Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Russian Ladies

vCash

Russian Ladies

As expected, Sotnikova and Lipnitskaya have gone 1-2 with Radionova finishing third, Proklova fourth and Leonova 5th.. Pogoriliaya and Tuk bombed to finish 8th and 10th.. It seems pretty clear whom will be sent now to Sochi and Worlds...

http://fsrussia.ru/upl/results/1314/...314/SEG012.HTM
    Last edited by eurodance2001; 12-26-2013 at 05:34 PM. Reason: Adding link

vCash
    I haven't watched yet, but it doesn't sound like Pogorilaya and Tuktamysheva bombed, the depth is just such that with so-so/just decent performances they finished that low because so many other skaters were better.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RFOS View Post
    I haven't watched yet, but it doesn't sound like Pogorilaya and Tuktamysheva bombed, the depth is just such that with so-so/just decent performances they finished that low because so many other skaters were better.
    Their short programs were weak.. Here's Anna's for example: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2cWVnXsR7x0

Combo touchdown and possible downgrade, tight triple loop, bobble on flying spin..

vCash
    I know there's a Russian Sochi thread already open, but that one has been hijacked it seems by Plushy-gate..

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by eurodance2001 View Post
    I know there's a Russian Sochi thread already open
    I've posted the Russian Ladies final standings (with last names in English) in that GSD thread: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...=1#post4088543
    Last edited by Sylvia; 12-27-2013 at 12:30 AM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

Awaiting Validation
    vCash
    I wonder who they will send as alternate. I never heard of the 4th place finisher. Is she a junior? Maybe Leonova will be the alternate

If anything Adelina can certainly rock Russian nationals. If only she could do what she does there other places....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Blondie12 View Post
    I wonder who they will send as alternate. I never heard of the 4th place finisher. Is she a junior? Maybe Leonova will be the alternate

If anything Adelina can certainly rock Russian nationals. If only she could do what she does there other places....
    The girls eligible for Euros/Olys/Worlds are as follows in the places they finished:

1. Sotnikova (1 SP, 2 FS)
    2. Lipnitskaya (2 SP, 1 FS)
    5. Leonova (4 SP, 7 FS)
    8. Pogorilaya (10 SP, 5 FS)
    9. Gosviani (6 SP, 10 FS)
    10. Tuktamysheva (9 SP, 9 FS)

So unless they make an exception for Liza, the 1st alternate for the Olympics and 3rd entrant for Euros is likely to be between Leonova and Pogorilaya. Leonova placed ahead of Pogorilaya here by a fair margin (7 points), but nearly all of it was in PCS, and even with the deficit Pogorilaya was able to overtake her in the FS, so Pogorilaya may still be considered due to her winning gold and bronze at her GP events, qualifying for the GPF, scoring 170+ in all her international competitions this season, and beating Leonova in the FS here at Nationals.

If it were up to me I'd sent Pogo to Europeans as she's proven herself well enough this season and probably have her as 1st alternate to the Olympics as well. I could see Liza being named as 1st alternate for the Olympics though tentatively and sending Leonova to Euros and then depending on how she does there switch her for 1st alternate if necessary. Looking at the scoring at Nationals, it would seem that Pogorilaya would have a decent chance to make the JW team should she chose to compete at Junior Nationals. She lost to Sahkanovich and Medvedeva here by a slim margin but beat both in the FS and in PCS in both programs, so I would think, if they all go clean at Junior Nationals, Pogorilaya would come out ahead. Not sure how she'd stack up next to Proklova and Sotskova so it still might not cut it, but she does have a shot. Honestly though, with the success Pogo had on the senior circuit and her consistency this season, I think she'd be better off going to Euros. In my opinion she's done enough to deserve it, but idk if the Fed will see it the same way, looking at the scoring, it seems they are pushing for Leonova more than Pogorilaya, even though Leonova is past her peak and Pogorilaya is on the rise and has a bright future IMO. I don't think one shaky SP from Pogo and one good one from Leonova should be enough to give Leonova the ticket to Euros but we'll see...

Does anyone know when an official announcement will be made?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RFOS View Post
    They did not exactly bomb, but a fall in the SP in a very competitive field is a big setback (Liza)

Pogo's SP skate was very sloppy; spins were awful. She did 3Lz2t but stepped out of the 2t. So not exactly a bomb, but since many others were skating clean with 3Lz3t and better spins, etc. she placed low.
    Last edited by Vash01; 12-26-2013 at 07:34 PM.

vCash
    Yes Lipnitskaia and Sotnikova are now certain to go to Sochi and Worlds. They could probably both skip Europeans altogether if they want to, since nothing any girl could go there would jeapordize there spot, even someone winning with a 220. The only question is who is the 3rd girl they will name to Europeans, and who will be the 1st and 2nd alternates to Europeans (important as someone might well skip that) and 1st alternate for both Olympics and Worlds.

vCash
    I don't think either Lip or Sot will skip the Europeans. It's their chance to get more international exposure and establish themselves going into the Olympics. If either one beats Carolina, it will put her in a very good position in Sochi.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    They did not exactly bomb, but a fall in the SP in a very competitive field is a big setback (Liza)

Pogo's SP skate was very sloppy; spins were awful. She did 3Lz2t but stepped out of the 2t. So not exactly a bomb, but since many others were skating clean with 3Lz3t and better spins, etc. she placed low.
    It was a bit shaky, but we're definitely spoiled these days if those spins are considered "awful." OK, the flying camel was pretty bad but I'd do a +1 on the other two. And she did a 3Lz+3T, though the 3T looked < with a touchdown, so -2 there. Loop was fine, if I were to take off for anything it would be the moderate pause going in, and the double axel was very nice. She did trip slightly in the footwork I noticed. It's a testament to how amazing the field is that that was only good enough for 10th place and I'll look forward to watching more of the performances soon.

vCash
    I think the Russians would want both girls at Euros. And even if one or both bombed they'd still be on the Olympic team. This after all was the team they wanted.

vCash
    Many of these ladies would have won the championships in some other countries.

vCash
    Liza, Liza, Liza...I do wish she'd get another coach. Her skates here weren't exactly disasters, but I am appalled at her stagnation over the past several seasons. She has a lot of talent and fire and I'm willing to excuse her recent jump problems as inevitable because of her growth spurt, but there are many other aspects of her skating that her team should have been working on over the years and haven't.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bek View Post
    I think the Russians would want both girls at Euros. And even if one or both bombed they'd still be on the Olympic team. This after all was the team they wanted.
    I can't imagine they won't go to Euros. They need as much exposure and practice as they can get, I would think.
    DH - and that's just my opinion

vCash
    When I said the team the Russian fed wanted- its also their best team. I'm thrilled though that both girls skated really well and left no doubt about who belongs in Sochi!

vCash
    It's also good that the 3rd member of that team is an older skater with previous experience (although Adelina has been there once). Had it been Anna Pogorilaya (and I do respect her competitiveness and consistency), it would have been yet another 15 year old, going to her first Euros.

vCash
    It's also good that the 3rd member of that team is an older skater with previous experience (although Adelina has been there once). Had it been Anna Pogorilaya (and I do respect her competitiveness and consistency), it would have been yet another 15 year old, going to her first Euros.
    While I feel bad for Anna as I feel she's the one that deserves the spot more, I do agree with this. After seeing what happened to Korobeynikova at Worlds in 2012 as a 15 year old, I imagine the Fed would have to be wary of the situation. Plus there's the chance with Anna and Julia being so young that one of them could experience an abrupt growth spurt of sorts that could really through their whole skating off. I don't think it's likely to happen, but, you do have to wonder, when the girls don't have textbook jump technique and are doing very difficult combos, without looking that strong physically yet and having such narrow hips. I guess on the one hand, they might be better now than they will ever be in the future, but no one really knows when "the future" will arrive or whatnot.

vCash
    Had it been Anna Pogorilaya (and I do respect her competitiveness and consistency), it would have been yet another 15 year old, going to her first Euros.
    Quote Originally Posted by pinky166 View Post
    While I feel bad for Anna as I feel she's the one that deserves the spot more, I do agree with this. After seeing what happened to Korobeynikova at Worlds in 2012 as a 15 year old, I imagine the Fed would have to be wary of the situation.

I can't see anything wrong with "yet another 15 year old, going to her first Euros". Adelina and Liza did pretty well last year, both getting medals. Gosviani skated decently too, considering that it was her first big international competition. Unlike the others, she had not done JGP events or junior worlds so for her it was really big senior competition without any preparations with bigger junior or senior competitions. I remember what happened to Korobeynikova at Worlds in 2012, but on the other hand one must also remember what happened to Korobeynikova at Europeans in 2012.

vCash
    Many of these ladies would have won the championships in some other countries.
    They would have won THIS championships a few years back..Doronina, anyone...? Petushkova? Ievleva? Gerboltd? They were the cream of the crop like 6 years ago

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast