot.

vCash
    It's Latin - If ever there was a genre of music for which a lady piles-on the make-up that is it. Radionova is very young but see her make-up in her Latin FS, for example. Maybe just a little more color on Polina for the SP; not as much as Radionova.

vCash
    Radionova is very young but see her make-up in her Latin FS, for example.
    But Radionova looks ridiculous; though that is mostly her costume's fault.
    I'm glad Polina didn't fall into that trap of thinking she has to pile on the make-up.

(And to be fair to Radionova- she is not wearing much makeup in her FS. http://web.icenetwork.com/assets/ima...k_6acpwdmv.jpg it is actually quite similar to Edmunds: http://www.gannett-cdn.com/-mm-/f26e...s-Shor-002.jpg)

vCash
    Polina was absolutely delightful to watch at Nationals and has improved so much recently. I hope she continues to improve and do well.

vCash
    Yes, Polina's coach is fine!

vCash
    The only thing I'd like to see her improve is her hair. Just a tad more style would do.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast