Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nikjil View Post
    I am finding incredible amusement in watching both the USFSA and Russian Federation squirm around because they failed to establish clear criterion for choosing the Olympic team and now are stuck with it. I think Piseev and St. Peters should get together in Sochi and get really drunk and commiserate.

Having said that, I have a certain amount of sympathy because of the tremendous pressure after the last Olympics to make sure the home team does well in Sochi. While I think Piseev deserves some blame for mishandling the skaters, the Russian men certainly haven't proved themselves as likely medal threats over the last 4 years. I am not a Plushy fan at all but based upon the last Olympic, he was certainly a viable option. Having said that, I think the Russian Federation should have met with him and clearly stated that if he wanted to skate in the Olympics there were certain expectations regarding competing in international events over the last 4 years and placements at those events. If injury prevented him from fulfilling those expectations, then they should either have told him before Nationals that he had to win to get the Olympic spot or that he was required to compete in Europeans and place ahead of whoever won Nationals. Then the criteria would be clear and there wouldn't be space for all this "demanding" in arguing selection in the press.
    LOL. When I read Piseev and St. Peters, I thought 'Saint Petersburg' but I realized you meant the St. Peters of the USFSA. I know these high officials need some sympathy but almost never get it. They can get credit only if their team does very well. IMO Russia is under a lot more pressure because they really don't have any high level (OGM worthy) skaters in any discipline other than pairs.

They have a couple of long shots for the bronze in ice dance and ladies. They might as well forget about men. Had they sent the right skater to worlds last year, they may have had two spots to play with- not that it would have increased their medal chances, except in the team competition. ITA that the RSF should have had a frank conversation with Plushenko early in the season to define their expectations clearly. It seems they just assumed that he would win the nationals and there won't be an argument and if he cannot skate due to injuries, they could just send whoever they feel is the strongest (obviously Kovtun, with a strong political push, unless he had a total meltdown).

It seems both feds had some surprises at their nationals- USA in ladies and RSF in men- and were thrown off balance, having to make decisions that cannot be popular with a large number of folks. However, they are the only ones that deserve the blame for that. Hence, no sympathy from me. Just learn from your mistakes- but do they ever?

Banned Member
    vCash
    If Kovtun does not win Europeans, or if he does poorly, he needs to bite the bullet for Mother Russia and let Sochi have Russia's greatesr STAR perform. He needs to step aside for the Emperor.

Until he is dead, Plushenko is the Emperor of Russian figure skating. Kovtun is a snot nosed toddler just learning to use the toilet in comparison. He still has milk teeth and doesn't need to shave. A boy. Send him to worlds, but leave the big show to the STAR.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    LOL. When I read Piseev and St. Peters, I thought 'Saint Petersburg' but I realized you meant the St. Peters of the USFSA. I know these high officials need some sympathy but almost never get it. They can get credit only if their team does very well. IMO Russia is under a lot more pressure because they really don't have any high level (OGM worthy) skaters in any discipline other than pairs.

They have a couple of long shots for the bronze in ice dance and ladies. They might as well forget about men. Had they sent the right skater to worlds last year, they may have had two spots to play with- not that it would have increased their medal chances, except in the team competition. ITA that the RSF should have had a frank conversation with Plushenko early in the season to define their expectations clearly. It seems they just assumed that he would win the nationals and there won't be an argument and if he cannot skate due to injuries, they could just send whoever they feel is the strongest (obviously Kovtun, with a strong political push, unless he had a total meltdown).

It seems both feds had some surprises at their nationals- USA in ladies and RSF in men- and were thrown off balance, having to make decisions that cannot be popular with a large number of folks. However, they are the only ones that deserve the blame for that. Hence, no sympathy from me. Just learn from your mistakes- but do they ever?
    I'm frankly failing to see how it should be so shocking for Plushenko to imagine that if another Russian man did well this year, and won Nationals, his fed might consider the other guy.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456