Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Partying with Oda
    Posts
    4,222
    vCash
    1799
    Rep Power
    33132

    Why is it called "Ice" Dance?

    I mean, isn't that kind of obvious? What else could it be? Roller dance? We don't say "ice pairs."

    Okay, it's a silly thread.
    "I hit him with my shoes... if he had given me the medal like I told him to, I wouldn't have had to hit him!" -- 8-year-old Rhoda Penmark in "The Bad Seed"

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    24,950
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    91441
    I guess to distinguish it from something like Ballroom dance, Square dance, Folk dance, etc. since Dance is a common term. 'Pairs' is not.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Partying with Oda
    Posts
    4,222
    vCash
    1799
    Rep Power
    33132
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    I guess to distinguish it from something like Ballroom dance, Square dance, Folk dance, etc. since Dance is a common term. 'Pairs' is not.
    Fair enough. I'm just in a silly mood on Christmas.
    "I hit him with my shoes... if he had given me the medal like I told him to, I wouldn't have had to hit him!" -- 8-year-old Rhoda Penmark in "The Bad Seed"

  4. #4
    Argle-Bargle-ist
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Age
    50
    Posts
    8,564
    vCash
    875
    Rep Power
    76283
    Dance took longer to take hold in the skating world in relation to singles and pairs skating. So, in the 1940's, the Häagen-Dazs company starting sponsoring dance teams to develop this discipline. At that time, to honour the sponsor, the sport was called ice cream dance. Eventually, they skimmed off the cream and we were left with ice dance. More info at Wikipedia.
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Driving the Han Yan Fan Van
    Posts
    9,172
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    33791
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    Dance took longer to take hold in the skating world in relation to singles and pairs skating. So, in the 1940's, the Häagen-Dazs company starting sponsoring dance teams to develop this discipline. At that time, to honour the sponsor, the sport was called ice cream dance. Eventually, they skimmed off the cream and we were left with ice dance. More info at Wikipedia.
    BARK LESS. WAG MORE.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    24,950
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    91441
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    Dance took longer to take hold in the skating world in relation to singles and pairs skating. So, in the 1940's, the Häagen-Dazs company starting sponsoring dance teams to develop this discipline. At that time, to honour the sponsor, the sport was called ice cream dance. Eventually, they skimmed off the cream and we were left with ice dance. More info at Wikipedia.
    LOL. Peter, you have a strange sense of humor. Thanks for the laugh.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    2,219
    vCash
    5550
    Rep Power
    17276
    LOL, you nailed it again Peter. I can't rep you again yet.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Partying with Oda
    Posts
    4,222
    vCash
    1799
    Rep Power
    33132
    Quote Originally Posted by RFOS View Post
    LOL, you nailed it again Peter. I can't rep you again yet.
    Same here!
    "I hit him with my shoes... if he had given me the medal like I told him to, I wouldn't have had to hit him!" -- 8-year-old Rhoda Penmark in "The Bad Seed"

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Posts
    1,399
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    630
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    Dance took longer to take hold in the skating world in relation to singles and pairs skating. So, in the 1940's, the Häagen-Dazs company starting sponsoring dance teams to develop this discipline. At that time, to honour the sponsor, the sport was called ice cream dance. Eventually, they skimmed off the cream and we were left with ice dance. More info at Wikipedia.
    I knew that, but Peter beat me to it.

    Heard it on 'Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me'

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    2,107
    vCash
    1554
    Rep Power
    17003
    Quote Originally Posted by skateboy View Post
    I mean, isn't that kind of obvious? What else could it be? Roller dance? We don't say "ice pairs."

    Okay, it's a silly thread.
    Roller dance? I thought it was Roller boogie.

  11. #11

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    The Top of Utah!!
    Age
    55
    Posts
    7,536
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    17978
    Well, it has to be called something...
    Nubka - Unpaid Slave Laborer...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •