Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    LSU beat Oklahoma last week in a close one but lost to them tonight in a meet with Arizona and Kentucky.

However, LSU posted a school record 197.875 OU scored over 198 10's were awarded to Courville on vault, Hall on FX and Scaman on FX. 9.975's went to Morrison on bars and Capps on beam. I think it is safe to say the scoring was a tad high but LSU and Oklahoma are #2 and #3 in the country so I don't think they are too far off. LSU went 49.6 on beam after sticking every dismount! If they can start going 49.4 on beam or so then they will be well on their way to fighting for SEC title and NCAA title.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    Florida have had tens 4 weeks in a row. . . They are also spoiled for AAers with Sloan, Hunter, Caquatto and Johnson. Bridgette Caquatto really coming through this year as is Spicer and even Claire Boyce. They're going to repeat, easy, IMHO.

vCash
    I think Florida should repeat but I don't think it should be easy. LSU and Oklahoma are so good, much better than last year. If Florida had not had the FX of a lifetime, they wouldn't have won. All it takes is one too many falls. The difference may be that Florida will really feel the pressure, especially if prelims are tight. That could cause them to compete tight and make mistakes. We shall see. I do agree, though, that they SHOULD win.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    Watching the LSU and Florida meet right now. I love both of these teams! Should be a great meet.
    Logic is in the eye of the logician --Gloria Steinem

vCash
    I found the judges on bars to be pretty tight and particularly on Florida. I don't think we've seen home meet inflation tonight.

vCash
    LSU is officially ranked #1 for the week! It will probably be short lived as Florida is counting a lowish road score that they can easily drop. LSU has been so consistent and has scored better on the road than at home so they have been rewarded with the #1 rankings this week (which is the first week RQS has been used). It pays to go out on the road a lot and hit like they have!
    -Brian

vCash
    LSU scored their first 198 in school history!! I am so glad I was there to witness it. And they still could have been better!!
    -Brian

vCash
    LSU remains #1 for another week, almost a full tenth ahead of Florida. Florida probably still has a lowish road score to drop so LSU needs to knock another one out of the park next week to maintain their lead. It doesn't really matter at this point, all focus is soon to be on SECs.
    -Brian

vCash
    I'm enjoying LSU and Oklahoma so much this season. I'm enjoying Florida a lot less than I did last year - I don't know what the difference is, because I wasn't crazy about any of Florida's graduated gymnasts (except for Ashanee's FX). Oklahoma and LSU are by far my two favorite teams to watch this year, and Arizona is my #1 team on floor. Allie Flores and Kristin Klarenbach of Arizona easily have two of my favorite floor routines in the NCAA this year.

vCash
    Oof. Gymnastics has taken a back seat for me this year. A combination of working 55-hour weeks and the Olympics have had me not paying much attention outside of Michigan State's meets. I've followed enough to see that there's tons of 10's being thrown around and numerous teams over the 198 mark

I did manage to get down to Southeast Missouri when MSU was in town. It was an exciting meet because both teams are very-well matched. It's not like going to MSU vs Nebraska where we know that Nebraska is going to crush MSU by about 4 points. Mr. FB and I were the only MSU fans at the meet The team was super happy and excited that we showed up! They were all smiling and waving at us throughout the night. Watching both of these teams, it's scary to think of the high level of gymnastics being performed all over the country, because both of these teams are most likely going to miss regionals this year (2 years in a row for MSU ). They both put on quite a show and there were tons of stuck landings and standout performances with some reasonably high difficulty.

I'm hoping Alina Cartwright can squeak through regionals (she'll easily make it as an AA-er) and nab a spot at Nationals. Her improvement over the summer has been INSANE. She's hit every routine this year on VT, FX, and BB (almost all for a 9.8+) and is ranked 23rd in the country on vault.

vCash
    Big Ten Network will be airing two quad meets tomorrow (Saturday). At 1:30 EST is Minnesota, Iowa, and Penn State @ Michigan. The meet will be live. The quad meet with Nebraska, Ohio State, & Illinois @ Michigan State will be same-day tape delayed and will be starting immediately after at 3:30 EST.

Next Saturday Big Ten Championships will be aired live. Session 1 at 1pm EST and session 2 at 5pm EST.

vCash
    LSU scored a 197.800 tonight. Florida a 198.200 and Bama a 197.9 something Big scores! LSU seemed to be competing down a level for the 2nd week in a row. Just not the same stuck landings as previous weeks. I hope they can kick it into high gear at SECs next weekend!
    -Brian

aka IceSkate98
    vCash
    I just noticed there is a repeat of Session 1 this Saturday on Big Ten from 11 a.m. - 1. p.m (central), 12 p.m. - 2 p.m. (eastern).

ETA. Just noticed on the schedule that it's Live.
    Angie
    “I have not failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” ~ Thomas A. Edison

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Simone411 View Post
    I just noticed there is a repeat of Session 1 this Saturday on Big Ten from 11 a.m. - 1. p.m (central), 12 p.m. - 2 p.m. (eastern).

ETA. Just noticed on the schedule that it's Live.
    Yes, thank you for your correction as I had the time wrong in my first post! Session 1 will be aired live on BTN at noon EST. It will include Michigan, Michigan State, Iowa, and Ohio State.

Session 2 will be aired live at 5pm EST, and it will include Nebraska, Illinois, Penn State, and Minnesota.

vCash
    LSU qualifies to NCAAs with a school record and season high for any team, 198.325! Amazing performance. 10 for Hall on floor and a 9.975 for Courville on beam. I think I also saw a 10 thrown for Courville on floor and Morrison (and maybe Courville) on vault.
    -Brian

vCash
    The Men's NCAA Championship final is on Big 10 network at 7pm eastern tonight.

vCash
    So the NCAA champs are this weekend. Given that I'm a relative novice to these champs I have a ream of questions for the more seasoned viewers, Fridge, BigBo, Allen ...etc. Hope this is okay

Is there a chance that Bama will benefit from the fact that the meet is essentially at home?

Is there a history of hometown favour?

I don't follow any particular team, although I am most impressed with Florida - particularly Johnson and Sloan. Hunter seems made for NCAA but The Caquattos should be so much better and I have no idea why Calussi/Giambatisto don't do beam over Spicer. Overall, it's very difficult to understand why a performance will score mid 9'9s all season and then only mid 9'8's at SECs. The Gators Beam and Floor scores, particularly Johnson's, just seemed so out of synch at SECs compared with previous scoring.

IS there a history of pre marking? The likes of Hunter, Sampson and Millner have huge tumbles, and score well.....do the judges keep these big tumblers in mind when dishing out scores to 'smaller' gymnasts?

Do lead offs ever score mid 9'9s or ar they sacrificial to an extent, a score to build on?

Who has been the biggest NCAA gymnastic disappointment (I'm nominating Bridgey Caquatto thus far)?

Why are UCLA such headcases? Does their shitty season thus far mean that they'll score low regardless of what they do at NCAAs?

What has been the biggest surprise victory or placing at the super 6?

What do I need to know about NCAAs that I may not know already?

Where the hell was Rheagan Courville before College? She is superb!

Very cool to see Danusia Francis be one to beat.

Sam Peszek is also.

Has there ever been a known RUssian/Eastern Euro at NCAAs?

Has anyone ever successfully juggled collegiate with elite for more than 1 season?

Thanks guys
    Last edited by poths; 04-14-2014 at 12:02 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by poths View Post
    Florida have had tens 4 weeks in a row. . . They are also spoiled for AAers with Sloan, Hunter, Caquatto and Johnson. Bridgette Caquatto really coming through this year as is Spicer and even Claire Boyce. They're going to repeat, easy, IMHO.
    I've totally changed my mind since February!

vCash
    Is there a chance that Bama will benefit from the fact that the meet is essentially at home?

Yes, of course, that is a definite possibility. The men's championships was at Michigan and I think the home town crowd gave them a boost. I don't think their scores were any different because of hometown advantage.

Is there a history of hometown favour?

Since 2002, 3 teams have won the national championships at home. Alabama, UCLA, and Georgia.

I don't follow any particular team, although I am most impressed with Florida - particularly Johnson and Sloan. Hunter seems made for NCAA but The Caquattos should be so much better and I have no idea why Calussi/Giambatisto don't do beam over Spicer. Overall, it's very difficult to understand why a performance will score mid 9'9s all season and then only mid 9'8's at SECs. The Gators Beam and Floor scores, particularly Johnson's, just seemed so out of synch at SECs compared with previous scoring.

Calussi did an exhibition at one of the regular season meets and looked mega shaky.
    I didn't do an analysis of the judging at SECS, but it seemed like beam was tighter while bars was really loose.

IS there a history of pre marking? The likes of Hunter, Sampson and Millner have huge tumbles, and score well.....do the judges keep these big tumblers in mind when dishing out scores to 'smaller' gymnasts?

I guess you could argue either way. Kat Ding won the FX national title a couple years back with less impressive tumbling. Holly Vise was second one year with much easier tumbling than Morgan Dennis who came in fourth. Sydney Sawa has been scoring high all year with a double back tuck and double back pike.

Do lead offs ever score mid 9'9s or ar they sacrificial to an extent, a score to build on?

Not sot much in prelims, but it sometimes happens in the super six. There was a year that every floor performer for Georgia scored 9.9+ At SECS, I'm pretty sure ever bar performer from Georgia went 9.9+ and Florida's lead off also started at 9.9.

Who has been the biggest NCAA gymnastic disappointment (I'm nominating Bridgey Caquatto thus far)?
    If your are referring to this year, I wouldn't pick Bridgey Caquatto. Yes, SECs and Regionals weren't great for her, but she's delivered the rest of the season. In years past I would say Shayla Worley.

Why are UCLA such headcases? Does their shitty season thus far mean that they'll score low regardless of what they do at NCAAs?

UCLA has always been headcases in the regular season, but they show up more often than not at the NCAA Championships. Going back 20 years, UCLA has 17 Super Six appearances and 6 titles. Since 2010, they have went 1, 2, 3, 4 in that order. They have had bad regular seasons before and come back for the big meet. However, this year, to make super 6, they are going to have to be very good in prelims..

What has been the biggest surprise victory or placing at the super 6?

Florida winning last year after counting a fall on beam? Arkansas coming in second in session 1 in 2009 and advancing to Super Six over UCLA.

Where the hell was Rheagan Courville before College? She is superb!

She was in Elite. I remember her being shown on the broadcast for the 2009 Cover Girl classic. Other than that, she was always middle of the road in her results.

Has there ever been a known RUssian/Eastern Euro at NCAAs?

Nicole Pechanec competed for the Czech Republic, but lived in New Jersey at the time. Lena Degteva was Ukranian (?), but grew up in Canada. There is someone that I'm probably missing.

Has anyone ever successfully juggled collegiate with elite for more than 1 season

Kate Richardson did both for 2003 and 2004.

vCash
    So cool to respond like that, cheers Allen!

IIRC to make the super 6 UCLA will have to place top three in a semi with Florida, Bama and Utah, I hope they edge Utah but we'll see.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast