Page 29 of 36 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by my little pony View Post
    how much can edith inherit if michael was still married when he was apparently killed by nazis? and if she has her own money and she wants baby schroeder in geneva so much, move someplace they dont know you and raise it. now she's going to force it on this mr truitt, whoever he is, and i guess stare through their front window.
    Good points....

And it did sound a bit like "Mr. Truitt"...but I watched my DVD of the episode and she does say "Mr. Drewe."

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    honestly, i think edith really likes mr drewe and since he would be her 3rd romantic interest with a wife, doesnt mind all that.

it is interesting that she wont leave her life of luxury, for a still rather luxurious life to raise her baby. but she had no problem yanking the baby from what i suspect was a rather comfortable home to go live as a tenant on the outskirts of downton.
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

From the Bloc
    vCash
    honestly, i think edith really likes mr drewe and since he would be her 3rd romantic interest with a wife, doesnt mind all that.

it is interesting that she wont leave her life of luxury, for a still rather luxurious life to raise her baby. but she had no problem yanking the baby from what i suspect was a rather comfortable home to go live as a tenant on the outskirts of downton.
    The thing that bugged me is that Drewe came up with the idea of lying to his own wife about a baby you know she'd be 90% responsible for in favour of keeping a secret for milady, and Edith, who you'd think would know better by now, was cool with that.

Perhaps they are setting up a storyline for season 2.

vCash
    Twitter:

Masterpiece PBS ‏@masterpiecepbs 12m
    NEW #DowntonPBS video: Series historical advisor Alistair Bruce on Lady Edith's dilemma - http://to.pbs.org/NrDVrO

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    The whole Prince of Wales thing was a happy surprise for me being unspoiled - really enjoyed that part of the story.
    I was unspoiled on that too but as soon as I saw that the "special" episode was called "The London Season," I wondered/hoped if we might see the appearance of a certain infamous royal party-boy. Didn't expect him to feature so heavily in the storyline, though!

I also am glad that we got something I'd been hoping for since the beginning: finally getting to see Grantham House. I loved, loved, loved that red parlour!

But here's a question as something didn't ring right for me. How did Bates know they were looking for a letter? Because I thought he only knew from the text of his forgery that they needed to get Sampson out of his apartment so they could find *something*.
    Yes, that was a little off, but it didn't bug me nearly as much as the business of the train ticket. So, Bates gets panicky when Anna takes his old coat -- presumably because he wonders if he's left the incriminating ticket in the pocket ... so why on earth did he keep the ticket in the first place? For eight freakin' months?!? Criminal mastermind, but can't manage to throw out or destroy the one piece of evidence that would link him to the scene of the almost perfect crime?

The thing that bugged me is that Drewe came up with the idea of lying to his own wife about a baby you know she'd be 90% responsible for in favour of keeping a secret for milady, and Edith, who you'd think would know better by now, was cool with that. Perhaps they are setting up a storyline for season 2.
    That was my thought too. There's something not quite right about him. Does he see through Edith's lie about it being a "friend's" baby (having put 2 and 2 together since she'd been gone for so long), and is preparing to blackmail her? Nothing in his behaviour thus far has been anything but honourable, but he just seems so brooding, and after the quick lie ...

But all in all I was quite satisfied with this episode. No one died, no great cliffhangers, and still lots of setups for future storylines.

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    The other unexpected delight for me was Paul Giametti as Uncle Harold - great casting, and I loved the character he put together. I hope we see him again on his way back through after the grand tour! Also loved that he and Martha didn't fall for any of the con artists for even a second - unlike the Earl, who not only fell prey to Sampson the first time around, but of course also made some very bad investments too. at Martha saying she has a "cottage" in Newport - perhaps this cozy little abode?
    LOL, well, she did refer to it as "what they CALL" a cottage....I'm sure he's fully aware what that means in Newport!

Paul Giamatti is a brilliant actor. I loved him in John Adams and he was great here as the not-so-naive-as-he-looks American Abroad. Though I suspect at least where the young lady was concerned he was selling himself a little shorter than deserved. (And he's well out of Teapot Dome!)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis@BC View Post
    ... but it didn't bug me nearly as much as the business of the train ticket. So, Bates gets panicky when Anna takes his old coat -- presumably because he wonders if he's left the incriminating ticket in the pocket ... so why on earth did he keep the ticket in the first place? For eight freakin' months?!? Criminal mastermind, but can't manage to throw out or destroy the one piece of evidence that would link him to the scene of the almost perfect crime?
    I know - right? Really, it's a freakin train ticket, the one thing that could incriminate you, and you couldn't take a second to THROW IT AWAY?!?

Does he see through Edith's lie about it being a "friend's" baby (having put 2 and 2 together since she'd been gone for so long), and is preparing to blackmail her? Nothing in his behaviour thus far has been anything but honourable, but he just seems so brooding, and after the quick lie ....
    He totally saw through it, and is even willing to keep the truth from hos wife. I don't think he'll be blackmailing her. Remember, he was the one the Grantham's decided to let stay, even though they could've taken over the farm. He owes them one. I'd be more worried that Thomas will somehow find out.

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash

To be fair, it's not just leaving "a life of luxury", it's leaving her family and her home plus the perceived shaming from them (Edith really doesn't have much reason to believe her parents really WOULD love her in spite of everything--pretty Mary and her Pamuk problem, sure, they always liked Mary best, Sibyl runs off with the chauffeur and well of course, she's the baby of the family, they couldn't stay mad, but unlucky old Edith with her string of unsuitable suitors? Well, that's what you get, isn't it, when no decent man shows an interest and who would, she's just plain old Edith.) Given the society involved she really couldn't even trust her free-wheeling American grandmother to be sympathetic so being shipped off to America wouldn't be an option. She doesn't have any real job skills other than writing (and that's now tied up largely with Gregson), there aren't really a lot of options for a single mother. Her problem is really she isn't taking the only really fair option for the baby and letting her be raised far away in a solid family. In a weird way Ethel was in a better position-there was no question what happened to the father (dead), and oddly because of her lower social status she has a better chance of staying a distant part of Charlie's life than Edith will staying casually on the fringes of her daughter's.

vCash
    And meanwhile we still don't know what Thomas is holding over Baxter! But I'm loving the friendship between Baxter and Poor Molesly, they bring out the best in each other.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    I figured going to America wasn't an option because she's still not certain what happened to Gregson, so doesn't want to be on the other side of the ocean. Otherwise it's the perfect option - she could be positioned as a widow (sorta true) with a child, and with her family's connections would have no trouble fitting into society while remaining close to her daughter and still having the life she's used to. It's not like she'd miss her family at home - her sister hates her, and she doesn't feel close enough to her parents to even tell them about the baby, and doesn't seem particularly concerned about her daughter growing up knowing her cousins, aunt and grandparents.

But we need to keep all the players as close to Downton as possible for plot purposes, so decision made.

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    To be fair, it's not just leaving "a life of luxury", it's leaving her family and her home plus the perceived shaming from them .
    i dont think she would miss them or vice versa, and if she went someplace else, she wouldnt get any shaming

although i suppose the real issue keeping her there is they cant lose another family member and i should remember it is a tv show, poor me
    Last edited by my little pony; 02-24-2014 at 08:01 PM.
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dardar1126 View Post
    One of my favorite snarky recap sites:

http://www.thirteen.org/program-cont...ason-4-finale/

THE DOWNTON ABBEY DISH – Downton Abbey Season 4 Recap: Episode 8 (aired 02/23/2014)
    Between this and the facebook recap....

vCash
    i dont think she would miss them or vice versa, and if she went someplace else, she wouldnt get any shaming

although i suppose the real issue keeping her there is they cant lose another family member and i should remember it is a tv show, poor me
    Yes, bringing in a "natural daughter" of Lord Grantham at this late date as a replacement would strain storyline/his characterization just a bit too much. And I'm pretty sure that Laura Carmichael is eager to retain her acting gig on Downton.
    Lady 2: there isn't anything about me on goooogle, I mean, I must take it off if there is.....
    Lady 3: The google is a terrible thing, I mean I don't want anything on there! (Overheard by millyskate on a London train.)

vCash
    That seems unlikely while the question of what happened to Gregson is still unanswered. I don't see her pursuing another romantic relationship while things are still up in the air.

And I don't think Edith currently sees anything in Drewe other than as a capable man who can be trusted to look after her daughter nearby. That could change of course, but for now ...

Meanwhile I'm still expecting "Patrick" to return at some point ...

vCash
    Edith's plotline reminds me very much of Dorothy L. Sayers, one of my all-time favorite writers (author of the Lord Peter Wimsey series). Her cousin raised her illegitimate son for her, with Sayers quietly paying all expenses, and she never told her parents she had a child. I wonder if Julian Fellowes knew the story.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    I thought that was fun and prophetic--I mean the cat fight between Mrs. Levinson and the dowager. As much as I love the countess, which is a lot, I think Mrs. Levinson won that round. Sumptuous party, bling and gowns!
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Forgot to say: I can live without ever seeing Martha again -- I don't think they're making the best use of her, and the Violet-Isabel verbal sparring matches are far more entertaining than the Violet-Martha ones. But I loved Harold. Paul Giamatti can do no wrong in my view, and it was a terrific storyline they wrote for him.

I really don't understand why he and the honourable Miss Allsopp couldn't pursue a relationship, though, now that they both like each other for who they are rather than for her father's gold-digging motives. But maybe we'll see them both again next season -- I really liked her too, and I think she's a sensible friend for Rose.

(But if they do bring Harold back ... please leave Mr Slade out of it. He's done his bit by boosting Daisy's ego, we don't need him or his terrible "American" accent any more. If they want to use British actors to play Americans, surely they can find ones that can manage the accent? Charles Ross was almost as bad.)

vCash
    Tom&Lorenzo's recaps are always fun and fabulous!

http://tomandlorenzo.com/2014/02/dow...-and-intrigue/

DOWNTON ABBEY: TIARAS AND INTRIGUE

Posted on February 24, 2014

vCash
    Wasn't Allsop one of Princess Diana's connections?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JasperBoy View Post
    Wasn't Allsop one of Princess Diana's connections?
    Do you mean Althorp, the Spencer family estate (and Diana's burial site)?
    Lady 2: there isn't anything about me on goooogle, I mean, I must take it off if there is.....
    Lady 3: The google is a terrible thing, I mean I don't want anything on there! (Overheard by millyskate on a London train.)

Page 29 of 36 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 ... LastLast