Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    vCash
    I always thought Urmanov only had Mishin as a coach. I knew Mishin couldn't have taught him that style .

Thanks for the interview link and the translation, TAHbKA.

I miss his skating. Very few male skaters skate with that sense of style anymore.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    I miss his skating. Very few male skaters skate with that sense of style anymore.[/COLOR]
    Great posture and basic skating, elegant movements. He had an overall package if there ever was one.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    Great posture and basic skating, elegant movements. He had an overall package if there ever was one.
    Very true. He was very underappreciated in North America.

Two places! Atlanta suburbs and in the North Georgia Mountains
    vCash
    I remember when he won the gold, all anybody could talk about on TV was that his costume was effeminate and he wore gloves or some such nonsense. I was pulling for him then, and I do agree he was probably the most elegant male skater I've ever seen.....

what a glorious day!
    vCash
    ...and he simply continued to improve after he won his gold. Thanks for sharing the interview.

Eh?
    vCash
    Thanks for the translation, TAHbKA.
    "Only six more periods, if we're going that route."
    --Tessa Virtue, to Scott Moir, when discussing the countdown to Sochi.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Holley Calmes View Post
    I was pulling for him then, and I do agree he was probably the most elegant male skater I've ever seen.....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Holley Calmes View Post
    I remember when he won the gold, all anybody could talk about on TV was that his costume was effeminate and he wore gloves or some such nonsense. I was pulling for him then, and I do agree he was probably the most elegant male skater I've ever seen.....
    I loved that costume. I thought that if the knight in shining armour riding on his white horse existed, he would look exactly like Urmanov in that FP.
    Last edited by Japanfan; 01-08-2014 at 11:06 PM.

vCash
    Liked his sp costume too

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelvster View Post
    Urmanov is just one of the most elegant skaters of all time IMO.

And he managed to instill a great deal of elegance and grace in his pupils or ex-pupil too e.g. Gordei Gorshkov, Nikol Gosviani.

I recall that he came back in 1999 (by then he was the Russian no.3), skated beautiful and cleanish programmes at the World Championships in Helsinki, and bowed out gracefully. Yes, he never won the World Championships, but he won Olympics and Europeans and had a great long career.
    Ah...but he won the World PROS here in Washington, DC, in his first try. I'll never forget the 'vomit look' on Dick Button's face - never a fan of Alexei the amateur - as he had to hand over the big silver platter to Alexei. Precious!

Great interview!
    Dick Button Historical Quote of the Month: "Good for you, Lucinda Ruh!"

vCash
    argh! nice to know he won pros.

re: Dick Button ... gawd I lost all respect for him after watching hearing his commentary on Alexei's winning Europeans skate in 1997. He went on and on about Alexei's "flamboyance" and what not, and was simply MEAN.

The Circus programme was in fact such a beautiful & memorable programme. I agree with someone who mentioned about his lutz - the long glide off the outside edge is something i miss so much (I wonder why and how this entry became "out of fashion"? you don't see that very much anymore) I also loved his loop ... tried to copy it myself and my coach (when I used to skate) was like "what on earth are you trying to do skating into the corner for that jump!"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    I always thought Urmanov only had Mishin as a coach. I knew Mishin couldn't have taught him that style .

Thanks for the interview link and the translation, TAHbKA.

I miss his skating. Very few male skaters skate with that sense of style anymore.

Me too. I didn't know he had other teachers before Mishin, and that they had a major influence on him.

When I was in Saint Petersburg, our tour guide pointed to a church in the distance, and said it had an ice skating rink and Urmanov used to train there. I was so excited, but there was no time to visit that church. I did not realize he was training with other teachers back then.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12