Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast
    vCash

Plushenko out of Olympics (singles); finishes second at Russian Nationals

"Plushenko out of Olympic individual event

By Dmitry Zaks (AFP) – 1 hour ago

Moscow — Russian figure skating great Yevgeny Plushenko said Wednesday that nagging injuries will keep him from contesting the individual competition at the 2014 Winter Olympic Games on home soil in Sochi.

The shock decision deprives Russians of the chance to cheer on one of the country's biggest sports stars and cuts short a long-shot comeback from back injury for the flamboyant 31-year-old."

"Plushenko said he will still take part in the newly-created team competition that will be contested in Sochi on a trial basis for the first time.

"I think that I will select the team event and cede my spot in the men's competition to a young athlete," the R-Sport news agency quoted Plushenko as saying on the sidelines of the Russian Championships in Sochi."

"But he only placed second at this week's Russian championships in Sochi after finishing behind 18-year-old Maxim Kovtun in the free programme."

"Plushenko added that he would also skip next month's European Championships in Budapest in order to focus on a fitness programme that could get him back into shape."

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp...3ccb219e&hl=en
    Last edited by nicecardshark; 12-25-2013 at 09:02 PM.

vCash
    All I have to say is what a jerk. He hasn't "earned that team spot." Nice that he'll take the event that gives the best shot at an Olympic medal.

vCash
    I thought a country could not add another skater to the team competition? It does not make sense that Plushenko is open to participating in the team event but not the individual one (that is if he is selected- I doubt he will be unless he does well at Euros and he is not going there). Even if that was allowed-

From the article posted above:

"The Russian figure skating chief added that recent performances meant that Plushenko's place in the team competition in Sochi was not entirely assured.

"The figure skater has every chance of making the Olympic team," Gorshkov simply said."

vCash
    I think he's more than earned that spot. But if he's in pain, I hope he'll withdraw.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessLeppard View Post
    I think he's more than earned that spot. But if he's in pain, I hope he'll withdraw.
    Based on what-four years ago? If that's the case then maybe Yagudin should go too. I think Katerina Witt and Michelle Kwan could represent their perspective countries as well.

Plushenko isn't showing a good level now. And I'm not convinced at all that he'd do better than Kovtun.

vCash
    'I think that I will select the team event and cede my spot in the men's competition to a young athlete' - I'm sorry but his arrogance is just ugly.

Yes, whether you like him or not, he is a figure skating legend and one of the most accomplished Russian skaters in recent years. But Kovtun did skate better at Nationals, he did have a strong season so far and he won fair and square. The Olympic spot isn't Plushenko's to give away. Seriously.

vCash
    "I think that I will select the team event and cede my spot in the men's competition to a young athlete,"
    I am a little confused here. Considering that Russia has just one spot in the men's event for the Sochi Olympics, can the Russian Federation send two men there, one to compete in the team event and the other one in the individual event?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bek View Post
    Based on what-four years ago? If that's the case then maybe Yagudin should go too. I think Katerina Witt and Michelle Kwan could represent their perspective countries as well.

Plushenko isn't showing a good level now. And I'm not convinced at all that he'd do better than Kovtun.
    Two years ago he won the Europeans. He can still skate a great SP. We are not talking of 4 years ago. Yagudin retired after 2002- that's 10-11 years ago. No comparison at all.
    Last edited by Vash01; 12-25-2013 at 08:21 PM.

AYS's snark-sponge
    vCash
    What Vash said, I thought only those who are competing already in singles are eligible for the team event.
    Congratulations 2014 World Ice Dance Champions Anna Cappellini & Luca Lanotte!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VarBar View Post
    I am a little confused here. Considering that Russia has just one spot in the men's event for the Sochi Olympics, can the Russian Federation send two men there, one to compete in the team event and the other one in the individual event?
    That's exactly my question in post #3. In my opinion the rules should be modified to allow 2 skaters when a country qualifies for the team event, but I don't know what the current rules are. I didn't think they allowed this.

vCash
    "He lead the competitin after a short skate" I don't think anyone knows what was said or what's going on especially the writers of these articles.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    Two years ago he won the Europeans. He can still skate a great SP. We are not talking of 4 years ago. Yagudin retired after 2002- that's 13-14 years ago. No comparison at all.
    The team event is both a short and a long. Its not like this thing will just affect Plushenko. There is an Olympic gold medal on the line for many athletes. So he was European Champ 2 years ago. Leonova was World Silver medalist two years ago..So should she automatically go even though others are skating better than her now?

Kovtun was a junior skater two years ago.

Plushenko has had more opportunities than most skaters. He's got three Olympic medals including a gold. Why does he have to insist on this spot when someone else is clearly skating better than him.

Kovtun may never have an opportunity to win an Olympic medal. I am not a fan of older skaters should automatically retire for the younger ones. But to insist you deserve a spot on the Olympic team- based on results from two years ago is really wrong.

If he wants to go, he should go to Euros and outskate Kovtun there fair and square.
    Last edited by bek; 12-25-2013 at 08:04 PM.

having a nice day
    vCash
    Fine. Send kovtun. More fun when he fails and all the Plushenko fans can say "if only....!"
    Have a nice day!

vCash
    Direct link to ISU Communication No. 1839 - OLYMPIC WINTER GAMES 2014 ENTRIES/PARTICIPATION FIGURE SKATING TEAM EVENT: http://isu.sportcentric.net/db//files/serve.php?id=5038 (PDF)
    Relevant excerpts:
    2. Confirmation and Entry Procedure
    NOCs/ISU Members with Teams who have qualified Skaters/Couples in an individual OWG competition/discipline (the “qualified Skaters/Couples”) in Single Lady, Single Man, Pair Skating, Ice Dance) and who have chosen to compete in the Figure Skating Team Event, must list the respective qualified Skaters/Couples of such discipline also as entries for the Figure Skating Team Event and may not enter different Skaters/Couples for such discipline.

Also, the same NOCs/ISU Members must have their Skaters competing in all the competitions/disciplines of the Figure Skating Team event for which they have entries in the individual OWG competition/discipline. This means that if for example an NOC/Member has only one entry for a discipline/competition, this Skater or couple may not choose to skate only the individual OWG competition and skip the Figure Skating Team Event competition.

The Skaters/Couples competing in the Free Skating must be the same as those having competed in the Short Program/Short Dance, however each Team has the option to replace up to two (2) entries (two Single Skaters or one Single Skater (Lady or Man) plus one couple (Pair Skating or Ice Dance) or both the Pair Skating and Ice Dance Couples) between the Short Program/Short Dance and the Free Skating/Free Dance provided such qualified Skaters/Couple is part of the accredited delegation on site of the OWG.

4. IOC Athlete Replacement Policy (in case of injury and/or illness)
    The official IOC Athlete Replacement Policy in force at the time of the Sochi Olympic Winter Games applies. For entries related to the Figure Skating Team Event, it is possible to make athletes replacements only up to and during the Team Leaders confirmation meeting for the Figure Skating Team Event, scheduled for 10.00 a.m. on February 5th, 2014.
    For entries related to individual Figure Skating events (Pair Skating, Men, Ice Dance, Ladies) it is possible to make athletes replacements only up to and during the Team Leaders meeting for the Figure Skating (individual) events scheduled for 10.00 a.m. on February 10th, 2014.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 12-25-2013 at 08:10 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bek View Post
    The team event is both a short and a long. Its not like this thing will just affect Plushenko. There is an Olympic gold medal on the line for many athletes. So he was European Champ 2 years ago. Leonova was World Silver medalist two years ago..So should she automatically go even though others are skating better than her now?

Kovtun was a junior skater two years ago.
    and Kovtun completely blew his performance at last year's worlds. That is why Russia has just one spot in mens event. His being a Jr. skater 2 years ago has no relevance at all.

If Leonova skates well tomorrow and at Euros, she should receive consideration.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    and Kovtun completely blew his performance at last year's worlds. That is why Russia has just one spot in mens event. His being a Jr. skater 2 years ago has no relevance at all.

If Leonova skates well tomorrow and at Euros, she should receive consideration.
    If she skates well, but Plushenko didn't skate well.

vCash
    The scheduling is perfect to allow plushenko team and kovtun individual but its not going to happen its all kovtun.

AYS's snark-sponge
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Direct link to ISU Communication No. 1839 - OLYMPIC WINTER GAMES 2014 ENTRIES/PARTICIPATION FIGURE SKATING TEAM EVENT: http://isu.sportcentric.net/db//files/serve.php?id=5038 (PDF)
    Relevant excerpts:
    Thanks Sylvia.

I'm still confused
    Congratulations 2014 World Ice Dance Champions Anna Cappellini & Luca Lanotte!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by caseyedwards View Post
    The scheduling is perfect to allow plushenko team and kovtun individual but its not going to happen its all kovtun.
    What happens if Plush gets injured after the short program, they can't replace him in the team event. Which means the entire Russian team-gets screwed out of an Olympic medal.

Its not even just about Kovtun vs Plushenko. If anything it would be "fairer" to let Plush do the Olympic individual event only and Kovtun do the team. But Plush doesn't want that because the Olympic medal shot is best for him in the team. He's being very selfish.

He wants an Olympic spot he should go to Europeans and out skate Kovtun there.

aspiring tri-national
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by caseyedwards View Post
    What part of "and who have chosen to compete in the Figure Skating Team Event, must list the respective qualified Skaters/Couples of such discipline also as entries for the Figure Skating Team Event and may not enter different Skaters/Couples for such discipline" isn't clear to you?

Maybe Plushy is too dumb to understand the rules but the rest of us shouldn't be.
    "Youth and vigor is no match for age and deceit." -- Prancer

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast