Page 35 of 36 FirstFirst ... 2533343536 LastLast
    I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    No, youarenotright: I'm not on the Mrs. Hughes and Carson bandwagon. She deserves way better than him .
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Not to change the subject, but any of you folks into Call the Midwife? Another British PBS show?

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_Fever View Post
    Not to change the subject, but any of you folks into Call the Midwife? Another British PBS show?
    Very much so! New season starts this Sunday, I'm very excited.

Check out the "All Things PBS" thread.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis@BC View Post
    Very much so! New season starts this Sunday, I'm very excited.

Check out the "All Things PBS" thread.
    Cool. Thanks.

vCash
    http://www.breathecast.com/articles/...pivotal-14847/

'Downton Abbey' Season 5 Spoilers, Release Date: Lady Mary Actress Plans to Stick with the Show Until the End; Julian Fellowes Feels Maggie Smith’s Role is Pivotal
    By Louis Kahn, BREATHEcast News Reporter
    Mar 31, 2014 12:33 PM EDT

vCash
    I love Call the Midwife as well. Perhaps all the childbirth moans are not appealing to all but it is so well written and I adore the characters - especially Chummy.
    pug lover

vCash
    New Sybbie!

http://professionalfangirls.com/2014...ng-cast-guide/

‘Downton Abbey’ Season 5 New and Returning Cast Guide
    APRIL 3, 2014 BY KIM CLARKSON
    Last edited by dardar1126; 04-05-2014 at 03:31 PM.

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    is it wrong that i am relieved that this one is prettier than the last one?
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

vCash
    The new Sybbie is so cute! Also - DUCKFACE!!!! (Anyone who hasn't seen Four Weddings won't get it) - she should be perfect as Lady Anstruther. Can't wait til the new season starts!

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    The new Sybbie is a doll.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    The new Sybbie is a doll.
    Always like it when this thread is a the top and not inactive. The important thing is that this one looks like the older version of the current Sybbie.

vCash
    Non-spoilery:

http://professionalfangirls.com/new-...ham-mr-carson/

New ‘Downton Abbey’ Season 5 Set Photos: The Dowager, Isobel, Lord Grantham, Mr Carson
    APRIL 23, 2014 BY KIM CLARKSON

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dardar1126 View Post
    Non-spoilery:

http://professionalfangirls.com/new-...ham-mr-carson/

New ‘Downton Abbey’ Season 5 Set Photos: The Dowager, Isobel, Lord Grantham, Mr Carson
    APRIL 23, 2014 BY KIM CLARKSON
    I can always count on you for updates. Thanks! Looking forward to season 5!

vCash

Here's some more:

Downton Abbey first look: Michelle Dockery, Hugh Bonneville film series 5
    By Naomi Gordon
    Thursday, Apr 24 2014, 10:49am EDT

Read more: http://www.digitalspy.com/british-tv...#ixzz2zqy6kEgM
    Follow us: @digitalspy on Twitter | digitalspyuk on Facebook

vCash
    That baby Sybbie link no longer works -- here's an updated one:

http://professionalfangirls.com/down...ng-cast-guide/

She IS cute, but I thought the previous Sybbie was cute too.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyliefan View Post
    That baby Sybbie link no longer works -- here's an updated one:

http://professionalfangirls.com/down...ng-cast-guide/

She IS cute, but I thought the previous Sybbie was cute too.
    From the pictures, I like that Thomas seems to be aging.

vCash
    I don't know if this has been posted previously, but absolute must reading for Downton Abbey fans are two books by the current Countess of Carnavon who is married to the 8th Earl of Carnavon (present heir at Highclere Castle, which is the real Downton Abbey).

Lady Almina and the Real Downton Abbey: The Lost Legacy of Highclere Castle, 2011 by Fiona, The Countess of Carnavon

A narrative backstory (1895-1923) of the marriage between Almina Wombwell (illegitimate daughter of Alfred de Rothschild) and the 5th Earl of Carnavon (who funded the Egyptian excavation/ discovery of the Tomb of King Tut in 1922). Almina is the real Countess who masterminded the turning of Highclere Castle into a hospital for injured World War I vets. Hers was a true love story, but also a marriage of convenience due to the wealth of her generous benefactor and known-to-be father, the wealthy Alfred de Rothschild. Almina was a generous and enterprising heroine in her own right, but she didn't actually understand how to manage money since she never lacked for it during her father's lifetime. His enormous wealth enabled Almina to fund a state-of-the-art healthcare facility at Highclere during World War I and later in London, plus she ultimately helped save and preserve Highclere Castle for future Carnavons. They also truly lived very high on the hog, no kidding! This is an amazing true story full of twists and turns, fascinating real characters and events. These are the characters and events which inspired Downton Abbey creator Julian Fellowes (who is friendly with the 8th Earl of Carnavon and has been a frequent dinner party guest at the real castle).

Lady Catherine, the Earl and the Real Downton Abbey, 2013 by Fiona, The Countess of Carnavon

Narrative backstory (1923-1945) of the marriage between Lady Catherine Wendell and the 6th Earl of Carnavon. A continuation of the real events at Highclere Castle into the next generation. Lady Catherine was born in Maine, USA and was a descendant of famous American families (related on her mother's side to Robert E. Lee and distantly, George Washington). Although Lady Catherine's father was descended from a wealthy Dutch-American industrialist family, a bad investment bankrupted him. Her father tried to start a career as an actor but eventually stress weakened his health and he died in his early forties. Lady Catherine's mother was left with no resources and four children. Fortunately, she had a childless cousin who had married into an upper-middle-class British family. Lady Catherine's mother moved to England with her children and was taken in with open arms by her cousin. Lady Catherine was 10 when she arrived in England. Her family was able to thrive within the upper-classes in England which they would have been unable to do in America after her father's death. Lady Catherine was a lifelong friend of Prince George, Duke of Kent, who she knew even before she met her future husband, 6th Earl of Carnavon. Lady Catherine's son, the eventual 7th Earl of Carnavon (who served in World War II) was a close childhood friend of Queen Elizabeth and later was appointed her Royal Racing Manager:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2001/09/14/sp...g-manager.html

In reading the books by the present Countess of Carnavon, its interesting to see how Fellowes developed fictional characters and events inspired by some of these true stories. The real stories, particularly about the utter grief and despair so many British families faced during World War I (and later World War II) are brought to life in the books in a more resonant and in-depth way. It's apparent though that Fellowes is brilliant in how he has been able to capture the essence of some of the broad historical events through fashioning uniquely different yet equally compelling characters that give us a glimpse into the rich history of Edwardian England.

Actually, the real stories could be made into an even more compelling miniseries.

For current series afcionados, there's also a recent picture book with text entitled: Backstage at Downton Abbey

vCash
    Casting spoiler...DO NOT READ IF YOU WANT TO STAY UNSPOILED!

And please do not post explicit comments re: this information...protect our members who wish to remain spoiler-free.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aftershocks View Post
    I don't know if this has been posted previously, but absolute must reading for Downton Abbey fans are two books by the current Countess of Carnavon who is married to the 8th Earl of Carnavon (present heir at Highclere Castle, which is the real Downton Abbey).

Lady Almina and the Real Downton Abbey: The Lost Legacy of Highclere Castle, 2011 by Fiona, The Countess of Carnavon

Lady Catherine, the Earl and the Real Downton Abbey, 2013 by Fiona, The Countess of Carnavon
    [/I]
    I read Lady Almina and agree that it's a great read. I had forgotten that there was a second book, so that will be added to the "to read" pile.

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aftershocks View Post
    Narrative backstory (1923-1945) of the marriage between Lady Catherine Wendell and the 6th Earl of Carnavon. A continuation of the real events at Highclere Castle into the next generation. Lady Catherine was born in Maine, USA and was a descendant of famous American families (related on her mother's side to Robert E. Lee and distantly, George Washington).
    *twitch* Unless she's somehow descended from his siblings, she's not. If she was a Lee, she's related to Washington's stepchildren, the Custises. (Robert E. Lee married Washington's "granddaughter", Mary Custis, but Washington had no biological offspring.)

Page 35 of 36 FirstFirst ... 2533343536 LastLast