Page 34 of 36 FirstFirst ... 243233343536 LastLast
    vCash
    I got 80% even though I've seen the episode more than numerous times. I don't know........I like Julian Ovenden but that picture of him makes him look like Artful Dodger. I think for him like Matthew before him, he should mind his camera angles. Dan Stevens despite his beautiful looks had a weak chin and sometimes the camera did not flatter his profile at all. Ovenden sometimes appears even shorter than I think he is.

vCash
    Julian Ovenden is on Person of Interest tonight on CBS...he's playing a baddie with a beard!

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    I love Martha. One of my favorite scenes all season was when she sat down Lord Golddigger and told him to visit her at her cottage in Newport, where she'd introduce him to rich widows who would happily fund him in exchange for a title.

If she were really that mean, she would have married him and only let him know afterwards that the money was tied up in trust and going to her son when she died -- or at least have led him on until close to the ceremony -- and good luck getting a dime from him.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tamuno View Post
    I think most of the things Cora doesn't know is partly because Robert is actively keeping some from her, like the Thomas incident you know women's sensibility and all that. Robert believes firmly in this. Others seem to be that as long as she is not directly involved like the Pamuk scandal, she really has no one to tell her. She really needs a good ladies maid who likes her for herself and can give her good info about the happenings in her own house and not for how she can wheedle favours from her while playing her like a drum, the way O'Brien did.
    Cora needs an Anna. Someone who is unfailingly loyal and wants the best for you but will still tell you the truth when you ask for it ... and sometimes when you don't.

But maybe that kind of relationship can only happen when it's someone who's grown up with you.

vCash
    With regards to Edith, As I was rewatching Episode 1, the very first one I could not believe how catty and annoying Edith was. 'But what was Mary doing downstairs with the Duke?' It's just the servant quarters......but what we're you doing there? Ugh! I mean if I was standing next to her I would have stomped her feet. I truly don't feel sorry Edith and her odd one out-ness does not move me at all.
    I agree that in Season One, Edith was annoying as all heck. And the letter she wrote to the Turkish Embassy was horriby mean.

But 2 things about the Edith -Mary rivalry. First, Edith has almost completely let it go, and has done so for several seasons. Since Season One, Edith has hurled only a few zingers towards Mary. So the last time she really was an instigator was before the war. She's become much more mature and nicer since then. Mary, on the other hand, continues to pick on Edith all the time.

The second thing about their rivalry, which they both started to verbalize in the middle of season one was theirs was never a "fair" rivalry. By that I mean that Mary needed to be superior to Edith in every single way imaginable. Edith picked on Mary to show she was Mary's equal, whereas Mary picked on Edith to show she was Edith's superior. When Anthony, whom Mary didn't even want, began to show interest in Edith, Mary set out to demonstrate that she could indeed win "every prize." Both of them said that. Mary wanted to be more loved, more important, more admired...Edith never wanted to be more anything, she was just trying to be considered equally important.
    Last edited by mikemba; 03-05-2014 at 08:46 PM.

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    i have a strong desire to punch edith every time she is on screen

::it's a show it's a show::
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    With regards to Edith, As I was rewatching Episode 1, the very first one I could not believe how catty and annoying Edith was. 'But what was Mary doing downstairs with the Duke?' It's just the servant quarters......but what we're you doing there? Ugh! I mean if I was standing next to her I would have stomped her feet. I truly don't feel sorry Edith and her odd one out-ness does not move me at all.
    Exactly. In series 1 in particular, Edith's not exactly the innocent bystander, she's just less-sophisticated about getting her digs in than Mary, who can time her snark well. She also, I think, enjoyed rubbing in to Mary that she was grieving more than Mary for Patrick and I suspect even before he died this wasn't the start of her picking at her sister out of jealousy. If anything she's learned to pick her battles.

I don't think Edith getting asked to dance less than the Dowager is about much more than etiquette demands Violet get asked by SOMEONE.

aspiring tri-national
    vCash
    Finally watched the finale last night. Aw. Some nice moments. But not an OMG-what-will-happen-next kind of episode. But then, it isn't Scandal....

Twas interesting to see Rose self-possessed and quite impressive with royalty, clearly she knows how to behave when she wants to. And I would lock Violet and Isabel in a carriage with a camera for an entire episode, they are by far my favorite duo.

I'm sort of sorry to discover that Charles is a scion. I'm firmly on his team, like the chemistry (and his politics ) and wanted Mary to end up with another non-toff. I think Matthew's middle-class background had a great impact in broadening her mind and outlook and I want the process to continue. Chilly lady, but certainly intelligent. And snarky.
    "Youth and vigor is no match for age and deceit." -- Prancer

From the Bloc
    vCash
    I actually like the idea of Mary with someone titled and all that; in fact I'd rather she marry above her position into a family that is fabulously wealthy with beautiful houses full of servants and 12 pieces of silver at every meal. I'd love to see Mary head of a big household and let Tom and Edith be the landowners and muck about with the pigs.

vCash
    Frankly I think Blake's toff-ness will have no bearing on his views. He's a Lloyd George liberal.

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    Frankly I think Blake's toff-ness will have no bearing on his views. He's a Lloyd George liberal.
    i look forward to him calling hitler the greatest living german

should be fun if edith's baby daddy ever returns
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by my little pony View Post
    i look forward to him calling hitler the greatest living german

should be fun if edith's baby daddy ever returns
    For the record I was talking about Charles Blake not Michael Gregson who is in Munich and fathered Edith' s child.
    I also liked almost everything Mrs Levinson wore especially the white one she wore when they were trying to get her to go to the theatre. That one was fantastic and looked like something a rich lady might wear today.

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    For the record I was talking about Charles Blake not Michael Gregson who is in Munich and fathered Edith' s child.
    yes, that's who i thought you were talking about

vCash
    Twitter:

Masterpiece PBS ‏@masterpiecepbs 32m
    NEW #DowntonPBS video: The Unsung Heroes-Isis
    "You know-for a trained dog, she's not very well behaved." ~@Allenleech
    http://to.pbs.org/1fpgTOt

vCash
    I've read the dog has a bit of a canine crush on Allen Leech and the trainers sometimes find it hard to get her to stay with Hugh Bonneville because she wants to go to Allen all the time.

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by centerstage01 View Post
    I've read the dog has a bit of a canine crush on Allen Leech and the trainers sometimes find it hard to get her to stay with Hugh Bonneville because she wants to go to Allen all the time.
    Especially having seen him (and I do mean almost ALL of him) on HBO's "Rome"...I really can't blame the dog that much.

vCash
    Twitter:

Masterpiece PBS ‏@masterpiecepbs 51m
    New #DowntonPBS video: Hopes for Season 5 from the cast - http://to.pbs.org/1dAbLVG @hughbon @Carmichelle @Allenleech @lesley_nicol

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    Lucky folks in the Toronto area: "Dressing for Downton" exhibit at the Spadina Museum, March 11 - Apr 13.

vCash
    Twitter:

broadway.com ‏@broadwaycom 19m
    Charles Edwards on DOWNTON ABBEY buzz, his J-Law moment & learning from Angela Lansbury in London's BLITHE SPIRIT: http://bit.ly/1nU0B1a

vCash
    http://www.thirteen.org/program-cont...eason-4-recap/

The Downton Abbey Dish Season 4 Recap

Page 34 of 36 FirstFirst ... 243233343536 LastLast