Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by misskarne View Post
    I mean for crying out loud kid, Mishin wanted to fix your jumps. You could have nice pretty jumps now instead of those horrible-looking things. There is a reason he wanted your jumps to look like Gachinski's; Gachinski's are so much better looking than yours even when he splats! But nooooooo, you know better than Mishin. *shakes head*.
    Well, I always wondered how one can have such horrific jump technique (and still land quads! ) – now it`s clear: when you teach yourself and stick with that even when some of the best coaches in the world try to fix it. I wonder how long Kovtun’s body will last with it – bad technique unfortunately quite often turns against the skater.

Quote Originally Posted by misskarne View Post
    And how DARE he carry on about Plushenko's PCS when his own were an even bigger joke! .
    This is actually a joke! Obviously the boy does not lack self-esteem!
    Now I’m waiting for an interview of camp Mishin questioning Kovtun’s PCS.

Quote Originally Posted by allezfred View Post
    He clearly needs Tarasova to continue doing this to keep him in line.
    OMG!
    Thanks for sharing, loved the interviews parts with Elena and Adelina!

vCash
    I thought the gossip was that he was kicked out of Morozov's group for drinking all the time (although, that would be pretty rich coming from Morozov...)

Main Offender
    cooking with Alexei Rogonov and Nodari Maisuradze
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by morqet View Post
    I thought the gossip was that he was kicked out of Morozov's group for drinking all the time (although, that would be pretty rich coming from Morozov...)
    Efremenkov was kicked out along with him back then for the same reason. Probably they were drinking buddies.
    "I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine."

Bruce Lee

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cherub721 View Post
    And less of this.
    OMG. Tarasova is a very expressive lady indeed. The puffing of her face reminds me of .... childbirth. Looks like she may have a heart attack any minute too. Cameras do like to zoom on coaches who are highly expressive and excited. Hard to keep a straight face.

I like Russian skaters' interviews. Most are very frank and candid about everything. This lad is interesting. Like how he described the quads. I remember his 'victorious' reaction in the K&C after his FP. Well.... just as expressive as his coach, Tarasova.
    Prosperity makes friends, adversity tries them. – Publilius Syrus

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by allezfred View Post
    He clearly needs Tarasova to continue doing this to keep him in line.
    The "this" is at 07:55 in the video, which is mainly about Russian ladies, Sotnikova and Radionova.

In spite of all the drama and politics surrounding Kovtun, I can't help but like him too. He's an interesting and attractive young man with a lot of talent. He's self-aware, forthright and seemingly comfortable with the media, which bodes well in his chosen career. And btw doesn't being Russian and being cocksure just come with the territorial/ cultural tradition? If you want to survive and to have success as a figure skater, being confident, having a killer instinct, and being lucky are huge assets. And it's no secret that being Russian can often help a skater grab bonus points (not to mention that TAT and good luck are often synonymous). Lots of intriguing quotes by the K kid in this interview. This remark stands out for me re Kovtun's time in Mishin's camp: "I was quite a piece of work as a kid ... I understood it was not my city and not my coach."

Kovtun obviously broke through largely as a result of Tarasova being on his side. She sees something special in him it seems, and I wouldn't bet against Tarasova. If I was a young figure skater (especially one in Russia), I'd be back-flipping with joy to have TAT on my side! Still, I hope that Kovtun has an opportunity to fully marinate and that he doesn't get extra marks due to the Olympics being in Sochi. Let Kovtun battle over the next quad for Olympic glory.

All this talk of TAT has me cracking up even more over this anecdote from Push Dick's Button:

Uncle Dickie on Ilia Kulik's 1998 OGM free skate performance,
    After the competition, I congratulated Tatiana Tarasova ... on her success in guiding Ilia to an Olympic gold medal. She smiled and, turning to me said, 'Thank you, but I had nothing to do with it. He does what he wants. I just held his coat.'

It seems with the "piece of work" kid, Kovtun, TAT has her hands full with much more than just holding his coat, at least for now.

ETA:
    And less of this.
    Last edited by aftershocks; 12-28-2013 at 01:38 AM.

vCash
    I can't stop laughing at the concept of Gachinski and Kovtun "having words," they both look so harmless... I would be more afraid of Mishin.
    I can't imagine Gachinski saying anything negative about anyone other than himself...I don't think he's ever made a peep about anyone else.

vCash
    I thought this was an interesting interview to read and I really liked Kovtun´s answers. He had things to say and he said them, which I appreciate very much in a person.

Blergh
    vCash
    I can totally see many coaches having trouble with his outspokenness (or rudeness depending on your perspective). Hasn't he gotten on Twitter fights with people? And I asked this in the U.S. Ice Dance thread, but I'm still trying to figure out why he'd write "virgin" on Evan Bates's college graduation photo.
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VIETgrlTerifa View Post
    I can totally see many coaches having trouble with his outspokenness (or rudeness depending on your perspective). Hasn't he gotten on Twitter fights with people? And I asked this in the U.S. Ice Dance thread, but I'm still trying to figure out why he'd write "virgin" on Evan Bates's college graduation photo.
    Not sure how that word is used in Russian, but in french it would be very insulting to call someone "puceau" (a male virgin), it means a mixture of young, silly, inexperienced, pusillanimous (if there's such a word)...I didn't know he'd written that. Or maybe it has some strange but more anodyne meaning associated with having just graduated, of being a virgin graduate. But with Maksim being such a cocky little thing, who knows

He needs more Tat-slapping. I think the tough experiences he talks about are partly due to the genuine harshness of the russian skating world, and partly a product of his own drama-kinging and cockiness. Nevertheless, the description of the "hatemosphere" in the Morozov training camp is enlightening.

for the translation and for candid, dramatik russian interviews!
    Touching the void.

vCash
    says : the whole Mishin episode was when Kovtun was just 12 y.o.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TAHbKA View Post
    says : the whole Mishin episode was when Kovtun was just 12 y.o.
    12 year old Kovtun vs 13 year old Gachinski: battle of the beanpoles

Ah, so he was a pre-teen who thought he knew everything and better than the adults; of course.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aftershocks View Post
    Kovtun obviously broke through largely as a result of Tarasova being on his side. She sees something special in him it seems, and I wouldn't bet against Tarasova.
    Tarasova loves pretty boy, everyone knows it. If he's smart, then even better,

Watch me move
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by caseyedwards View Post
    It's so funny to hear him talk about politics in favor of other skaters! Lol who has benefitted anywhere in the world more in recent years from Policitcs then him?
    Plushenko.
    Who wants to watch rich people eat pizza? They must have loved that in Bangladesh. - Randy Newman on the 2014 Oscars broadcast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    Plushenko.
    Lol. No.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VIETgrlTerifa View Post
    Yes, he often tries to punch people in Twitter and Instagram.
    It's a common thing among Russian teenagers to call someone who studies a lot a virgin; they believe that if you spend too much time over books, you have no time for affairs with girls, or you're just too shy and awkward to even approach the other gender.
    He impied Evan's private life is close to non-existant due to being a diligent student. If he knew English better, he'd probably use the word 'nerd'.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12