Page 19 of 36 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Dardar, no spoilers but I have to ask you, did you not find this season the liveliest of all the series? despite the rape? I know I did. It was better than season 3 for me.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PRlady View Post
    Blake's the Lloyd George fiery liberal douchebag and I predict a romance with Mary. They dislike each other too much, too quickly for the character to be there just to call attention to the fact that not everyone loved the aristocracy. (Actually I like his politics and hope he and Mary have a fabulous love-hate relationship. Yum.)

The scene with Mary, Isabel and Tom talking about how they felt when they were in love with their late spouses made me weepy. It was the single best scene in Downton Abbey ever as far as I'm concerned and Isabel nailed it when she talked about how lucky they were. The affection and warmth in the room was so moving.
    Caught up on the episode last night and yes that totally made me weepy too! Was hoping we'd get a bonding scene like that.

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PRlady View Post
    Blake's the Lloyd George fiery liberal douchebag and I predict a romance with Mary. They dislike each other too much, too quickly for the character to be there just to call attention to the fact that not everyone loved the aristocracy. (Actually I like his politics and hope he and Mary have a fabulous love-hate relationship. Yum.)
    They're calling it "hate-flirting" on the If DA happened on Facebook site.

I agree though: it's pretty obvious where they're taking it.

I'm actually finding the whole "everyone loves Mary" business the most annoying part of the past couple of episodes. I like Mary and how they've allowed her character to grown and change over time, but she does still seem hard to love. With Gillingham and Napier both falling instantly in love with her, and now this Andrew Foyle, um, I mean Dr Cheriton, um I mean Charles Blake ...

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    RUN FOR YOUR LIVES! But they are not going to run. This is a couple named Rose and Jack, which can mean only two things: This ship is going down and she’s not going to let go.
    ROFL, I can't believe I missed that...at least this Jack is substantially less annoying and you wouldn't get liver failure doing a drinking game of every time they say each others' names...

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis@BC View Post

I'm actually finding the whole "everyone loves Mary" business the most annoying part of the past couple of episodes. I like Mary and how they've allowed her character to grown and change over time, but she does still seem hard to love. With Gillingham and Napier both falling instantly in love with her, and now this Andrew Foyle, um, I mean Dr Cheriton, um I mean Charles Blake ...
    Well, Napier's not really an instantly thing. He would be more a case of "First Guy Wins" as they knew each other and were corresponding way back when Matthew was still beneath her. He just ended up collateral damage to the Pamuk Issue (and learned a lesson about bringing subjectively handsome exotic foreigners with alley-cat morals as your plus-one to a weekend hunting party.) He clearly has been carrying a torch for her and figures well, now, the field's clear, but is taking a less desperate-seeming route than Gillingham.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tamuno View Post
    Dardar, no spoilers but I have to ask you, did you not find this season the liveliest of all the series? despite the rape? I know I did. It was better than season 3 for me.
    I agree. After a slow, sluggish start, I felt the series really picked up the pace and finished strong, and with some good cliff-hangers and teases for Season 5.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    ... (and learned a lesson about bringing subjectively handsome exotic foreigners with alley-cat morals as your plus-one to a weekend hunting party)

You're quite right of course about it not being "love at first sight" -- for any of them really. But it still struck me as unnecessary and slightly unbelievable for Mary to have three suitors at once, especially when you consider that the eligible women far outnumbered the eligible men at that time, since so many of that generation were lost to the Great War.

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    You're quite right of course about it not being "love at first sight" -- for any of them really. But it still struck me as unnecessary and slightly unbelievable for Mary to have three suitors at once, especially when you consider that the eligible women far outnumbered the eligible men at that time, since so many of that generation were lost to the Great War.
    how many just inherited a bunch of stuff? i still think gillingham needs money. the congenial fellow always liked her. i cant explain that short douchebag.
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

vCash

This- I'm finding it hard to believe that men like Gillingham and Napier would still be eligible bachelors at this point. Blake I can sort of believe.

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by elka_sk8 View Post
    This- I'm finding it hard to believe that men like Gillingham and Napier would still be eligible bachelors at this point. Blake I can sort of believe.
    that's a good point. gillingham does have a girl, he was just hoping to trade up. but napier - he's so compliant. some overbearing mother would have just run right over him and hitched him to her daughter.
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

aspiring tri-national
    vCash
    I think the tradition used to be that the eligible guys stayed that way until their early thirties and then finally settled down with a 19-year-old virgin. (CF Charles/Diana.) So these thirtysomething bachelors are in line with social reality.

Of course, when the husbands got old and gouty, their much younger wives took lovers, or so I've heard.
    "Youth and vigor is no match for age and deceit." -- Prancer

vCash
    Off topic but if you enjoy Downton and the terrific job the BBC shows do of character development you might also like "Call the Midwife". It is based on the memoirs of a group of midwives working out of a convent in the east end of London in the 1950's with their very large families and horrible conditions. Not all men would probably enjoy the sounds of active labour but the stories are so amazing and handled so brilliantly. Many of the cast are now my favourites. I got it from the library but I believe you can order it through netflix. They have finished two seasons and the third is going to start in the UK, I believe.
    pug lover

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by puglover View Post
    Off topic but if you enjoy Downton and the terrific job the BBC shows do of character development you might also like "Call the Midwife". It is based on the memoirs of a group of midwives working out of a convent in the east end of London in the 1950's with their very large families and horrible conditions. Not all men would probably enjoy the sounds of active labour but the stories are so amazing and handled so brilliantly. Many of the cast are now my favourites. I got it from the library but I believe you can order it through netflix. They have finished two seasons and the third is going to start in the UK, I believe.
    I like that show; it returns to PBS at the end of March.

vCash
    As long as we're talking about period TV series w/ strong female characters, there's also "The Bletchley Circle" re/ women who stayed friends after decoding nazi messages in WWII, subsequently solving crimes.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Icetalavista View Post
    As long as we're talking about period TV series w/ strong female characters, there's also "The Bletchley Circle" re/ women who stayed friends after decoding nazi messages in WWII, subsequently solving crimes.
    Like that one, too! It returns to PBS in mid-April.

P.S. And to save time...Mr. Selfridge returns to PBS at the end of March.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dardar1126 View Post
    P.S. And to save time...Mr. Selfridge returns to PBS at the end of March.
    I wonder if they're going to be double-billing that, then, like they did with Downton-Sherlock, since Call the Midwife is scheduled to start March 30.

I didn't like Mr Selfridge at all, but Call the Midwife is one of my favourite series ever shown on PBS.

And I loved The Bletchley Circle too. Three of my favourite things in one package: murder mysteries, women in unconventional roles, and codes/puzzles.

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    i love tv murder, how did i miss bletchley circle?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by my little pony View Post
    i love tv murder, how did i miss bletchley circle?
    Catch it if you can, it's excellent. Netflix is currently streaming it. 4 strong, intelligent women who worked at Bletchley Park during the war go out on their own to find a serial killer. Superb casting.

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    I am "eh" on "Call the Midwife" (I prefer the Victorian custom of politely pretending pregnancy, babies, and children don't exist and being one of those midwives would be my idea of hell-I'd sooner shove my arm up a cow's backside to preg-check it), enjoyed "Mr Selfridge" and "The Bletchley Circle." I think my favorite bit was the police superintendent saying something to the main character like "....You weren't a typist in the war, were you?"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    ... "The Bletchley Circle." I think my favorite bit was the police superintendent saying something to the main character like "....You weren't a typist in the war, were you?"
    Yes, and such great silent acting by Anna Maxwell in that scene -- the expression on her face where you can see she's fighting back the urge to say something about her real role ...

That whole dynamic underscores what I loved so much about this series and others from that period: here's a group of women who were making an incredible contribution to the war effort, but once the war was over it was back to the kitchen, pretend like nothing happened.

Page 19 of 36 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast