Page 8 of 36 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
    Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    On another note: I was pretty sure last week but now am almost positive ... Matthew was the only one in the family who knew about Gregson's marital situation, yes? I had thought he might have told Mary but it would seem not. And obviously Robert and Cora don't know, or they wouldn't have been talking about him as "Well, not the most suitable but he'll do." So, how long til that secret comes out?

vCash
    A few things.....
    I like Robert, always have. I've always liked his subtle mixture of elegance and arrogance. When he makes mistakes, he's shame-faced about it without resorting to dramatics. He takes it on the chin and is a 'man' about it. For example when Cora was talking about grown men gambling away their fortunes, he agrees with her without giving anything away.
    Lord Gillingham is good-looking but how do their personalities gel? I need to see more before I give my blessings.
    As for Edna, all I can say is her comeuppance is coming.
    I do enjoy Rose but only because I realized that she doesn't take anything AWAY from the storyline but what does she add really? I hope the show will find a weightier role for her in future.

And lastly Anna............ Her reaction not to let Bates know feels very natural to me. I mean she knows Bates is devoted to her and is sufficiently mysterious to her to actually kill someone for her, especially one who has wronged her. He may not have killed his wife, but the way this character has been portrayed, I think the audience can correctly ascertain that he is capable of at least harming anyone he believes has wronged him..........how much more Anna who has been through a lot for him. So her first concern being for him is not jarring to me. Also I think the attitude to rape in those times even to some extent these days, is for women to keep it secret because of shame and fear of being blamed for it. In this case she is a married woman who has to fight off feelings of degradation and low self-esteem in the eyes of her husband.

vCash
    Yes Artemis good point. I wondered about that and half expected Mary to mention it to her father in the last episode when they talked about it. But it seems Matthew true to his 'man of integrity' fashion took that info to his grave, and did not tell Mary when they had their pillow talk about it - perhaps thinking Gregson would call it off like they agreed. Hmmmm............ Edith's story is far from over.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tamuno View Post
    Also I think the attitude to rape in those times even to some extent these days, is for women to keep it secret because of shame and fear of being blamed for it. In this case she is a married woman who has to fight off feelings of degradation and low self-esteem in the eyes of her husband.
    Also, even if she brought it forward and "Gillingham" was prosecuted, in those days, she may have lost her position as well. Even though she did nothing wrong.

vCash
    It's up, haven't read it yet. http://happyplace.someecards.com/285...on-4-episode-2

Eeyore Molesley

Bing Translator - Aristocrat to English
    Last edited by znachki; 01-13-2014 at 11:04 PM.

vCash
    ^ Well, they made it work as well as they could ... kudos.

"Millions of audience members like nothing that is going on right now and demand that Julian Fellowes fix it."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis@BC View Post
    ^ Well, they made it work as well as they could ... kudos.

"Millions of audience members like nothing that is going on right now and demand that Julian Fellowes fix it."
    Yep, I think they did.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by znachki View Post
    Eeyore Molesley

Bing Translator - Aristocrat to English
    Yeah, those were my favourites too. Along with "Cora has checked into the 20th Century - 3 minutes ago."

vCash
    I also continue to love Ghost of Matthew and Ghost of Sybil.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by znachki View Post
    I also continue to love Ghost of Matthew and Ghost of Sybil.
    They also did these cards for Season 3...had the Ghost of Lavinia Swire.

Example:

"Lady Mary Crawley is married to Sir Matthew Crawley"

Ghost of Lavinia Swire: Called it.

Link: http://happyplace.someecards.com/203...facebook-recap
    Last edited by dardar1126; 01-14-2014 at 12:24 AM.

vCash
    Well I hope poor Anna doesn't get preggers, but I won't be surprised if that's the direction her story line takes...
    Nubka - Unpaid Slave Laborer...

on my couch awaitin' Figure Skating season
    vCash
    So Anna gets raped while Kiri te Kanawa aka Nellie Melba sings opera at the top of her lungs, drowning out Anna's screams. I hate this episode. This isn't what I expected when Dame Kiri was slated for an appearance.

vCash
    I had no idea it was going to happen to Anna - sheesh. Hasn't this character had enough misery (husband arrested and sent to prison)? Hope Bates figures it out and somehow, w/o jeopardizing himself, figures out a way to take out that creep on his next return to Downton Abbey. Am sick of Edna and Jimmy but enjoying Edith and her savvy card-playing suitor.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nubka View Post
    Well I hope poor Anna doesn't get preggers, but I won't be surprised if that's the direction her story line takes...
    Statistically, it's unlikely. I forgot what exactly the chances are of getting pregnant if you have sex once while ovulating but they are more like 80% rather than a 100%, believe it or not. The egg lives for about 24 hours at most, or for one day. So the chances of her ovulating on that particular day of the month are what, 1/30 x 80%, you do the math. No Plan B around at the time.
    Sorry, I went off on this obstetrical tangent, TMI. But the writers may have totally not cared about these numbers where there is major drama to be had. If she does, it would some really bad luck on top of really bad luck.

I will stop now.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    since episode 1 established mrs hughes is a busybody now, i wonder if she will tell someone
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    Statistically, it's unlikely. I forgot what exactly the chances are of getting pregnant if you have sex once while ovulating but they are more like 80% rather than a 100%, believe it or not. The egg lives for about 24 hours at most, or for one day. So the chances of her ovulating on that particular day of the month are what, 1/30 x 80%, you do the math. No Plan B around at the time.
    Sorry, I went off on this obstetrical tangent, TMI. But the writers may have totally not cared about these numbers where there is major drama to be had. If she does, it would some really bad luck on top of really bad luck.
    If you've watched TV, like, ever, you'll know that real-life conception stats have absolutely nothing to do with TV-land conception rates. The only math that matters here is the potential for dramatic conflict.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by my little pony View Post
    since episode 1 established mrs hughes is a busybody now, i wonder if she will tell someone
    That's how I think the info will come out. Especially since she's a well-meaning busybody. Perhaps something along the lines of Bates notices Anna's change in behaviour → Bates asking Mrs Hughes if she knows what the problem is (since Anna won't talk about it) → Mrs Hughes telling him.

vCash
    I could see Mrs. Hughes telling Carson and Carson telling Bates. Everything must go through the proper channel, you know.

Can someone clarify exactly who raped Anna for me? I kept getting confused between the references to "Lord Gillingham" and "Mr. Gillingham" and the dark-haired younger guys all look alike to me.
    I'd rather be thought of as absolutely ridiculous than as absolutely boring.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by zaphyre14 View Post
    Can someone clarify exactly who raped Anna for me? I kept getting confused between the references to "Lord Gillingham" and "Mr. Gillingham" and the dark-haired younger guys all look alike to me.
    Lord Gillingham's valet whose name is Green, but who is known below-stairs as Mr. Gillingham.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by zaphyre14 View Post
    Lord Gillingham's valet, Mr. Green (/) who is referred to by Downton staff as "Mister Gillingham" is the rapist. Common practice at house parties was for the valets and maids who traveled with their employers to be called by the employers last name. Simplified things.

So, if Bates and Anna traveld with the family, they'd be Mr. Grantham & Mrs. Crawley, Edna would be Miss Grantham

Page 8 of 36 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast