Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

vCash
    Isn't it required that only skaters who qualify for the individual event can participate in the team event?

Plush's statement could be a response to that issue. He can't plan to skate in the team event but not the individual event. That, he can't state this plan. It's been speculated that he would withdraw due to injury after skating in the team event, but he may have overstepped himself in stating his intention to do just the one event. In which case he'd be back-pedaling. Though still able to withdraw due to injury after the team event, providing the injury appears genuine.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    So being a 'saving grace' is now a requirement for making the Olympic ).
    It appears that Yes, As far as Russia's concerned It is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Japanfan View Post
    Isn't it required that only skaters who qualify for the individual event can participate in the team event?

Plush's statement could be a response to that issue. He can't plan to skate in the team event but not the individual event. That, he can't state this plan. It's been speculated that he would withdraw due to injury after skating in the team event, but he may have overstepped himself in stating his intention to do just the one event. In which case he'd be back-pedaling. Though still able to withdraw due to injury after the team event, providing the injury appears genuine.
    He stated the intention to just do the team event while under the belief that Russia could send two separate skaters. It was also an answer to a question from a journalist that DIRECTLY asked him to choose between team and individual.

vCash
    Is there a Gillooly in Russia? JUST KIDDING!

In a sick way, we know that we WANT Plush to skate in Sochi, to see his escapades and hear his vomitorium mouth. You know it - admit it! I & many others may prefer Kovtun's skating at this point in time but the thought of having Plush in one more Olympics is delicious. If anything, you KNOW that he will be lighting the torch at opening ceremonies. You know it! I'll bet 100 Rubles on that. Heck, he may even emerge from the torch, then light it...while Marton fiddles, next to the torch.
    Dick Button Historical Quote of the Month: "Good for you, Lucinda Ruh!"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Frau Muller View Post
    Heck, he may even emerge from the torch, then light it...while Marton fiddles, next to the torch.
    Pretending to play violin and looking very DRAMATIK. I can totally picture that in my head.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by misskarne View Post
    He hasn't DEMANDED anything. But he is right. Kovtun hasn't shown anything to convince us that under pressure - under Olympic pressure - he will be any good.

But of course this is FSU so Plushy is the evil devil and everything he does and says is wrong, evil and arrogant.
    Fantastic point of view...
    I guess that a lot of Olympic medalists didn't show anything to convince us that under Olympic pressure they would be any good, before going to the Olympics !

In the place 4 hours due East of where George Spiteri has his workshop
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AliasJohnDoe View Post
    He needs to get his ass to Euros first.
    agreed

vCash
    I would rather Kovtun go, but I think we sometimes forget plushy's iron will...if he gets the chance to do the men's event, then he will go out there and give the world two great skates, even if he has to go straight to surgery afterwards. He didn't have to skate well at Russian nationals because I think he was saving his knees and back for the olympics. I'm not a huge fan of his skating, but I admire his amazing consistency and ability to manage his nerves. He is the best competitor I have ever seen in men's figure skating. I think he will go out on olympic ice and perform at least a 4-3, and as many other quads as is needed to make a legitimate threat for the gold medal.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiery View Post
    I would rather Kovtun go, but I think we sometimes forget plushy's iron will...if he gets the chance to do the men's event, then he will go out there and give the world two great skates, even if he has to go straight to surgery afterwards. He didn't have to skate well at Russian nationals because I think he was saving his knees and back for the olympics. I'm not a huge fan of his skating, but I admire his amazing consistency and ability to manage his nerves. He is the best competitor I have ever seen in men's figure skating. I think he will go out on olympic ice and perform at least a 4-3, and as many other quads as is needed to make a legitimate threat for the gold medal.
    Plushenko cant reach on the ice and push Chan and Hanyu on their butts off the landing of a jump 5 times and that is the only way he could come anywhere near a gold medal, even if he produced the miracle never going to happen skate you are imagining he could do at this point. His transitions, spins, and overall skating simply arent up to snuff at this point, not even his jump quality is anymore. In 2010 he landed his quads and lost to a quadless Lysacek of all people, and now he is older, weaker, and there are guys today with twice the talent or skating level Evan ever had.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    So being a 'saving grace' is now a requirement for making the Olympic team?

Kovtun won Russian Nationals fair and square and he actually competed this season (at more than one international competition).
    Yeah anyone who thinks Plushenko is by contrast a saving grace for the Russians at the Games is completely delusional at this point. He has as much chance at a bronze medal as Tonya Harding post clubbing had at Lillehammer, and he would be more likely to have a truly disaesterous result or not even finish the competition than Kovtun at this point.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    Plushenko cant reach on the ice and push Chan and Hanyu on their butts off the landing of a jump 5 times and that is the only way he could come anywhere near a gold medal, even if he produced the miracle never going to happen skate you are imagining he could do at this point. His transitions, spins, and overall skating simply arent up to snuff at this point, not even his jump quality is anymore. In 2010 he landed his quads and lost to a quadless Lysacek of all people, and now he is older, weaker, and there are guys today with twice the talent or skating level Evan ever had.
    All true but who has the iron will like Plushenko? No one. I am not saying he will win, but he can push these guys to their limits. Don't forget that Evan had to skate his best to eek out that win in 2010, and Evan is probably the only one with that kind of will (but he is not competing).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    All true but who has the iron will like Plushenko? No one. I am not saying he will win, but he can push these guys to their limits. Don't forget that Evan had to skate his best to eek out that win in 2010, and Evan is probably the only one with that kind of will (but he is not competing).
    I agree. If Plushenko competes he will intimidate the others even if rationally the Chans of this world know that they are technically superior to a 31 yr old, it will undoubtedly make them nervous. And this is all to Plushenko's advantage. Plus favorites come and go, even Kurt B did not win the olympics and there is certainly no guarantee that Chan will.

vCash
    Why would a journalist ask Plushenko if he would prefer team or individual event to choose? Their journalists must be as drama as their athletes..

Banned Member
    vCash
    Well, Plushenko is an arrogant champion, nearly twice Kovtun's age, who has a quad toe loop, 3axel and all the triples and nerves of steel and unmatched determination.

Kovtun is a skating fetus compared to Plushenko. Not a junior, toddler or even infant. The RSF must consider this.....

vCash

In a sick way, we know that we WANT Plush to skate in Sochi, to see his escapades and hear his vomitorium mouth. You know it - admit it! I & many others may prefer Kovtun's skating at this point in time but the thought of having Plush in one more Olympics is delicious. If anything, you KNOW that he will be lighting the torch at opening ceremonies. You know it! I'll bet 100 Rubles on that. Heck, he may even emerge from the torch, then light it...while Marton fiddles, next to the torch.
    I know I do. Anyway, Kovtun must wait until Plush says he's ready . Since Plush is bionic, that could be decades.

ridin my horse named Bob
    vCash
    Oh, man!!! Can you just see that??! Plush, arising from the torch, all aglow and alight, the phoenix from the flame! What a fricking FANTASIC idea!!! Yeah baby!! Wheeeeee! :-D
    PLUSHENKO YOU ARE ALWAYS THE BEST

Watch me move
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by senorita View Post
    Why would a journalist ask Plushenko if he would prefer team or individual event to choose? Their journalists must be as drama as their athletes..
    That's not the question that was asked IIRC.
    Who wants to watch rich people eat pizza? They must have loved that in Bangladesh. - Randy Newman on the 2014 Oscars broadcast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ItalianFan View Post
    I agree. If Plushenko competes he will intimidate the others even if rationally the Chans of this world know that they are technically superior to a 31 yr old, it will undoubtedly make them nervous. And this is all to Plushenko's advantage. Plus favorites come and go, even Kurt B did not win the olympics and there is certainly no guarantee that Chan will.
    He may try to intimidate the others, but may not succeed as he really isn't much of a threat to the contenders for gold at this point. And, I'm sure that Chan, Hanyu, etc., no it.

Sending my thoughts and prayers to the people of Elliott Lake :(
    vCash

Great...now I have to go and bleach my brain to get that mental image out of it...*shivers*

vCash
    He really is a poor jerk.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast