vCash

NBC / IN coverage of U.S. Nationals

I didn't see this posted so I'm adding it in a separate thread. It is valid as of 1/4/14:

http://www.boston2014.com/2014-prude...day-in-boston/

NBC (snip):

2014 Prudential U.S. Figure Skating Championships
    NBC Broadcast Schedule (all times Eastern, subject to change, check local listing)

BROADCAST DATE
    EVENT
    TIME (ET)
    Saturday, Jan. 11
    LIVE pairs free skate and free dance
    3-6 p.m.

Saturday, Jan. 11
    LIVE Ladies free skate
    8-11 p.m.

Sunday, Jan. 12
    LIVE Men’s free skate
    3-5 p.m.

Saturday, Jan. 18
    Smucker’s Skating Spectacular
    4-6 p.m.
    Approximately 3 hours devoted to Ladies Free, 2 hours to Men's Free, 1.5 hours to Pairs and Ice Dance each. I assume this means they will definitely show the final 2 flights for Ladies in full, MAYBE the final 2 flights for Men (but w/ only 2 hours perhaps only a portion of the penultimate group, i.e. - some chacking to add an SP or two, or some fluff). With approximately 1.5 hours for each of Ice Dance and Pairs, maybe last 2 flights w/ 4 pairs each? That wouldn't take up too much time and squeezed in. Still, there is still probably going to be a lot of fluff …

You can access the link for IN. It looks like they will simply show everything Live / On-Demand that isn't shown by NBC. But, On-Demand only for those events shown by NBC.

Anyone care to speculate on what they will show based on the past?

vCash
    Don't forget they always show Ladies short programs too. Sometimes they're on the Saturday afternoon show; sometimes they're Saturday night. I'm guessing this time they're Saturday night at the beginning of the broadcast; then we get to see the final 2 groups.

vCash
    I can't watch Novice free skates tomorrow because I'll be at work. Does anyone know how quickly IN will have them up for viewing after the events?

vCash
    Neat, thanks! I actually haven't watched any skating since Vancouver 4 years ago, so I'm really out of the loop.

vCash
    So happy IN isn't geo-blocked for this. WOO!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ross_hy View Post
    Don't forget they always show Ladies short programs too. Sometimes they're on the Saturday afternoon show; sometimes they're Saturday night. I'm guessing this time they're Saturday night at the beginning of the broadcast; then we get to see the final 2 groups.
    They usually show the SPs (or parts of them) before the LP, so I suspect they will show the ladies SP- especially the top ones- Sat. night for 1 hour, then show 2 hours of LP live.

vCash
    This is such a good week, freezing, for a stay-in TV marathon of figure skating. I have done my time with hubby's marathon football games TYVM. The remote control in MINE. all weekend. WHEEEEE. Nationals!!! now if they would just stop talking about 20 years ago.....

vCash
    I'm sorry, but it's ridiculous that NBC has two sports cable channels -- NBC Sports and Universal Sports -- and isn't showing any of Nationals live on either channel. They own the broadcast rights, have the equipment set up, and have announcers on site, so why not air the junior events and short programs?

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    I'm actually glad NBC isn't putting anything on their pay cable stations - more that can be watched online that way.

For those outside of the EST time zone, typically NBC shows the non-primetime segments live across the country (whee!), with only Sat night (ladiezzz LP) on delay. here's hoping they do this again.
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

Skating supporter
    Born in Nova Scotia but living in Ottawa, Ontario (Canada's Capital)
    vCash
    At least the US nationals is on a "mainstream" TV channel. In Canada we have the broadcast of our nationals pushed to a cable channel that many Canadians don't have access to.

For me, I'm also glad that the US coverage is on NBC so I can record it while I'm at Canadians
    Can't skate but love to watch

vCash
    Any idea who is doing the commentary for NBC?

vCash
    Scott Hamilton was on the Today show talking from the Nationals venue. He was seated in the stands with the skaters visible in the rink over his shoulders. I would still think Johnny Weir will be there as he's doing the Olympic commentary.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by victorskid View Post
    At least the US nationals is on a "mainstream" TV channel. In Canada we have the broadcast of our nationals pushed to a cable channel that many Canadians don't have access to.

For me, I'm also glad that the US coverage is on NBC so I can record it while I'm at Canadians
    I should have clarified. Those parts of nationals would have been on free network NBC regardless. The problem is that zero other coverage of nationals is being aired. So that means no short programs at all except for perhaps an hour of ladies short programs two days after the event. And probably only half the skaters in the free programs (because the network coverage will be full of fluff, breaks to talk about other sports, and a lot of Olympics promos). NBC easily has the resources to show the rest of those events and could be showing junior events, which might begin introducing audiences to future skaters, on its cable networks to supplement what airs on the main channel. Since it is already paying for the broadcast rights, it seems silly not to cover the full event. It's like having the rights to a football game, but not airing the first quarter.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by reckless View Post
    I should have clarified. Those parts of nationals would have been on free network NBC regardless. The problem is that zero other coverage of nationals is being aired. So that means no short programs at all except for perhaps an hour of ladies short programs two days after the event. And probably only half the skaters in the free programs (because the network coverage will be full of fluff, breaks to talk about other sports, and a lot of Olympics promos). NBC easily has the resources to show the rest of those events and could be showing junior events, which might begin introducing audiences to future skaters, on its cable networks to supplement what airs on the main channel. Since it is already paying for the broadcast rights, it seems silly not to cover the full event. It's like having the rights to a football game, but not airing the first quarter.
    Under the current arrangement between the USFSA and NBC, NBC is not paying for the TV rights to USFSA events. USFSA is essentially buying airtime on NBC to show Skate America and Nationals, and the USFSA and NBC have a revenue-sharing agreement to split the profits of any ad sales. IIRC, it's up to the USFSA to sell most of the ad time for the NBC broadcasts. If the USFSA wanted more of Nationals to air on NBC, NBCSN, or Universal Sports, they would have to pay to have it broadcast and then try to sell ad time for the coverage. Buying air time is not cheap (I know the rate for a 2-hour broadcast on Universal Sports is about $75,000, plus USFSA would have to cover production costs), so I think we're lucky to get the TV coverage that we do. Thankfully, we have IceNetwork to supplement the coverage.

vCash
    Well, judging by all the complaints on Twitter, Ice Network may have to face the music of people not renewing subscriptions next year. There are far too many complaints about the feeds freezing, the unbalanced volume (too much commentator, no music coming through) as well as just plain old complaining about Tanith and Tonia being too chatty throughout the whole broadcast as well. Many are stating that they can't get into the programs because they're unable to hear what is going on musically as well as it feels that they are being talked to like idiots because every move is being described in detail... for each performer, even when the moves are in EVERY performance.

If IN wants to be more of a "station" then they need to vastly improve the product (and drop the $50 subscription for now... it's not being justified by the product they're giving the consumers.). If they want a way to let people see skating, look at something like UStream or having a small fee per event to charge and have no commentators, just let it be a stream.

I have no clue where the money from the subscriptions goes, but I'm guessing that part or most of it is going to the announcers. Well, like I said, have a feed that's uninterrupted by commentary and then you don't have to pay for announcers. Use that saved money to upgrade the product, so more consumers watch/use your product and then eventually you'll be able to branch out and have commentators (if that's what your audience wants).

As it seems now, the people who are paying for IN just want to be able to watch their skating events, without announcers, without the feed freezing and the volumes adjusted so they can hear the music.
    Last edited by twizzlesizzle; 01-11-2014 at 06:32 AM.