Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

vCash

IMG, U.S. Figure Skating partnering on tour for the first time (post-Sochi Olympics)

Thanks to immoimeme for reminding me about this article in another thread - I meant to start a thread about it this past fall:
    Excerpt:
    Published October 21, 2013

U.S. Figure Skating and IMG are partnering on a post-Olympics tour that will bring figure skaters from the Sochi Games to 25 to 30 cities next year.

The tour marks the first time U.S. Figure Skating and IMG have collaborated on a tour. IMG created its Stars on Ice in 1986 to promote its client, Scott Hamilton, and has run the tour independently since then. But the success of last year’s USA Gymnastics tour, which generated $15 million in revenue after the London Games, and the addition of a team figure skating competition to the Sochi Games made USFS and IMG representatives believe that working together would benefit both companies.

“The team event changes the game a bit,” said USFS chief marketer Ramsey Baker. “The American public gets excited about something new and something new that the U.S. has a chance to win. You can only capitalize on that type of momentum once, and we wanted to be sure we worked in unison to do that.”

Byron Allen, IMG senior vice president, added, “Stars on Ice had been featuring past [figure skating] stars and we need to get the current crop of skaters to participate. This is the way to do it.”

USFS and IMG will share sponsorship, ticket and merchandising revenue from the tour.
    The Canadian Stars on Ice tour is scheduled to run from April 25 to May 15, 2014: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...rs-on-Ice-2014
    Last edited by Sylvia; 12-28-2013 at 08:13 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    So, what happens to skaters that or not apart of the IMG corral of athletes? This is an interesting situation, considering that not all of the top US skaters are part of IMG (thinking of pair teams esp).

vCash
    Interesting. Anyone know what cities are planned for this tour?

Left in the Kiss-n-Cry
    vCash
    I guess they are waiting until after Nationals to decide which skaters will get the nod to participate. 25-30 tour dates sounds optimistic after the way SOI has declined in the last few years. I hope they are right and this post Olympic year they will be able to draw crowds.
    I meant to take the high road.... but I missed the exit.

vCash
    Wonder if they'll bring in some of the international skaters, or if it will just be Americans?
    'Life's hard. It's even harder when you're stupid.'--John Wayne

vCash
    After the 2010 Olympics, they had most of the Olympians on tour (or guesting) - some of whom couldn't perform their way out of a paper bag. They also had some way-over-the-hill pros that couldn't perform. They need to get some decent music, choreography and skaters that perform. The Olympic skaters should skate something other than their competitive programs.

Just because a skater is a good competitor doesn't mean they can pull off show/performance skating.

vCash
    Saw this on Facebook: Stars on Ice has announced tour dates and a pre-sale starting Jan 7th. See their website: http://www.starsonice.com/

I am really bummed that neither St. Louis or KC is on the list. I really wanted to go this year.

vCash
    Oh, cool. Any new skating tour is good with me... Hope we can make it to the Anaheim show.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by semogal View Post
    Saw this on Facebook: Stars on Ice has announced tour dates and a pre-sale starting Jan 7th. See their website: http://www.starsonice.com/

I am really bummed that neither St. Louis or KC is on the list. I really wanted to go this year.
    In the Skaters section they have a pic of Katarina Witt next to 'Debi Thomas'. Woops. http://www.starsonice.com/all-time-skaters.html

And next to Sasha Cohen they have her listed as 'Olympic Dance Silver Medallist". Same with Kitty and Peter Carruthers, Roslyn Sumners, Brian Orser and so on. SOI needs to fire their photo editor.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasha'sSpins View Post
    In the Skaters section they have a pic of Katarina Witt next to 'Debi Thomas'. Woops. http://www.starsonice.com/all-time-skaters.html

And next to Sasha Cohen they have her listed as 'Olympic Dance Silver Medallist". Same with Kitty and Peter Carruthers, Roslyn Sumners, Brian Orser and so on. SOI needs to fire their photo editor.
    And the Kerrs are OGMs. In pairs. Never heard about them winning that! Tara Lipinski is another "Olympic Dance Gold Medalist."
    BARK LESS. WAG MORE.

vCash
    And no mention of Kurt Browning?!? But they have two entries for Scott Hamilton with what looks like a photo of Kurt, reproduced twice. Scott is the founder of the tour and they couldn't get his picture right? This job must have been "outsourced"....what a moronic, low quality job....

vCash
    After the 2010 Olympics, they had most of the Olympians on tour (or guesting) - some of whom couldn't perform their way out of a paper bag.
    I agree, but they at least still had Cohen and a few of their more seasoned pros who understood performing. I think partnering with USFS means that SOI will have too many mediocre US skaters and few (if any) non-US skaters and few out of the eligible ranks. I also agree the prospect of a tour comprised of a series of cold spots with mostly not great skaters doing versions of their competitive programs and the encore we've already seen from Nationals does not excite me much. If they are going to do a cold spot tour, they need to have the best in the World, like COI did back in the 90s.

Worlds doesn't end until March 30 and the first tour date is April 4, so it looks like there will not be time to learn and rehearse the classic SOI ensemble type numbers beyond the opening and closing. I so miss when SOI was a good tour with a real creative vision and two months of rehearsals.

Someone asked about Browning. He announced last year that would be his last US tour, so I would not expect to see him this year.

I also think the IMG folks have been smoking some funny stuff to think the US has a good chance of winning the team event. IMO a team medal of any color would be a pretty good result for them.

As for SOI's web site, I have never understood their thinking in rating an Olympic hardware so highly. Which do you think makes Debi Thomas more proud - her Olympic bronze medal or her World Championship? (Still, I'm sure the Kerrs are especially proud of that pairs OGM.)

Hey, SOI, I can code html if you need help.

vCash
    Cohen was terrible when I saw her in the 2010 SOI...it was like she was skating on sleepers. She did a duet with Czisny...and Czisy was much better.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by snobben2345 View Post
    And no mention of Kurt Browning?!? But they have two entries for Scott Hamilton with what looks like a photo of Kurt, reproduced twice. Scott is the founder of the tour and they couldn't get his picture right? This job must have been "outsourced"....what a moronic, low quality job....
    Sounds like it was outsourced to Speedy Cinquanta.

vCash
    Wow, 20 cities is a lot. The sponsors better be hoping for some North American medals in Sochi with the fire power to go with it to sell that many arenas in the US. I didn't see a similar tie to the Stars on Ice Canada tour. Anybody know the schedule there?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by leapfrogonice View Post
    Wow, 20 cities is a lot. The sponsors better be hoping for some North American medals in Sochi with the fire power to go with it to sell that many arenas in the US. I didn't see a similar tie to the Stars on Ice Canada tour. Anybody know the schedule there?
    Their schedule was announced much earlier. Try

http://www.starsonice.ca

Twelve cities are covered, starting April 25th. I hope they employ the same creative team as last time for this leg of the tour. Last year was pretty good.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by centerpt1 View Post
    Cohen was terrible when I saw her in the 2010 SOI...it was like she was skating on sleepers. She did a duet with Czisny...and Czisy was much better.
    Seriously? Maybe Cohen was sick that night, because where I saw it, Cohen hit better position than Czisny in almost every move. I remember that program very clearly because it totally highlighted that Czisny was a lovely skater, but did not have what it took to be a headliner. That was the annoying program where the two skaters were at opposite ends of the rink much of the time, so to see both, I had to keep turning my head right, left, right, left like watching a tennis match. It became clear fairly early on that Cohen was just a little better at everything, so I just watched her when they weren't close enough together to see both. One of my all time favorite soprano duets, though.

having a nice day
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by snobben2345 View Post
    But...but...they DID list Nancy Kwan, right? Every show I ever went to it was inevitable the person next to me asked about her. And Todd-who won the Olympic gold medal, right?

Gd luck IMG. you all may make $$ off the tour but its a long hard slog to get the general public excited about usa skaters.
    Have a nice day!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by semogal View Post

Interesting that they seem to have the skaters likely to be most visible in Sochi (and our best OGM hope). Wonder how this would impact the USFSA tour?

SOI has 2 dates that MIGHT work for me. Will just have to wait and see

vCash
    Wonder how this would impact the USFSA tour?
    I don't understand this question. The essence of the announcement is that SOI and USFS are partnering on the SOI tour in the US. There hasn't been a separate tour here for USFS/ISU skaters for several years now, since the old COI (aka the ISU tour or the Collins tour) merged with SOI.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast