Page 17 of 36 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyliefan View Post
    My gosh, I can't believe you guys can remember characters from the first season. I can barely remember people who were on two episodes ago.

Some events that happen later has their foundation set in that season. Some people ( not you) would understand events better and refrain from asking redundant questions if they refer to certain things from earlier in the series. For instance I read an article that was asking, 'who is this Napier'? and wondering if he's a new suitor?. I mean if that person can write an article, then so can I, I guess.

vCash
    Also, I too did not have ANY problems whatsoever with what Mrs Hughes said. She already had misgivings with how Edna wormed herself back into the house only to pull the same thing she did the last time, only to another level.

vCash
    Some of the acting that has really impressed me this season:

Mary - Season premier. When she started to cry in Mr. Carson's office, her grief looked overpowering and real. I never saw an expression on her face anything close to this. It didn't occur to me at the time, but during last season's premier, I was thinking the same thing about her but for a very different reason. After Matthew and Mary backed away from that incredibly romantic closed-eyes kiss at Mary's bedroom door the night before their wedding, Mary's face showed so many wonderful emotions: happiness, peace, a thrill. What wonderful range from Michelle Dockery -- but so sad that last year's premier showed heights of happiness we never saw from Mary before, and this season opened with her depth of despair.

Isobel -- has had a sad, teary-eyed look all season. Somehow Penelope Wilton has managed to make it ever so slightly less sad with each episode.

Alfred -- He is humble and awkward, yet believes in himself and knows exactly what he wants (Ivy and to be a chef.) Matt Milne's face expresses this combination of feelings so well in situations where he has to stand up for himself and for what he wants.

Ivy -- When she got drunk at Jimmy's urging, she (Cara Theobold) didn't over-play it. Rather, she just sat there with some of her hair slipping out of her hat, and this dumb, kind of numb, look on her face.

Anna -- Powerful, convincing scenes of terror and loss from her. Especially poignant for the contrast to the sunny, outgoing Anna we've come to know.

A few from earlier seasons:

Mrs. Patmore on last season's fianle-- After Mrs. Hughes told her the truth about the man who had been courting her at the fair, her laugh of relief was hilarious and unique! One of the funniest moments I have ever seen on this show.

Matthew at the snowy engagement -- When Mary insisted he kneel down and propose "properly," he at first had this amused "That's my Mary!" look on his face. As he knelt, he too showed an incredible of range of emotions: anticipation, happiness, and a bit of disbelief that this was finally, finally happening. Beautiful, nuanced, romantic acting.
    Last edited by mikemba; 01-31-2014 at 06:47 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mikemba View Post
    Some of the acting that has really impressed me this season:
    disbelief that this was finally, finally happening. Beautiful, nuanced, romantic acting.
    I want to hug your whole post. Instead I'll just take it one by one.

Mary - Agree 100% with this. Michelle Dockery SHOULD earn at least one Emmy for her role on this show. At first I did not get her but the acting make her fully understandable to be - note I did not say 'sympathetic' mostly because her personality in real life I suspect will go down like bile most often. But the actress plays her without going too much one way or the other. I remember that scene after the Ethel-crashing-the afternoon lunch episode, when they were discussing what to do about her. Then Mary something like, ' we all have to suffer the consequences of our actions'. She said this while sipping tea and staring straight ahead in the flattest voice she has used. Yet that moment we knew she wasn't talking about Ethel, but she betrayed her own bitterness and helplessness about her situation- all without giving away ANY emotion you can point to.

Isobel - All the 'energy and fire' has been knocked out of her due to the death of her only son and this actress portrays this as it should be. We remember her as bossy and intrusive in Season 1 and 2. But like you said, we see her gradually coming back to her old self, as it should be. This character's grief was very well dealt with and acted.

Alfred - Everything you said and I will add, especially in the last few episodes of season three when he was interjected unwittingly in the Jimmy/Thomas fracas.

Ivy - What amuses me about her is that she wants to see the world and experience things yet she is ignorant and she portrays it well with her 'what are you talking about?' facial expressions.

Anna - Nothing to add really. When you (re)watch season 1, you will see a younger and like you said sunnier/optimistic Anna. Now she looks older and beaten (I don't mean this literally). Such a contrast. Another one that deserves the Emmy.

Mrs. Patmore - the scene you are talking about also makes me laugh ANY time I see it. Especially when Mrs. Patmore covers her face with the apron after Mrs. Hughes had told her what she observed. I thought (like Mrs. Hughes apparently judging by the expression on her face) that she was going to collapse in humiliation. Instead we hear this giggle coming from behind the apron. It was perfect.

Matthew - EVERY romantic scene with Mary was acted with perfection. From the first dining room scene in season one, to the train station scene and the dancing in that wonderful room with his gramophone (the best shot romantic scene of all time), the proposal, the make-up through the door etc. Just perfect. Perfect posture, perfect expression, perfect hair...............need I go on. I hope the 'new guy' whoever he is can at least try to match up. No wonder Mary can't forget.

vCash
    Thanks, Tamuno! I enjoyed all of your added insights as well -- particularly Ivy. I never made the connection before between how much she wants to see the world, but how inexperienced she is.

Oh, and Matthew. Yes, I thought Dan Stevens was wonderful in this role. He really found a way to portray the emotion of Matthew despite all the formality of life at Downton. Matthew Crawley is my all-time favorite male lead on TV. They were 3 thoroughly enjoyable seasons!
    Last edited by mikemba; 02-03-2014 at 03:43 AM. Reason: TYpos, typ os, typpos

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    that was a good episode, so much happened

i still think it was weird that edith wasnt the slightest bit upset when she went to london for her pregnancy test, unless she thought she was going for some symptom and it turned out to be that. but she might be the greatest actress ever, i totally believed she would hurl any moment
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

vCash
    Loved, loved this episode. I'll be back after I watch it again!

vCash
    Wow! When Robert and Cora went to bed after his birthday party I bet they had a lot to talk about! I think it went something like this:

Robert: What a scandalous evening!

Cora: I know! That jazz singer was so, you know…

Robert: Oh, I don’t mean him. He’s Rose’s friend. I’m talking about that complete stranger who wandered around our home all evening acting like she lives here.

Cora: Oh you mean that red-headed young woman who looked so sad? Yes, I couldn’t believe she crashed the party. I think her name is Edith. I’m sure I’ve never seen her before.

Robert: Hmmm… Edith, Edith. The name sounds familiar. I think I vaguely recall meeting her before. Ah, yes! When Anthony Strallan asked her to the opera, I criticized her for accepting before asking what they would be seeing. Oh, and when she became engaged to Anthony, I talked him out of marrying her. Then, when she wrote an article for the newspaper, I told her they’d never publish it. When they did, I asked her editor why he printed an article by an amateur. Then when she brought him to Downton, I ignored him for a whole weekend.

Other than that, though, I don’t think I’ve ever spoken to her. I hope she's not planning to sleep over. I don't want our darling daughter Mary exposed to someone from such inferior stock.

vCash
    Twitter:

JoelleColvilleHanson ‏@PastorJoelle 2h
    “@ADSinDC: Full text of Edith's letter via @Canyafly1 Thanks for this! #spoileralert #DowntonAbbey
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BX_imN7CcAEfFxp.jpg "

vCash
    A few quick thoughts...........

Molesely has got a job! Molesely has got a job!

Watching Baxter trying to get info from Cora O'Brien can teach you how to do this properly.

Poor Daisy...................the way she was crying into her cake mix. Her silent tears were moving.

Who liked Blake?? I definitely preferred him to Gillingham aka Tony Foyle.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dardar1126 View Post
    Twitter:
    I hit the pause button to read it.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    So did I.

vCash
    Twitter:

Masterpiece PBS ‏@masterpiecepbs 12s
    ICYMI: #DowntonPBS S4E5 is available to view online at http://pbs.org/masterpiece for a limited time - http://to.pbs.org/1nx7eY3

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tamuno View Post
    Who liked Blake?? I definitely preferred him to Gillingham aka Tony Foyle.
    was blake the douchebag who kept fighting w mary or his congenial friend? i like the congenial friend.
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

aspiring tri-national
    vCash
    Blake's the Lloyd George fiery liberal douchebag and I predict a romance with Mary. They dislike each other too much, too quickly for the character to be there just to call attention to the fact that not everyone loved the aristocracy. (Actually I like his politics and hope he and Mary have a fabulous love-hate relationship. Yum.)

The scene with Mary, Isabel and Tom talking about how they felt when they were in love with their late spouses made me weepy. It was the single best scene in Downton Abbey ever as far as I'm concerned and Isabel nailed it when she talked about how lucky they were. The affection and warmth in the room was so moving.
    "Youth and vigor is no match for age and deceit." -- Prancer

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PRlady View Post
    Blake's the Lloyd George fiery liberal douchebag and I predict a romance with Mary. They dislike each other too much, too quickly for the character to be there just to call attention to the fact that not everyone loved the aristocracy. (Actually I like his politics and hope he and Mary have a fabulous love-hate relationship. Yum.)

The scene with Mary, Isabel and Tom talking about how they felt when they were in love with their late spouses made me weepy. It was the single best scene in Downton Abbey ever as far as I'm concerned and Isabel nailed it when she talked about how lucky they were. The affection and warmth in the room was so moving.
    Yep, Mary and Charles hate each other too much for that not to morph into passion!

I agree about the nursery scene...very touching and tender...two widows and a widower fondly remembering their lost loves.

Edith is facing a massive challenge! And where the heck is Michael Gregson??

Happy that Alfred got accepted into the Ritz cooking class, and that he and Daisy made peace.

Jimmy needs to get his act together...he's acting like a Bieber-esque little jerk!

Molesley FINALLY seems settled into a job...hoorah!

I liked Isobel playing sleuth to solve the mystery of the missing letter knife and netsuke...very Miss Marple!

Rose is really shaking up some cultural and racial customs...you GO, girl!!

Tom lamenting about finding a new love who would be acceptable at Downton tells me he's about to meet a potential candidate...I just feel it.
    Last edited by dardar1126; 02-03-2014 at 06:48 PM.

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PRlady View Post
    that was fabulous. and mary never looked more beautiful than when she was talking about her engagement.

blake is too short.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by my little pony View Post
    that was fabulous. and mary never looked more beautiful than when she was talking about her engagement.
    Yes, that was a wonderfully moving scene.

blake is too short.
    ITA. Although I think he would be suitable for some verbal sparring with Mary. I will have to admit being a bit by the following blurb about next week's episode in my local PBS station's program guide. WARNING: Cryptic spoiler follows.

Spoiler

WTF?
    Lady 2: there isn't anything about me on goooogle, I mean, I must take it off if there is.....
    Lady 3: The google is a terrible thing, I mean I don't want anything on there! (Overheard by millyskate on a London train.)

vCash
    I predict some romantic sizzle coming up.

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    when do we get to follow edith around while she cries and eats soda crackers

Page 17 of 36 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast