Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Two places! Atlanta suburbs and in the North Georgia Mountains
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AragornElessar View Post
    Great...now I have to go and bleach my brain to get that mental image out of it...*shivers*
    Me too. Fortunately, there is a fast forward button on my control unit. I can happily skip through anything remotely having to do with Plushenko. Might watch him skate IF he skates, and I bet he will be skating. Poor Kovtun!

Left in the Kiss-n-Cry
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ItalianFan
    If Plushenko competes he will intimidate the others even if rationally the Chans of this world know that they are technically superior to a 31 yr old, it will undoubtedly make them nervous. And this is all to Plushenko's advantagel.
    Kovtun didn't seem too intimidated at Russian nationals, so I don't know why other contenders at the Olympics would be. Besides, if the Russian Fed had scored Plushy correctly after that horrible free skate and not propped him up on the PCS to stay in the second spot, I think a lot of this would be a mute issue.
    I meant to take the high road.... but I missed the exit.

vCash
    Plushenko demands? He seems to be full of himself. A snob who thinks he is a king. I hope that if he goes to the Olympics, he messes up big time.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by peibeck View Post
    Kovtun didn't seem too intimidated at Russian nationals, so I don't know why other contenders at the Olympics would be. Besides, if the Russian Fed had scored Plushy correctly after that horrible free skate and not propped him up on the PCS to stay in the second spot, I think a lot of this would be a mute issue.
    the judges propped up kovtun too. Kovtun's pcs scores were not right either. Kovtun was massively inflated so as to not have plushenko win.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by caseyedwards View Post
    the judges propped up kovtun too. Kovtun's pcs scores were not right either. Kovtun was massively inflated so as to not have plushenko win.

WTF????? No, Plushenko was the one with the major inflation, 95 PCS for him is the biggest joke ever. The judges tried to hold him up, but in the end it was not enough.
    'Life's hard. It's even harder when you're stupid.'--John Wayne

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ChelleC View Post
    WTF????? No, Plushenko was the one with the major inflation, 95 PCS for him is the biggest joke ever. The judges tried to hold him up, but in the end it was not enough.
    I am sure kovtun will be getting 90 in pcs at euros. Lol.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ChelleC View Post
    Ummmmm...they were both heavily inflated, but Kovtun's inflation was way worse.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by caseyedwards View Post
    I am sure kovtun will be getting 90 in pcs at euros. Lol.
    And Plushenko wouldn't/won't be getting 95s either. Especially if he skated as poorly as he did in the FS, jump-wise. The marks at Russian Nationals were very inflated, in general.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    And Plushenko wouldn't/won't be getting 95s either. Especially if he skated as poorly as he did in the FS, jump-wise. The marks at Russian Nationals were very inflated, in general.
    Of course not! He'd be lucky to be in the 70's. But the idea that the judges were using pcs to help him win when they gave kovtun about 90 to plushenkos 95 just doesn't make sense. I'm sure all the judges knew that because of all plushenkos problems kovtun would have a huge Tes advantage then almost tying them in pcs worked soley to kovtuns advantage.

vCash
    I am finding incredible amusement in watching both the USFSA and Russian Federation squirm around because they failed to establish clear criterion for choosing the Olympic team and now are stuck with it. I think Piseev and St. Peters should get together in Sochi and get really drunk and commiserate.

Having said that, I have a certain amount of sympathy because of the tremendous pressure after the last Olympics to make sure the home team does well in Sochi. While I think Piseev deserves some blame for mishandling the skaters, the Russian men certainly haven't proved themselves as likely medal threats over the last 4 years. I am not a Plushy fan at all but based upon the last Olympic, he was certainly a viable option. Having said that, I think the Russian Federation should have met with him and clearly stated that if he wanted to skate in the Olympics there were certain expectations regarding competing in international events over the last 4 years and placements at those events. If injury prevented him from fulfilling those expectations, then they should either have told him before Nationals that he had to win to get the Olympic spot or that he was required to compete in Europeans and place ahead of whoever won Nationals. Then the criteria would be clear and there wouldn't be space for all this "demanding" in arguing selection in the press.

vCash
    I would wait until Euros to even think about this.What i read between the lines is that Pluchenko isn't demanding anything but Russian Federation almost make up their minds to send him in Sochi and playing "rather be safe than sorry" card. Maybe he is mentally more stable than Kovtun in competitions and has double experience in years but compare to 2010 now he seems to have less changes of being among the winners. Let's wait and see

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nikjil View Post
    I am finding incredible amusement in watching both the USFSA and Russian Federation squirm around because they failed to establish clear criterion for choosing the Olympic team and now are stuck with it. I think Piseev and St. Peters should get together in Sochi and get really drunk and commiserate.
    According to , the USFSA just translated the Russian "guidelines" into English and replaced the term "Europeans" with "Four Continents" wherever they found it in the document.

vCash
    Blah, Olympic spots are turning into lifetime achievement awards. Might was well follow the trend and send Plushenko. If anyone's "body of work" deserves the trip it's him.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayra View Post
    Blah, Olympic spots are turning into lifetime achievement awards. Might was well follow the trend and send Plushenko. If anyone's "body of work" deserves the trip it's him.
    If we go with body of work surely Kovtun would be on the team because he's skated in competitions and medaled this season?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by darya_russian View Post
    If we go with body of work surely Kovtun would be on the team because he's skated in competitions and medaled this season?
    Oh yes, but as we now know, skating in competitions and medaling this season may not be good enough…see Mirai Nagasu (who may have gotten an Olympic spot taken away and have it be given to another) or Denney/Coughlin (who may have failed to take an Olympic spot over another, less internationally-successful pair). It really depends on…well, nobody really knows. We all just hypothesize.
    Last edited by VIETgrlTerifa; 01-14-2014 at 04:12 PM.
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

vCash
    I have learned a new cliché this week: body of work!

vCash
    The term "piece of work" has been coming to mind a lot lately.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VIETgrlTerifa View Post
    Oh yes, but as we now know, skating in competitions and medaling this season may not be good enough…see Mirai Nagasu (who may have gotten an Olympic spot taken away and have it be given to another) or Denney/Coughlin (who may have failed to take an Olympic spot over another, less internationally-successful pair). It really depends on…well, nobody really knows. We all just hypothesize.
    Well, Nagasu was left off the team for the only US skater who medalled in every international competition this season and is the reigning 4CC champion and GPF bronze medalist, so yes, body of work counted in this case too.
    I'm not following US pairs so I can't comment on D/C, but I don't remember them having major international success.
    Kovtun this season medalled in GP event and made the GPF, and also won Nationals, while Plushenko did - what exactly?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by darya_russian View Post
    while Plushenko did - what exactly?
    Well, if you use the US selection criteria, he won nationals last year.

But the 'body of work' considered by the US; if we assume Russia does the same- Kovtun should get the spot.

vCash
    Plushenko News_Eng ‏@PlushenkoNews 1h

78% of Russian's plan to follow the #Sochi2014, "Face the Sochi Olympics" - Plushenko 9%, Zaitseva 4%, Ovechkin 3%... http://translate.google.com/translat...-item%2F675421

78% of Russia's plan to follow the Winter Olympics in Sochi.

All-Russian Public Opinion Research Center conducted a study which found that 78% of the population will be watching the Olympics. While 54% of respondents are going to watch the Games on television, 22% would be interested in the news, and 2% going directly to support the team in the stadiums during the competition.

The most popular sports among the population are traditionally Russian subjects: hockey, biathlon, figure skating. It is in these sports team representatives most recognizable: as a "person of the Sochi Olympics" interviewed called E. Plushenko, O. Zaitsev, A. Ovechkin, A. and E. Malkin Shipulina. These are athletes and leaders in the number of personal fans of Russians surveyed: a substantial margin leads E. Plushenko - 9%, then O. Zaitsev - 4%. Option "sick of all for Russia" also scored 4%, slightly less popular among the population SHIPULIN A. and A. Ovechkin (3%).

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast