Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

vCash
    Sheep are always going to find a shepherd. If it wasn't Jenny McCarthy, it would have been the crackpot next door who believes ninjas are watching him sleep, your friendly local cult leader, or the stay-at-home mom who does nothing but read the interwebs. Her appearance might have quickened the movement, but it was there already and most of those people would have found that ideology anyway.

Yes, Jenny McCarthy is an idiot when it comes to this but I'm actually going to cut her a little slack. While she went about it the wrong way, I admire her for at least trying. I used to work with special-needs children and you just cannot comprehend what those parents go through everyday, every moment. It would make any normal person insane. And quite honestly, the parents that are insane usually have the children that do things that many have told them would be impossible, from potty training to multiplication. I don't agree with her statements, and I agree that she's irresponsible, but I totally empathize with her and not just wanting, but needing to know why this horrible thing happened to her son.
    "The practice of sport is a human right. Every individual must have the possibility of practicing sport, without discrimination of any kind and in the Olympic spirit, which requires mutual understanding with a spirit of friendship, solidarity and fair play." –Olympic Charter

vCash
    The problem I have with Jenny is that there is absolutely no proof that MMR causes autism yet she refuses to change her stance. She is a public figure with a wide audience. Children are dying because parents refuse to have them vaccinated. Children are dying because parents don't vaccinate their children and those children infect kids who are too young for vaccines. These parents may think what they are doing is best for their children, but they are wrong. The science is there for all to read. When parents don't vaccinate their children they are putting not only their own children at risk, but other people's as well. There are a very very few children who cannot be vaccinated, but no where near the level we are now seeing. In some places we are very much at risk of losing herd protection. I completely understand looking for answers when you have a special needs child. I also completely understand being determined to prove the "experts" wrong when in comes to what your child can and can't do. I have been in that situation myself. What I can't understand or forgive, what is quite different from the mom who reads everything on the internet or local cult leader, is using international celebrity to forward a cause that is responsible for children dying from preventable diseases.

For those who are interested, this is an interesting article on vaccines:

http://theconversation.com/six-myths...re-wrong-13556
    A good rant is cathartic. Ranting is what keeps me sane. They always come from a different place. Take the prime minister, for example. Sometimes when I rant about him, I am angry; other times, I am just severely annoyed - it's an important distinction. - Rick Mercer

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cygnus View Post
    http://hollywoodlife.com/2010/02/26/...er-had-autism/

Ooops my bad? How much damage did this woman do in the past few years?
    Quote Originally Posted by Anita18 View Post
    Wait...the article says it was published in 2010....so what is going on?
    If you follow the second link on that webpage, "[URL=http://hollywoodlife.com/2014/01/04/jenny-mccarthy-son-autism-never-had-claim-response/]Jenny was interviewed," you get a link to an article of today's date (January 4, 2014), which states:

Jenny McCarthy Responds To Report She Claimed Son Never Had Autism

Jenny’s 11-year-old son, Evan, was unfairly thrust into the public eye on Jan. 3 when a report stated that ‘The View’ host was claiming he may not have actually had autism after all. But Jenny quickly took to Twitter on Jan. 4 to clear things up — see what she had to say!

Unfortunately, Jenny McCarthy is being forced to confirm, yet again, that her 11-year-old son Evan has been diagnosed with autism. The View host was pushed to clear things up after a Jan. 3 report cited a years-old story in which Jenny had reportedly questioned her son’s illness.

Being a celebrity (with a talk show) doesn't make her an expert on health issues, but, beyond that, she really had no business putting her son's condition in the limelight in the first place. The theory that MMR vaccinations cause autism has, of course, long been discredited.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Matryeshka View Post
    I don't agree with her statements, and I agree that she's irresponsible, but I totally empathize with her and not just wanting, but needing to know why this horrible thing happened to her son.
    I was taught a valuable lesson very earlier on in my journey as a special needs parent. A number of my son's therapists stated that they don't get caught up in the " whys, " but they focus on what can be done. So, the latter became my focus. Parents can tie themselves into terrible knots by focusing too much on the whys. I know special needs parents that have focused on the "what can be done " that have made some wonderful gains with their children or in some cases have come to terms with their child's severe limitations. I am not saying that parents should never focus on the whys. Fundraising for research, for instance, is one way to help that. It is just so much more empowering to focus on what can be done.
    Last edited by algonquin; 01-05-2014 at 02:45 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    None, I would think. However, the antivaccine movement got an enormous boost in the 1990s with the infamous Lancet study linking the MMR vaccine to autism. And since that is Jenny McCarthy's particular bandwagon, I would say she was something of a late entry in 2008. YMMV.
    I agree about the impact of The Lancet study, but I don't remember any celebrities as high-profile as McCarthy championing the cause, or championing it for as loudly and as long.
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by algonquin View Post
    I was taught a valuable lesson very earlier on in my journey as a special needs parent. A number of my son's therapists stated that they don't get caught up in the " whys, " but they focus on what can be done. So, the latter became my focus. Parents can tie themselves into terrible knots by focusing too much on the whys. I know special needs parents that have focused on the "what can be done " that have made some wonderful gains with their children or in some cases have come to terms with their child's severe limitations. I am not saying that parents should never focus on the whys. Fundraising for research, for instance, is one way to help that. It is just so much more empowering to focus on what can be done.
    Thankfully my son's disabilities lessened after years of therapies and medical treatments but when he was at his worse, I didn't have time to focus on why, all I could think about was how to get through each day and make sure he had the best future possible. When my son starts college in September, it will be 18 years after we were told he wouldn't live more than a few days.

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    I agree about the impact of The Lancet study, but I don't remember any celebrities as high-profile as McCarthy championing the cause, or championing it for as loudly and as long.
    The point being what? My point was that Jenny McCarthy gets blamed by a lot of people when the antivaccination movement was alive and well and thriving before 2008. She undoubtedly contributed, but again--she was rather late to the game. The percentage of parents who refuse one or more vaccinations for their children has grown steadily since The Lancet study came out.

It's easy to blame Jenny McCarthy, but I doubt very much if anything she had said would have had much effect had it not been for the vast amount of bad information already available--and widely cited--well before her appearance on Larry King or her book. And at least some of it is put out there by actual doctors, and some of the "research" looks really credible, so it's not like people were taking Jenny McCarthy's word for it--they think the "experts" are telling them all this stuff. That is why the reasons so many parents are anti-vaccine go well beyond anything Jenny McCarthy has had to say in her own rather limited view--there are a lot of reasons parents don't vaccinate that have nothing to do with anything Jenny McCarthy has said or her reasons for saying so.

As for thinking she should just shut up--really? So if you believed, REALLY believed as many parents of autistic children do, that vaccines were harming children rather than helping them, you would keep this to yourself? What if it wasn't vaccines but something else? What if she was right? Sometimes people are right. Good for them for speaking up--sometimes the status quo needs to be questioned. Yeah, sometimes people question things for stupid reasons, but still--if I ever think that kids are being harmed by something toxic, I'm damn well going to say so and I hope others will, too. I'd rather be wrong and stupid than right and silent.
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    The British doc who authored The Lancet study has since been stripped of his medical license and is in Texas, heading something awfully resembling a cult. That's what I recall reading, anyway.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    The point being what? My point was that Jenny McCarthy gets blamed by a lot of people when the antivaccination movement was alive and well and thriving before 2008. She undoubtedly contributed, but again--she was rather late to the game. The percentage of parents who refuse one or more vaccinations for their children has grown steadily since The Lancet study came out.
    IMHO it wouldn't have grown so quickly without McCarthy promoting it. Her celebrity, plus her not being a scientist (i.e. explaining things in accessible language), did a lot more to promote the anti-vaccination ideas than an article in a medical/specialty journal intended for practitioners.

And at least some of it is put out there by actual doctors, and some of the "research" looks really credible, so it's not like people were taking Jenny McCarthy's word for it--they think the "experts" are telling them all this stuff.
    But she cited "experts" too, the ones that supported her views. That gave her credibility as well.

That is why the reasons so many parents are anti-vaccine go well beyond anything Jenny McCarthy has had to say in her own rather limited view--there are a lot of reasons parents don't vaccinate that have nothing to do with anything Jenny McCarthy has said or her reasons for saying so.
    I don't think anyone is blaming her for every anti-vaccination choice - e.g. in my area there are several religious communities that don't believe in vaccinating their children, on the basis that God will keep the kids healthy. I'm sure what Jenny McCarthy says about vaccination has nothing at all to do with their decisions. But IME there are parents who have listened to Jenny McCarthy and other anti-vaccination proponents who wouldn't have considered not vaccinating their kids without encountering those sources. And if those sources are promoting decisions based on bad science, that's a problem.
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    IMHO it wouldn't have grown so quickly without McCarthy promoting it. Her celebrity, plus her not being a scientist (i.e. explaining things in accessible language), did a lot more to promote the anti-vaccination ideas than an article in a medical/specialty journal intended for practitioners.
    Plus her boobs. Don't dismiss her boobs!

Seriously, pretty people get something called the halo effect. If she was Melissa McCarthy and not Jenny McCarthy, I don't think she would have ended up with the platform she ended up with or had the impact she had.

I think Jenny McCarthy did give the anti-vax movement a voice and a spokesperson who wasn't a crunchy-granola nutcase and made mainstream parents feel at ease in selecting a choice that they might otherwise have been nervous to go with. I think she accelerated a process that was already happening and even got it to more people than if she had never jumped on the band wagon. And, if she had turned out to be right, that would have been a good thing.

But not only was she wrong, but the sources and experts she used to form her opinions have all been discredited. Yet she refuses to change her position. I think that's irresponsible and I think she deserves all kinds of flack for it.
    Actual bumper sticker series: Jesus is my co-pilot. Satan is my financial advisor. Budha is my therapist. L. Ron Hubbard owes me $50.

vCash
    I pretty much agree with everyone here. Prancer, I agree that we cannot lay all blame on McCarthy. There certainly were other studies that were irresponsible and just plain wrong. But, I do believe that many people will listen to a celebrity, who would not necessarily read a medical study (accurate or not). There are people who genuinely believe that a famous person would not say something unless it is true. I don't believe that most posters here would take Jenny McCarthy seriously, but there are people who would. I would actually take Melissa more seriously than Jenny, but that's neither here not there. I have never understood why people are so willing to think that celebrities are so knowledgeable about medical or political issues.

I do give her some credit for putting Autism out, front and center. For bringing awareness. Of course that does put her son in the lime light. Something she has to own.

MacMadame, do you think her boobs are real? Why doesn't she carry on about the risks of breast augmentation?

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cruisin View Post
    IMacMadame, do you think her boobs are real? Why doesn't she carry on about the risks of breast augmentation?
    I have no idea. I, um, don't look at them that much.
    Actual bumper sticker series: Jesus is my co-pilot. Satan is my financial advisor. Budha is my therapist. L. Ron Hubbard owes me $50.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MacMadame View Post
    I have no idea. I, um, don't look at them that much.
    No, I don't either. I just usually assume centerfold types have implants. Not fair of me, but...

Official FSU Alte Kacher
    vCash
    Erm, wouldn't Ms McCarthy have the full run of vaccinations in her childhood? Didn't seem to have side effects for her.
    "Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity”– MLK

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Reuven View Post
    Erm, wouldn't Ms McCarthy have the full run of vaccinations in her childhood? Didn't seem to have side effects for her.
    Maybe they caused her to run on at the mouth and think she's smarter than she is?

vCash
    No, I don't either. I just usually assume centerfold types have implants. Not fair of me, but...
    I can't find anything to link to, but I'm pretty sure she had implants, got famous, then had them removed and went all holier than thou about how women shouldn't get implants which seems at bit rich, but not terribly surprising.
    A good rant is cathartic. Ranting is what keeps me sane. They always come from a different place. Take the prime minister, for example. Sometimes when I rant about him, I am angry; other times, I am just severely annoyed - it's an important distinction. - Rick Mercer

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    i've heard her discuss her implants, she got them in her teens.

d listers gotta hustle if they want to eat. i'm not sure what else she has had to sell during some stretches of her career.
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

vCash

MacMadame, do you think her boobs are real? Why doesn't she carry on about the risks of breast augmentation?
    Or how about the effects constant chemical processing (like bleaching hair blonde) has on one's hair and scalp.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    IIRC, Jenny mentioned her implants somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by my little pony View Post
    i've heard her discuss her implants, she got them in her teens.
    I always knew we have similar interests: best concealer, celebrity plastic surgery.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

Mad for mangelwurzels
    vCash
    Getting breast implants in your teens should be banned in my opinion.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast