Page 14 of 36 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Yes, Dr. Clarkson's first name is Richard. He's certainly doing all he can to get Isobel back to her old self. I'm still rooting for them to get together romantically.

I'm glad that Bates and Anna have cleared the air and are back together. But I would not want to be Mr. Green...his days are definitely numbered.

Baxter, Cora's new lady's maid, seems quite willing to spy for Thomas, but I don't sense that she has an agenda of her own. It will be interesting to find out more about her.

I agree that using sad-sack Mr. Molesley as comic bait is getting old...as is the love square between Daisy-Alfred-Ivy-Jimmy.

I think Edith is definitely "in the family way," as they say. I wonder why Gregson is off the grid, and how he'll greet the news?

It was nice to see the children, and to see that Tom and Mary are actually PARENTS! I think the whole moving-to-America idea is a tease...they won't want to lose Tom...unless we have yet ANOTHER CONTRACT about to expire!

I thought we'd see more of Charles Blake this week...guess we have to wait until next week.

And now we know how Jack Ross will be brought back into the picture...Rose is going to hire him to entertain at Robert's birthday party. Otherwise they'd have to have Rose in London and frequenting the Lotus Club quite often!

From the Bloc
    vCash
    I never liked Bates and still don't. Not happy his story is continuing in this manner. The real story should be Anna's dealing with this horrible thing, and the actress is certainly up to it. I would have much rather seen more of her dealing with it, how it's affecting their relationship, the moral question of letting it go vs pursuing it for the sake of other victims of Green or rape in general, Anna's relationship with Mary, Hughes' choices in supporting Anna, etc. Instead it's back to Bates' own dark side and another "will he go to prison or not" storyline. It should be about Anna, not Bates.

Totally agree with your assessment of Edna and how one dimensional the character was. Why did they even bother bringing her back? For a cheap three way "who's pregnant" SL? It didn't further anything.

Hopefully Baxter proves more interesting. Clearly Barrow has something on her - I get the feeling she's not nasty per se, but owes him something big. At this point I would also love to hear word of O'Brien's world travels

Also agree re Moseley. Find something for him to do or just end it already. There were times when he was a sympathetic character or an amusing break from the action, but now he's just an annoying penny that keeps turning up. I'd much rather spend the air time exploring the more interesting characters and storylines.

I must say Isobel is growing on me, and I enjoy her relationship with the Dowager Countess

Can someone remind me how they all know Napier please?

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dardar1126 View Post

And now we know how Jack Ross will be brought back into the picture...Rose is going to hire him to entertain at Robert's birthday party. Otherwise they'd have to have Rose in London frequenting the Lotus Club quite often!
    Yes I thought that too! Not sure if we already discussed this, but apparently the character is based on a notorious figure in London society at the time - Leslie "Hutch" Hutchinson.

Also enjoying the whole symbolism of London that seems to be running throughout this season.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    Can someone remind me how they all know Napier please?
    He was the man who brought Mr. Pamuk to Downton. Napier is a family friend, and tried to court Mary...but she wasn't interested. He also met with her at Lady Rosamund's house to tell her about the rumors swirling about her and Pamuk; he assured her he had not revealed her secret, but that Lady Edith had written the letter to the Turkish ambassador.

It seems that Mary is much happier to see him this time.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Oh that reminded me that Edith wrote that letter.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    So, they rehashed:
    -evil Thomas's machinations with a THIRD lady's maid
    -Daisy's unrequited romance w/ Alfred
    -Grantham's financial shenanigans, albeit for a good cause and for not much money
    -violent Bates's revenge fantasies
    -Lady Mary's continuing line of potential suitors

While ignoring:
    -Edith's interesting business meeting in London. At least she continues to have a great wardrobe.

They don't need to jump the shark yet, but they need to stop recycling plots!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Icetalavista View Post
    -Grantham's financial shenanigans, albeit for a good cause and for not much money
    About 2,400 pounds in todays money (it's 1922)

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Icetalavista View Post
    While ignoring:
    -Edith's interesting business meeting in London. At least she continues to have a great wardrobe.
    She told her family she was going to Gregson's office, so I too thought we'd get more on that document she signed and/or why she hadn't heard from him. But in fact that was a lie - she was headed to the doctor instead.

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    jack definitely wasnt cast for his singing ability so i expect to see more of him. he sounded like he was under water.
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mikemba View Post
    -- entire post --
    ITA -- pretty much exactly what I came in to post.

Except to say that I wasn't 100% if I remembered correctly who Napier was, and had to double-check on the Downton wiki.

And in addition to Isobel being "back to normal" because of Violet bickering with her ... it was also back to normal for Mary because of her bickering with Edith. About men.

BTW, I wonder if there really was such a program in the 1920s of the government (was it Min of Ag?) going around checking out old family estates. Seems far too, I don't know ... logical to me.

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    i think the guy taking over his dad's farm is cuter than anyone edith ever dallied with, is he unmarried?
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

vCash
    Just popping back in to say I love this thread. If you can believe this, I never even heard of "Downton Abbey" until after the 3rd season was completed in America. I caught up on Seasons 1-3 over the summer, but had no one to discuss it with. It's so great watching Season 4 and getting to chat about it the next day with all of you! I really enjoy reading everybody's thoughts.

ETA: My Little Pony, I didn't catch whether that man was married or not. So far, I like Michael Gregson, but if it does not work out with him, I'd really like to see Edith meet some nice, uncomplicated (single) man. Two of the three men she was ever shown kissing were married, and her family went out of their way to ruin things with Anthony Strallan. Oh, she also had feelings for Patrick, who may have loved her back, but was engaged to Mary. She is more than overdue for some romantic happiness.
    Last edited by mikemba; 01-27-2014 at 07:05 PM.

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    The Happy Place - Facebook recap is up!

"Another beast of circuitry and automation has invade my place of work! Comrades, I fear the end is upon us! I cannot hold my shores against the persistent armies of the mechanized future!"

"When you're done with that, I can think of another tart who can use some filling."

Last edited by Artemis@BC; 01-27-2014 at 07:36 PM.

vCash
    Mrs. Hughes shared a link from happyplace.com with Mr. Bates

Mr. Bates and Anna Bates have checked into The Scene Everyone's Been Waiting For For Several Episodes Now"

From the Bloc
    vCash
    I like the one where Edith is trying to turn off her location app

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mikemba View Post

I love that Evelyn Napier is back -- he was such a nice man.
    I was like AWWWWWWWW....I felt so bad for him in his last appearance, stuck playing second fiddle to slimy (albeit karmically doomed) Pamuk.

I laughed out loud when the only modern step Mrs. Patmore would like to take is to get rid of her corset!
    Funny, but she's clearly not wearing anything doing any serious tight-lacing and really wouldn't be wearing a corset at all unless she's also into retro fashion as they were pretty much out of fashion by then. A lot of people like to point out that even Rose in Titanic really shouldn't be in the kind of corset she's in for the 'lacing-up' scene in 1912 as they were already going out of style.

John Bates -- at first I was pleased to see how truly sad he was about the rape, and how completely understanding, compassionate, and supportive he was. But, once again, he is determined to "protect Anna's honor" by doing something Anna would hate for him to do. Why does his love for her always seem to sour into something in which he runs completely over what she wants?

ETA: I somehow forgot how violent Mr. Bates was in pressing Mrs. Hughes. That was inappropriate, and more than a little scary.
    On the one hand I sympathize (I get "anger" a lot better than "shame" and in Anna's situation it would not be her HUSBAND they'd have to worry about committing murder) with his being frustrated by Anna apparently having a complete personality transplant and essentially walking out on their marriage. On the other hand, I'm like "Am I going to have to bust out all my Series 3 'prison changes a man' jokes again?"

vCash
    ETA: I somehow forgot how violent Mr. Bates was in pressing Mrs. Hughes. That was inappropriate, and more than a little scary.

Why do people dislike this scene? I thought it portrayed a man who had reached the end of his tether and desperately needed answers. This was his only (realistic, I thought), and last resort. I am sure he would rather Mrs Hughes not be involved but she is. So what's he to do.........? As for people moaning that this should be Anna's story, Anna's attempt to get over this strictly, almost exclusively her point of view, I really don't see how it can be. She is married and part of her healing and accepting what happened depends on how the person she cares most about accepts her afterwards. Is this not a normal human reaction? She has to be made to 'feel' normal again. Considering there was no counseling or support group or such 21st century contraptions, Bates is the only one whose support will matter.
    Her concern both for herself and her future is double-edged here - fear of pregnancy, feeling 'soiled', her husband and how he would react? How WOULD he react? Suppose he kills him or assaults him? What will become of me/us? I thought it was covered very well by the show. I guess what I am saying is that there is NO WAY it can be strictly only about Anna's internalizing of her feelings of violation.

Mikemba,
    I always like newcomers to the show. As to your previous ponderings, My take is that Carson has been with Robert since time immemorial and Mrs. Hughes not long after that. I remember that scene with Hughes and Carson about her previous life but I don't recall anything she may have said that confuses their timeline of service. I may have to rewatch.

I did not like that story about Robert and Jane. I don't know that it was out of character, more like us getting to know and understand Robert's feeling of 'smallness' and uselessness during the war. If you remember Cora 'found' her self also by doing the soup kitchen, running the convalescent home etc. and Robert was not having lunch with her anymore (or doing much of anything else). Enter this maid who looked like Cora and offered her understanding. I did not like it but accepted it as a low moment in Robert's life.

As far as I can see, Matthew or the family did not know Carslyle before he was introduced to them. At least that's how I read the plot. Lavinia knew him but did not know he was Mary's finance. The family had heard of him as a newspaper man but based on the family's conversations, they were making his acquaintance for the first time. As for Swire fortune, maybe he got it AFTER the Marconi scandal and did not have it at the time Richard called in the debt? I may be missing some things but this is my take.

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis@BC View Post
    The Happy Place - Facebook recap is up!

"Another beast of circuitry and automation has invade my place of work! Comrades, I fear the end is upon us! I cannot hold my shores against the persistent armies of the mechanized future!"

"When you're done with that, I can think of another tart who can use some filling."

Jimmy Kent: "Bet that's not a hard group to get into."
    Nobody likes this and everyone thinks Jimmy Kent is an ahole.

vCash
    Countess Violet: The only poet peer I am familiar with is Lord Byron and I presume we all know how that ended.
    Violet, how could you have forgotten Tennyson?

Celebrating Jeremy Abbott's FS at 2014 Worlds...
    vCash
    First post in this thread -- I'd been interested in DA for over a year, but I don't have Netflix , and it drives me crazy to start watching a serial in the middle, so when our local PBS affiliate began running marathons during their fundraising in December (also to prepare for the Season 4 premiere), I parked my fat ass in front of the TV with a big bowl of strawberries and sugared sour cream (or an equivalent type of snack) every Saturday night for 3-4 hours and got caught up.

I'm in agreement with most opinions in this thread, but I do have to say that while I like the coupling of Anna/Mr. Bates, it drives me ballybonkers at times. It's as though they have two speeds - all shmoopy-woopy, or angsty at-the-cliff-of-death . Honesty to god, if I didn't know better, I'd swear they were Bo and Hope Brady with the bi-polar modes of their relationship/trials and tribulations they must bear .

Watching Rose, there are a lot of times I look at her and see a very young, ca. 1970s Jessica Lange (minus the Midwest accent ).

Also, if I have my back turned to the TV so I can't see the characters, and Mrs. Hughes starts talking, she often sounds exactly (pitch, tone, accent, grammar, etc.) like Mrs. Doubtfire .

Page 14 of 36 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast