Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 103
  1. #81

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Two places! Atlanta suburbs and in the North Georgia Mountains
    Posts
    3,814
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    2089
    Quote Originally Posted by AragornElessar View Post
    Great...now I have to go and bleach my brain to get that mental image out of it...*shivers*
    Me too. Fortunately, there is a fast forward button on my control unit. I can happily skip through anything remotely having to do with Plushenko. Might watch him skate IF he skates, and I bet he will be skating. Poor Kovtun!

  2. #82
    Left in the Kiss-n-Cry
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    near St Louis
    Posts
    16,051
    vCash
    24000
    Rep Power
    37422
    Quote Originally Posted by ItalianFan
    If Plushenko competes he will intimidate the others even if rationally the Chans of this world know that they are technically superior to a 31 yr old, it will undoubtedly make them nervous. And this is all to Plushenko's advantagel.
    Kovtun didn't seem too intimidated at Russian nationals, so I don't know why other contenders at the Olympics would be. Besides, if the Russian Fed had scored Plushy correctly after that horrible free skate and not propped him up on the PCS to stay in the second spot, I think a lot of this would be a mute issue.
    I meant to take the high road.... but I missed the exit.

  3. #83
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    263
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Plushenko demands? He seems to be full of himself. A snob who thinks he is a king. I hope that if he goes to the Olympics, he messes up big time.

  4. #84

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Quadland
    Posts
    6,268
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    3052
    Quote Originally Posted by peibeck View Post
    Kovtun didn't seem too intimidated at Russian nationals, so I don't know why other contenders at the Olympics would be. Besides, if the Russian Fed had scored Plushy correctly after that horrible free skate and not propped him up on the PCS to stay in the second spot, I think a lot of this would be a mute issue.
    the judges propped up kovtun too. Kovtun's pcs scores were not right either. Kovtun was massively inflated so as to not have plushenko win.

  5. #85

    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    My old Kentucky home, far away
    Age
    37
    Posts
    4,429
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    5515
    Quote Originally Posted by caseyedwards View Post
    the judges propped up kovtun too. Kovtun's pcs scores were not right either. Kovtun was massively inflated so as to not have plushenko win.

    WTF????? No, Plushenko was the one with the major inflation, 95 PCS for him is the biggest joke ever. The judges tried to hold him up, but in the end it was not enough.
    'Life's hard. It's even harder when you're stupid.'--John Wayne

  6. #86

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Quadland
    Posts
    6,268
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    3052
    Quote Originally Posted by ChelleC View Post
    WTF????? No, Plushenko was the one with the major inflation, 95 PCS for him is the biggest joke ever. The judges tried to hold him up, but in the end it was not enough.
    I am sure kovtun will be getting 90 in pcs at euros. Lol.

  7. #87

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    5,256
    vCash
    289
    Rep Power
    40472
    Quote Originally Posted by ChelleC View Post
    WTF????? No, Plushenko was the one with the major inflation, 95 PCS for him is the biggest joke ever. The judges tried to hold him up, but in the end it was not enough.
    Ummmmm...they were both heavily inflated, but Kovtun's inflation was way worse.

  8. #88
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Two-foot skating = BAD
    Posts
    20,458
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by caseyedwards View Post
    I am sure kovtun will be getting 90 in pcs at euros. Lol.
    And Plushenko wouldn't/won't be getting 95s either. Especially if he skated as poorly as he did in the FS, jump-wise. The marks at Russian Nationals were very inflated, in general.

  9. #89

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Quadland
    Posts
    6,268
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    3052
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    And Plushenko wouldn't/won't be getting 95s either. Especially if he skated as poorly as he did in the FS, jump-wise. The marks at Russian Nationals were very inflated, in general.
    Of course not! He'd be lucky to be in the 70's. But the idea that the judges were using pcs to help him win when they gave kovtun about 90 to plushenkos 95 just doesn't make sense. I'm sure all the judges knew that because of all plushenkos problems kovtun would have a huge Tes advantage then almost tying them in pcs worked soley to kovtuns advantage.

  10. #90

    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Mountaintop, Pennsylvania
    Age
    47
    Posts
    323
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    353
    I am finding incredible amusement in watching both the USFSA and Russian Federation squirm around because they failed to establish clear criterion for choosing the Olympic team and now are stuck with it. I think Piseev and St. Peters should get together in Sochi and get really drunk and commiserate.

    Having said that, I have a certain amount of sympathy because of the tremendous pressure after the last Olympics to make sure the home team does well in Sochi. While I think Piseev deserves some blame for mishandling the skaters, the Russian men certainly haven't proved themselves as likely medal threats over the last 4 years. I am not a Plushy fan at all but based upon the last Olympic, he was certainly a viable option. Having said that, I think the Russian Federation should have met with him and clearly stated that if he wanted to skate in the Olympics there were certain expectations regarding competing in international events over the last 4 years and placements at those events. If injury prevented him from fulfilling those expectations, then they should either have told him before Nationals that he had to win to get the Olympic spot or that he was required to compete in Europeans and place ahead of whoever won Nationals. Then the criteria would be clear and there wouldn't be space for all this "demanding" in arguing selection in the press.

  11. #91
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    1,677
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I would wait until Euros to even think about this.What i read between the lines is that Pluchenko isn't demanding anything but Russian Federation almost make up their minds to send him in Sochi and playing "rather be safe than sorry" card. Maybe he is mentally more stable than Kovtun in competitions and has double experience in years but compare to 2010 now he seems to have less changes of being among the winners. Let's wait and see

  12. #92
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Havering-atte-Bower
    Posts
    3,481
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by nikjil View Post
    I am finding incredible amusement in watching both the USFSA and Russian Federation squirm around because they failed to establish clear criterion for choosing the Olympic team and now are stuck with it. I think Piseev and St. Peters should get together in Sochi and get really drunk and commiserate.
    According to , the USFSA just translated the Russian "guidelines" into English and replaced the term "Europeans" with "Four Continents" wherever they found it in the document.

  13. #93

    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Posts
    7,595
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    1913
    Blah, Olympic spots are turning into lifetime achievement awards. Might was well follow the trend and send Plushenko. If anyone's "body of work" deserves the trip it's him.

  14. #94
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Moscow, Russia
    Age
    34
    Posts
    558
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayra View Post
    Blah, Olympic spots are turning into lifetime achievement awards. Might was well follow the trend and send Plushenko. If anyone's "body of work" deserves the trip it's him.
    If we go with body of work surely Kovtun would be on the team because he's skated in competitions and medaled this season?

  15. #95

    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    I Want to Go to There
    Posts
    9,801
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    35599
    Quote Originally Posted by darya_russian View Post
    If we go with body of work surely Kovtun would be on the team because he's skated in competitions and medaled this season?
    Oh yes, but as we now know, skating in competitions and medaling this season may not be good enough…see Mirai Nagasu (who may have gotten an Olympic spot taken away and have it be given to another) or Denney/Coughlin (who may have failed to take an Olympic spot over another, less internationally-successful pair). It really depends on…well, nobody really knows. We all just hypothesize.
    Last edited by VIETgrlTerifa; 01-14-2014 at 04:12 PM.
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

  16. #96
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Montreal
    Age
    36
    Posts
    2,201
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I have learned a new cliché this week: body of work!

  17. #97
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Havering-atte-Bower
    Posts
    3,481
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    The term "piece of work" has been coming to mind a lot lately.

  18. #98
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Moscow, Russia
    Age
    34
    Posts
    558
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by VIETgrlTerifa View Post
    Oh yes, but as we now know, skating in competitions and medaling this season may not be good enough…see Mirai Nagasu (who may have gotten an Olympic spot taken away and have it be given to another) or Denney/Coughlin (who may have failed to take an Olympic spot over another, less internationally-successful pair). It really depends on…well, nobody really knows. We all just hypothesize.
    Well, Nagasu was left off the team for the only US skater who medalled in every international competition this season and is the reigning 4CC champion and GPF bronze medalist, so yes, body of work counted in this case too.
    I'm not following US pairs so I can't comment on D/C, but I don't remember them having major international success.
    Kovtun this season medalled in GP event and made the GPF, and also won Nationals, while Plushenko did - what exactly?

  19. #99
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    11,012
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by darya_russian View Post
    while Plushenko did - what exactly?
    Well, if you use the US selection criteria, he won nationals last year.

    But the 'body of work' considered by the US; if we assume Russia does the same- Kovtun should get the spot.

  20. #100
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    1,940
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Plushenko News_Eng ‏@PlushenkoNews 1h

    78% of Russian's plan to follow the #Sochi2014, "Face the Sochi Olympics" - Plushenko 9%, Zaitseva 4%, Ovechkin 3%... http://translate.google.com/translat...-item%2F675421

    78% of Russia's plan to follow the Winter Olympics in Sochi.

    All-Russian Public Opinion Research Center conducted a study which found that 78% of the population will be watching the Olympics. While 54% of respondents are going to watch the Games on television, 22% would be interested in the news, and 2% going directly to support the team in the stadiums during the competition.

    The most popular sports among the population are traditionally Russian subjects: hockey, biathlon, figure skating. It is in these sports team representatives most recognizable: as a "person of the Sochi Olympics" interviewed called E. Plushenko, O. Zaitsev, A. Ovechkin, A. and E. Malkin Shipulina. These are athletes and leaders in the number of personal fans of Russians surveyed: a substantial margin leads E. Plushenko - 9%, then O. Zaitsev - 4%. Option "sick of all for Russia" also scored 4%, slightly less popular among the population SHIPULIN A. and A. Ovechkin (3%).

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •