Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Canadian ladies über
    vCash
    Kelly Garrison was the NCAA AA champion in 1987 and 1988 and competed at worlds from 1983-1987 and made the 1988 Olympic team. She went to Oklahoma.

Klara Kudilkova competed internationally for the Czech Republic in the early 1990s and competed NCAA foe Washington. She made vault finals at 1993 worlds.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    Lena Degteva's sister also competed NCAA. Her name was Marina and she was on LSUs team in the early 2000s. She is still one of my favorite gymnasts from LSU!
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    Just a heads up for this weeks big championships, the prelims will air on NCAA's website but finals will air on ESPN3. In other words, it is all online but ESPN3 goes by your cable provider. If you have DirectTV like me, then you can't log in to watch. No big deal, just find a friend or family member with a qualifying cable provider and ask to borrow their login information. That is what I will have to do.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    Oh wow, so with Florida, Utah, Alabama, and UCLA all in session 2 tonight, that means one of those teams isn't going to Super Six. In Session 1, I would say Oklahoma and LSU are locks with the final spot between Georgia and Michigan unless Stanford decides to show up. I kind of hope Michigan makes the super six, but Georgia is very strong on bars and that could make the difference.
    Logic is in the eye of the logician --Gloria Steinem

vCash
    Cool feed of the afternoon session on NCAA.com, cheers for the link.

Big surprise was Georgia getting a 197.3 to finish 2nd.

LSU had some big disappointments, they qualified 3rd with 197.1 but Hall has missed Floor finals (again) with a nervous 9.85. Morrison also missed Vault and Bars with pretty average performances for her. I was also hoping Courville would put up more of a challenge for the AA but she was nervous. STill, she'll most likely defend her vault title, she'll probably also make floor final and ...just might make a beam final too. Overall LSU were clean, but nervous and tight.

It is very likely that Michigan would have kept LSU out of the super six had they not been forced to count a fall on beam
    Joanna Sampson was very good, leads the AA so far.

Lyndsey Cheek and Hayley Scaman were at their best too. Both making multiple finals, I'm sure.

Some of those marks were way OTT though. Brandie Jay closed for Geoirgia on floor. Yes, solid to open, but two other passes were distinctly average and everything else was verging on disgusting. She scored 9.925!! I expect 12's for the likes of Millner, Hunter and Sloan.

Evening session in four hours. I'd like to see UCLA do what Georgia just did, bring their absolute best when it matters. I could live without Utah in the super six.

Florida, DON'T fck up!! Alaina Johnson for AA please, Macko to make bars and beam finals and Sloan to make finals in everything??!!

vCash
    LSU has got to learn how to compete at these big Championships. Hopefully they figure it out for tonight!
    -Brian

vCash
    My two fav's are the co-champs! Congrats to Florida and Oklahoma!

vCash
    The last landing of the last performer. That's epic and all kind of . Jacob falling was deliciously apt! But then Sloan was robbed and Hunter given the same 9.95 as half the gals on the floor and I thought the sooners had it. I NEVER thought Bridgey would pull a 9.95 to win..but..then it was a tie.......

I guess I'm happy! I would complain more about Sloan and Hunter's floor scores, but then someone gave Spicer a 9.9 so...meh. Two champions but it still feels like one of them should have won.

Hunter and Sloan with 39.725 AAs

COurville was I listened to an Audio from LSU and that coach is a sour twonk. They came third and all she did was bash their lack of competitive edge??! Ever heard of positive reinforcement? They placed third with one excellent gymnast, a sideshow FX routine and a bunch of try hards, who did just that. I say and build on it instead of moaning to the world before the competition has even finished.

vCash
    Are you talking about the interview with DD Breaux after the 5th rotation when LSU had finished? She wasn't complaining! She was pointing out that the team was new to being in this position and they still obviously had some learning to do on how to compete to win a National title. She is completely on the money. She mentioned how they will come back and hopefully do it next year. She had every right to think those girls didn't hit as well as they could. They went 198.325 at Regionals and hit 198 earlier in the regular season, as well. They could have been right in the running if they had done their best and that is what it takes, your very best. OU and Florida put together their best meets all season even if it wasn't their highest score.

I am thrilled with the results. Sure, I wanted LSU to win but they finished the highest they ever have and really did quite well even if they had a better meet or two earlier on in the season. I love Florida and Oklahoma so I think it is great they tied. The best part is welcoming yet another team into the club of National Champions. That is 2 new Champions in 2 years. I hope this is the beginning of a trend and that the sport becomes more competitive! Let's add LSU to the club next year!

I thought scoring was pretty bad in some spots. The judges tried so hard to give it to Bama. I am surprised they didn't let them redo their beam routines after all the trouble they went through to gift them the title. Those floor scores were OUTRAGEOUS. Bama got a 9.95 for every girl who went clean. Sure, going clean is a big deal but everyone else had to hit it OUT OF THE PARK to touch 9.95 Courville stuck two passes to two feet and had complete control of the other pass and also got a 9.95 If you compare them, and she did come after Bama, she should have gone above a 10. Same for Hall! How in the world B. Caquatto got a 9.95 is also beyond me. It is almost as if the judges knew exactly what score she needed.

Other than floor, I thought judging was OK. Bars was all about sticking dismounts. I wish the judges would be consistent from year to year. Next year it may be all about handstands again. Vault was judged well, I thought. I didn't get Jessie Jordan's score as it looks like she stuck with just the tiniest of rebound hops but she only went 9.825 I saw the same vaults all day long go 9.9 Hall came after her and had a clear hop and was not as clean and scored the same 9.825 That was weird. I was disappointed that LSU went into the final rotation again and didn't stick vaults. They stick them all year. It would not have changed their placement but they should have been scoring 49.5 on vault like the other teams in contention.

By the way, I think this event might spur some judging changes. Not because the judging was so horrid but because we were THIS CLOSE to have a 3 way tie for the team title. That can't happen. The teams and gymnasts are clearly not being separated. I hope they tweak the code and add in deductions for those landings with feet so far apart (FLORIDA!) and maybe make a few overused elements lower in value (gainer back pike off beam, gainer fulls off beam). Something has to be done so that the gymnasts who do the difficulty and do it well get more of a reward. As it is now, everyone goes 9.9 or 9.95 depending on the night as long as you stick.
    -Brian

vCash
    How does the scoring system work? Is it set up such that everyone starts at a 10 and just has certain requirements to fulfill?

For some events e.g. floor and beam the gymnasts seem like they perform a lot of skills, but UB routines seem empty like they go on, do a release, go to low bar, then go to high bar, then dismount.

vCash
    I think routines start from a 9.5 and they need to earn the extra .5 These days it is very easy to do and there were very few, if any, routines at Nationals not out of a 10

A lot of people are talking about changing the code but I think if they just change the judging to allow judges to judge in increments of .025 that would go a long way to separate the gymnasts. It would also help to add the lines on the landing mat for vault. In doing those two things, you don't change a thing to the actual code or force gymnasts to change a thing about their routines. No one has to whine about increased injuries or fans not wanting to see a bunch of 9.7s We can still have the big scores but they can separate them into 9.9-9.925-9.95 and 9.975 instead of just 9.9 and 9.95 Plus, with so many Yurchenko fulls, why not have a way to differentiate all of them by adding the lines on the mat. I think it would be a really good start.
    -Brian

vCash
    LSU's coaches swept the National Coach awards! D.D. Breaux was named Coach of the Year and Moore and Clark shared Assistant Coach of the Year honors. What an honor for all of them and this is apparently the first time D.D. has won the award in 37 years of coaching! I know LSU didn't win the National title but finishing 3rd and spending multiple weeks ranked #1 plus blowing away team records all season is sure worth it. KJ is very deserving but I wouldn't be surprised if the voters (other Division I coaches) went with D.D. because of how long she has been at this.
    -Brian

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123