vCash

Will Oda continue

He is way too talented a skater to retire without a World medal. I hope this isnt it for him.

vCash
    I can definitely see why he wouldn't as he can be viewed as totally being screwed over this year! But I think it all depends what is going on personally and how that situation is all working out and if that situation can continue on for another 4 years. It's already gone on 4 years though!

vCash
    I think if he continues past this season, a time will come when everything will fall into place for him. He has the talent and he works hard. He needs more success at the GPs next season, and needs to medal at his nationals. He has the talent to accomplish that.

vCash
    He will probably retire because (1) he is married with kids (2) he is not young by figure skating standards. Will see.
    Prosperity makes friends, adversity tries them. – Publilius Syrus

vCash
    He has said he would retire, so I doubt he will continue. Very sad, he might have medalled at Olympics and/or Worlds this year. Besides Hanyu, he was the only Japanese man who skated consistently decent programs this season. It's over.
    "I hit him with my shoes... if he had given me the medal like I told him to, I wouldn't have had to hit him!" -- 8-year-old Rhoda Penmark in "The Bad Seed"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skateboy View Post
    HBesides Hanyu, he was the only Japanese man who skated consistently decent programs this season.
    Actually i would say say Machida has been by far the most consistent Japanese man this season. He only had one bad or even mediocre program (short program at the GPF). His skating really doesnt do it for me, but you cant deny him that. Oda would be the 2nd most consistent, but Hanyu has found lights out form for several performances in a row now, after a very slow start to his year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    Actually i would say say Machida has been by far the most consistent Japanese man this season. He only had one bad or even mediocre program (short program at the GPF). His skating really doesnt do it for me, but you cant deny him that. Oda would be the 2nd most consistent, but Hanyu has found lights out form for several performances in a row now, after a very slow start to his year.
    I think Machida's a loose cannon. Yes, he's had some good results, but that bad SP at GPF was really bad (26 points cannot be considered even mediocre). I feel like his jump technique is iffy (scratchy and wonky landings), but that he's done a good job of "willing" some very decent skates this season (which is certainly commendable). I can't deny that he's earned his ticket to the Olys, but not because he's one of the best three Japanese skaters (IMO).

I'd definitely say Oda was more consistent, in terms of overall skating quality.
    "I hit him with my shoes... if he had given me the medal like I told him to, I wouldn't have had to hit him!" -- 8-year-old Rhoda Penmark in "The Bad Seed"

vCash
    I hope Nobu & Taka get to compete @ 4CC, and if there are any retirements/withdrawals from Worlds.

vCash
    Oda announced his retirement, including his decision to not compete at 4CC. With typical grace he has apparently included the comment that he hopes that a younger skater can benefit from the opportunity to compete at 4CC.

vCash
    Nobunari just announced his immediate retirement.

He's not going to 4CC. The Nationals were his last competition.

I'm too upset to comment.

Takahito Mura will replace him at 4CC.

vCash
    Wasted. Talent.