Page 5 of 36 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PRlady View Post
    OK, when Mary finally started crying so did I.

What a nice premiere. Lots of good storylines to follow. I am so rooting for Edith and newspaper guy....
    Quote Originally Posted by elka_sk8 View Post
    Me too.

Great premiere overall. Also liked Edith's wardrobe! I don't have a good feeling about that affair with the newspaper guy though, as much as I'd like it to work out....
    Quote Originally Posted by ChelleC View Post
    Oh, so did I. Both of her conversations with Carson were heartbreaking.
    Add me to those who were when Mary broke down crying. I even got teary-eyed when I heard her and Carson's scene as part of a radio review.

As for Edith and her would-be German citizen beau ... I'm thinking that might not end well ... or at least have quite a bit of complications. (Nightmarish visions of baby Sybil and George with cousins in the Hitler-Jugend.)

Quote Originally Posted by Matryeshka View Post
    Rose annoys me. Maybe she'll get eaten by sharks.
    Rose annoys me just as much as she did last season -- and I'm a bit upset with Anna getting herself involved in helping Rose cover up her antics.

ETA: Thomas/Barrow back to his ways -- you knew it was only a matter of time. But glad that nasty Nanny West got the .
    Lady 2: there isn't anything about me on goooogle, I mean, I must take it off if there is.....
    Lady 3: The google is a terrible thing, I mean I don't want anything on there! (Overheard by millyskate on a London train.)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bostonfan View Post
    Let's talk about the real travesty that took place in this premiere : No canine butt shot in the opening credits!
    http://prettyfluffy.com/wp-content/u...y-Tail-wag.jpg

To those in the "know". I watched the first EP while working and missed few issues. Can someone help?

Q1: Why did Lady Mary fire the baby's nurse? Did the Nurse "say" or "do" something? I could not tell...

Q2: How did M-me Cora lose her maid? by some kind of "conspiracy" or "trick" from a relative's wife? Why was M-me Cora so upset about loosing a maid? Was that a special maid? I had an impression that after WWI english nobility was loosing money and estates, and had to let go many servants who desparately were seeking new positions....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinami Amori View Post

To those in the "know". I watched the first EP while working and missed few issues. Can someone help?

Q1: Why did Lady Mary fire the baby's nurse? Did the Nurse "say" or "do" something? I could not tell...

Q2: How did M-me Cora lose her maid? by some kind of "conspiracy" or "trick" from a relative's wife? Why was M-me Cora so upset about loosing a maid? Was that a special maid? I had an impression that after WWI english nobility was loosing money and estates, and had to let go many servants who desparately were seeking new positions....
    q1. Cora fired the nanny, she overheard the nanny talking nice to baby George and calling baby Sybil nasties names (halfbreed). Cora fired her on the sport in such a calm way

Q2 episode began w someone leaving downtown n leaving notes, and it was O'Brien. Actress left the show after least season and they had her in last seasons episode bond w the cousin in sScotland that was going tomIndia. O'Brien mentioned she wanted to travel and the cousins maid did not so O'Brien was offered the job as stated in the season opener.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dardar1126 View Post
    Though never called by name, the original Grantham dog was Pharaoh. He died at the end of Season 1, and Season 2 saw the arrival of Isis. If Isis was a big puppy at that time (mid-WWI) then she'd be approximately 6-8 years old by now.
    Thanks for the info! The dog in the opening credits is clearly a different dog from the one who plays Isis; the one in the credits is stockier and very masculine-looking, while Isis is delicate and feminine, so this makes a lot of sense. Thanks for the quotes, too.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldenLady View Post
    Thanks for the info! The dog in the opening credits is clearly a different dog from the one who plays Isis; the one in the credits is stockier and very masculine-looking, while Isis is delicate and feminine, so this makes a lot of sense. Thanks for the quotes, too.
    Quite a few dogs have been cast as Isis over the years.

It must be getting near time for Isis to pass on and the Earl of Grantham to get a new puppy. How many years have passed since the series began? Isis was an adult at the start of the series and appears not to have aged at all.

vCash
    Twitter:

DowntonAbbeyAddicts ‏@DowntonAbbeyAdd 1h
    Genius Downton Abbey Pick-Up Lines - Somee-cards has a post filled with hilarious Downton Abbey pick up lines all ... http://ow.ly/2CKRm1

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bostonfan View Post
    Let's talk about the real travesty that took place in this premiere : No canine butt shot in the opening credits!
    As followers of CuteOverload know ... the correct term when referring to animal butts is "tocks."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis@BC View Post
    As followers of CuteOverload know ... the correct term when referring to animal butts is "tocks."
    This is how Allen Leech/Tom Branson refers to it:

Allen Leech ‏@Allenleech 29 Sep
    Here we go dog Bum and Downton! Ep 2 x

vCash
    I also thought Lord Grantham was going to toss the letter - and Mary's legacy - into the fireplace. Nice touch, that fire.
    I am totally disappointed in the Eville Barrow rehash. Honestly. Lazy writing. So much to create drama about and they recycle this.
    I'm thinking Mary can learn estate management in, oh, 2 hours. Grantham was trying to sandbag her at the dinner. Pathetic. Hope he gets his, and gets it good in this season.
    I'm also hoping they continue Daisy's storyline with her father in law. I want her to ditch the kitchen and take up farming - get out from under the thumb of everyone and enjoy life a bit, and quit pining over the doofus footman who's chasing the *other* kitchenmaid.
    Looking forward to Rose's next affair. I get a kick out of her.

vCash
    http://www.complex.com/pop-culture/2...aracter-match/

What Your Favorite "Downton Abbey" Character Says About You
    BY COLLEEN THORNHILL | JAN 5, 2014 | 10:41 AM

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Well, yeah. The Dowager is all kinds of awesome.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Icetalavista View Post
    I also thought Lord Grantham was going to toss the letter - and Mary's legacy - into the fireplace. Nice touch, that fire.
    I am totally disappointed in the Eville Barrow rehash. Honestly. Lazy writing. So much to create drama about and they recycle this.
    I'm thinking Mary can learn estate management in, oh, 2 hours. Grantham was trying to sandbag her at the dinner. Pathetic. Hope he gets his, and gets it good in this season.
    I'm also hoping they continue Daisy's storyline with her father in law. I want her to ditch the kitchen and take up farming - get out from under the thumb of everyone and enjoy life a bit, and quit pining over the doofus footman who's chasing the *other* kitchenmaid.
    Looking forward to Rose's next affair. I get a kick out of her.
    See, again, I don't find the Earl's behavior deserving of any sort of comeuppance--Mary did need a kick to the pants, and the idea should just jump into management is, indeed, silly. She's going to be even more at sea than Branson (as last season and the Reggie Swire Inheritance Debacle demonstrates, she's really not that much better about money or estate planning than her father). It was a cruel way to do it, but sometimes you need a sledgehammer, not a feather pillow. She seems to have both snapped out of her apathy and realized that she SHOULD take an interest (not what he was going for, but what she needed) and realized she's going to need a LOT of help. Fortunately she seems to have realized she should pay attention to Branson on the subject.

As for Barrow, my real question is if he's going to be evil, why the fudge is he targeting ANNA? The "rivalry" with Bates is long gone--Barrow outranks him now, the issue of who's the valet is settled, and has he forgotten who exactly helped figure out how to scuttle O'Brien's manipulation to get him dismissed without reference? That's right, Bates. He barely knows Edna (can we get a new character whose name does not being with E, please?), he has zero reason to dislike Anna or Bates, and if he found out that Eddie Girl is scheming to snag Sybil's widower husband, given Barrow's major "pet the dog" last season, not to mention a point where he bonded with Anna, was how much he genuinely liked Sybil and how devastated he was by her death, how long is this alliance really going to last?

And I love that the Carnarvons call their Spaniels Naughty 1, 2, and 3. My dogs have names but I do at times refer to them as Big Pest, Little Pest, and Giant Economy-Size Pest...

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Did they replace the kid who played little Sybbie? Or did she just grow up?
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Japanfan View Post
    Quite a few dogs have been cast as Isis over the years.

It must be getting near time for Isis to pass on and the Earl of Grantham to get a new puppy. How many years have passed since the series began? Isis was an adult at the start of the series and appears not to have aged at all.
    Show began day Titanic sank, April 1912, and now it is 1922

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smurfy View Post
    But as someone pointed out up-thread, Isis was not the original lab (from the opening credits in seasons 1-3). Isis came some years later, around 1919 or so.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smurfy View Post
    As has been pointed out, "Isis" was not Lord Grantham's dog in series 1. IIRC, she arrived in season 2, which began set in late 1916.

Quote Originally Posted by Artemis@BC View Post
    But as someone pointed out up-thread, Isis was not the original lab (from the opening credits in seasons 1-3). Isis came some years later, around 1919 or so.
    I believe that Isis was around from the beginning of season 2 -- so, definitely before 1919.
    Lady 2: there isn't anything about me on goooogle, I mean, I must take it off if there is.....
    Lady 3: The google is a terrible thing, I mean I don't want anything on there! (Overheard by millyskate on a London train.)

vCash
    The episode where Isis got "lost" (i.e., Thomas hides her in the shed) was the Christmas special at the end of season 2, circa 1919. I'm picturing Isis as just a young'un then I think, maybe 6 mo to a year old -- it's certainly the first time I remember her being mentioned by name.

ETA: just checked the Downton Wiki and it appears there was a mention of her by name earlier in WWI, specifically in relation to turning Downton Abbey into a convalescent home. So 1916 or so?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    Did they replace the kid who played little Sybbie? Or did she just grow up?
    It's a different child from last year's baby Sybbie...a little toddler named Ava.

http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/news/10...s_Baby_Sybbie/

Bromley toddler gets taste of Downton Abbey life as Baby Sybbie

1:18pm Friday 16th August 2013 in News By Heloise Wood

************************************************** *****************************

They use twins to play baby George.

http://www.wetpaint.com/downton-abbe...y-george-twins

Downton Abbey Season 4: Who Are the Twins Who Play Baby George Crawley?

October 17, 2013 at 07:19PM EDT by Elisabeth Kramer

************************************************** *****************************

All the kids are so cute!

aspiring tri-national
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinami Amori View Post

Also, the family may have money problems again (they're setting it up that way with the "death duties" they keep talking about) but I think they'd be out there digging their own potatoes before the Countess would go without her lady's maid. That's the confidante position (although god knows Cora misplaced it with O'Brien) so I would imagine losing that person is a lot worse than replacing a random housemaid or footman.
    "Youth and vigor is no match for age and deceit." -- Prancer

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Thanks, dardar1126!

from Speedy Death

Page 5 of 36 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast