View Poll Results: Which Russian Ladies skater has the best chance of winning the 2018 Olympic title?

Voters
82. You may not vote on this poll
  • Adelina Sotnikova

4 4.88%
  • Julia Lipnitskaya

21 25.61%
  • Elena Radionova

16 19.51%
  • Anna Pogorilaya

10 12.20%
  • Elizaveta Tuktamysheva

5 6.10%
  • Serafima Sakhanovich

6 7.32%
  • Evgenia Medvedeva

3 3.66%
  • Alexandra Proklova

3 3.66%
  • Maria Sotskova

6 7.32%
  • Polina Tsurskaya

2 2.44%
  • Elizaveta Iushenko

2 2.44%
  • Other

4 4.88%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

vCash

Which Russian Ladies skater has the best chance of winning the 2018 Olympic title?

Which Russian Ladies skater has the best chance of winning the 2018 Olympic title?

In no particular order, here are some videos of those featured in the poll:-

Adelina Sotnikova: 2014 Olympics - Free Program

Julia Lipnitskaya: 2014 European Championships - Free Program

Elena Radionova: 2014 Junior World Championships - Free Program

Anna Pogorilaya: 2014 World Championships - Free Program

Elizaveta Tuktamysheva: 2013 Skate America - Free Program

Serafima Sakhanovich: 2014 Russian Junior Championships - Free Program

Evgenia Medvedeva: 2013 JGP Baltic Cup - Free Program

Alexandra Proklova: 2013 JGP Czech Republic - Free Program

Maria Sotskova: 2013/14 JGPF - Free Program

Polina Tsurskaya: 2014 Russian Junior Nationals - Free Program

Elizaveta Iushenko (sometimes spelt: Yuschenko): 2014 Russian Junior Nationals - Free Program

vCash
    WAY too soon to tell. Ask this 4 years ago and everyone would be saying "ugh none of them, maybe Leonova will sneak top 5"

Things change fast in figure skating, and faster in Russian ladies skating.

Better question, who will survive puberty and who won't? It's a bit of a gamble. I'm worried for Lipnitskaia in particular.

vCash
    Sotnikova and Lipnitskaya are unlikely to even make it to the 2018 Olympics, let alone win. Sotnikova will probably be retired by then. Lipnitskaya will probably still be skating but struggling with her new body.

I would say either Radianova, Pogorilaya, or someone we havent even heard of and is thus not on the poll if I had to choose. However with the Olympics being in Korea, it is hugely unlikely a Russian lady will be allowed to win there regardless, even if they were to sweep the world titles from 2015-2018.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cbd1235 View Post
    WAY too soon to tell. Ask this 4 years ago and everyone would be saying "ugh none of them, maybe Leonova will sneak top 5"

Things change fast in figure skating, and faster in Russian ladies skating.
    That's not correct. Adelina Sotnikova won both the senior and junior 2009 Russian National titles (with Tuk 2nd in both, Leonova 5th in seniors). A lot was predicted of Sotnikova at the time, and ultimately those predictions came true

Quote Originally Posted by butyrskafanatic View Post
    However with the Olympics being in Korea, it is hugely unlikely a Russian lady will be allowed to win there regardless, even if they were to sweep the world titles from 2015-2018.
    Now that Kim has retired, Korea has nobody with any realistic prospects of contending for medals in figure skating at the 2018 Olympics. All this conspiracy speculation is completely baseless anyway, and without any substance. Hence, Russian skaters will have as good a chance as any come 2018 (with only 1 Korean Judge at most on any panel). Moreover, all the post Olympic fuss did not prevent Lipnitskaya deservedly finishing 2nd at Worlds.

It is also worth adding that the Korean Fed has hardly endeared itself to the ISU and judges from other countries with its baseless protests. Hence, I hardly think the the judging panels come 2018 will be pro-Korean (i.e set up to punish Russian skaters). Furthermore, the Korean Fed made its protest on the basis that it "wanted to ensure fair judging for the future" (not that there was a problem in the first place). Hence, if that turned out not to be the case at the 2018 Olympics and there was some attempt to under-mark Russian skaters, then that is hardly going to look good for the Korean Fed.

All in all, therefore, I think it highly unlikely that there will be any attempt to "punish" Russian skaters come 2018

Lipnitskaya will probably still be skating but struggling with her new body
    Lipnitskaya has grown a considerable amount over the last couple of years. Her struggles with puberty came last season (2012/13), but she came surging back this season 2013/14). Whilst she might have a little more growing to do, I don't see it affecting her that much. Her personality is such that she is renowned for her determination and tenacity to succeed, whatever the challenges placed in front of her. Hence, it's highly likely that she will be one of the main contenders come 2018.

Sotnikova will probably be retired by then.
    Sotnikova has already confirmed that she wants to continue for another quad and "win all the gold that there is." As Olympic success is highly valued in Russia, Russian skaters, like Russian Gymnasts, have a tendency to compete in several Olympics (regardless of whether they win Gold early on - e.g. Alexei Urmanov, Artur Dmitriev, Irina Rodnina, Grishuk & Platov, Plushenko, Gordeeva & Grinkov (some after a break), etc). Like Slutskaya, Sotnikova may even look to compete in 3 Olympics.
    Last edited by Maofan7; 04-02-2014 at 09:18 AM.

vCash
    It's way to early to tell. There are simply too many consistent Russian wonder babies at the moment with 3-3s. I don't understand where all of them are coming from, but Russia is churning them out like crazy. I highly doubt Adelina will be in contention in Pyeongchang. These Sochi Olympics marred her reputation considerably in Korea, and I'm pretty sure the Korean NOC and skating union will do anything in its power to make sure Adelina along with the rest of the Russian babies are off the podium in Pyeongchang.

On another note, I think Lipnitskaia got silver because she was worthy of it even if she was propped up on PCS. None of the other women skated well enough to merit it, except maybe Pogo, Ashley, and Akiko (the latter two were also hosed score wise, I thought).

vCash
    It is hard to say. I dont see either Sotnikova or Lipnitskaya being a factor by then, although Lipnitskaya is the more likely of the two to be around or even contending. Of that list it would be one of the girls who was at juniors worlds this year, Radianova or Anna P. but who knows if it will even be someone on that list at all. 4 years tends to bring new people that had not been heard of before.

vCash
    I think Lipnitskaya's body has done a lot of the puberty changes. If you look at her vs. say Radionova, Julia already has some curves to her body, Radionova has none. I think if Julia wants to continue, she'll make it work. Sotnikova's I think will come down to motivation after she doesn't win for the first time after the Olympics - i.e., can she handle that and want to keep coming. None of the others have even started puberty. Radionova has great jumps and really poor skating skills so it's going to come down to can she keep those jumps through puberty.

vCash
    Pigs would fly before Sotnikova is ever allowed to win the next Olympics in Korea. I cant believe she would even have the courage to set foot in Korea after the fallout of her Olympic win. If she does just that part she is already a much stronger character and thicker skinned than I imagine her to be.

vCash
    Now that Kim has retired, Korea has nobody with any realistic prospects of contending for medals in figure skating at the 2018 Olympics. All this conspiracy speculation is completely baseless anyway, and without any substance. Hence, Russian skaters will have as good a chance as any come 2018 (with only 1 Korean Judge at most on any panel). Moreover, all the post Olympic fuss did not prevent Lipnitskaya deservedly finishing 2nd at Worlds.
    So Youn Park may be a likely contender, depending on how she progresses within the next 3 years. She was impressive at Worlds.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by zoe111 View Post
    Radionova has great jumps and really poor skating skills so it's going to come down to can she keep those jumps through puberty.
    Radionova doesn't have poor skating skills. Her skating skills are already better than Lipnitskaya's

vCash
    I went with other. The current seemingly endless stream of young talent makes me expect the "unexpected" talent to emerge at the Junior level during the 2015 and 2016 seasons,… break through with a startling senior debut in 2017, then capture one of the top spots in 2018,… only to possibly see puberty or politics or something else crazy see her hit a sharp apex from which they would be no recovery, as the next WAVE of talent comes crashing through the gates on the road to 2022…

vCash
    If we are not counting Lipnitskaia because of her jumps, we should write off Radionova too. Her jumps are small, maybe even smaller than Lipnitskaia.

I voted Pogorilaya. She has grown body and she still has jumps. She needs to work with 2A, had to change her jump layout for more 0.1 bonus and work with better spin positions. She has fast and mostly centered spins but her positions are ugly.

vCash
    Adelina has the best chance to win back to back OGM's since Yuna who was derailed this season by her injury.
    Before that it was Kristi who could have defended her OGM only two years later due to the change in schedules.

It is hard to predict but if I had to bet I would pick Adelina who can still get even better and will only be 21 at the next Olympics.

If she adds the 4T and grows artistically her best skate would be untouchable, even by a returning Yuna on home ice.

vCash
    Other than Radianova and Lipnitskaya I wouldnt give anyone on that poll more than 5% chance of winning the next Olympics. "Other" is probably the best option. Sotnikova I would give a 0.01% chance to defend her title all things considered.

vCash
    I voted Sotnikova. Never would have guessed it this time and she won... why not again?

My FAVOURITE wasn't on the list. Alena Leonova all the way!

vCash
    Tuktamysheva looked like a future world champion just 2 seasons ago. Where is she now?

That is not due to lack of talent or hard work either. Her body has changed and it's been really tough on her skating.

Also those who say that Julia will no longer have any growing woes are very wrong, flat out. Her biggest struggles are ahead of her, she is only partially matured (just clock her growth to a biological model of puberty). I also know from coaching girls that they grow in 2 "phases" as I would call it, and it's the second one that brings the hips and fuller figure. Julia very much appears to be between the two "phases" from what I see. I hope she gets through it, but she doesn't have the fantastic jumping technique buffer that Sotnikova had.

Time will tell, she could very well be a Sasha Cohen anomaly. Sasha also didn't eat which kept her figure the way it was.

vCash
    I think Julia, although maybe Anna will have a chance, too. Serafima also impressed me at Junior Worlds, but I don't think she'll be ready for an Olympic title until maybe 2022.

vCash
    In revenge for what happened to Kim at Sochi, I think something will be done and the judges at the Pyeongchang Olympics will mark the Russian ladies so low that they will miss out the gold to Park So Youn no matter how well they skate.

vCash
    Medvedeva is the only one whom I will put money on.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    In revenge for what happened to Kim at Sochi, I think something will be done and the judges at the Pyeongchang Olympics will mark the Russian ladies so low that they will miss out the gold to Park So Youn no matter how well they skate.

I very likely scenario. Now the pressure will be on Park to make it happen, and an American lady might sneak in.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast