View Poll Results: Who will be the OGM in ladies

Voters
93. You may not vote on this poll
  • Kim

    63 67.74%
  • Asada

    15 16.13%
  • Suzuki

    4 4.30%
  • Lipnitskaia

    10 10.75%
  • Kostner

    1 1.08%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 28
  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    600
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0

    Olympic ladies gold medal winner

    It seems that the only skaters in serious contention for the Olympic ladies Gold right now are Yu Na Kim and Mao Asada, but perhaps Julia Lipnitskaia, Carolina Kostner, and Akiko Suzuki for various reasons have an outside shot at gold. Sotnikova, Wagner, are not part of this poll since they could medal, but not win the gold. Who would be your early guess to win the Olympic ladies gold at this point.

  2. #2
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    600
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I have a feeling it will be Kim or Suzuki. I think Suzuki might have a huge shock for everyone. I thought Julia might be the shock before but losing Russian Nationals kills her chances of anything more than a bronze or maybe silver at the Olympics. I still think she will finish over Sotnikova at the Games, but you cant win the Olympics after losing to someone like that at your own Nationals. Asada can still recover from losing Nationals and win the Olympics as she has more clout over a long time, but I just dont think she will skate well enough to. Her program is too difficult to skate cleanly, and she hasnt ever come that close.

  3. #3
    Mad for mangelwurzels
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Failing to grow a forest in the desert
    Posts
    10,329
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    60551
    Quote Originally Posted by KimGOAT View Post
    Sotnikova, Wagner, are not part of this poll since they could medal, but not win the gold.
    Thank you for communicating your wisdom to us poor benighted souls, O Mistress KimGOAT, the one true Soothsayer.

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    1,933
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Kim, since I thought it was between her and Asada before but Asada didn't skate well at Japanese Nats. There's a small chance Suzuki will take it but I don't see her having the SOL twice in such a short period of time (although I'd be happy if I was wrong!).

  5. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    600
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    What would make me mad is if Suzuki outskated both Kim and Asada at the Games but the judges still gave her only silver or bronze. I agree it will be hard for her to have the SOL twice, but if she does she should be rewarded. Kim and Asada though are both capable of skating better than even her best, so it doesnt automatically mean she should win, but if they dont skate better than her that night she should.

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    144
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by KimGOAT View Post
    I thought Julia might be the shock before but losing Russian Nationals kills her chances of anything more than a bronze or maybe silver at the Olympics. I still think she will finish over Sotnikova at the Games, but you cant win the Olympics after losing to someone like that at your own Nationals. Asada can still recover from losing Nationals and win the Olympics as she has more clout over a long time, but I just dont think she will skate well enough to. Her program is too difficult to skate cleanly, and she hasnt ever come that close.
    I don't agree re: Liptnitskaia; we have to remember that Sotnikova still has the consistency of pudding, and she could bomb in Sochi like she could have the performances of her life. I'm not confident about her going into the games. I think Lipnitskaia will skate clean; if that will be enough for a medal, that remains to be seen. Shizuka Arakawa was 3rd in Japanese Nationals in 2006 going into the OG, so I don't think your view is valid. Judges have shown to be pretty fair in terms of rewarding skaters that rise to the moment, despite tougher seasons (Denis Ten in 2013, Mao Asada in 2010).

    I think Suzuki will get a big boost of reputation from winning Japanese Nationals, but again, we will see. Hopefully international judges will be more generous with PCS; they have been conservative with Suzuki IMO.

    Does anyone know if Kostner will be competing at Europeans? It would be a good opportunity to figure out her recovery from injury and place in the world of skating ATM.

    Quote Originally Posted by orientalplane View Post
    Thank you for communicating your wisdom to us poor benighted souls, O Mistress KimGOAT, the one true Soothsayer.

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    600
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Russian National ladies are not that strong, or atleast werent before this year. The Russian ladies were only 9th and 10th at Worlds last year when Julia was age ineligible and kept out. Julia wasnt a big favorite to win Olympics even before Nationals. So that is why I dont think you can not win there and win the Olympics. I already said I fully expect her to place higher than Sotnikova at the Games despite losing to her at Nationals, so it is not Sotnikova that is any problem for her anyway. It is that she needed to keep bulding her reputation up to it get it even close to Kim and Asada, and losing to not a very good skater at her own Nationals is a blow to that. The other examples- Arakawa was already a World Champion, Hughes in 2002 was part of a super deep U.S team who could have swept the podium at Olympics so 3rd at Nationals was no big deal.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    24,303
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    45242
    Quote Originally Posted by KimGOAT View Post
    Russian National ladies are not that strong, or atleast werent before this year. The Russian ladies were only 9th and 10th at Worlds last year when Julia was age ineligible and kept out. Julia wasnt a big favorite to win Olympics even before Nationals. So that is why I dont think you can not win there and win the Olympics. I already said I fully expect her to place higher than Sotnikova at the Games despite losing to her at Nationals, so it is not Sotnikova that is any problem for her anyway. It is that she needed to keep bulding her reputation up to it get it even close to Kim and Asada, and losing to not a very good skater at her own Nationals is a blow to that. The other examples- Arakawa was already a World Champion, Hughes in 2002 was part of a super deep U.S team who could have swept the podium at Olympics so 3rd at Nationals was no big deal.
    I agree with this. Julia's situation is different from Shizuka's or Sarah's. She has never competed at the senior worlds, so she needs all the push from her fed. I suspect they wanted to boost Adelina's confidence because she is such a headcase but they may have hurt Julia's chances somewhat. I still think if Julia wins Europeans and at least 2 spots ahead of Adelina (nothing personal against Adelina; just a hypothetical situation), it may raise her in the eyes of the judges.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    16,930
    vCash
    1600
    Rep Power
    4720
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    I agree with this. Julia's situation is different from Shizuka's or Sarah's. She has never competed at the senior worlds, so she needs all the push from her fed. I suspect they wanted to boost Adelina's confidence because she is such a headcase but they may have hurt Julia's chances somewhat. I still think if Julia wins Europeans and at least 2 spots ahead of Adelina (nothing personal against Adelina; just a hypothetical situation), it may raise her in the eyes of the judges.
    First of all I disagree. The international judges are high on Sotnikova when she skates well. She finished ahead of a clean Julia in the short at GPF. I don't think losing to an almost clean Adelina is a huge thing for Julia.

    And I suspect the result would have been the same under an international panel.

  10. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    527
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Suzuki could really pull a surprise win if new-found confidence lights a fire in her while Yuna and Mao make mistakes. That would be wonderful for figure skating, doing away with the whole counting points and young jumping girls mentality. A woman of almost 29 winning with Joie de Vivre would make many fans fall in love with the sport I would think.

    On a realistic level, however, Kim is the most likely to win (consistency, reputation, and lack of weakness). The ladies event is going to be very exciting! I simply hope the most deserving skaters are rewarded

  11. #11
    Curiously curious
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    411
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    1357
    Amazing that Akiko has a couple of votes and Caro has none. Who woulda thunk it a year ago?

  12. #12
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Age
    22
    Posts
    12,933
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by bek View Post
    First of all I disagree. The international judges are high on Sotnikova when she skates well. She finished ahead of a clean Julia in the short at GPF. I don't think losing to an almost clean Adelina is a huge thing for Julia.

    And I suspect the result would have been the same under an international panel.
    That just means Julia isnt good enough to win the OGM, as some were foolishly hyping only weeks ago (despite that Asada with her worst LP of the season absolutely crushed her at the GPF). Someone who cant beat an "almost clean Sotnikova" even at their best isnt going to beat Kim or Asada unless they bomb. She also wont beat Suzuki if she skates like she did at Japanese Nationals, or Kostner if she skates close to her best. She might get say a bronze or atleast a top 5 due to her consistency, but there are probably 8 people who can beat her if everyone skates cleanly (apparently including Sotnikova too) and Kim and Asada have a mammoth mistake margin over her.

  13. #13

    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Sleep in heavenly peace, my BH
    Posts
    11,807
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    1521
    Every ladies OGM winner since 1948 has been on the World podium prior to her Olympic win. That is the case for every name on the poll except Lipnitskaia. If skating perfectly she couldn't beat an imperfect Sotnikova on home turf, I don't see her beating a near-perfect Kim or Asada on Olympic ice. She just won't be able to match their PCS scores.

  14. #14

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    16,930
    vCash
    1600
    Rep Power
    4720
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    That just means Julia isnt good enough to win the OGM. Someone who cant beat an "almost clean Sotnikova" even at their best isnt going to beat Kim or Asada unless they bomb. She also wont beat Suzuki if she skates like she did at Japanese Nationals, or Kostner if she skates close to her best. She might get say a bronze or atleast a top 5 due to her consistency, but there are probably 8 people who can beat her if everyone skates cleanly (apparently including Sotnikova too) and Kim and Asada have a mammoth mistake margin over her.

    Who thought she would beat Kim or Asada if they skated well.. I didn't.

  15. #15
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Age
    22
    Posts
    12,933
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by bek View Post
    Who thought she would beat Kim or Asada if they skated well.. I didn't.
    Well some were talking about her having a chance at the OGM before Russian Nationals. I could see after the Rostelecom Cup with how it was judged, but the GPF should have already served as evidence enough someone like Asada doesnt even have to skate cleanly to beat her, she just has to avoid a total meltdown.

  16. #16
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    276
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    The real question is: Will Mao Asada even medal?

  17. #17
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    527
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirai4life View Post
    The real question is: Will Mao Asada even medal?
    I think she'll get it together and likely medal. She needs to drop the second 3A from her FS though, or at least that's the impression I'm getting from general FSU opinion (and I totally agree).

  18. #18
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Age
    22
    Posts
    12,933
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    The impression I get from Mao is she so badly wants that gold medal and will do anything to try and get it, even if it means a real risk of falling right off the podium. So I dont see her dropping the second 3A from her FS, and if others step up the way Suzuki, Murakami, and Sotnikova all did at their Nationals, yes she could wind falling off the podium if she continues to find it too much a reach to avoid some signficant point draining mistakes (the 3axels tend to drop a ton of potential points when they arent done properly) with her current jump layout. I think she feels she needs what she is currently attempting to beat Yu Na Kim for that gold medal though, and to somehow against the odds do it all cleanly.

    I could be right, and it might be more a personal best performance to end her career she is going for, and wanting it to either be at the Olympics or Worlds on home ice. However given her ambitious nature that too would probably mean she isnt dropping the 2nd 3A. She has done 3 3Axels well in competition before, and even did it on the biggest stage at the Olympics, and so for her probably feels the ultimate competition would have to include that.

  19. #19

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Sending positive thoughts to Mirai..
    Posts
    3,684
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    7566
    Quote Originally Posted by KimGOAT View Post
    It seems that the only skaters in serious contention for the Olympic ladies Gold right now are Yu Na Kim and Mao Asada, but perhaps Julia Lipnitskaia, Carolina Kostner, and Akiko Suzuki for various reasons have an outside shot at gold. Sotnikova, Wagner, are not part of this poll since they could medal, but not win the gold. Who would be your early guess to win the Olympic ladies gold at this point.
    It's the Olympics. And it's ice. ANYTHING can happen.
    Congrats to my ♥Baroque Rock Princess Adelina♥Meryl&Charlie♥Tatiana&Maxim♥!Team ♥Mirai♥Adam♥Julia♥

  20. #20
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Age
    22
    Posts
    12,933
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I guess another question is which potential winners (or not even thought of potential winners) would surpass Hughes (or maybe Arakawa, but I say Hughes over her) as the biggest surprise winner ever should the Sochi ice get particularly slippery.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •