vCash

Vaytsekhovskaya's interview with Voronov `I was desperate at the summer'

Vaytsekhovskaya's interview with Voronov `I was desperate at the summer' for sport-express.ru

Commenting on his skate at the nationals Voronov said `I reached my main goal: am going to the Europeans. I don't want to think ahead now. I just keep working and setting the new goals'

EV: With such a skate as you had in your LP you had a chance to beat Pluschenko
    SV: Am thrilled I had a chance to actually compete with him for the first time in my life. I never had a chance to skate right after him. It was hard - even though his LP was not perfect. Neither was my LP perfect. Was my fault - I repeated 3 jumps: 2 toeloops, 2 axels and 2loops. Which is not allowed. I don't even know why it happened - the first time it happens to me. So I lost about 7 points on the loop. And about 5 on the 3lutz. So yeah, guess all and all I could beat Pluschenko, but what's the point of those `what ifs'?

EV: What motivated you to keep going during the years you achieved nothing yet kept practising?
    SV: I guess my relatives, who kept believing in me no matter what. This season, however, I feel even those who wrote me off already changed their minds. I broke the pattern for those who thought all am capable to do is that one quad, and even that not when it's needed.

EV: Did the coaching switch made that much difference?
    SV: I think the whole team made the difference. Sergey Dudakov, Viktor Adoniev, my relatives, who also take part in my practising process. When I came to Eteri Tutberidze she said: `do you want to try being better? I am willing to help you. If it works - great. If it doesn't - we'll part with no hard feelings'. And we started working. For real

EV: I.e. like you never worked before?
    SV: Exactly. Every day began with coming to the rink an hour before the practice, then I would warm up on the ice, then I would be weighted. I would get scorned for every extra 500grm. I have to admit the habit controlling myself all the time developed quite fast. Also a habit not to argue with a coach and do what she says. Arguing with a Georgian woman is useless- that I got quite fast. I am so grateful to the coach.

EV: I guess it's not a secret that in the USA or Canada the coach wouldn't dare commenting on the skater's looks unless they wanted to end up in the court. Which approach do you think is better?
    SV: I trained in the USA long enough and can tell there are things I just don't get. I dont' get it why the professional coaches who have ambitions work with the girls who weight 80kg and pretend it's ok. I think an athletes who sets high goals has to be prepared to listen to not-too-nice things. Yes, the sport is cruel, but that's how you get to the top.

EV: Did you have to overcome yourself many times since you started working with Tutberidze and her group?
    SV: The whole summer. Sometimes I had a feeling I would never adjust. I was going mad. There were moments when I was desperate. I couldn't take it anymore. I even told the coach that was it - I hit my ceiling.

EV: What did she reply?
    SV: That I'm weak. That I'm a weak person who can do all those things and just can't be bothered. Eteri herself is a very strong person and I respect endlessly. I think that is why she was able to do with me what no one before her did. Of course she was not working with me alone - as it is in the contemporary sport there are more than just a coach and a skater working together.

EV: do you share the ice with Julia Lipnitskaya?
    SV: With the whole group

EV: That's a lot of skaters. Does it feel comfortable?
    SV: Very. Every training becomes a mini competition. It's it cool? Lipnitskaya and I compete all the time, even though she is a girl. Take Adian Pitkeev for example. He is just 15. Of course in some ways he looks up at me, because I'm older, but there are things which I take from him. We can always give each other an advice. I respect him a lot. Also as a rival. All the skaters in our group are quite good. There is not a single one who is not progressing.

EV: Isn't it annoying knowing things are harder for you than for those who are younger?
    SV: And whose fault is that? It's life. If one decides to stay in the sports they have to be expect to see younger than him skaters joining every year. Has to be ready to overcome yourself and adjust. Not try to adjust everything to yourself.

EV: Was it hard competing at the nationals?
    SV: More emotional. I calculated: it was my 10th nationals. Every championship is not only a way to mingle with the others, but it's a way to the top - if you get there you get an extra breathing, or you fall down and start climbing again.
    This season mentally I went thought a huge change. I started enjoying. The training, the competing, the things I went through. It turned out to be a great thing

EV: Speaking of the jumps - what you did in Sochi is all you can?
    SV: Yes. It was all I planned. I wasn't going to skate an easier programme. In my recent 3 competitions I attempted 2 quads and two 3a in the LP. I was able to do it in the last 2 competitions. I landed 4/3 and then a 4 in Zagreb, in Russian nationals it was just 4/2 and 4. Of course the 2nd jump should be a triple, it's not even a discussion

EV: Are you considering putting 2 quads into the SP?
    SV: For that I would need two different quads. I don't have it yet, but we are working on it. Am thinking to a different direction: it's not such a big deal doing the quad in the 2nd part of the programme. It's not the physical strenght this jump requires, but the mental. Actually a lot in figure skating depends on your state of mind.

EV: What do you think will happen at the Olympics?
    SV: You know, I was watching Pozner's interview with Tarasova recently and she said the ice is slippery for everyone. It's hard to predict what will happen at the Olympics. Anyone can screw. It might happen the winner will be someone nobody expected. Actually it is what usually happens. Who could predict Kulik would win the Nagano Olympics? He was just mentally stronger than Stojko, that was it. And SLC- everyone were betting on Pluschenko and not Yagudin. Vancouver? Who could think the guy who doesn't have a quad would win? So we can argue all we want who is better - Chan or Hanju and in the end Fernandez will win.

EV: Who do you like the most?
    SV: I guess Chan. I'm friends with Javier and very fond of Udzuru. But Chan is always interesting. And unpredictable.

vCash
    Thanks TAHbKA. Always interesting to read about how they train and overcome their difficulties and motivation. Voronov sounds like down to earth guy. Wishing him a good skate at Europeans.
    Like the part which he said, "you don't argue with Georgian women".
    Prosperity makes friends, adversity tries them. – Publilius Syrus

YEAH!
    vCash
    He seems very chill. Surprised he intends to stay on.

Loving on babies!
    vCash
    Awesome attitude, and kudos to him for continuing to get stronger in his work ethic and technical elements as he ages. Wishing him great luck at Euros, and beyond.
    I am free of all prejudices. I hate everyone equally.~W. C. Fields

vCash
    Thank you TAHbKA!

Quote Originally Posted by TAHbKA View Post

SV: You know, I was watching Pozner's interview with Tarasova recently and she said the ice is slippery for everyone. It's hard to predict what will happen at the Olympics. Anyone can screw. It might happen the winner will be someone nobody expected. Actually it is what usually happens. Who could predict Kulik would win the Nagano Olympics? He was just mentally stronger than Stojko, that was it. And SLC- everyone were betting on Pluschenko and not Yagudin. Vancouver? Who could think the guy who doesn't have a quad would win? So we can argue all we want who is better - Chan or Hanju and in the end Fernandez will win.
    JAVI FOR THE WIN!!!!
    As of March 2013 - no longer scared of TAHbKA or Andrey aka Pushkin

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TAHbKA View Post
    Vaytsekhovskaya's interview with Voronov `I was desperate at the summer' for sport-express.ru

Commenting on his skate at the nationals Voronov said `I reached my main goal: am going to the Europeans. I don't want to think ahead now. I just keep working and setting the new goals'

EV: With such a skate as you had in your LP you had a chance to beat Pluschenko
    SV: Am thrilled I had a chance to actually compete with him for the first time in my life. I never had a chance to skate right after him. It was hard - even though his LP was not perfect. Neither was my LP perfect. Was my fault - I repeated 3 jumps: 2 toeloops, 2 axels and 2loops. Which is not allowed. I don't even know why it happened - the first time it happens to me. So I lost about 7 points on the loop. And about 5 on the 3lutz. So yeah, guess all and all I could beat Pluschenko, but what's the point of those `what ifs'?

EV: What motivated you to keep going during the years you achieved nothing yet kept practising?
    SV: I guess my relatives, who kept believing in me no matter what. This season, however, I feel even those who wrote me off already changed their minds. I broke the pattern for those who thought all am capable to do is that one quad, and even that not when it's needed.

EV: Did the coaching switch made that much difference?
    SV: I think the whole team made the difference. Sergey Dudakov, Viktor Adoniev, my relatives, who also take part in my practising process. When I came to Eteri Tutberidze she said: `do you want to try being better? I am willing to help you. If it works - great. If it doesn't - we'll part with no hard feelings'. And we started working. For real

EV: I.e. like you never worked before?
    SV: Exactly. Every day began with coming to the rink an hour before the practice, then I would warm up on the ice, then I would be weighted. I would get scorned for every extra 500grm. I have to admit the habit controlling myself all the time developed quite fast. Also a habit not to argue with a coach and do what she says. Arguing with a Georgian woman is useless- that I got quite fast. I am so grateful to the coach.

EV: I guess it's not a secret that in the USA or Canada the coach wouldn't dare commenting on the skater's looks unless they wanted to end up in the court. Which approach do you think is better?
    SV: I trained in the USA long enough and can tell there are things I just don't get. I dont' get it why the professional coaches who have ambitions work with the girls who weight 80kg and pretend it's ok. I think an athletes who sets high goals has to be prepared to listen to not-too-nice things. Yes, the sport is cruel, but that's how you get to the top.

EV: Did you have to overcome yourself many times since you started working with Tutberidze and her group?
    SV: The whole summer. Sometimes I had a feeling I would never adjust. I was going mad. There were moments when I was desperate. I couldn't take it anymore. I even told the coach that was it - I hit my ceiling.

EV: What did she reply?
    SV: That I'm weak. That I'm a weak person who can do all those things and just can't be bothered. Eteri herself is a very strong person and I respect endlessly. I think that is why she was able to do with me what no one before her did. Of course she was not working with me alone - as it is in the contemporary sport there are more than just a coach and a skater working together.

EV: do you share the ice with Julia Lipnitskaya?
    SV: With the whole group

EV: That's a lot of skaters. Does it feel comfortable?
    SV: Very. Every training becomes a mini competition. It's it cool? Lipnitskaya and I compete all the time, even though she is a girl. Take Adian Pitkeev for example. He is just 15. Of course in some ways he looks up at me, because I'm older, but there are things which I take from him. We can always give each other an advice. I respect him a lot. Also as a rival. All the skaters in our group are quite good. There is not a single one who is not progressing.

EV: Isn't it annoying knowing things are harder for you than for those who are younger?
    SV: And whose fault is that? It's life. If one decides to stay in the sports they have to be expect to see younger than him skaters joining every year. Has to be ready to overcome yourself and adjust. Not try to adjust everything to yourself.

EV: Was it hard competing at the nationals?
    SV: More emotional. I calculated: it was my 10th nationals. Every championship is not only a way to mingle with the others, but it's a way to the top - if you get there you get an extra breathing, or you fall down and start climbing again.
    This season mentally I went thought a huge change. I started enjoying. The training, the competing, the things I went through. It turned out to be a great thing

EV: Speaking of the jumps - what you did in Sochi is all you can?
    SV: Yes. It was all I planned. I wasn't going to skate an easier programme. In my recent 3 competitions I attempted 2 quads and two 3a in the LP. I was able to do it in the last 2 competitions. I landed 4/3 and then a 4 in Zagreb, in Russian nationals it was just 4/2 and 4. Of course the 2nd jump should be a triple, it's not even a discussion

EV: Are you considering putting 2 quads into the SP?
    SV: For that I would need two different quads. I don't have it yet, but we are working on it. Am thinking to a different direction: it's not such a big deal doing the quad in the 2nd part of the programme. It's not the physical strenght this jump requires, but the mental. Actually a lot in figure skating depends on your state of mind.

EV: Who do you like the most?
    SV: I guess Chan. I'm friends with Javier and very fond of Udzuru. But Chan is always interesting. And unpredictable.
    Stojko lost in Nagano because Kulik was mentally stronger? Ummm no i think Elvis didn't win because he had a groin injury that basically took away any chance of winning. I doubt anyone not as strong as Elvis could have skated like he did including Kulik.

vCash
    Thanks for the translation.

I like voronov, and always felt so bad that he didn't get to go to Vancouver in 2010. Am hoping that he wins a bronze medal at the Europeans. It's not totally impossible.

Two places! Atlanta suburbs and in the North Georgia Mountains
    vCash
    I have always felt drawn to this young man for some maternal reason...I always liked him. I do wish he would work on his costumes and clean up his hair and face fuzz, but he sounds like a very stable and positive guy with a good balance of seriousness and upbeat attitude. I will be pulling for him at Euros and beyond! Thanks so much for the interview!