Page 20 of 36 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast
    Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis@BC View Post
    That whole dynamic underscores what I loved so much about this series and others from that period: here's a group of women who were making an incredible contribution to the war effort, but once the war was over it was back to the kitchen, pretend like nothing happened.
    The fun of covert work...my friend in college's father worked for a government agency. She actually did not know which one officially. He could't tell his own family. (However, it isn't that hard to guess which it was and if he's reading this post..please don't tap my cell phone, it's not that interesting.)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PRlady View Post
    The scene with Mary, Isabel and Tom talking about how they felt when they were in love with their late spouses made me weepy. It was the single best scene in Downton Abbey ever as far as I'm concerned and Isabel nailed it when she talked about how lucky they were. The affection and warmth in the room was so moving.

It was so poignant and beautiful, and it went by too quickly, like youth.

Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    Well, Napier's not really an instantly thing. He would be more a case of "First Guy Wins" as they knew each other and were corresponding way back when Matthew was still beneath her. He just ended up collateral damage to the Pamuk Issue (and learned a lesson about bringing subjectively handsome exotic foreigners with alley-cat morals as your plus-one to a weekend hunting party.) He clearly has been carrying a torch for her and figures well, now, the field's clear, but is taking a less desperate-seeming route than Gillingham.
    LOL!!! Love that
    Last edited by Coco; 02-09-2014 at 12:49 AM.
    Keeper of Nathalie Pechelat's bitchface.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    So Lady Mary and the late Lady Sybil are getting on with their careers. Yesterday I saw a trailer of Winter's Tale starring Jessica Brown Findlay, Colin Farrell and Russell Crowe. This was followed by a trailer of an action flick with Michelle Dockery, called Non-Stop with Liam Neeson and Julianne Moore.

Go Crawley girls!
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    lady edith, on the sidelines again
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by my little pony View Post
    lady edith, on the sidelines again
    Oh I wouldn't feel too bad for Lady Edith

http://www.celebitchy.com/wp-content...Benedict16.jpg

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    Speaking of let's not feel sorry for Edith ... I watched one of the behind-the-scenes bits for this season and they were talking about that fantastic gown Edith wore when she met up with Gregson at the hotel earlier this season. You know, the green one with the beaded bodice and the big slit up one leg. Anyway, they were all so pleased with this particular gown that they gave it a name. And they called it ... Beadith.

vCash
    Who loved this episode as much I did? Is it me or does Mary roll her eyes at Napier when he wants to get chatty?

vCash
    This was a strong episode. I've watched all the remaining episodes via DVD, and they are all quite strong, building to some very interesting loose ends/cliffhangers.

I liked the tender scenes between Isobel and Violet.

The muddy pig rescue was quite amusing!

I like the new woman that Tom met at the political rally...potential love interest?

Rose and Jack are taking some big risks for their day and age.

Heart-breaking to see Edith's painful struggle over what to do about her pregnancy...at this point she has nothing but difficult choices.

I loved Mrs. Hughes verbally taking down Mr. Green. But now Bates knows the truth, so Mr. Green's days are numbered...in one way or another. If LOOKS could kill, he'd be dead!

EDIT: Via Twitter...

Masterpiece PBS ‏@masterpiecepbs 14m
    ICYMI last night: #DowntonPBS S4E6 is now available to watch online, for a limited time - http://to.pbs.org/LXvfJj
    Masterpiece PBS ‏@masterpiecepbs 5m
    TODAY at 1pm ET: Join our Live Chat with #DowntonPBS' @JulianOvenden! Info/reminder - http://to.pbs.org/1bWsv57
    He plays Charles Blake.
    Last edited by dardar1126; 02-10-2014 at 03:46 PM.

vCash
    Heart-breaking to see Edith's painful struggle over what to do about her pregnancy...at this point she has nothing but difficult choices.
    Especially in that time and place.

vCash
    BTW, I read that Lord Grantham's trip to America storyline was written so that Hugh Bonneville could take time off to film The Monuments Men film.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tamuno View Post
    Who loved this episode as much I did? Is it me or does Mary roll her eyes at Napier when he wants to get chatty?
    She is definitely not encouraging him.

vCash
    Things I liked:

Isobel and Tom's chat in the car, including the wonderful scenery. By the way, they are showing more of the grounds this season than ever before and I love it.

Rosamund's support of Edith, and Edith's decision to keep the baby. I did think that Rosamund's complete support was a little unexpected and out of character. Nonetheless, I am glad that someone from Edith's family really cares about her and is willing to put in some time to support her. Everyone else either ignores her, or tells her off when she has a problem and walks away.

Tom's return to some political activity.

Violet's nonsensical ramblings while she was sick.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ssminnow View Post
    Oh I wouldn't feel too bad for Lady Edith

http://www.celebitchy.com/wp-content...Benedict16.jpg
    You go Lady Edith!!
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

vCash
    Link to full interview:

http://www.thewire.com/entertainment...y-pigs/357879/

6 HRS AGO / ENTERTAINMENT
    Julian Ovenden, the New Man of 'Downton,' Discusses Frisky Pigs
    ESTHER ZUCKERMAN
    Last edited by dardar1126; 02-10-2014 at 07:01 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dardar1126 View Post
    I like the new woman that Tom met at the political rally...potential love interest?
    I'm assuming so. But what are Tom's politics now is indeed the question!

It was driving my nuts where I'd seen the actor before, she was familiar with such a distinctive look & voice, but I couldn't place her. Then it came to me: she'd been in an episode of Lewis. (The episode called "The Quality of Mercy," where she played the very sure-of-herself student director of The Merchant of Venice.)

My favourite moment in the episode though was when Violet and Isobel were playing gin, and Violet said "Oh, goody goody." Right out of Gosford Park, down to the breakfast tray in front of her. I've been waiting for that since the beginning of the series!

vCash
    BTW, anyone else think it was more than a tad unbelievable for Mary to be able to scramble eggs? When Mrs Patmore taught Sybil how to cook all those years ago it was because Sybil was applying for the nursing course, and didn't want to turn up without any skills whatsoever -- and that seemed to be the only reason to justify it. I know a lot of time has passed since then, and Mary has grown and softened, but still, for her of all people to learn how to cook scrambled eggs (not even boiled eggs, scrambled!) seemed a bit . Especially since she obviously hasn't spent enough time in the kitchen to even learn Ivy's name. A small matter, of course, but it seemed too convenient -- and unnecessary, when she's already showed Charles that she's willing to muck in (literally!) with the pigs.

vCash
    Since Matthew was raised in a much more average, "normal" lifestyle, I could see where Mary might have made an effort to learn some rudimentary cooking skills for when they were on their own without servants (which could have happened from time to time).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis@BC View Post
    BTW, anyone else think it was more than a tad unbelievable for Mary to be able to scramble eggs? .

Well, she has been married...."I know everything".

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by znachki View Post
    Well, she has been married...."I know everything".

("... and by everything I mean penises" -- Facebook recap)

Quote Originally Posted by dardar1126 View Post
    Since Matthew was raised in a much more average, "normal" lifestyle, I could see where Mary might have made an effort to learn some rudimentary cooking skills for when they were on their own without servants (which could have happened from time to time).
    No, I don't think that would have happened. Ever. It might have if they were living in "Crawley House" (or whatever it's called, where Isobel lives), but their entire married life was spent at Downton Abbey. And there would never be a time when Downton Abbey was without kitchen staff while any member of the family was in residence -- and even when they're not.

But it's hard for me to be too critical of that one detail, when Mary looked so darned proud of herself.
    Last edited by Artemis@BC; 02-10-2014 at 10:42 PM.

Page 20 of 36 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast