Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

vCash
    My husband took the test & came out as Ron so we are both Ron. I guess we're a boring couple.

The change in the movies that I take the most issue with is omission of Harry giving Fred & George his winnings from the TriWizard Tournament. I thought that him not wanting the money was an important revelation of his character. So they never explained how the twins could afford to start that business.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    In defense of the movies, they never explained a lot of things, not just this one. The sheer size and the universe of details in HP made truncating necessary. The movies were as long as they possibly could be, containing as much detail as they could. But some things had to be cut.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    I'm... Snape!
    Nubka - Unpaid Slave Laborer...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    In defense of the movies, they never explained a lot of things, not just this one. The sheer size and the universe of details in HP made truncating necessary. The movies were as long as they possibly could be, containing as much detail as they could. But some things had to be cut.
    I agree, and most of the cutting made sense. But it Dumbledore had mentioned the money prize when announcing the tournament, it would have taken about 10 seconds more, & there had been a scene with Fred & George giving them the money, that could have been as brief as under a minute. I think it affected the continuity in the next movie. But on the whole they did a good job with the movies considering the details in the books. I esp liked the casting because most of the actors chosen jibed with how I pictured them.

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    I've read and reread the books multiple times. I've watched the movies only once and then purely for Jason Isaacs, Alan Rickman and Maggie Smith, albeit her role was limited and she was too old for McGonnagal. I didn't mind cutting things, but I hated that they changed things just because and even worse added crap that wasn't in the books. I liked the first and parts of the last two movies except for how they did Harry's fight with Voldemort which was ridiculous and totally against the key points in the book. The 3-6th made me swear out loud and mutter curses throughout the entire movie. I refuse to even watch them when they are on cable TV.

Although I've also read the Hobbit and LOTR multiple times, the movie adaptations didn't annoy me as much. Of course, adding Legolas to the Hobbit movie is annoying, but I'll forgive Jackson because I like Orlando Bloom. I was willing to overlook key things because of Ian McKellen as Gandalf.
    Adelina Sotnikova defeated the curse of Esta She is indeed the Greatest Of All Time!

aka IceSkate98
    vCash
    I'm Luna Lovegood according to that test.
    Angie
    “I have not failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” ~ Thomas A. Edison

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rfisher View Post
    Jason Isaacs
    I fell utterly in love with this man after I saw him in the 2nd movie when I was 12 All my friend were talking about Sean Biggerstaff and Orlando Bloom and I was totally obsessed with Isaacs and they all were weirded out by it I just love his perfectly snarky Lucius, stupid hair aside. I'm so glad you mentioned him specifically.

Maggie Smith, albeit her role was limited and she was too old for McGonagall
    THANK YOU. I swear you are the only other person I've ever encountered who noticed this issue. I love Maggie Smith, one of my favorite actresses, but I totally agree. Rickman too but I am willing to overlook that one because... Alan Rickman

I love some of the movies and most of the changes did not bother me, but I did hate it when they added additional scenes. So much. It was pointless and idiotic.

vCash
    You loved him even though he was hitting & kicking Dobby?

vCash
    Oh goodness. I found the actor to be extremely attractive and loved the way he delivered his lines. No, I did not like him hitting and kicking Dobby. Did I really need to clarify that?

vCash
    I tried the test again... and I'm still Voldemort. Is there anything wrong with saying power is better than money? that I want to dominate the world? I mean, really?

I did say Star Wars was my favourite movie... was that the tipper? I also chose good over evil...
    Last edited by liv; 01-05-2014 at 04:06 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by michiruwater View Post
    Oh goodness. I found the actor to be extremely attractive and loved the way he delivered his lines. No, I did not like him hitting and kicking Dobby. Did I really need to clarify that?
    Maybe I should have when I posted that.

vCash
    I've read and reread the books multiple times. I've watched the movies only once and then purely for Jason Isaacs, Alan Rickman and Maggie Smith, albeit her role was limited and she was too old for McGonnagal. I didn't mind cutting things, but I hated that they changed things just because and even worse added crap that wasn't in the books. I liked the first and parts of the last two movies except for how they did Harry's fight with Voldemort which was ridiculous and totally against the key points in the book. The 3-6th made me swear out loud and mutter curses throughout the entire movie. I refuse to even watch them when they are on cable TV.
    The only movie that had me pulling out my hair was the 5th one. I understood that it was a movie and that certain things had to be left out or rearranged or whatever, but that 5th movie was horrible IMO. The only reason I own it is b/c I wanted to have the complete collection of movies though I never forsee myself volunteering to watch that again.

There were a few things that drove me nuts in that movie.

1. Harry's anger: They gave one hint at that in the beginning of the movie when he goes into his room and kicks the desk. What they failed to convey is that Harry's temper was always on the edge that year. He was so angry b/c of everything that had happened since meeting Voldemort in the cemetery the year before and the fact that the Ministry was making him out to be a whacko. He went off on everyone that year: Ron, Hermione, Dumbledore, Ginny, Umbridge, etc....but there is little to no evidence of that in the movie. That was a key part of Harry's development that was edited out. I get why...but it pissed me off.

2. Levicorpus: That spell was used in this movie and I remember bitching at the screen with my sister and cousin during the movie b/c that spell was crucial to Half-Blood Prince. Snape (aka the Half-Blood Prince) created that spell and Harry didn't learn it until he got Snape's old potions book in his 6th year. So the fact that the D.A. used it as a practice spell in their 5th year made me want to spew curse words nonstop. On top of using a spell that exists a year too early, the producers/directors didn't even bother to show it correctly. In the movie when they do the spell, the person just floats in the air. Um, no, WRONG. The spell is supposed to hoist you in the air by your ankle so that you're hanging upside down...what they showed was the effects of Wingardium Leviosa.

3. Cho Chang and the D.A.: I don't like that they threw Cho under the bus and made it so that she was the person who ratted out the D.A. to Umbridge. In the book it was her friend Marietta. But I'm assuming in order to skirt the whole Harry-dates-Cho-and-things-don't-work-out story line, they decided to make them break up b/c she was a traitorous sneak, and I didn't like that. Cho deserved better than that...

4. Room of Requirement: The fact that Umbridge (a) knew about the room and (b) was able to blast her way into the room was terrible and completely undermines what happens in the final book. Very few people at Hogwarts knew about the ROR; even Dumbledore didn't know about it. The D.A. members learn about it from Harry; and the Inquisitorial Squad (Umbridge, Draco & Co.) only find out about it much later in the book and they are only able to get in once they catch Harry leaving after a meeting. In the movie, they simply blast their way into the room which is oh so wrong when you look at the final book/movie. In Deathly Hallows the Carrows (Death Eater teachers at the school) knew Neville and the rest of the resistance were hiding in the ROR but they couldn't find a way in. The room had sealed itself off and was impenetrable to anyone on Voldemort's side. It definitely wasn't able to be breached by simply blasting a hole in the wall. In the movie they hide out in the ROR too...but if you didn't read the books you might be wondering how it is they've managed to stay hidden for so long considering how ridiculously easy it was to blast the door down two years ago...

That. Pissed. Me. Off!

It's always the little things that drive me crazy when it comes to the book to film adaptations. The movies were okay but the 2nd movie is the only one that stuck to the story the best IMO.

(sorry to ramble/rant but I could honestly talk HP all day long. )
    Last edited by kwanatic; 01-06-2014 at 05:56 PM.

vCash
    The thing with Cho bothered me too. Besides that it should have been Marietta, Cho didn't get the pustules from the spell that Hermione put on anyone who told. But what really bothered me in the book & the movie was that that Uxbridge never really paid for her crimes. I thought she should have been killed by the centaurs. She was more evil than Voldemort. She must have been a Slitherin.

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    Umbridge played an important role in DH as she was the one who bought the locket from Mundungus in an effort to shore up her own family background. JKR wanted to show that it didn't matter who was MOM that there are always personalities like hers who find their way into government bureaucracy. After all, she was still in the Ministry when Fudge was kicked out and Scrimshaw was elected.
    Adelina Sotnikova defeated the curse of Esta She is indeed the Greatest Of All Time!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    However, I don't think I'm Hermoine, because I don't see myself being a Griffindor.
    Finally got around to taking the quiz- they thihk I'm Hermoine. There wasn't a question about running screaming like a little girl from danger though.

Main Offender
    cooking with Alexei Rogonov and Nodari Maisuradze
    vCash
    I'm Ron
    "I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine."

Bruce Lee

vCash
    I'm Hermione. On these types of quizzes I'm usually Hermione or Snape...I think the difference is if I'm feeling moral ambiguity, haha.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Simone411 View Post
    I'm Luna Lovegood according to that test.
    Me, too! I think it's befitting for me since I'm fairly dorky and weird and there're very few people close to me.

vCash
    I'm Hermione.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456