View Poll Results: Which 2 U.S. man are you hoping will make the 2014 Olympic team?

Voters
213. You may not vote on this poll
  • Max Aaron

44 20.66%
  • Jeremy Abbott

83 38.97%
  • Jason Brown

111 52.11%
  • Stephen Carriere

2 0.94%
  • Richard Dornbush

20 9.39%
  • Joshua Farris

10 4.69%
  • Grant Hochstein

4 1.88%
  • Ross Miner

7 3.29%
  • Brandon Mroz

3 1.41%
  • Douglas Razzano

3 1.41%
  • Adam Rippon

128 60.09%
  • Other (Messing, Dolensky, ?)

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    The world will have lots of opportunities to see Jason, I think. He is only 18.
    I agree and disagree. I think I might be too jaded to believe that any one person can help improve the popularity of US skating, but I certainly don't think it hurts to have someone as charismatic and talented represent us. I think people also get more attached to athletes they've watched develop, so yes while he has many years, I don't think it's a bad thing to put him out there as long as it's done right. Also, nothing is guaranteed in life. He could have an injury at some point, that shortens his career. I think he should get every opportunity he deserves to to achieve as much as he can.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Primorskaya View Post
    Adam & Jason. This is the first time Abbot's not on my list, but those two have been thrilling me this season and he hasn't.
    They are both great, but do you really want to send 2 skaters who don't have stable 3axels? It's entirely possible that if Jason and Adam were the team, that there wouldn't be one clean 3a landed between the 2 of them in 2 programs. Neither has landed 2 clean 3axels in their FS in any of their international events this season. Not to say the rest of their skating isn't great, it is, and Adam is having some success with his quads, but I would feel safer having at least one strong technician on the Olympic team - someone like Max or Joshua. Besides the questionable 3axels, neither Rippon or Brown are particularly great jumpers in general and the risk of URs and meek GOEs on jump elements for them is higher than for some others. I know they can make a lot up in spins and steps, but skaters like Joshua or Richard are strong spinners too and have better jumps, even Max's spins are fine and Jeremy is stronger artistically than anyone and while his jumps are hit or miss, at least his 3a is stronger and more consistent than those of Rippon or Brown.

vCash
    I would totally back having Max on the team as a strong technician and then one of Adam and Jason, but Max hasn't been the consistent quad machine he was last year. At Skate America, he looked incredibly shaky and I was shocked he came out with a medal at all. Adam and Jason have been far more consistent, and with Jason it's a matter of nerves with his 3A- in his junior worlds skate from earlier this year his 3As were very high and nice, unlike the ones at Skate America where he was having issues with nerves. My main argument with having a team of Jason and Adam is that Jason has been extremely consistent with his SP, it's been very quality and consistent throughout the season and this would help in the team event greatly. Adam has a very strong LP too, and he seems to be getting much better with his quads. Having Jason skate the SP and Adam skate the LP seems like it would be a really good idea for a team event IMO.

vCash
    I guess from a logical perspective it would make sense to send one technician and one artist or complete package. So from that perspective maybe a good idea to send whichever of Aaron, Miner, or Farris skates better at Nationals, and then give the spot to whichever of Abbott, Rippon, Dornbush, Brown skates better. Then on another side as the U.S doesnt probably have any real medal hopes this year, maybe best to send someone who might be around for 2018. That would probably rule out Abbott, and possibly rule out Rippon or Miner (well the latter two might be around then but I doubt they will be World contenders or much stronger than they are now).

Title-less
    vCash
    I'm still in shock that Sylvia started a US nationals poll.

vCash
    ^^^ So am I!
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Rippon and Brown
    Check out my figure skating blog out at:
    http://videoreplayartistry.blogspot.com/

vCash
    Adam and Jason!!

vCash
    Adam Rippon and Jason Brown. I love Abbott, too, but Adam and Jason even more.
    Rippon is also Mr. Finnice´s biggest favourite. If he would skate at the Olys, Mr. Finice would watch with me.

vCash
    pinky and judgejudy, I'd get behind the "one artist, one technician" argument if there was such a thing as a super reliable technician among US men. There isn't. Aaron and Miner have absolutely nothing to prop them up if their jumps desert them, Brown and Rippon have plenty.

It's just my wish anyway, Nats will decide. There's no point trying to peer too far into the future. Anything could happen in the next quadrennial. Jason is young, but anyone can get a career-ending injury (Skategods please don't hear this!), you can't ever know if "right now" isn't the only chance a skater might have. They can't afford to hold back, calculate and speculate...
    Touching the void.

vCash
    Rippon leading the poll, didn't see it coming at all.

Abbott and Brown for me.

vCash
    I would love it if Jason out of nowhere suddenly unleashed a quad at Nationals. If he skated fairly clean there is no way he wouldn't make the team. As it is there is only one skater landing quads consistently and that's Max so he probably doesn't need it at least against the US Men.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LKR View Post
    Rippon and Brown
    That certainly is a popular and likely combination. I voted for them too before I checked results or read the thread. Good luck to both.

I am simply over Abbott and think Farris hasn't performed well enough this season.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pinky166 View Post
    They are both great, but do you really want to send 2 skaters who don't have stable 3axels?
    I don't think it matters, personally, I don't see any US man who can challenge for the podium. I mean, a bronze for any of them would be a long shot. Both Rippon and Brown have skated excellently this season, consistent 3As or not.
    I really like Max, and would be happy with him on the team, but as a "strong technician" he has faltered a bit this season too. Maybe not on 3A, but he hasn't repeated his brilliant nationals skate from last year.

I think Brown is actually a long-shot for the team though, as much as he is a popular choice.

vCash
    Dornbush and either Rippon or Aaron. Abbott is an eternal headcase. (Yes, I know, Dornbush is too -- who said ubers had to be logical? But Abbott's an even bigger headcase.) As for Brown, I do like him, but I think his lack of a quad would be a more important factor than many people seem to realize. And I say that as someone who hates quads.

I'll vote for Rippon in the poll, I guess, just because he's had such a good season.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

vCash
    Since this was in the 'hoping for' category, I went with Abbott & Farris. I realize it's a pretty unlikely scenario for both of them to skate 2 clean programs, though. Men's will be a blood bath at Nationals, but I'm fine with lots of skaters making the Olympic team, so I'm just looking forward to a well-skated event.

vCash
    Adam & Max!

Jason as my backup.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Primorskaya View Post
    pinky and judgejudy, I'd get behind the "one artist, one technician" argument if there was such a thing as a super reliable technician among US men. There isn't. Aaron and Miner have absolutely nothing to prop them up if their jumps desert them, Brown and Rippon have plenty.

It's just my wish anyway, Nats will decide. There's no point trying to peer too far into the future. Anything could happen in the next quadrennial. Jason is young, but anyone can get a career-ending injury (Skategods please don't hear this!), you can't ever know if "right now" isn't the only chance a skater might have. They can't afford to hold back, calculate and speculate...
    Yeah the issue is consistency. Adam and Jason are not natural or particularly strong jumpers, but they are about as consistent with their jumps as anyone else in the US and what they might lack in GOE there they can make up in GOE on spins and steps. The jumps of Aaron, Farris, Dornbush, even Abbott have the potential to be better (at least in terms of 3a size and quality) but this season, those guys have been more off with their jumps than Rippon and Brown so it hardly matters. I like the idea of having a strong jumper on the team, but in order for it to happen, they need to actually land their jumps. And Rippon and Browns jumps are fine - even the 3axels when they land/rotate them cleanly, the jumps are just smaller and not as "wow" as some of the other guys IMO, but if they are going to land them and rock everything else, than it probably doesn't matter.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    I guess from a logical perspective it would make sense to send one technician and one artist or complete package. So from that perspective maybe a good idea to send whichever of Aaron, Miner, or Farris skates better at Nationals, and then give the spot to whichever of Abbott, Rippon, Dornbush, Brown skates better. Then on another side as the U.S doesnt probably have any real medal hopes this year, maybe best to send someone who might be around for 2018. That would probably rule out Abbott, and possibly rule out Rippon or Miner (well the latter two might be around then but I doubt they will be World contenders or much stronger than they are now).
    The thing is, I feel like Dornbush and Farris are actually a good combination of technique and artistry, so I'd be totally down for that team, if either were more consistent. I feel like these two have potential for the future and have more powerful jumps than Rippon and Brown with stronger spins and more artistic expression than Miner and Aaron. Last season, Farris was consistent too, but this season is different and now he's coming back from an injury. Ricky's 3a seems to be back and stronger than ever, and his programs are great this season, but the quad is MIA for the most part and it's the same deal for Josh, so given the state of this season, they aren't the most logical team despite my thoughts that they are the most complete skaters of the bunch. Rippon and Brown are complete skaters too, as is Abbott, but Abbott's body is giving out on him so his chances of landing quads at a big event are even less than Ricky or Josh, and Rippon and Brown, I just feel like their jumps are tiny and eeked out compared to the other guys. They get the job done but Farris has pretty huge jumps and so does Dornbush.

vCash
    Farris and Dornbush are good packages if they skate well, but Farris has not been skating well all season which I am very dissapointed by. Dornbush had a good performance in his last event, hopefully he can build on that. I would be hapy as that for the team, but I dont have much confidence in either to deliver at Nationals. Dornbush due to his long history, and Farris due to his season.

To the people who say Brown and Rippon have alot to hold them up even if they some jumps, I would have to mostly disagree. Yes they can get good PCS, but Brown is technically limited for todays standards right now even if he skates cleanly, so if he misses any jumps his scores will not be good, and he also doesnt have the rep yet to get really high PCS internationally either. Rippon has never gotten huge PCS internationally, and technically even on a good day he is also limited so has to skate cleanly if he is going to do respectably. I think the only U.S men that can make some mistakes internationally and still score well are Abbott and to some degree due to his difficulty Aaron (even with his lowish PCS). Aaron made alot more mistakes than Rippon at Skate America and still nearly beat him, even with much lower PCS. It is worrying Aaron doesnt have even close to the technical consistency he had to end last season though, and yes without that he is in trouble, and there seems less point to send him unless he turns it around at Nationals. Unfortunately in Abbotts case especialy he cant even keep it within that margin, and tries to see if he is Patrick Chan to the judges (which he is not). He can score well internationally even with some mistakes, but not with a meltdown, and it is more often the latter.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast