Page 6 of 36 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

vCash
    Loved it, of course. My favorite line was Lady Edith talking about how her father would do if the servants left. It was something like, "he'd be found dead in a corridor, arms outstretched towards the kitchen."
    Keeper of Nathalie Pechelat's bitchface.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Speaking of Edith, I do like how they are turning her into this smart, modern woman. I could see an interesting story if she chooses to go with dude to Germany but not marry him, and gets involved in political and human issues there, perhaps coming back and being the only one in her secluded family to realize what's happening in the coming years.

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    Speaking of Edith, I do like how they are turning her into this smart, modern woman. I could see an interesting story if she chooses to go with dude to Germany but not marry him, and gets involved in political and human issues there, perhaps coming back and being the only one in her secluded family to realize what's happening in the coming years.
    Yeah, that could be really interesting, especially if Robert gets sucked into the Nazi-sympathizer, "Hitler's not such a bad chap" crowd. Which is not completely beyond the realm of possibilities, there were a lot of really naïve people who went that route based on the "protecting our traditions" propaganda.

However I don't see them setting up scenes in Germany for Edith's sake, so I think it would mean her disappearing from the show for a while. And I really don't want that to happen.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Yes, I was thinking Remains of the Day - papa is definitely a candidate for going the wrong way.

Good point about not wanting her to to leave though - I guess they've tried to replace Sybil with Rose but it's not the same, and I think we really need Edith in the mix. The neverending parade of maids only provides the same old storylines, whereas Edith is the opportunity to make the story relevant to the time period the most.

Maybe she could go briefly, and then get involved with a bunch of ex-pat artists and journalists in London, and maybe bring some refugees to Downton

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    Maybe she could go briefly, and then get involved with a bunch of ex-pat artists and journalists in London, and maybe bring some refugees to Downton
    I fully expect that, assuming the show carries on to the mid-30s, we'll see some refugee storylines somehow. But in terms of Edith going there and being involved, I'm not sure how the timing will work. Things do move very slowly in Downton-land, but if it's now 1922 and Gregson seems very keen to get this "divorce tourism" thing going asap.

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    I can see another reason for just not going that way (Edith and Gregson moving there and tying it into the rising Nazi movement): even if they weren't overtly sympathetic, and it would be hard not to feel sorry for Weimar Germans and just how bad their country was wiped out as punishment for a war they didn't start, they already did that plot on the short-lived "Upstairs, Downstairs" revival with the wife's younger sister. There was already an unfortunate plot similarity (politically-active chauffeur and rebellious younger daughter, though it ended much differently.)

From the Bloc
    vCash
    That's actually what I was thinking - not the Jewish refugee story angle from Remains of the Day, but perhaps Edith the increasingly worldly person getting to know some Germans as people, perhaps in the journalist and artist community - and realizing that something was starting to go horribly wrong, perhaps just as her traditional family is sympathizing the other ways. She educates them, and it's an opportunity to tell a different story. It might be a few years too early for all that, but I'm assuming the writers chose Germany for some larger purpose than a simple divorce.

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    i always assumed isadore levinson was jewish and that some distant refugee cousin would pop up in the 30s, but that's just me talking to myself not based on actual facts
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by my little pony View Post
    i always assumed isadore levinson was jewish and that some distant refugee cousin would pop up in the 30s, but that's just me talking to myself not based on actual facts
    Yes, Isidore Levinson, Cora's father, was indeed Jewish (according to the book The Chronicles of Downton Abbey).
    Lady 2: there isn't anything about me on goooogle, I mean, I must take it off if there is.....
    Lady 3: The google is a terrible thing, I mean I don't want anything on there! (Overheard by millyskate on a London train.)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dardar1126 View Post
    I totally agree...but Cora was always very gullible to everything O'Brien told her, too.

And when Robert was showing Matthew's letter/will to Violet, did anyone else briefly think he was going to toss that letter into the fireplace! The fire was roaring, and I really thought that he might destroy the letter!
    Yes, I thought her would. I was surprised when he gave it to Mary.

vCash
    I just finished watching my DVRed episode 1 of season 4. I'm so happy this is back for another season.

Don't like Edna being back. I much prefer O'Brien. I wish she was still around.

Loved Edith but I wish they would do more with Rose. Her storyline was a complete bore this episode.

Dowager Countess rocked as usual. Nanny West...what a psycho!

I did the quiz and I'm Cora. I knew I would be before I did the quiz...lol! Hopefully, I'm not as naive as her but I do usually try to find the good in people.
    I'm not spoiled...I deserve all my stuff.

vCash
    Per the quiz, I'm the Dowager, which is odd, since I know what a weekend is. But I do like having the power to say whatever I want whenever I want, and wear ornate hats.

vCash
    "Who's the glamorous pirate?" ~ Lord Grantham

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BdpkCZJCAAEzYqW.jpg

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smurfy View Post
    q1. Cora fired the nanny, she overheard the nanny talking nice to baby George and calling baby Sybil nasties names (halfbreed). Cora fired her on the sport in such a calm way

Q2 episode began w someone leaving downtown n leaving notes, and it was O'Brien. Actress left the show after least season and they had her in last seasons episode bond w the cousin in sScotland that was going tomIndia. O'Brien mentioned she wanted to travel and the cousins maid did not so O'Brien was offered the job as stated in the season opener.
    Thanks, Smurfy!

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    im mrs hughes which makes no sense. id have never let edna back in the house and i would never have bothered w the vaudeville partner.
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

vCash
    http://www.elle.com/news/culture/lad...hael-interview

'Downton Abbey' Star Laura Carmichael Says Lady Edith Is Misunderstood
    January 7 5:00 PM
    Jane Levere | Culture News

Excerpt:

As Lady Edith, the unlucky-in-love middle daughter of the Crawley dynasty, Laura Carmichael portrays one of the most complicated characters on PBS' Downton Abbey (season 4 premiered on Sunday). But Carmichael, who was working as a receptionist in a doctor's office before landing the role, couldn't be more different than the hawkish woman she plays on TV. ELLE.com sat down with the 27-year-old actress to discuss the upside of playing the underdog.

vCash
    What??? Nobody here yet? I thought this thread will be flooded with this episode by now.

vCash
    Poor Anna...I wonder how that will all play out...
    Haunting the Princess of Pink since 20/07/11...

vCash
    Wow. Devastated for Anna.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Too busy with the US Nats but I am planning to watch.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

Page 6 of 36 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast