vCash

What do the young Russian ladies need to do to move ahead of the pack?

After watching the amazing talent in the Russian ladies field, I am wondering what any of them need to do to separate themselves from the rest of the pack? They are all doing (and landing) 3Lz3t, 3f3t, 2A3t, etc. The spins and footwork levels can create some separation, but as far as jumps go, they are about equal. Someone needs to up the ante, or it's going to be left up to the judges whose PCS they want to pad up.

Here are a few ideas on what a Russian lady that wants to get to the top (and make the world/Olympic team next several years):

(Note: Changing country is the last resort; not a strategy to get to the top in Russia, so I am not listing it as an option)

1.Add a 3A and a 3A combination to the SP and LP to differentiate themselves

2.Do two 3-3 combinations (3Lz3t and 3f3R to maximize) in the LP, but that still leaves the SP as a question mark. As we saw there were so many clean SP performances

3.Achieve level 4's on everything and execute them perfectly

4.Work on improving the quality of jumps - no ur, use correct edge, height and power of the jumps

5.Focus on basic skating skills before getting into more difficult jumps (but their bodies are young only so long) and create difficult transitions- somewhat like what Chan has done.

6.Add a quad jump (we may never see this by a singles lady; the risk is too high)

7.As we are seeing, Julia's jump consistency and high quality spins are paying big dividends. Use this as a model, but improve on that by improving the power and height of the jumps

Any other ideas?

vCash
    Throw in Yuna Kim's expressive arms and face, Mao Asada's run of the blade and flow, Carolina Kostner's speed and power, and Akiko Suzuki's interpretation and Joie de Vivre, let simmer in a pot for a few years with their already impressive jumping repertoire and PRESTO! ...You will have what the young Russian ladies are missing.

In short, they need time to mature into ladies skaters. They're already nearly maxing out amazing technical prowess (jumps and spins), but they need to put the time into maturing/developing as complete skaters while keeping that technical content. A 3A never hurts though but technically, consistency is the key (ala Kwan, Kim)

vCash
    Skaters that have a huge advantage in reputation with the judges are retiring after this season- Kim, Asada, Kostner. The number 1 spot will be open for someone to grab, and the Russian ladies will be amongst the ones with the best shot at that. For this year, pretty much nothing, too little time. Just try and skate their best and hope it is enough for a medal.

Amongst the Russians well Sotnikova and Lipnitskaia are on the leading edge now. Sotnikova could have better programs that showcase her true talents better than her ones the last few years, and could clean up the technique on some of her jumps. Lipnitskaya needs to work on making her jumps bigger and stronger, improve her basic skating and speed, grow in maturity and strength. Tuktamysheva needs to get her consistency back, really needs to start doing clean short program, and leads to leave Mishin and get an artistic and choreographic overhaul too. Anna P. needs to do alot of the same things as Julia, just is further behind now being even yonger. Radionova just needs to manage her growth spurt and still have her jumps intact. I think she is going in the right direction.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    Skaters that have a huge advantage in reputation with the judges are retiring after this season- Kim, Asada, Kostner. The number 1 spot will be open for someone to grab, and the Russian ladies will be amongst the ones with the best shot at that.
    I think you misunderstood the question, JJ. The thread is meant for competition among Russian ladies, not internationally. I am sure their top 3 will do very well internationally. The tough part would be making the world team. How do they get into the top 3 in Russia?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    I think you misunderstood the question, JJ. The thread is meant for competition among Russian ladies, not internationally. I am sure their top 3 will do very well internationally. The tough part would be making the world team. How do they get into the top 3 in Russia?
    Well for Sotnikova and Lipnitskaia it would simply be just skate well. They do and for the moment they have nothing to worry about, nobody else in Russia can touch them or take them off any team.

For the others, they have to figure out ways to catch up to those two who are now suddenly far ahead of them. Anna needs to skate bigger, jump bigger, gain in maturity and expression, improve her basics. Tuktamysheva has most of the raw tools but needs to start skating clean short program, competing better, and needs better choreography than Mishin can give her. Radionova needs to worry most of all about managing her growth spurt (and Julia will to some degree) but with their fast spin and effecient rotation they are the ones I could see gaining a quad or triple axel in the future, which would help both.

vCash
    I don't think just skating well will be enough when the field is very deep and competitive. I think Liza could work on the 3A, provided she resolves her SP problems of course. May be smart choreographers that can bring out a skater's strengths could become imoortant (more so than now).

vCash
    Well just skating well might now be enough for everyone but for the moment it is enough for Sotnikova and Lipnitskaia. At this years Nationals it was a foregone conclusion for both if they had a relatively clean short and made atleast 4 triples in the long they would be the top 2, regardless what anyone else did. Now this might change for them when the others improve, which will probably happen in the coming years. Radianova especialy has lots more improvement left (and is already really good) so will push those two more. Tuktamysheva still has alot of potential, but whether she ever gets it all together, who knows. I honestly think she needs atleast some outside influence beyond Mishin though. Even if she gets over her short program woes her packaging now wont take her much further. Right now though neither Sot. or Lip. have to do anything out of their comfort zone to be safe making the Russian team though. That is why I tried to focus on what they have to do to improve their standing outside Russia, as for the moment they are by far the top 2 in Russia.

I do think Tuk. could work on her 3axel. She gets enough height and I see her as having the type of technique she could do it. I dont know if she could do the quad, I think that would be more likely for Radianova or even Anna P. due to her their very quick rotation. Tuktamysheva especialy needs an extra big trick to pull her over people like Sotnikova or Lipnitskaia right now I think.

vCash
    Julia could work on 2a
    Adelina needs to work on flips and packaging
    It's really vitally important Liza leave mishin because as of this time she has no sp ability or pcs strengths in any category and in total and no way to succeed.
    Pogorilaya could use 2a packaging revision

vCash
    Julia just needs time to develop more command and presence / gravitas on the ice. The judges love her. But, there is something about her jumps that is off-putting to me; they don't get a lot of lift and power. IDK if she will continue to grow up, but she's definitely going to get boobs and hips, so I hope her jumps can handle the coming changes to her body.

Adelina needs more consistency which I think there is hope for based on Russian Nationals.

Liza is my sentimental favorite. I like her even more as an underdog, so I hope she gets it together and can put this 'lost season' behind her.

I admire Alena for her grit and determination, but I still think it's only a matter of time she gets swallowed up by the ranks of the advancing Russian babies. Worlds in March will be the last time the Russian ladies only have 2 spots, so it will be interesting to see what happens going forward.

vCash
    This is unnecessary risk but maybe Sotnikova can try 4T. Her triple has good height and because of that her 3T+3T looks scary. This could be huge advantage.

vCash
    Yeah I agree. She should try for the 4 toe-3 toe combination rather than the 3 toe-3 toe if she can.

Spin Alissa Spin!!!
    vCash
    I think they just need time to mature.

There's a big change from when Kim, Asada, Kostner, Wagner and Korpi first started seniors at 15-16. I prefer their skating much more today (after they've grown) to when they were younger. There's a big difference in maturity after a few years.